Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transfers from Munich/Salzburg

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Flights into Munich instead of Salzburg from Manchester are about £100 each cheaper for January. But are there any transfer services to take us to our resort (Schladming)?

I've found a few quotes for Salzburg-Schladming for aroung €200 (http://www.transferservice.at/index_en.php)

But the only quotes I can find for Munich-Schladming are way more, around £700.

The other option from Munich would be to hire a car at ~£200 for the week + £25 each way for fuel. Does that sound about right? I would assume the hire car would have the winter tyres/snow chains required for winter driving?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scottland, Train ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like there's a direct train link between Graz airport and Schladming.

http://www.oebb.at/pv/de/Servicebox/Fahrplanabfrage/index.jsp?S=graz&REQ0JourneyDate=01.09.2008&timesel=depart&start=1&ld=oebb&Z=schladming&time=16%3A15&image.x=82&image.y=21

Bahnhof/Haltestelle = trainstation / bus stop
Datum = Date
Zeit Dauer = time duration
Umst. = No of changeovers

Munich takes 1 to 2.5 hours longer and involves changing trains at Salzburg.

If there are a few of you car hire might work out cheaper and traveling from Linz or Klagenfurt airport is also worth considering.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I actually drove Munich Schladming last week. A bit of a long trip on the way down, autobahn in germany was very busy and slow. Took almost 4 hours! On the way back pretty clear so just over 2.5 hours. As motorways go quite a scenic route but probably not a top priority when rushing to go skiing.

I've looked at transfers previously and not found anything that cheap. One option I did think about was getting a transfer bus from munich to salzburg, I think Lufthansa run such a service and it's quite cheap (80euros?). Then get from Salzburg to Schladming. Not an ideal solution. The other thing that slows you down is that Munich is a large airport, just getting from arrivals to car hire adds time compared to Salzburg. But the big advantage is you don't have to use ryanair.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hmm cheers, I'm won't use Ryanair anyway Neh Neh

Gives me something to think about I guess, I worked it out hire&drive costs about £60 less - but is it worth it for the extra hassle? I'll have to have a think!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There *should* be cheaper transfers....the company that run transfers to Obertauern, (linked to off the main Obertauern website, they are called something like Reisen Habsersatter) did it for €27 single and €42 return from Salzburg this winter. Salzburg-Schladming and Salzburg-Obertauern are about the same mileage I think, and mostly the same route. I wonder if that company would do it to Schladming for a similar price - they speak decent English and were pretty helpful over email when we had a last minute trip hiccup.

In terms of Munich transfers, you could give Snowscape a call (they are a company that are half way between a tour op and a DIY facilitator for Austria, mainly Tirol). They quoted me £55 a head for Munich to Kitzbuhel a couple of years ago. Can't remember which transfer company they used then.

I don't remember car hire being a particular hassle at Munich but as waynos says you have to walk a little way. However I think compared to waiting for a transfer or a train connection, you'll be out of the airport quickest in a rented car.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JimiHendrix, the transfer company do the Salzburg-Schladming run. ....
http://www.reisen-habersatter.at/transfer-en.php
Recommended
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scottland, The car hire desks are a greater distance than most but you're talking 5 -10 mins max.

The train is the quickest way out of the airport, however you are only boarding the S-bahn local network at the airport. You then have a 45 min journey to reach either the Ostbahnhof or the Hauptbahnhof in Munich. Trains are nice and relaxing but looking at the OBB website you are looking at 4.5- 5 hours on average journey time, depending on your arrival time in Munich.

Unless the weather is atrocious you are likely to be far quicker driving, plus you then have wheels to get around the huge Ski Amade area of which Schladming is part. The only potential downside is if you are arriving in Munich on a Saturday or Sunday morning the the road can be very busy with weekend or day trip skiers heading the same way. You may have seen the other thread recently on suitable tyres, When renting at Munich you will likely have to pay for snow tyres even though they are already on the car, chains are not compulsary, very much up to you. I have never actually needed them in Germany or Austria.

The drive is Autobahn all the way until you turn off at Altenmarkt for the last 35km or so to Schladming, you will need to stop and buy an Austrian Autobahn Vignette near the border, it costs 10 euros for 10 days but the fine if you don't is something like 5000 euros!

One more thing, in respect of your username, you presumably live closer to Manchester than Edinburgh? Easyjet fly to Munich from Edinburgh and the flight times are spot on to miss the traffic at weekends.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://kaernten.orf.at/stories/123809/

Link is in German but it basically says Thomsonfly (Tui group) will be flying direct from Manchester to Klagenfurt in the period mid Dec to mid April. This airport is nearer to Schladming than Munich and you would be driving in the opposite direction to most of the traffic thus greatly reducing the chance of traffic holdups.

IMHO not worth the hassle if all you are saving is 60 GBP.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB wrote:
IMHO not worth the hassle if all you are saving is 60 GBP.

Thats what I'm currently thinking to be honest, I think flying into Salzburg might just be easier all round. It's just a little irritating that Thomson are the only ones flying into Salzburg from Manchester. I've looked into flying from a London airport but it's not worth the ~5hour drive to get there + costs.

We can actually fly during the week cheaper than the Saturday flight, but it doesn't land in Salzburg until 20:30 in the evening, meaning we probably won't get to Schladming until nigh on midnight.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scottland,

I think Jet2.com do Leeds/Bradford to Salzburg.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah, unfortunately they're the same sort of price ~£210-220 as Thomson, and another 60mins or so to the Airport. Lufthansa from Manchester to Munich is £96 plus Ski carrige.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scottland, Thomsonfly also fly into Salzburg from Coventry and Doncaster Sheffield.
If a late night weekday flight is an option you could stay overnight near the airport and transfer to resort the next morning ready to move straight into your accom and get a half day jumpstart on the saturday travellers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandSkier, yeah I've thought about that - or even staying at Gatwick and flying from there. But by the time you've sorted out staying somewhere and checking in late at night, you may well have just forked out the extra.

I'm the one that's been lumped with arranging and booking everything, so I guess if I'm happy paying the extra £60 or so, they'll have to as well! Very Happy

Thanks for all the options though guys, gives me something to think about.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy