Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which resort for a ski rep?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

I'm doing my first ski season this year with Crystal. I know I'm going to be posted in France but further to that I don't know where they are posting me. Having done similar stuff before, they often post you to a place if you are knowledgeable or enthusiatic about a particular area or resort.

Can anyone recommend a resort in the Alps that would be ideal for an entire seaosn in terms of;

-Snow
-Apres-ski
-Ski area

Any previous experience reps may have would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Matt
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snow_bum, welcome to snowheads, and I hope you have a fantastic season, work hard and enjoy it all (or most of it, anyway). However, if I were interviewing you with a view to deciding where you should be placed I wouldn't be too impressed if your knowledge of a particular resort came from a forum, rather than first hand experience!!!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Plagne for all bit iffy on the apres ...any knowledge of a resort should put you ahead of the rest snowHead wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was a chalet-boy with Crystal in Meribel about a decade ago. We were all v jealous of the commission that the reps managed to earn. Effectively, they get a cut of the money raised from guests in terms of lift passes, ski hire, restaurant bookings, pub-crawls, quiz nights etc. As such, alhough you would be made to work a bit harder, any resort with lots of chalets (i.e. lots of guests) would give you the greatest chance of earning money. Most of the large resorts also have good ski areas and snow records.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snow_bum,

Do you get a choice? was under the impression that you gave a wish list but the employer had final say over placement.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A good place to ask that would be natives.co.uk
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome to snowHeads.

pam w wrote:
... However, if I were interviewing you with a view to deciding where you should be placed I wouldn't be too impressed if your knowledge of a particular resort came from a forum, rather than first hand experience!!!!!

I don't see what is wrong with him asking on here - how else is he going to make a judgement on where best to ask to be sent?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snow_bum, Chamonix would be my choice... nice short reliable transfer, a proper town to live in, tons of variety to hold your interest from a personal skiing perspective, spectacular setting, places to hide (have you practiced your disappearing technique yet) and plenty of add-ons to sell.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Me neither. Seems a sound way of doing things.
snow_bum, have you been anywhere in France before? If so, did the resorts 'tickle your fancy' so to speak?

I've only been to La Plagne and Les Gets/Morzine but both were great places. La Plagne is deffo a brilliant place to be throughout the season but as mentioned, is has a limited nightlife but amazingly vast ski area. Have heard Les Arcs is also very good. Really good snow throughout the season tooo, plus loads of off-piste.

Les Gets/Morzine is another brilliant area and of course you have the link to the 650km of Portes Du Soleil. However, LG and Morzine are low (1000m) so be mindful of less snow cover.

If you have a choice then why not err towards the major areas like Espace Killy, Chamonix, LDA, Paradiski? Enjoy...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers for the advice. I'm not sure about having any choice. I assume I don't really get any real say but I know from previous experience, if you butter up the right people and say the right things, you get can have some limited influence.

I've been to Alp d'Huez, Montgenevre, La Plagne, Les Arcs, Claviere in France. So I've got some experience of the area.

Is there any advice people could give in general from the perspective of being rep out in resort? For example, how to set about getting a few freebies or cultivating the relationships that are gonna make life a lot more enjoyable out there?

Thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snow_bum, You may get a more informed/up to date answer by asking the same question on Natives Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snow_bum wrote:
I've been to Alp d'Huez, Montgenevre, La Plagne, Les Arcs, Claviere in France. So I've got some experience of the area.

Err, Claviere is in Italy! wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd have thought that going in with an attitude of where will I get the best freebies is a recipe for disaster. If you like somewhere you've been ask to be posted there, but most resorts aren't that big such that you couldn't spend a day going round the shops, bars and restaurants in order to ascertain what they were like and be in a position to "advise" clients as to their merits. Be aware that a lot of punters will assume that as a rep you'll be on a kick back so may take your advice with a pinch of salt.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm certainly not looking for a resort on the strength of how many handouts or freebies I may be able to receive. I'm trying to understand some of the 'tricks of the trade' that some past reps may have employed to make life a little easier. Wherever I end up I'm going to make the most of it and do the job properly. The number of times I've been on a ski holiday and had to deal with brainless, ignorant reps makes me want to make a proper fist at it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snow_bum, As others have hinted at Toofy Grin natives.co.uk is a mine of information for seasonnaires (people working in resort) like you.

However, Snowheads is a very friendly place (usually Toofy Grin ), so please visit us and post here as well! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
snow_bum, Firstly welcome to snowHead 's.

Please do not take this the wrong way as it is meant to be helpful! As an employer if I felt that you are looking to find the tricks of the trade ahead of looking after my customers I would not offer you a job! You have to put the customer first always! Be enthusiastic about how you can bring your personality to help the company.

Bear in mind that many snowHead 's may be customers of Crystal or even perhaps some on your interview panel. No doubt that the name snow_bum, is just a play on words and in no way related to the amount of work you are prepared to put in to your new employer! wink

Once you know exactly what position you will have in the resort no doubt the older "lags" will give you the low down on what is done and condoned by the company!

If towards the end of the season a rep has lost his/her enthusiasm, which does happen obviously you have met the brain dead rep also. He/she is of no good to the customers and then of course to the company!

Hope you get a ski hosting job, as you will have more time on the hills! Good luck!
latest report
Cheers all
ski holidays
snow_bum, welcome and it's fine to ask for advice on here! When I was a Supertravel rep many moons ago, my first main criterion - with a view to being able to do a decent job for the clients - was the ability to speak the relevant language, French in my case, and the second was a short transfer - mainly because I get travel sick, and puking over the clients is probably contra-indicated. I ended up in Verbier (where, disappointingly, virtually the only times I ever spoke French was to my coach drivers every week, and I'm sure that's the same for reps there now). I appreciate Verbier isn't in France, and for France, I'd definitely go along with Bode Swiller's advice, Chamonix ticks all the boxes and is a proper - and very nice - town in which it will be easier to keep your clients (and yourself) happy, even if the weather is very inclement. It's amazing to think, incidentally, given all this talk of melting snowcaps, glaciers etc, that when I did my season in Verbier, back in the dark ages, we actually ended up transferring clients to other resorts because there was so little snow at the end of the season!

Roy Hockley,
Quote:

As an employer if I felt that you are looking to find the tricks of the trade ahead of looking after my customers I would not offer you a job!

Tricks of the trade include many which can be used for the benefit of the company and its customers, and I think you've been a bit harsh in the light of snow_bum's post timed at 1539 yesterday.
ski holidays
The resort with least punters.
ski holidays
Hurtle cheers for the advice. I agree, my original point was made in terms of being efficient and pro-active as a rep, not trying to con the customers.[/list][/quote]
snow conditions
I would not suggest La Plagne. Apres is limited and nightlife poor. Lots of motorway skiing and then not much interesting until and unless you go offpiste (in which case things change dramatically, but how much opportunity would you have to ski it?) Les Arcs possibly a better choice in that area - more varied skiing although possibly less really interesting offpiste.

I'd say Alpe d'Huez has better terrain than Plagne (and still has some great offpiste if that's relevant). Chamonix would of course be great. Les Deux Alpes would be good, probably.
ski holidays
Hurtle, Working for myself can burn candle at both ends, you may know what its like! I too have worked for tour companies though sadly not skiing, and I would have put the customers interests first. Maybe that is what the OP meant by looking for freebies!
ski holidays
snow_bum, Glad to hear it. Let us know where you are going!
snow conditions
Roy Hockley, well, my experience is that, whatever the job is, it's more enjoyable if one commits to it 100% - even if some of the clients are annoying, and the majority forget to say please or thank you, bless 'em! wink
ski holidays
Hurtle, I know its annoying but if one was of that mind you could have the last laugh .... They are paying for your lifestyle wink
latest report
How about Val d'Isere. Was there about 15 years ago admittedly, but the skiing was excellent and apres ski pretty good for French standards. Was in La Plagne a few years ago with the kids but you could tell that the apres ski sucked big time. Also Val is full of Brits, so looking at some of the other comments, you would get a decent share of profits? Good snow record too. In my experience the French apres is not a patch on Austrian and now find myself returning year after year to St Anton
ski holidays
You want a trick of the trade that Crystal use (probably others as well I'm sure) well here's one

Make a big deal out of selling lift passes on the transfer coach, tell them that you charge the same rate as the lift pass office which is true. Then when the gullable ski virgin gets his credit card out to pay you the € 700 for his family lift pass you give him the most horendous exchange rates and charge 2% on top as they say it is a cash advance.

In my experience a family pass is about £30 or so more expensive when bought on the transfer coach and I am sure there is another deal to be done with the lift pass office. Just don't expect to get one over on a seasoned snow bum, but it is unlikely they would be on your coach anyway, unless it was a last minute bargain.

Enjoy your season, wish I had done it when I was younger, my youngest son is thinking of doing a season after his A-levels and I will be behind him 100%.
latest report
Are ski reps allowed to take groups out officially on certain days on piste?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skilegs, I believe as hosts not guides! A bit of semantics involved, and they are definately not allowed to "teach". I know that Mrs RH when she goes with the scandinavians with a TO they always have hosts to take them around. In fairness have availed of the likes of Crystal, Inghams et al on their hosting days, no problem.
latest report
In most cases you will be expected to sell lift passes, equipment hire and tuition on transfer coaches from the airport. The guests will not be getting a bad deal (exchange rates aside) but you will need to promote the fact that it's more convenient to get a pass from the rep. Most self-named seasoned snow-bums have probably already spent thousands on equipment they only use twice a year at most and probably won't be that bothered about an extra £30!
ski holidays
Quote:

exchange rates aside

Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy