Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

help to understand skis

Poster: A snowHead
grazygeorges, No not a female specific ski, Fischer did three skis in the same line, all with mauri based names atua (186), kehua and a shorter one which i don't remember.

see here http://us.fischer-ski.com/en/products_ski.php?show=detail&id_product=14492

the skipress link has a review under it if you click on the icon
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Hurtle, heavy and quite stiff is not necessarily bad, especially if you are going to ski predominantly in Yoorup rather than Yootaw. What about when it gets crusty or heavy or, dare I say it, somewhat firm (it's not real ice unless you're in Scotland wink ) ? You don't want to be on super light noodly things that get deflected everywhere and won't hold an edge.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
grazygeorges, as you can see from the links i posted there are loads of skis that fit the requirement "can ski on or off piste". asking an open question like you have done will not really narrow it down - at best people will just end up recommending what they like; at worst you people just won't be bothered to respond because they don't know where to start when answering a question which is pretty much the same as "how long's a piece of string"?

why not follow this plan:

1. do a bit of your own research - on skipass.com; shop websites or in the shops themselves etc
2. come up with a list of "possibles"
3. use the search function on here and see if and of the skis have been disussed before - this might rule some out, or make you favour some more strongly
4. once you have narrowed it down to a shortlist, start a thread. in that thread, list the skis you are interested in, state your height, weight, sex, ability, what you like to ski and what skis you have tried before and liked

i promise you, you'll get much more focussed and useful answers if you do this
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
well i have looked around a lot trust me a hell of a lot. not hung up at all on twin tips so thats not really a concern. like i said earlier in the thread im 5-11-6ft, 11stone, male, ability is good intermmiadiate by that i mean i ventured onto my first black run last season. skis i have used before are atomic metrons, great little ski on piste may not be the fastest ski on the market but it really zips round the corners and carves really well which i like.

i now want some skis that can handle both on piste and off piste as my metrons although brill on piste not great off it. from what ive seen and read so far scott missions, moment reno freebird, movement spark (although i have tried them and didnt see what was so great about the spark), movement hype, volkl ac series, atomic crimson, rossingol bandit sc80, 4frnt msp, line prophet 90 and icelantic pilgrim. lol quite a few hey
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian wrote:
Hurtle, heavy and quite stiff is not necessarily bad, especially if you are going to ski predominantly in Yoorup rather than Yootaw. What about when it gets crusty or heavy or, dare I say it, somewhat firm (it's not real ice unless you're in Scotland wink ) ? You don't want to be on super light noodly things that get deflected everywhere and won't hold an edge.

Mmm, good point. Maybe you've just saved me some money, which would be a good result. I was brand loyal to fairly light, noodly Dynastars of one sort or another, on piste, for some years and did usually manage to hold an edge on 'firm snow' wink but I must admit that my Heads respond to being skied more aggressively and I've enjoyed them on piste, even though they've worn a groove in my shoulder! Sad Also, they really are crap in powder - especially when I fall over, since I find them too heavy actually to lift out of the snow! In fact, the standard of my off-piste skiing is such that the benchmark for my skis should not so much be what they are like to ski on, but how easy they are to dig out out of snowdrifts! Embarassed But, as you imply, the answer is probably to stick with my Heads for now and hire something for odd powder days. Sorry for thread hijack, grazygeorges.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
anyone know much about the blizzard reason and blizzard titan cronus iq skis? looked on their website but doesnt say an awful lot about them
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i have blizzard titan 9s as my touring skis - i think these are sort of kind of the predecessors of the cronuses. i really like them. nice lively flex; at the stiff end of medium stiffness; hold a decent edge and perform pretty nicely in soft snow given that they aren't all that wide (mine are 82mm underfoot - the cronuses are fatter i think - maybe 88mm). might be a little too wide if you are looking to improve your on piste skills though, particularly if you ski mostly in Europe (ie where we get real ice rather than just compacted snow Wink )
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hey arno - where did you get your blizzards from? cant find anywhere that does them in uk
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ebay

i would think these people would stock blizzard skis, although I think the cronus has been replaced by something else this year (probably the same ski but with new graphics..):

www.powderhaus.de
and
www.ski-bilek.de

not sure if anywhere stocks their freeride line in the UK which is a shame because they are great skis
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hey arv, moment do ship to the uk direct from their website, there is a but though and its a pretty huge BUT..........when you get to the check out it adds the shipping cost for you and it is around $200 which is a bit steep
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
grazygeorges, thats damn fuel prices for ya. Then you've got 3.5% duty and 17.5%VAT.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
crazy aint it, by the time they got here the shipping would be nearly the same as the skis. they do sound good though along with the armada skis, both handle well off and on piste which is what im after. damn shame
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
grazygeorges, if it's what you're after mate go for it but I'd strongly advise to test first.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
grazygeorges, You really need to test first imho , a couple of days ago you didnt seem to know which skis did what .. now youre committing seemingly based upon us lot. Some here are instructors and some , like me, drongos!

kiwi1, Additional Duty and VAT from Germany ???? ... not from EC countries???
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
its getting to test them thats a problem, i have access to the chill factor but from what i have read only 2 companies go there, is that right? dont know how else i can demo a pair
snow report
Agenterre, moment skis will be coming from the USA
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agenterre, hmmmmmmm, pretty sure Moment skis of Reno are in the US of A mate NehNeh
ski holidays
Arno, Doh ! Embarassed
Kiwi1 Double Doh ! Embarassed

..is Reno near Springfield ?
ski holidays
Agenterre, how about those of us who are both instructors and drongos Laughing . I'd definitely try em before you buy em though-if possible.
latest report
yeh moment are solely usa/canada, cheapest shipping ive found is $100 and around $499 for skis only. think it would be better getting something from the UK as it will be cheaper and if anything goes wrong much easier to sort out i guess. how does ellis brighams demoing skis work?
latest report
grazygeorges, On the last Friday of every month is a free demo night. Just pay for your lift past. The next one will involve Vist, High Society, Icelantic, Movement, Amplid, Elan and Salomon. (subject to confirmation) And any other brands if any other distributors read this.
snow report
do 4frnt and volkl ever go to the free demo nights?
latest report
grazygeorges, Ellis Brigham stock both so they may be able to give you demo's to try.
snow report
how does that work with ellis brigham, do you leave a deposit of something?
ski holidays
grazygeorges, leave your passport or something.
latest report
Agenterre, nah.....Sunderland Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy