Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snowboard to ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Should one expect to progress quicker than "normal" if one was already a snowboarder taking up skiing?

Has anyone done this route?

Im just tempted to pick up the dual planks for some of less "softer" days in the mountains but having seen the endless lessons, practice and drills skiers seem to go throu to get to even turning on red runs it kinda turns me off.

Tux
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I resorted to the dark side over the last couple of seasons and had to resort to lessons to master it. Now have the choice, soft and fluffy the baord every time, hard and icy skis.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How much time did you have to put into it to get confident on blues and reds?

Tux
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A mate of mine who's a decent boarder was skiing parallel down reds (and a black, I think) well within a week, after a couple of days of school and a bit of practice.

Skiers don't necessarily do 'endless' drills, or have 'endless' lessons - that seems to be a misobservation. Sure if you want to get super-technical then doing a lot of technical drills will help - and it's the same with boarding, no? - but for ordinary recreational looning about you'll be parallel within a few days, and then fine on blue/red.

It depends on the individual of course. I didn't have the gumption to tackle my first red until about my 3rd week on skis. The gf was happily on a black on day 4. YMMV.

Also you've already,as a boarder, been through the 'what the hell am I doing up a mountain, how does this lift thingy work, why am I wearing these stupid trousers, eeek I'm really high up, jesus christ look how steep that is' bewilderment that is probably a day's worth of headstart in itself!

I'm thinking about learning boarding as a secondary , maybe we should compare results and injuries at the end of the season Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If the potential is to ski reds after a couple of days then that's probably doable in my timescale.

Might give it a go.

Tux
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tuxpoo, You probably can, take a couple of lessons. I would have a lesson finish and go boarding so did not put the practice in.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well I bit the bullet and did a couple of lessons at bracknell ski slope (was doing a cheap deal). Breezed it to confident snowplough turns in 2 hours. I never actually fell over in all the lessons and got signed off for recreational skiing. Touched on stem christies at the end of the last lesson.

Was REALLY suprised how easy the whole process was.

Skiing is definatly far easyier to learn in the initial stages than boarding.
(May have helped i did rollerskating/blading on vert ramps in my teens/20s)

I can definatly see myself doing reds runs on the first day on the mountain.

tux
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tuxpoo, awesome news!

I wasted, sorry, spent 8 years snowboarding and haven't been on a board in years.

The simple fact of understanding what an edge does on snow, or in your case plastic, is a really good foundation for learning to ski. Or likewise for skiers learning to board.

I suspect your background helped.

Sell the snowboard! Twisted Evil

I hear lots of people saying things like "I board when there is powder and ski when it's not", forget it, ski all the way... Sure it's harder to start with but Oh So More Satisfying. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tuxpoo, Learning to snowplough will be the hardest bit. Skidded and carving turns are basically the same as on a board. Just unweight the inside ski and make the outside ski do exactly what your board did. If you want to make the transition easier, go for really short skis or snowblades to start off with.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
palor, No chance of the board going... just far to fun.

nessy, what do you consider short? Im 95kg 6'2"... bearing in mind I intend to only ski when conditions for boarding are less than optimal.

tux
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tuxpoo, at 88kg I am now on Scott Mission 178s but I have used snowblades and some 150 fun carvers. I would avoid buying and just hire something very short like blades and then work up as you get comfortable. I would define comfortable as being able to do the same runs as you do on your board. Long term, a wideish ski like the Mission that still works well on piste has the same go anywhere feel I used to get on a board,
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy