Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'09 Movement Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Does anyone know of any reviews or have any comments on the 2009 Movement skis, particularly the Spark and the Yaka Jam?

Lots of fishing around has only turned up comments on citizenski.com (used to be skireviews.co.uk).

Thanks for any pointers....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
reality,

Call Noble who are the Brit Importers. They told me that the Gladiators were unchanged this year apart from the graphics so doesn't sound like there is a new line..but they will know for sure.

The Spark is a good all-rounder which will do deep snow well enough for its size and hold a mean edge. There are skis that do one or the other better, of course, but it is an pretty impressive performer.

I'd call the Spark a 40/60 or so, piste to off-piste ski.

The only reason I went for the 92mm Glad as opposed to the Spark was because I wanted the (supposed) faster stability of a bigger ski in deep
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT,

Thanks for that, I'll drop them a line and see what they have to say. Online details for the Spark seem to be misleading, saying it's got bigger but giving the same dimensions. The Yaka Jam is new for '09 and seems in a similar vein to the Scott Missions - wide and very turny.

What do the Gladiators ski like? Lively, dull, stiff, medium, good edge hold, etc.?

Thanks....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
> I'd call the Spark a 40/60 or so, piste to off-piste ski.

great skis for hardpack / moguls / tress and piste.
But at 83mm I find them not wide enough under foot for charging proper deep alpine off piste ?

Reckon they will be the perfect dimensions for Scotland next winter Cool Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haggis_Trap,

Agree, which is why I went for the Glad...but the Sparks made me that decision..as it was great bombing around dropping in steep gullies etc. Very good OP, I say, and I could use them all over...but not as stable gunning it as I want.

reality, haven't used them in anger, but I am expecting a Mantra-like performance..which would be nimble beyond their size, but robust at speed. So I expect them to hold an edge but if you really need them to do that because you are on hardpack more often, then get the Spark or a Stormrider at around 88mm.

The Glad for me will be an all rounder (with Dukes ) but I am willing to scarifice a bit on for better faster lines off-piste

Not a fan of the Missions myself...too turney, IMV
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yaka jam i felt skied like the k2 explorer, nice float, very easy to initiate short turns, but also felt stable and not twitchy when opened up in to long turns.

Sparks ski like a more slalom version of the dynastar legend 8000, very quick underfoot, grippy on hard snow with lots of feel, but then a poppy float in soft snow
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just to say that Telemark Pyrennes have just sent an email announcing good reductions on 08 Movement skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1st impressions of the Glads in a snowdome...

Don't get into the turn too quickly if you force them...old style... and don't like going too slow and they don't want or can't respond but I would say they are an easy ski to ski...once you let them run...

A defo TT which track ok once you build up some speed.
I'll reserve judgement until I get them on a biiger run...

Are they too short..?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT, What length did you go for?

Glads do really like speed I find.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spikyhedgehog, 183...but am wishing I had brought the Goli Sluff.

But... I really do have to give then a decent go on real snow. They feel stiff enough in the shovel and can hold a turn although I think the binding plate contributes here

Straighter, faster sounds good Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd quite like another 5cms or so on mine to be honest.

It's got a real harsh twin on it which does steal alot of edge from you.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
reality

Tried the Yaka Jam at the Sno Zone on Saturday & loved them.
I'd definately buy a pair if I had the cash. Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shades,

thanks for that. the reviews i've read and chatting to the guy at nobel all point to them being a lot of fun. think they're going to be my next purchase in a couple of weeks.... Very Happy and if the it industry carries on the way it's going, they may get a lot of use this season!! Madeye-Smiley

what did they feel like to ski? are they lively or damp? from what i've heard, prefer to be pushed and pleasantly turny is a reasonable description...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
reality
I think they're pretty much as you described them..although I would like to try them somewhere that's a bit more testing than a Snowdome.
I enjoyed them & they were my favourites on the day.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spikyhedgehog, What did you do with your Sparks in the end? They were proper f*cked right? Good old Ricky, haha!

I still like the 07/08 Baggy's but I've got my wide ski already for 08/09, need a sensible one for the course now, that no fun Confused Sad

I've still got George's Karma's, Joysticks, and Ali's Dumonts. Plus Vasa's boots at my parents house I think, perhaps we should take a trip up to Leeds to see them all soon?
ski holidays
Brilliant!!!!!!

Tried them at the ski show MK.

they really cut an edge - more than any other ski I have ever tried.

did you notice one has a fatter tip and the other has a fatter tail - think it is down to which feels best underfoot when trying them.

my partner gonna try out the spark and yaka in a few weeks to windle down his search for the ultimate ski - so we are in same position as you.

however to try both pairs same day - we have to get the sparks into the ellis brigham store which is being organised for a couple of weeks time.

you won't be disappointed.
ski holidays
http://www.noblecustom.co.uk/retail%20offer%20list.htm
snow conditions
http://www.noblecustom.co.uk/retailofferlistnov2008.htm
this is the updated movement offer link from Nobles
snow conditions
Just had a full day test of the Movement Black Rose in Zermatt. Most impressive, did absolutely everything with style. It's the best Movement ski I have used from 4 models. I can't help feeling that Movement are missing out on sales by describing it as an experts ski. In no way could my skiing be described as such, and these skis made me smile on all terrain.
snow report
bought the Movement Sparks.

Tried the Movement Yaka Jams, although bloke in shop said they are like riding on butter - so easy. both partner and me hated them - with the big shovels on the front they are really difficult to move about.

Sparks are the babies
snow report
Does the Noble offer include bindinjgs?
snow conditions
lynseyf,

Call them...they have a few of last years models so might deal.
ski holidays
Skied the Yaka Jams at Cas Snowdome snowHead ski test - skis provided by Ellis-Brigham.
I said: "I preferred the Movement Yaka Jams to the Scott Missions. The Yaka Jams were more attractive looking, basically white and Jackson Pollock. A few mm fatter and a few cm longer than my own B2s but are still easier to turn and totally forgiving – I could take these. Then again for bar cred they are a bit too pretty and would have to take the Salomon Lords which were a gnarly dull black in keeping with tales of daring back country adventures. I never got to try the Lords as they were being hogged by another snowHead but they were said to be favourite.
latest report
daven, welcome to snowHeads
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy