Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurotunnel (Tesco vouchers)

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone planning to use Tesco vouchers to return on Sunday 04 Jan from Calais using the Tunnel, which I guess is most people who are holidaying for the New Year.

You can't pay for the tunnel on this day using vouchers I have just tried to book and the allocation has already been used up, good news though the 11:50 crossing was only £49 anyway. Strange but the 12:50 crossing on Friday 26/12 from Folkestone which cost's £105 was still available using vouchers.

I've somehow ended up with a spare £120 worth of vouchers, any excuse for a late trip to the Alps snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kel, if you don;t use them you can return them for a refund of the original value fo the tesco vouchers (they eurotunnel vouchers have an expiry date). I had £160 worth and couldn;t get any dates I wanted, phoned Tesco Clubcard and they said no problem to return them. I got my Tesco vouchers back this month - I might change them again for eurotunnel in the spring.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kel, I am returnong a week later on the 10th so it wasn't a problem. I've never come across allocations before, but always book well in advance.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, I enquired the expiry date on my vouchers is 28/02, but that is when they have to be cashed in by, travel can be anytime next year so I'll keep hold of them at least I have an excuse "We have these vouchers that I have to use" snowHead

When I enquired I also found out that they are not exclusive to Eurotunnel, they can be used on any deal which does not have to "bought in full" like payment in LaTasca, but I'm sur they will get used on the Tunnel.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have more than I need for channel crossings and am rather peeved that they have stopped doing Avis car hire, which was useful.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Reading this thread earlier prompted me to book my Eurotunnel crossing for 28th November. I only received my second batch of Clubcard Deals Eurotunnel vouchers through the post today so I was going to book it soon anyhow. I was waiting on the latest Clubcard vouchers to come through the post to add to my first lot I got last quarter, and they arrived last Friday I think. Must say they came through the post very quickly, I only did the conversion online into Deals on Monday this week and they were through the post today. Pretty good.

Only thing I did notice though was that when I originally checked the crossings I wanted the one was £59 and now it's gone up to £71. Still it was £120 in total and I had £90 worth of vouchers so it only really cost me £30, plus the original vouchers were only worth £22.50 in food buying terms. Deals has got to be one of the best reward systems available.

Seems like they (Eurotunnel) have good deals on Euro Breakdown insurance as well.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VolklAttivaS5,

I took the all inc package , Comprehensive European breakdown cover and winter sports holiday insurance £111 for 10 days cover. Not really sure how competitive this is but I could not be bothered shopping around, of course this has to be paid for i.e. you can't use vouchers
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kel, I've already got an annual travel policy with Direct Travel so I'm alright for that, but they did tell me tonight when I rang up that for £68.95 I think I could have 3 weeks Euro Breakdown cover which included roadside repairs, and if the car couldn't be repaired there and then they would pay for it to be taken to a garage, and if that happens then I would get a hire car to complete my trip. For £79.99 I can have an annual policy. Considering it's not a lot extra and I intend to drive to France again in April then I'll probably go for that.

I got a quote from the AA a while back (I'm a member) and I think it was about £100 for an annual policy. I will check.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
what are Tesco vouchers?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops, are you serious?

If you have a Tesco Clubcard, you collect points. Points are each worth a £1. These can either be exchanged at Tesco at face value for your shopping, or via Tesco Clubcard deals were they are usually worth £4.

One of the deals is Eurotunnel - for £50 of vouchers you effectively get a free £200 crossing.

Many other companies offer deals to - Legoland tickets etc http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris,

If you're clever and use online shopping codes and various other vouchers that are available off ebay for a few quid you can quite easily accumalate around 6000 points (£240 in deals) every quarter.

Credit Crunch Shop Smarter Razz
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kel, Indeed. And if like us you have a Tesco Credit Card, you get points every time you buy anything!

We've just had a "free" week in a cottage in Brittany courtesy of nearly £300 worth of tokens
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
VolklAttivaS5,

I might be wrong here, but I very much doubt you will get annual comprehensive European breakdown cover (i.e. the same as what is offered on a holiday insurance trip including full car hire, transportation for your car & group back to your destination or UK address etc etc) for £100. I have fleet cover AA on my company car, which is comprehensive but is for UK only and this is over £100 per vehicle and that's with the buying power of purchasing about 20 policies at the same time.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boris wrote:
Kel, Indeed. And if like us you have a Tesco Credit Card, you get points every time you buy anything!

We've just had a "free" week in a cottage in Brittany courtesy of nearly £300 worth of tokens

That would be from the "French Life" brochure I presume, I am already looking at booking a Summer break courtesy of Tesco.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kel, I have both UK and European breakdown cover with Quoteline direct. It is an annual policy and costs a total of around £60 for the policy. That is £60 for both Uk and Europe combined. As recommended by a SnowHead.
ski holidays
I had a quote off the AA for annual multi trip euro cover for £113.
latest report
Kel, My original annual european breakdown cover was £67 with More Than, then they gave me an £11 refund when I changed to a newer car Very Happy . You can certainly do better than £100.
snow report
Ha the AA wanted a small fortune to over me breakdown cover for the season, mind you it's an old car. What I'm going to do is get cover for the trip down tbh I don't care if the car doesn't make it back.

Useful thread, I was going to post this morning asking about how you get the clubcard deal for the tunnel. snowHead
snow conditions
Kel wrote:
VolklAttivaS5,

I might be wrong here, but I very much doubt you will get annual comprehensive European breakdown cover (i.e. the same as what is offered on a holiday insurance trip including full car hire, transportation for your car & group back to your destination or UK address etc etc) for £100. I have fleet cover AA on my company car, which is comprehensive but is for UK only and this is over £100 per vehicle and that's with the buying power of purchasing about 20 policies at the same time.

Well yeah, you can. Here's my quote from the AA. If I hadn't have been an AA member for the UK then it would have cost £103.90 instead online.

Annual Multi Trip Cover
Your Instant Quote

Please choose either:
Annual Multi-Trip Cover annualCheck
23.5% Off
Saving £18.09
£92.51(Direct debit price including 23.5% discount)
Cover for unlimited trips of up to 90 days in 1 year. Up to £2000 per trip.

Here's what it covers:-

http://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/about-european-breakdown.html

Also the Eurotunnel annual European Breakdown policy is £79.99 as I mentioned in my earlier post, the difference with the AA one is that it covers more money per trip and also it covers trips up to 90 days in length. I think the chap on the phone at Eurotunnel says theirs covers trips up to 31 days in length but might be wrong.

There are also the cheaper policies available through quoteline as well that someone else mentioned on this thread, although not sure how the benefits compare from policy to policy.

My AA Roadside, Relay and Homestart costs me £144.00 per year to cover me in the UK-it's more than the European Breakdown cover price because obviously it's covering me every day rather than for perhaps 2-3 trips annually to Europe so the "risk" is higher for them to cover cars used daily in the UK.
ski holidays
Kel wrote:
VolklAttivaS5,

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I'm paying less than £100 for Comprehensive Breakdown cover in the Uk and Europe with Recovery for 1 car, plus breakdown and recovery for a 2nd vehicle for the UK only, policy with Britannia. Multiple European Trip cover.
ski holidays
steve, thing is, Kel is comparing the cost of covering his/her fleet car in the UK only, which from what I've seen costs more than the European Breakdown annual policies-see my post above.
snow report
And also there are companies that insure your car that include European Breakdown cover, again not sure how the benefits compare with the standalone EB policies.

I've not bought a policy yet, I'm going to carry on shopping around. They do vary on what they cover though.

Does anyone know of one which covers as much as the AA European Breakdown cover annual policy (see my link above) or more but is cheaper than their £92.51 they've quoted me?

My car insurance with the Halifax covers me insurance wise for accidents when driving abroad within certain trip lengths, I already have UK breakdown cover with the AA anyway, so I'm looking for a stand alone European Breakdown annual policy. Very Happy
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, Read it again, the first part of his statement refers to annual european breakdown cover - the subsequent part refers to the cover he actually has and compares them.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, my combined policy with Quoteline Direct would still be cheaper at £60 per annum than your AA option.
snow report
Tesco clubcard deals are brilliant value. What puzzles me about them is who pays the difference between the normal cost of the service and what the Clubcard customer pays. I cannot believe that Tesco hands over the full amount to Eurotunnel etc. Presumably they negotiate a contribution on the basis that they are introducing new customers.
snow report
Jehu, as you might expect, it's the seller of the service that gets screwed - of course Tesco don't hand over the full price! Eurotunnel makes a great deal less from us if we use Tesco vouchers. I think someone in Eurotunnel told me that, when I enquired. That's presumably why sometimes sellers pull out - as Avis have, it appears. The scheme would only work for sellers if they were making marginal sales - that they wouldn't otherwise. If anyone has any more info on how it all works, it would be interesting to know.
latest report
steve wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, Read it again, the first part of his statement refers to annual european breakdown cover - the subsequent part refers to the cover he actually has and compares them.

steve I did read it correctly first time round. He starts off saying about he doesn't think I can get European Breakdown cover for £100 and then says that his UK cover is over £100, presumably implying that European Cover would surely be more than cover just for the UK, when in actual fact it is less for an annual EB policy generally than it is for UK cover (well with the AA it is anyway assuming Roadside, Relay and Homestart UK cover). I think that was the point he was making, although it is difficult to tell sometimes with posts.

Either way the good news is that people can get European cover for less than £100 if they want to. The question is which provider to choose. Very Happy
snow report
Helen Beaumont, thanks very much. I will have a look what it covers compared to the AA policy and decide from there. I'm thinking if it's a combined breakdown policy for £60 for UK and Europe, and my UK one is £144 on it's own plus £92.51 for the standalone European Breakdown policy (with AA), then what am I getting in extra cover or not as the case may be for the cost of approx £236 altogether compared to £60 for the combined. That's quite a difference isn't it?

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 28-08-08 13:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, My breakdown policy covers me for both UK and European (excepting Homestart) for £50 odd quid. I wouldn't touch the AA with a bargepole! Back on thread, I booked Christmas week using Clubcard vouchers yesterday- availability not a problem, we got the crossing times we wanted both ways. I've never encountered a problem with them and we usually go Feb half term although I do tend to book early.
latest report
steve, that's good. Who is yours with? I could go for a combined policy and cancel my AA UK one and get a refund on it, I've not long renewed it, just have always had cover with them and have found them to be very good when I've called them out. Very reliable. Why wouldn't you use the AA out of interest?

I didn't find availability to be a problem for my Eurotunnel booking either when I booked yesterday, although I did book it quite early too.
ski holidays
one thing to watch with these policies is what size of hire car you would get, if your own was out of action for a few days. This happened to us, and our 6 seater was replaced with a little car which could really only get 3 people and luggage in. There was some discussion of this at the time - and I think some policies cover a "like for like" hire. However, that would logically mean it would cost a bit more for a large car than for a small one.

Interesting info in this thread; I am going to study it carefully before renewing my policies.
latest report
pam w, yeah I did see that when I was comparing some policies last night. Doesn't matter so much for me as it's only me and I can fit all my gear in my Clio anyway for my trips, so something similar would be alright. Would be a real bummer though if there was a big group of you and then you had to separate into 2 smaller cars for the remainder of the trip while the car was being fixed.
ski holidays
Thread here about breakdown cover. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=490828&highlight=european+breakdown+cover#490828
latest report
Thanks Helen.
snow report
Boris wrote:
rayscoops, are you serious?

If you have a Tesco Clubcard, you collect points. Points are each worth a £1. These can either be exchanged at Tesco at face value for your shopping, or via Tesco Clubcard deals were they are usually worth £4.

One of the deals is Eurotunnel - for £50 of vouchers you effectively get a free £200 crossing.

Many other companies offer deals to - Legoland tickets etc http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/

yes, I assumed it was like the old co-op stamps but not sure - every where I go people keep asking me for the blasted cards or memberships - i keep getting them and keep losing them, so now I just say no ! airmiles on my amex is all I am bothered about.

I am also a 'shopper of fortune' and go where ever the best deals are !! Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

then you had to separate into 2 smaller cars for the remainder of the trip while the car was being fixed.

and only get one of them off the insurance....
snow conditions
Another thing to look for (particularly for skiing) in breakdown cover is whether a driver would be provided to drive your car back if you were injured. Important if you are driving alone or the only driver in the party (such as me as I sometimes travel with my 12 year old daughter only). When I last renewed AA didn't do this but RAC did.
latest report
Colin B, thanks, that's good to know for me because I would need that to be ok. I'll check out the RAC.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy