Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It says it's going to snow...

Poster: A snowHead
... on Thurs. in Obergurgl. Do you think this is true? Or have the holiday companies bribed the weather reporters? It will be very nice if it does, because we're travelling on Thurs. Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like the European high pressure system will finally move away on Thursday. The Swiss are forecasting a week of snow starting Thursday night / Friday snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lets hope eh?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All I want for Christmas is........ a nice new layer of fresh powder... (not that I know what to do with it, but it does make the trees look nice!)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just read this comment on a weather forecast web site
The snow drought in The Alps may soon be over as significant snowfall and cold weather is forecast towards the coming weekend.
sounds good to me Blush
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Friday lunchtime 12 hour precipitation forecast from GFS.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skanky, You are as bad as I am. I have loads of weather sites on my favourites and monitor every snowflake heading for the alps! What do the red dots mean on that one?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Bish, convection, I think. I'm not sure what the import of that is (it's pushing my very rusty met knowledge). I have a passing interest in meteorology anyway (though my knowledge of it is out of date and very shallow), as I used to work at the Met. Office. Beats working though. snowHead

Anyway, I'd just like to point out that I was predicting a snowfall event for Fri/Sat on Friday (see the Les Arcs webcam thread). The cold front that looked like it would cross on Thursday has weakened considerably, there may be some weather from te air mass it was associated with. But yes, Friday and Saturday are looking good. As are some days next week, but they're a lot less sure, forecast-wise.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmm thanks. I don't know what the convection bit signifies. Snow going upwards?? Doubt it. Confused
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris Bish, Convection is merely air that rises due to it being warmer than surrounding air. Convection rain can be triggered by unstable air (e.g. summer storms are the best known example). However, in frontal systems you get convection along the fronts as you have warm and cold air meeting. Warm fronts have very sloped convection (as the warm air rises over the cold air) and cold fronts have very upright slope of convection. In general terms, the greater the convection, the more severe the weather. Occluded is where the cold front has caught up with the warm front and started to under-cut it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skanky, do those lines have something to do with your post? Puzzled Puzzled Or are you starting a game of hangman?

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey, put it back! Now my post doesn't make sense! (Ok I know, nothing new there... rolling eyes )
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PG, sorry, I drew an ascii art diagram of a cold and warm frontal system (standard, old Norwegian model that we've not seen for what seems like ages), to illustrate the convection gradients I had mentioned. However on posting, the board stripped all the spaces out thus ruining it. I then remembered that I needed to use the code tags, but couldn't be bothered to re-do it.

Here we are...

This is okay as a diagram except I don't think the difference between the gradients is pronounced enough.

The BBC has a good description, also click on "View this illustration".
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/alps_3days.shtml
looks a lot on here for the alps
altho tends to suggests with snow forcasts record, that there will be about 3cm of snow lol

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 14-12-04 23:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fezza, I thinks that's what they are predicting, for Serre Chevalier at least .
snow report
skanky, I bow to your superior knowledge. You are the master met man!

I'm still hopeful (of snow that is) having had a look at the good old synoptic charts from Bracknell.
snow conditions
Chris Bish, despite doing O-Level and A-Level geography, O-level meteorology and the Met Offices Applied Met Course, I think my met knowledge is severely lacking. Embarassed

There will definitely be snow. How much is more difficult as the models (esp. things like the GFS as it's a coarse model designed for use in the US where they don't need as fine detail as over here) don't often cope with the effects of terrain evry well. Hence the output normally needs modifying by an experienced forecaster who can know by how much to compensate for things. Whether that means they'll add a figure onto the precipitation output for the Alpine resorts, I don't know.

The synoptic charts are great as long as you know how to work out whether from synoptic set-ups. I used to be okay at this, but I'm very out of practice and have forgotten more than I can remember. Sad
I've still got my notes somewhere, I must dig them out and have a re-read.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 15-12-04 15:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

The synoptic charts are great as long as you know how to work out whether from synoptic set-ups. I used to be okay at this, but I'm very out of practise and have forgotten more than I can remember

"...forgotten more than I can remember.". How do you know how much you've forgotten and whether it's less than how much you remember? NehNeh
latest report
Laughing

Because I can now do less than half of what I used to be able to do... wink
snow conditions
Just had a e-mail from La Plagne which says they are exepcting 8cms by the weekend.
Better than a sharp stick...!!
ski holidays
...but if you don't know what you don't know then how do you know it's half of what you know? Madeye-Smiley

This time tomorrow I'll be on the slopes....woohooooooo snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
biggles76, I know what I could do, just not how.

31 days for me....I'l have finished my first day's skiing. snowHead
latest report
Taking a big interest in the passage of potential snowflakes across Europe. In 7 days from now I'll be packing!
snow report
Chris Bish,

Where to..?
snow report
My regular Xmas visit to Kitzbuhel. No finer way of spending Christmas. No much open at present, but I'm looking forward to the new lift opening up the runs in the pass. I've been counting the days since October!
ski holidays
34 days to go for me....unless it dumps and I can grab a couple of days early..!!
snow report
JT, where?
snow conditions
skanky,
Off to La Plagne on the 18th Jan. I have never made it there so looking forward to it.
My buddies went there last year in early Mar and the conditions were great. I had to
cancel last minute due to a family illness.
And you ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And then Engleberg mid feb-ish...or so...!!
snow report
Chris Bish - I'll be packing in 5days from now. Up until a few days ago I was deeply depressed about a prospective WALKING holiday in the Alps, but now.... Roll on next tuesday. By the way my son who is studying met stuff for his commercial pilot exams took one look at the Bracknell charts a few days ago and said i should stp panicking as the blocking anti-cyclone was fading away. I usually hate it when he is right, but this time I.m ok with it!!!

I'll go and practice my snow dance again
snow report
BSM 15th-29th Jan. So I'll be in Les Arcs & La Plagne for the two weeks. I think there's a few of us around then. There was a thread (or two) about meeting up (maybe in Flying Squirrel's bar) one lunchtime. I'll revive that again early January. snowHead

Would like to know what Engleberg's like.
snow conditions
skanky,

You have to excuse me, where is the Flying squirrel? I haven't done my homework yet on that scale...!!
What are you guys going to ski...??

I nearly got to Engleberg last year but stayed down the road instead. I expect to find it packed out with Scandi's
who ski way too good. Don't want to hook up with them until the bar...!!
ski holidays
JT, he's fellow poster on here who runs a bar in Plan Peisey, though he hasn't been on for a while. He also arranges accommodation in Peisey. If you do a search on his username you'll find some stuff. Sorry, I forget who's been around and for how long and how long ago some threads were.

Quote:
What are you guys going to ski...??

Sorry, being a bit thick here?

Quote:
I nearly got to Engleberg last year but stayed down the road instead. I expect to find it packed out with Scandi's
who ski way too good. Don't want to hook up with them until the bar...!!

They're not bad in the bar either, in my experience. wink
snow report
All I want for christmas is desent snow in arinsal-andorra!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
You might be okay, but that Azores high isn't going to help you much. Confused
ski holidays
skanky,

If you post the meet nearer the time we should be able to do that.
We will be up the Belecote mostly, I'd think, so the Plan doesn't look too far...a hop across the valley etc ...!!
snow conditions
skanky,
I seem to remember you're a boarder, is that correct, so you can ski anything....??
ski holidays
JT, Peisey's on the other end of the Vanoise (sp?) Express, the double-decker cable car. Should be reasonably easy to get to (we'll be in plagne some days though). Despite what my username may suggest, I'm a skier (total boarding time 2hrs). I can ski blues to blacks (not off piste), though with varying degrees of (lack of) skill. I enjoy all three for different reasons and I intend to get off the plateau at some point soon (ish). Very Happy
latest report
Wskanky,

If you are in La Plagne come and find us because we will be looking for as much off-piste as we can. We have a couple of newbies so no one will go mad. It may get a bit adventurous as we have skied a bit but everyone will take a fall.
Let me know nearer the time what you intend to do.
The thing about skiing off-piste is that you have to get in there sometime. I think that is the biggest thing, people say that they can't do it but then avoid doing it. It isn't the hardest thing but it needs practice.
Or even better, book an instructor the first time it looks like snowing.
But anyway, we can meet up in the valley, talk about it nearer the time..
Cheers
ski holidays
JT, yeah, it'll take lessons. However after having a lesson this year, I know I need to improve my on-piste anyway. It's years of bad habits and technical faults. If we meet up in my second week, we can see how much I've improved and take it form there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy