Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Incredible air fares to US from UK

Poster: A snowHead
For all you UK based sno-junkies thinking of doing a US resort:

Just stumbled upon some incrediblly low air-fares from the UK to the US and wanted to share it: - i.e. Return, All In for departures throughout winter 08/09.

LHR-DEN for US$300.- = € 204.- = £163.-
LHR-SEA for US$323.- = € 219.- = £175.-
LHR-PDX for US$300.- = € 204.- = £163.-

All flights only on NWA and therefore only to the USA (not Vancouver/Whistler but from Seattle it’s an easy journey) !

You’ll only find these thru the Aussie Expedia site and you’ll have to play around.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 27-08-08 2:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jeu-d-esprit, are they dependent on a transpacific booking?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
luigi, ... you mean transatlantic ?

Just booked yesterday and it worked fine for transatlantic - only from the Uk though ..... Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jeu-d-esprit, oh yes, found Denver via Minneapolis for 370AUD in Jan, nice find!

No, I meant does the journey have to originate in Oz, seems not!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
luigi,

No, only from the UK on NWA !
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jeu-d-esprit, SFO return for 304AUD (£142), amazing! Must be a catch, surely?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jeu-d-esprit, any ideas what the date range is?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
luigi, Nope ... no catch, it's for real ! - I booked it myself - got confirmed booking with NWA from 10/12/08 thru 10/01/09 LHR-PDX for US$300.- All In

Like I said before you have to play around - got a date range from anywhere in 08 thru end of April 09 for 30-day limit return !
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
good prices
shame all the people i go with cant afford nothing this year Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I just priced up a LHR to LAX return in March next year and got

Total price for this trip: AU$279.30 thats is €164 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was there not some problem recently (Ryanair) with booking through third party websites, airlines can refuse to take you ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton, Its not 'Third Party' sites which are a problem .. its the dodgy 'Screen scrapers' who are the problem ( and only with a few airlines, notably Ryanair) because they are 'selling' flights that Ryanair doesnt permit them too .. .. nothing dodgy about Expedia.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agenterre wrote:
stanton, Its not 'Third Party' sites which are a problem .. its the dodgy 'Screen scrapers' who are the problem ( and only with a few airlines, notably Ryanair) because they are 'selling' flights that Ryanair doesnt permit them too .. .. nothing dodgy about Expedia.

OK thanks. If you book through expedia where can you find out about ski & baggage allowances ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton, No idea .. undoubtedly links from somewhere in the booking process ... easisest way is looking up NWA's Ts and Cs on their own site ( check the fares there as well while you're at it !!!) .. Expedia are agent not principal in the transaction.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre wrote:
stanton, No idea .. undoubtedly links from somewhere in the booking process ... easisest way is looking up NWA's Ts and Cs on their own site ( check the fares there as well while you're at it !!!) .. Expedia are agent not principal in the transaction.

THe LHR - LAX fare I got was NWA out and Air France back !!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton, NWA have had a strategic alliance with KLM for years and codeshare agreements with Air France among others. Air France also acquired/merged KLM in 2004. They are all part of the SkyTeam alliance.

They have recently announced a merger with Delta where the Delta name will be the only one retained, will be largest airline in the world. NWA was in chapter 11 bankruptcy between 2005-07. They certainly must be making a loss on these seats!
latest report
stanton
Have you booked & paid for your flights through the Aussie Expedia site & had no problems ?

I'm looking at potentially flying to Seattle at Easter & either skiing in Washington state or at Whistler,has anyone skied at any of the mountains in Washington state & are they worthwhile for a weeks skiing or would it be better to drive up to Whistler ?
latest report
Have not booked yet but may well do very soon (at that price I can afford to lose it).

I forgot NWA was assoicated with KLM/Air France.

I stopped using KLM about 5-6 years ago over a dispute over Ski Carriage. Only in the last resort do I use them.

I tried to get a price from Ams to Lax but the price increases dramatically !

If I book this up it looks like it will cost me more to fly Amsterdam >> London than London >> LA Sad

I,ve skied Mt Baker & Crystal Mountain. They are small places & very little vertical (still fun) Whistler is huge by comparison but you then have to factor in a 220mile drive. Drive is at least 4.25hrs without customs & immigration.
ski holidays
I'm struggling to get onto the australian expedia site - I assumed it would be www.expedia.au but this doesn't work - am I missing something?
snow conditions
.com.au
ski holidays
Ta stanton.
latest report
Expedia (oz) says Airline confirmed booking next March London-LAX €164 all in, so that is a heck of a deal Very Happy 6 months for them to put up the price,apologise for an internal error or go out of business, lets see what happens!

Going to quickly book up an early November Thanksgiving trip to Denver AU$340 Very Happy Very Happy

jeu-d-esprit, Thanks for spotting the deals
latest report
stanton,

My pleasure ! Very Happy .... Have fun everyone getting it together (while it lasts) !

Quote:
Whistler is huge by comparison but you then have to factor in a 220mile drive. Drive is at least 4.25hrs without customs & immigration.

$323.- airfare to Seattle and take the shuttle from there http://www.quickcoach.com/ to Vancouver - no big deal !

Our ski season here in the Pacific Northwest usually starts seriously around Thanksgiving (end of November) - '08 it started early November - although here at Mt. Hood we're skiing of course year-round.
latest report
update:

Take a look to get a peak at some possibilities: http://www.kayak.com/h/buzz/view?ac=&action=create&dt=B&airport=LHR&code=LHR&dest1=&desthint1=&dest2=&desthint2=&de

These prices are slightly higher than on the Aus Exp (don't wanna advertise any longer as to not spoil the fun while it may last)
ski holidays
stanton,

Quote:

If you book through expedia where can you find out about ski & baggage allowances ?

You'll find it on the NWA.com website.
Just flew them last month to/from LHR (and paid a heck of a lot more - AUCH ) with free ski gear allowance - that's one pair each skis/boots/poles in addition to your normal baggage allowance of 23 kg - Hope it will last ! rolling eyes
latest report
jeu-d-esprit wrote:
stanton, $323.- airfare to Seattle and take the shuttle from there http://www.quickcoach.com/ to Vancouver - no big deal

For US & Canadian Citizens it is not a problem.

For EU citizens they will have to go through customs & immigration. I travelled once across the border by coach (Vermont-Quebec- Ontario-Michigan). I was the only EU passenger the coach got held up for nearly 1 hour and that was along time before 911!!!

Does Quickcoach wait for ALL passengers to clear customs & immigration ?

http://www.quickcoach.com/faq.htm
ski holidays
How long do you people reckon these deals will stick around? Are they likely to stay the same price(s) until the seats get booked up?

It's just I can't afford to spend anything at the mo Sad so am hoping these will still be available in a months time!

Joe Smile
ski holidays
stanton,

Have taken this shuttle up to YVR last winter on a EU passport - no problem - don't forget many EU citizens take this route, even while on business for Microsoft - and don't forget that you'll need an e-Visa as an EU citizen as of January 12th '09 (if I'm not mistaken) so one should be fine with clearance on a border-crossing I assume.

Geez guys, I'm not your local travel agent - got to be creative ! wink

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 27-08-08 15:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
jeu-d-esprit wrote:
stanton,

Geez guys, I'm not your local travel agent - be creative ! wink

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TangoFiver,

Good things come to those who wait !

Isn't this a popular advertising slogan in the UK ?

Today, when I checked my favorite NWA/Japan website, the same airfares are on a downward slide ! Very Happy
latest report
Thanks for the tip. I have just booked for Denver Mar 12-19 = AUS$344 = £161 ! Seems too cheap, only e-tickets - how do you check they are good with the airline ?
Will have work out rest of trip details. Getting to Heathrow looks like biggest pain. Thinking about staying in Frisco. CME airport shuttle looks fine & local public transport to resorts looks brilliant. Any recommendations ?
Would be happy for some company or to share accomodation costs.
snow report
Lechbob,

These days in air travel it's e-Tickets only - paper doesn't exist any longer in this neck of the woods !
You'll receive confirmation # for your itinerary from Expedia.
Quote:

Any recommendations ?

Suggest to post this question on a new thread - Good luck and happy travels !
snow conditions
Lechbob,

Quote:

Getting to Heathrow looks like biggest pain

Did you check departing MAN ?
snow conditions
Not giving cheap flights from manchester. Can't have everything.
ski holidays
I checked a number of European & UK Cities & found the cheap flights are only departures from Heathrow.

Also getting incredibly cheap fares direct through NWA Japanese site like jeu-d-esprit, says. Very Happy
snow conditions
FYI
I found the NWA Fare rules for these SALE Tickets.

Fare Rules

Please review the rules and restrictions listed below.

When you purchase your ticket, you agree to these rules and restrictions.

Please note that the most restrictive set of rules below applies to your entire itinerary.
Fare Type Fare Rules
1 Adult fares VLXSALE
Fare Rule: VLXSALE

* Penalties
* Travel Restrictions
* Blackout Dates
* Seasonality
* Flight Applications
* Day/Time Application
* Minimum Stay
* Maximum Stay
* Surcharges
* Child Discount

* Other Discount
* Accompanied Travel
* Eligibility
* Advance Reservations/Ticketing Restrictions
* Combinability
* Transfers
* Stopovers
* Sales Restrictions
* Industry Fare Type

Penalties

CHANGES ANY TIME CHANGES NOT PERMITTED. CANCELLATIONS ANY TIME TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF CANCEL. TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF NO-SHOW. NOTE - ANY TIME CANCELLATIONS RULES APPLY BY PER COMPONENT WHEN COMBINING A REFUNDABLE TICKET WITH A NON REFUNDABLE TICKET PROVISIONS WILL APPLY AS FOLLOWS - THE AMOUNT PAID ON THE REFUNDABLE FARE COMPONENT WILL BE REFUNDED UPON PAYMENT OF THE PENALTY AMOUNT IF APPLICABLE - THE AMOUNT PAID ON THE NON REFUNDABLE FARE COMPONENT WILL NOT BE REFUNDED
Travel Restrictions

VALID FOR TRAVEL COMMENCING ON/BEFORE 31MAY 09.
Blackout Dates

BLACKOUT DATES: NO RESTRICTION
Seasonality

SEASONALITY: NO RESTRICTION
Flight Applications

THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING NW FLIGHTS 4300 THROUGH 4301 NW FLIGHTS 5100 THROUGH 5599 NW FLIGHTS 6000 THROUGH 8199 NW FLIGHTS 8850 THROUGH 9794 KL FLIGHTS 8000 THROUGH 8999 KL FLIGHTS 9100 THROUGH 9499 ANY LH FLIGHT ANY HY FLIGHT.
Day/Time Application

PERMITTED MON THROUGH THU ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
Minimum Stay

TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
Maximum Stay

TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO LATER THAN 1 MONTH AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.
Surcharges

ORIGINATING UNITED KINGDOM - IF INFANT 0-1 WITHOUT A SEAT. THERE IS NO CHARGE. ORIGINATING UNITED KINGDOM - THE PROVISIONS BELOW APPLY ONLY AS FOLLOWS - TICKETS MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN NORTH AMERICA. AND IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL VIA AMS NOTE - SALES ARE PERMITTED WORLDWIDE HOWEVER WHEN SALE IS IN NORTH AMERICA ON OTHER THAN KL TICKETS THIS FUEL Q-SURCHARGE WILL BE APPLICABLE. - - - - THIS FUEL Q-SURCHARGE WILL NOT BE APPLICABLE WHEN SOLD OUTSIDE NORTH AMERICA ON KL TICKETS. A FUEL SURCHARGE OF USD 125.00 PER DIRECTION WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE. ORIGINATING UNITED KINGDOM - THE PROVISIONS BELOW APPLY ONLY AS FOLLOWS - TICKETS MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN NORTH AMERICA. AND IF THE FARE COMPONENT DOES NOT INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA AMS NOTE - SALES ARE PERMITTED WORLDWIDE HOWEVER WHEN SALE IS IN NORTH AMERICA ON OTHER THAN KL TICKETS THIS FUEL Q-SURCHARGE WILL BE APPLICABLE. - - - - THIS FUEL Q-SURCHARGE WILL NOT BE APPLICABLE WHEN SOLD OUTSIDE NORTH AMERICA ON KL TICKETS. A FUEL SURCHARGE OF USD 95.00 PER DIRECTION WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE.
Child Discount

ACCOMPANIED CHILD 2-4 - CHARGE 100 PERCENT OF THE FARE. TICKET DESIGNATOR - CH. MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS BY ADULT 18 OR OLDER OR - ACCOMPANIED CHILD 5-11 - CHARGE 100 PERCENT OF THE FARE. TICKET DESIGNATOR - CH. MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS BY ADULT 15 OR OLDER OR - INFANT UNDER 2 WITH A SEAT - CHARGE 100 PERCENT OF THE FARE. TICKET DESIGNATOR - CH. MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS BY ADULT 18 OR OLDER. NOTE - 1 ADULT PASSENGER AGED AT LEAST 18 YEARS MAY BE ACCOMPANIED BY A MAXIMUM OF 2 INFANTS OF WHO BOTH CAN BE BOOKED AS INFANT OCCUPYING A SEAT. OR - INFANT UNDER 2 WITHOUT A SEAT - CHARGE 10 PERCENT OF THE FARE. TICKET DESIGNATOR - IN90. MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS BY ADULT 18 OR OLDER. NOTE - 1 ADULT PASSENGER AGED AT LEAST 18 YEARS MAY BE ACCOMPANIED BY A MAXIMUM OF 2 INFANTS OF WHO 1 HAVE TO BE BOOKED AS INFANT OCCUPYING A SEAT ------------------------------------------------- THE AGE LIMITS REFERRED TO IN THIS RULE SHALL BE THOSE IN EFFECT ON THE DATE OF COMMENCEMENT OF TRAVEL. EXCEPTION - INFANTS WHO REACH THEIR 2ND BIRTHDAY DURING THEIR TRAVEL WILL BE REQUIRED TO OCCUPY A SEAT ON THE OUTBOUND AND INBOUND FLIGHT. PAYING THE LOWEST APPLICABLE CHILDS FARE FOR THOSE SECTORS TO BE TRAVELLED AFTER REACHING 2 YEARS OF AGE. OR - UNACCOMPANIED CHILD 5-14 - NO DISCOUNT. NOTE - UNACCOMPANIED MINOR NOT PERMITTED
Other Discount

OTHER DISCOUNT: NO RESTRICTION
Accompanied Travel

ACCOMPANIED TRAVEL: NO RESTRICTION
Eligibility

ELIGIBILITY: NO RESTRICTION
Advance Reservations/Ticketing Restrictions

RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL SECTORS. WHEN RESERVATIONS ARE MADE AT LEAST 100 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED AT LEAST 93 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE. OR - RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL SECTORS. WHEN RESERVATIONS ARE MADE AT LEAST 11 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 7 DAYS AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE OR AT LEAST 10 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE WHICHEVER IS EARLIER. OR - RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL SECTORS. TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 24 HOURS AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE. NOTE - -------------------------------------------------- - FAREQUOTE GENERATES A LAST TICKETING DATE WHICH- - MAY DIFFER FROM THE DATE MENTIONED IN THE PNR. - - THE MOST RESTRICTIVE DATE PREVAILS. - --------------------------------------------------
Combinability

DOUBLE OPEN JAWS NOT PERMITTED. END-ON-END NOT PERMITTED. ADD-ONS PERMITTED. OPEN JAWS/ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS -TO FORM SINGLE OPEN JAWS -TO FORM ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS. PROVIDED - COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER KL/NW/AF IN ANY RULE IN TARIFF IPRA - BETWEEN USA/CA-AREA 2/3 AND GUAM-AREA 2 IPRAI - BETWEEN THE USA/CANADA-AREA 2/3 VIA ATL IPRSAA2 - BETWEEN THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE-AREA 2 VIA ATL. NOTE - THE CITY PAIRS BELOW ARE CONSIDERED THE SAME POINT- EWR-NYC
Transfers

UNLIMITED TRANSFERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT.
Stopovers

NO STOPOVERS PERMITTED.
Sales Restrictions

TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/BEFORE 23SEP 08. TICKETS MAY NOT BE ISSUED BY PTA. NOTE - T.O.D. ARE NOT ALLOWED. ------- IN E-TICKET ELIGIBLE MARKETS A SERVICE CHARGE WILL BE ASSESSED FOR THE ISSUANCE OF PAPER TICKETS.
Industry Fare Type

XPN - INSTANT PURCHASE NONREFUNDABLE
snow report
"TICKETS MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN NORTH AMERICA" ?!?! or am i taking this out of context? Puzzled
snow report
kewhoward, It about Fuel Surcharge.

ORIGINATING UNITED KINGDOM - THE PROVISIONS BELOW APPLY ONLY AS FOLLOWS - TICKETS MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN NORTH AMERICA. AND IF THE FARE COMPONENT DOES NOT INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA AMS NOTE - [b[]ALES ARE PERMITTED WORLDWIDE HOWEVER WHEN SALE IS IN NORTH AMERICA ON OTHER THAN KL TICKETS THIS FUEL Q-SURCHARGE WILL BE APPLICABLE.[/b] - - THIS FUEL Q-SURCHARGE WILL NOT BE APPLICABLE WHEN SOLD OUTSIDE NORTH AMERICA ON KL TICKETS
snow report
Lechbob,

On the NWA/Japan website: MAN-DEN dep 12/3 - 19/3 = JPY 38,310 Total Price » = £ 190.-
latest report
Lechbob wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I have just booked for Denver Mar 12-19 = AUS$344 = £161 ! Seems too cheap, only e-tickets - how do you check they are good with the airline ?
Will have work out rest of trip details. Getting to Heathrow looks like biggest pain. Thinking about staying in Frisco. CME airport shuttle looks fine & local public transport to resorts looks brilliant. Any recommendations ?

I just moved to Frisco last month and it is very central. Summit Stage buses go directly (stops but no transfers) to Breckenridge and Copper but you will have to transfer if you want to go to Keystone or A-basin. You can get both buses from the stop at 6th & Main (or the transit center behind Wal-Mart. There is a motel right at the 6th Street stop and a few near the transit center, but I would probably recommend staying at the Frisco Lodge on 4th- basic, somewhat rustic b & b, but with a bit more charm than some of the other places close to the bus stops. If you have a larger group, you could look into renting a condo at the Bear's Den (where we are renting for 2 months)- new and less than a block from the 6th & Main stop. VRBO.com is probably your best bet for condos, although there are lots of management companies around as well.

CME currently costs $55 one way from airport to Frisco transit center and something like $15-25 more directly to/from in town accomodation.

I don't go on snowheads all that often, but you could PM me if you have any other questions, etc.
ski holidays
tried expedia.com.au but it just redirected me automatically to .co.uk - what am I doing wrong?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy