Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where to ski late nov/ early dec

Poster: A snowHead
fairly new to the world of skiing(intermediate) and unfortunately this is the only time of year i can get to go. any ideas where would be a good place to go that would be garaunteed snow?

thanks for any help
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could afford to leave it till much nearer the time to book up as there will be no problems with accommodation at that time.

Last year there were a fair number of Austrian resorts open late Nov early Dec with some incredible snow. However that was last year, and this year could be so different.

I would suggest Hintertux as being the best glacier that I have skied (out of Tignes, Les 2 Alpes).

If you have to book flights now, book to Salzburg then you could either go to a nearer resort if they are open and have good snow or go to Hintertux (2.5 hours drive) or Kaprun (1 hour) if the worst came to the worst and you needed a glacier. I'd have thought that there would be no need to book accommodation till the day before you go.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks zorro.i know theres no garauntee at that time of year unless you go glacier skiing. would the best advice be wait till the week before and check the forecast before you book?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
theaulddub, yes, the later the better, but the other thing to consider is that you might find that the flight prices increase as you get close to the date you want to fly. So there may be a compromise with booking the flight only at this stage.

My perception is that Austria has done better for early season snow than France in recent years, but that doesn't mean that trend will continue.

I went to Hintertux 17/18 Nov a couple of years ago and there was a reasonable amount open. Unfortunately for us that year, we just missed the best conditions as it snowed really hard from the moment we left the slopes and all the way on the drive all the way back to the airport.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I went to Saas Fee at the end of November last year and it was great. There is a glacier, so a good chance that there will be enough open. I was lucky as it had snowed before I got there and you could ski right back to the village. I booked accomodation through the website and got very good B&B in the Hotel Euopa. Not all hotels are open at the end of November, but there would be no problem leaving booking till the last minute.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
was at saas fee myself last year and the run to the village opened before we left. really enjoyed it and very nice village but would like to try somewhere different. is there many other places with glaciers your gauranteed the snow.

checked out hintetlux there and looks ideal is there a good choice of intermediate slopes if the snows not great
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
theaulddub, I think Zermatt would be a safe bet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman, i've been to Zermatt in mid december before-there was plenty of snow but they had a very limited amount of terrain open which meant queues at the cable car meaning it took an hour to get to the top of the mountain which has put me off going again,wheras i've been several times to Tignes in early to mid december and the majority of the area has been open.

My suggestion is to try and go as late as you can into december rather than go in November which could mean the difference between just glacier skiing somewhere and being able to ski a good percentage of a resorts ski area.

theaulddub, how many of there are you in your group as you can usually catch some decent early season deals a few weeks before you go for the 1st and 2nd weeks of dec from some of the main tour ops though these tend to be mainly flying out of Gatwick with a few out of Manchester too-it might be worth going to one of the ski shows as you can get some good offers from there too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Atomic_Mick1970, I can imagine that.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
theaulddub, Hintertux loads of skiing and by that time of the year it will be like a small resort it is probably best to leave booking till as late as possible as you could get lucky and have a resort open that has got a big dump of snow.
Obergurgal would be a pretty good bet then to

Zermatt is good but very limited terrain and no quite as good as Hintertux IMHO, Tignes is not a bad bet either or Valdisere

Plenty of flights from Dublin to Salzburgh and Munich which are close for the austrian resorts
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
theaulddub, We open on 29th November, and I expect to be able to ski from the top of the glacier down to at least 2,600 or 2,100 in the first week. Last year we could ski right down, but you may not like the all black nature of the 'face' on the last leg anyway. Most of our skiing is above 2,400m anyway. Check out previous 3 year's snow reports for more of an idea. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
just me and the girlfriend and flying from dublin.

thanks for the help will pick out something from the above
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
theaulddub, Hah! Ryanair Dublin to Grenoble - you could do mid-week to mid-week at that time of year. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ischgl
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski wrote:
theaulddub, Hah! Ryanair Dublin to Grenoble - you could do mid-week to mid-week at that time of year. Very Happy

just checked it out and ryannair dont seem to fly to grenoble in early december and just when your persistence was paying off Very Happy how long would it take from lyon

does anybody know what the transfers are like from munich to hintertux ie bus /train and about how long it would take?
ski holidays
theaulddub, By car Lyon is about 2-2½ hours. They must be changing the routes - they've been flying that route all year until now. Sad
snow report
theaulddub, Lyon is about another 45 mins to an hour further than Grenoble to LDA but still not too bad as transfers go
snow conditions
theaulddub, Check out Aer Lingus also, they may be cheaper than Ryanair!
latest report
IIRC Ryanair and easyJet both dropped a load of routes between end of Oct and Christmas. This may have been one of them.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy