Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine - snow OK in mid-January?

Thanatos
Thanatos
Hi guys

Just wanting to know if you would recommend Morzine in mid January (17th Jan, 2009 to be specific!)? I've heard great reviews about Morzine but a few people have told me that the snow down at the town can be pretty poor, even mid-season (as in Feb 2008 and 2007, although it was warm at these times if I remember right).

I've reserved (but not booked) a ski-in/out chalet on the side opposite to Super Morzine, but it's a ways from the lift if there is no snow.

I know that PDS will be fine in general, and particularly Avoriaz, but really need to be able to ski back to chalet.

Thoughts? Puzzled

Much thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanatos, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead What altitude is the chalet? There are no certainties in this game, obviously, but it sounds as though the chalet might be a bit above the level of Morzine town? Feb 2008 wasn't great - mid January was much better, in fact.
latest report
 Thanatos
Thanatos
Pam - thank-you very much for the warm welcome. The chalet is only just a little higher than the centre itself. It's between Felix Ski and des Fys lifts. It's not really massively up the mountain at all - 20 mins walk downhill into town, but yes, a little above the town itself.

I'm actually going to Morzine in March with the boys, but this holiday is with the family so far more important!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to snowHeads Thanatos.

I'm writing this from Morzine - so you'll understand that I have more than a passing interest...

As a general statement, "the snow in Morzine will be fine in mid-January". But. And.

Morzine really doesn't do ski in / ski out. Any chalet between Felix Ski and the des Fys lift is on a run that is probably the very first in the area to close. So any claim to be "ski in / ski out" is predicated by the fact that it'll only be ski in / ski out for the best 6-8 weeks of the season. So, personally, I'd steer well clear.

I repeat that Morzine doesn't do ski in / ski out. The village is in the bottom of a valley.

This doesn't mean that I wouldn't wholeheartedly recommend the place to you. I would and do. (Look at my sig.).

But if you want ski in / ski out then head to Avoriaz.

But come to Morzine and stay in a chalet that has the integrity to say that "we've not on the piste, but will take you to a lift every morning and pick you up afterwards".

PM me if you want some recommendations.

Ditch the reservation.

As a final word. You really don't need to be able to ski back to a chalet. If you think that then you'll limit yourself something rotten.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PhillipStanton, well said.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PhillipStanton, I don't know Morzine well, but that's why I thought that any chalet claiming to be "ski in/out" must be some distance above the valley! Much better be right near a bus stop than have to hike.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhillipStanton, Agree totally.Thanatos, How old are the children and do they need ski school? Also a factor in chalet choice. If you need a hand send us an email.
latest report
 Thanatos
Thanatos
PhillipStanton, Thanks for the clear advice. I will PM you for recommendations. My little baby girl is only 10 weeks old and will be 7 months when we ski, so nanny care is essential. I take the points about ski in/out; I think there's nothing better than popping your skis on just outside the chalet / hotel and off you go, plus if there are any issues, we can get back to the chalet quickly, without fuss.

The chalet do offer transport morning, afternoon and evening, but if there's no snow down at the centre, we may as well stay nearer the centre.

Thanks for all your help!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanatos, What is the name of the chalet? We can no doubt give you true advice of location!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I think there's nothing better than popping your skis on just outside the chalet / hotel and off you go, plus if there are any issues, we can get back to the chalet quickly, without fuss.

There are plenty of places where you'd be able to do that; they're just not in Morzine.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Where are they? You responded to my earlier thread, I had started looking at Avoriaz on the recommendation of another snowHead but I am not even sure if that is snow sure enough for January. SO have started looking at Val Thorens, any other suggestions?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
reded78, Not snow sure in January - your're having a laugh!!! Best powder days ever to be had then!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowForecast.com 6 month forecast is just out and is showing 50/110 for Morzine on Sat Jan 17th. Carled will attest to the accuracy of their forecasts so you can book with confidence.

SCGB also has a firm forecast, which is that the proverbial Best Conditions will be found, as always, on those elusive "Upper Slopes".

That get's me thinking.... which resort has the most of these "Upper Slopes" which always seem to have have the best of it - and which is better (and more polite) an Austrian Upper Slope or a french Upper Slope?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27, You will have snow and plenty of it in Avoriaz mid January! Dont worry!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Surely no 6 month forecast can be viewed with confidence? The boundary between cooler and warmer air has stayed a long way south this summer, they must have a darn good model to say it's going to be in the right place for the winter...
latest report
 Poster: A snowHead
RichardA, Welcome to snowHead , I hope you enjoy.

Alas red 27, was taking the wee-wee about folks who continually ask for a precise forecast for a given period in a given resort many months before the event. We have a couple of good forecasters here ... they are still in hibernation. This 'wee-wee-taking possibly due to redred78's suggestion that Avoriaz might be too low. Alas if it is cold he'll freeze his nuts in Val Thorens mid-January ... not time and place for a young babe-in-arms.

If Morzine has 'no snow' mid Jan then many of us are going to be hacked off as there is unlikely to be much snow anywhere
latest report
reded78, I suspect you'll be fine in Avoriaz... these are the Jan stats from the last 7 years (first figure lower slopes, second figure upper slopes) courtesy of this website.

January 2002 63cm 119cm
January 2003 26cm 194cm
January 2004 132cm 157cm
January 2005 80cm 82cm
January 2006 122cm 139cm
January 2007 42cm 81cm
January 2008 142cm 195cm

As you can see unless something rather freakish happens (which i guess is possible but not probable) you'll be fine... plenty of skiing to be had! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's just as likely to be snow above Morzine in mid January as in mid February (last year, as I said, there was better snow in most places in mid January than in mid February). In mid January there will most definitely be loads of places to choose from, and you certainly don't need to choose now - why not wait and see till you have some chance of a sensible forecast and do a bargain last minute booking? Some places are nice towns with real character - for example Morzine, Megeve, but not likely to be "ski in/out". Other places are high - like Val Thorens - but also pretty well devoid of character, certainly devoid of trees and can be very cold and bleak in January. You can't have everything.

Ski in/out? Loads of places. Les Arcs (some parts), La Plagne (some parts), Flaine, Avoriaz, quick 4 off the top of the head. Bisanne 1500 (where our apartment is!). We have been able to ski from our place from Christmas till mid April (not always on great snow) for the last five years but that doesn't mean we always will.
snow report
Thanks for the advice guys.

Looking back at my earlier post I did not mean it to read as though I was expecting anyone to offer a "detailed / precise" forecasts this far in advance. I may not have been on here long, but I read many threads last season where a week or two was too much in advance to predict never mind 4 / 6 months, all I was looking for was some general upfront advice as to where would be good for a group of guys with only 4 days free in January, and be as sure as is possible to get some decent snow.

Did like the look of Avoriaz though, looks like something out of James Bond from a distance.

Any one else wish they could just go away now? Laughing
ski holidays
reded78, the PdS is a cracking area - great choice for a lads long weekend, I've done a few there myself and Morzine is great base, with easy flights to GVA, cheap minibus transfers, and lots of cheap 'n' cheerful 'refreshment' emporia

I was there in mid Jan 2007 (which was a rubbish start to the season) no snow to be seen in, or indeed FROM the resort, but we just had to up-ride the chair from the top of the super-morzine gondola to reach Avoriaz, and like others have said if there's no snow there, then, well, there's just no snow.

Only pulling your leg about the forecast... we all love a bit of crystal-ball gazing wink
snow report
reded78 wrote:
Did like the look of Avoriaz though, looks like something out of James Bond from a distance.

The blue (Combes a Florets) and red runs down to Les Lindarets are pure James Bond fodder Smile

snow conditions
So red 27, you are basically saying I can go ahead and book the digs for Avoriaz wtih 100% certainty of having amazing powder for exactly between the 15th and 19th of Jan. Thanks for that, you have put my mind at rest!

But seriously, I think I will go with the suggestions I have another post, and just book flights to Geneva at the moment, and then book the accommodation last mintue where the snow looks good.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
reded78, Good idea!
ski holidays
Further to this discussion, I'm also looking at a (late) Jan short break, and Morzine and Les Gets have been mentioned as possibles. Which would be the better place for a short break? Does staying in Les Gets make it much harder to get up into Avoriaz?
snow conditions
Quote:

Does staying in Les Gets make it much harder to get up into Avoriaz?

Yes. But that doesn't mean it isn't a good place for a short break - there's plenty of skiing without going up to Avoriaz. If you want to ski Avoriaz during a short break, it would be better to stay up there as you won't want to spend too much time trekking around.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Does staying in Les Gets make it much harder to get up into Avoriaz?

Yes. But that doesn't mean it isn't a good place for a short break - there's plenty of skiing without going up to Avoriaz. If you want to ski Avoriaz during a short break, it would be better to stay up there as you won't want to spend too much time trekking around.

I would agree that getting over from Les Gets to Avoriaz isn't impossible, but i doubt it would be neccesary. Les Gets looked far prettier having travelled through it on the way to Avoriaz last season, and the snow looked excellent too!
ski holidays
I just get the impression that short break apartments will be easier to come by in Morzine and Les Gets than in Avoriaz. Or am I wrong?
snow report
rainman,
Whenever I have tried short bereaks they have been hotel based I don't think apartments are easy to find anywhere for less than a week though a few exist.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 27-08-08 16:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rainman, I would have said you were wrong on that one. We did 3 nights (4 days) in January through Erna Low. I think most Pierre de Vacances places will offer short break accomm.

//Edit: For info, ours was a self catering appartment sleeping 8/9 at a push
latest report
I'm wrong on this one then. Embarassed
snow report
T Bar, no, I'm not sure you are. It IS harder to find apartments for less than the standard week - I did so in Les Gets one year, but only because I booked 48 hours in advance (having failed to find anything earlier). Also did in Courchevel 1650 at Easter - again last minute booking. Using Erna Low or whatever you probably pay more (both mine were through the local tourist office). Unless you want to bridge a weekend it's probably cheaper to pay for 7 days, and then not use them all, and also gives you far more choice.
ski holidays
pam w, only based on my experience but we didnt have any trouble getting a short stay break 5/6 months in advance. As i mentioned, through Erna Low, and the price quoted was actually less expensive than the price on the Avoriaz website. Maybe i just got lucky, but they also were offering short stay accomm in a number of other french resorts too.

I do agree that it is definately/more choice to get 7 night accomm, but certainly proved no problem for us last season. For info, we paid about £500 for a 8/9 appartment for 3 nights... there was 6 of us, so a cost of about £27 per person per night...

// Edit: some other prices from August last year for a 3 night stay:

Tignes, L Ecrin D’Neiges: 1x 3 bedroom 7/8 person apartment will cost £726 accommodation only
La Plagne, Les Haut Bois: 1x 2 bedroom 7/8 person apartment will cost £472 accommodation only.
La Plagne, Les Haut Bois: 1x 3bedroom 7/8 person apartment will cost £590 accommodation only.
ski holidays
pam w, we've had no problem over the last few years in Chamonix or Tignes taking half a week (Sun-Weds). But I had definitely banked on the possibility of booking for 7 days and not using them all.

My assumption was based on there being fewer British, privately owned apts in Avoriaz. And it's been these owners who have been most accomodating over the last few years. Often, people will use the second half of the week to ski, themselves.
snow report
 Thanatos
Thanatos
rainman, I've booked Chalet-hotel La Chaumiere in Morzine for a short break with the boys in March (www.simply-morzine.co.uk). Seemed to do the trick for me and is reasonably priced. Best for me is that I can add rooms on as more of the undecided group make up their minds. I can't attest to the quality of the hotel at all, but other snowHead 's might be able too.

Roy Hockley, seems like ages ago that you posted the question, but I was looking at Chalet Madeleine also through simply-morzine. Any thoughts from anyone on a) location and b) quality of service and chalet for this one, or the Chalet-hotel La Chaumiere?

I have an option on a ski-in/out chalet in La Plagne that does tick all my boxes but I wouldn't mind skiing PDS twice next year (I've never been there before, but I have been to Plagne and Les Arcs).
snow conditions
rainman, We do short breaks in apartments in Morzine.
latest report
ski-finder, those prices seem a bit high, especially for August. I'd expect to pay those prices AT MOST for weeks out of season.
ski holidays
pam w, You are right, prices are IMO high for that time of year! Looks like the prices are for a full week or even a two week stay! Confused
snow conditions
snowandtrek, PM on its way to you!
snow conditions
Hello all. Looks as though I've found somewhere in Morzine that'll do us three nights. Fantastique. Cheers for the help. I'll be back soon for Morzine/ PDS recommendations, as the last time I was in Avoriaz was 20 years ago!. Can't believe I can even write that, seeing as I still think I'm only 19 Crying or Very sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy