Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free 1 Day Beginners Navigation Course in Snowdonia

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
Just an update for this coming Saturday.

Please ensure that you have suitable waterproof clothing and sturdy waterproof walking boots for a day on paths/tracks and possibly cross country.

I will bring compasses and maps for all of you, If you do have your own then please bring them with you on the day.
You will need a packed lunch and hot/cold drink as we will eat on the hill. A small torch or head torch may be an idea as we will probably be heading back at dusk time.

If you can also bring a pen and paper to make notes with you may find that useful.

In short, wrap up warm and dry.

Outlook for Saturday / Rhagolygon ar gyfer Dydd Sadwrn

Starting overcast and mild with drizzly rain, mist and extensive hill fog. The rain will become persistent and heavier by afternoon. However much drier brighter weather will spread from the North late in the afternoon. Strong Southwest winds gusting to 40mph will veer Westerly and ease slightly.

If you have any questions please feel free to call me.

Other than that I look forward to meeting you all on Saturday.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mark handford, Hmm. Sounds like a cold front coming through in the afternoon? Maybe it will all happen faster and we'll start off in the brighter drier westerlies..... sounds like a soggy day, otherwise. When I lived in Wales we always had lovely bright dry weather. Everything went to pot after I left.. Extensive hill fog sounds like just the thing for practising navigation though. wink See you on Saturday.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, yes, I have a spare pair of gaiters I can bring along if you need 'em.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
phil625sxc, yes, please. Sounds like they'll be essential.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just a heads up. Taken from the met Office site. Looks like we are going to have fun Happy

Outlook for Saturday / Rhagolygon ar gyfer Dydd Sadwrn
Mostly overcast and mild with outbreaks of drizzly rain and extensive hill fog. Eastern most areas will be drier with hill fog more patchy at times. Gale force southwest winds will gust to 60mph.

Outlook for Sunday / Rhagolygon ar gyfer Dydd Sul
Mostly overcast and mild with bursts of drizzly rain and extensive hill fog. The rain liable to turn more persistent through the day. Fresh west winds gusting to 35mph.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, I've made it home. Wussed out of doing anything but shopping today....but had a great day yesterday. Thanks Mark snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We had a great day out and I learnt a lot and nice to meet a few more snowheads. Thanks to Mark for organising a fantastic day. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well I have come back full of enthusiasm after a brill day out with Mark (and a few others snowHead Laughing )

Having never done anything like this I was very aprehensive about my fitness to walk, climb or scramble up hills etc and would my kit with bits that were begged and borrowed stand up to this, but the lesson was to teach navigation skills and not to cover the maximum killometers.
We were fortunate with the weather and only had a bit off drizzle on and off but it was a bit boggy underfoot Shocked and I was so glad I had borrowed some waterproof trousers (which the person now dosent want back although I have told her I have washed them Laughing ) but my feet were completly dry and I was never cold which I am sure was a big bonus.
Mark started with some theory which lasted approx 2hrs then we were out on the hills by 11:30ish and because you were concentrating on the maps and compasses you (or I didnt) notice the gradient increasing.
I was a bit scared walking in the wet/boggy bits in case of falling on my hand, but my only injury of the day was a scraped shin when I slipped on some stones scrambling up a hilly bit (pic to follow) rolling eyes
I might not have been the best with the compass rolling eyes but that's something to look at again. The decent back to the road was done in the pitch black by headtorches and showed the importance of concentration and teamwork to get down.
Mark said he thought we had covered about 8kgs and there are a few with Memory Map who have said they will plot the route taken, I would be interested to see it.
All in all a brill weekend with a great day meeting new folks.
Many thanks to Mark for his patience and putting up with me rolling eyes
Many thanks to my map partner Farley Laughing and for him paying for our coffee at the hotel and keeping me in chocolate Very Happy
Farley and Geepee for their company in the pub saturday night Laughing those beers went down very well Toofy Grin
Elizabeth B, for her company all weekend and all the others who encouraged me along the way it was a great day and nice to meet you all.

Anybody up for Snowdon next year? Very Happy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 17-11-08 10:43; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oooh - how come I never opened this thread before? Confused I'd have loved to have gone on this, although I couldn't have made that date.

mark handford, I'd be very keen if you're ever thinking of doing it again Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Linds wrote:
Mark said he thought we had covered about 8kgs...............

This a walking or eating weekend?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

This a walking or eating weekend?

thefatcontroller, Both if you could have seen what I ate on saturday night Embarassed Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had a really good weekend. Coming down off the mountain in the dark was a totally new experience to me. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks very much Mark
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Linds, ... glad you all enjoyed it ... !mark handford, 's a super bloke.

How many stitches did that 'Shin trauma' require .... Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just like to join the others in saying a massive thanks to Mark for doing this, what a top bloke.

I had a great time, and felt I had learnt loads by the end of the day - I actually think my brain had reached saturation point for new info by about 16:00... Laughing

Was great to meet you all, wish I could have stayed for the birthday party on Sat night ! Also wish I'd checked the batteries in my headtorch before coming away, Embarassed but coming off the hill mostly using the force (and the light from other people's toches) was an experience in itself !! Great fun. Very Happy

Cheers again Mark, I'll email you about coming back and doing a regular course sometime.

I have a few pics I'll try and add later.

Phil
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Linds, well done to you and the rest of the team . . . I could be tempted with this next year if it's one again. Very Happy
snow report
Linds wrote:
Mark said he thought we had covered about 8kgs and there are a few with Memory Map who have said they will plot the route taken, I would be interested to see it.

I'll let you know that I carried around a lot more than 8Kgs NehNeh

Having plotted it on Memory Map as accurately as I can when working with a 1:50000, I reckon that we covered 8.25 Km and climbed up about 200m (MM says 300m but it counts every tuft of grass as climbing 1m rolling eyes )
snow report
Quote:

8.25 Km and climbed up about 200m

Elizabeth B, So is that good for a first timer?

Quote:

How many stitches did that 'Shin trauma' require ....

BernardC, I will be able to tell you in all its glory and every footstep that I took at a dinner very soon Laughing
Perhaps it could take over from The Refuge or the New Zealand (or was it Australia Confused) story Laughing Toofy Grin

IncogSkiSno, Some thoughts were bantered about at the weekend for a couple of weekend trips next year.
ski holidays
Just got home. I'd like to add my thanks to Mark. He was an excellent guide and instructor and all I need now is the right sort of compass to go and practice on my own (Mark had lent compasses and maps to those of us without them).

The weather was nothing like as bad as forecast; we scarcely got rained on at all. phil625sxc, many thanks for those gaiters.

Quote:

So is that good for a first timer?

Linds, yes, I'd say it was quite a baptism of fire, with all that bog and stuff. Hope you enjoyed your birthday dinner. By the time we got back down to Betws y Coed and had a shower we couldn't quite face coming all the way back up the valley - we collapsed into the nearest hostelry with Mogs and co.

The following day I felt I needed to go and do some practice and exercises right away, to consolidate what we'd done. Maybe Mark could arrange a 2 day trip sometime next year (at his usual professional rates, rather than a Snowheads freebie....)?
latest report
ok, see if this works...should be some pics here from the day...

snow report
pam w, no problem, nice to meet you. Smile
snow conditions
Mark is top. very interested in more advanced course . Smile
snow report
Linds

Elizabeth B wrote:

..... I reckon that we covered 8.25 Km ....

. congratulations ... that's just a tad more than Mt. Everest .... Laughing
ski holidays
Hi all,
What a great day out with pretty good weather (never trust met forecast for snowdonia wink )
Im glad you all gained something from the day and I hope that some of the information is now implanted somewhere in your snowheads. Im sure if your ever faced with a bit of a navigation problem, and you have map and compass with you, that you you will remember back to our day out and run through things logically,plus try to remember the 3 D's.

Thanks for all the great feedback that is posted on here and to the personal e-mails I have received. I will reply to you all individually.

It was great to meet you all and I would hope to meet up with you on the snow at some point in the future.

Cheers for now.
Mark
ski holidays
Can we have a sH gully skiing day in Snowdonia this winter?
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
Can we have a sH gully skiing day in Snowdonia this winter?

Banana Gully, Hour Glass Gully, Cwm Lloer, The mushroom gardens, all skiable when theres good snow cover with a crap pair of skis that dont mind rocks!
snow report
I'm a bit late with my thanks to Mark and all the SH's for a great day out. It is just amazing what Mark can deduce a square inch (sorry, 40mm sq.)of OS map.
Great photos, Phil, thanks. These will be a fine memory esp. for Linds on her first bogwalk.

Yes, a repeat over two days would be really good and don't any of you hold back from booking yourselves via Mark's excellent website,www.snowdonia-adventures.co.uk
ski holidays
mark handford, I was actually thinking of Banana as I wrote that Laughing
snow report
Farley Goode,

I popped in to the Tyn y Coed the other day to pay the bill for the course tea and coffee etc only to find that Mr Farley Goode had allready paid it!!

You are a bit of a devil aren't you? snowHead

A Very big thank you, enjoy the rest of your holiday Little Angel

Cheers
Mark
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy