Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free 1 Day Beginners Navigation Course in Snowdonia

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, there is still one place left on this course.

Thanks
Mark
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Mark

Is this place still available ?

Thanks,

Phil
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mark handford, Mark, if the place is still available I would like to take it up i will make my donation later tonight Regards Jaxonskis
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
phil625sxc, jaxonskis, Yes there is still one place available. Make your donation and become a "snowhead", 1st to do this gets the last place.

Thanks
Mark
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mark handford, Hi I made a donation on line last night does this qualify me for the last place Regards Jaxonskis
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jaxonskis, not sure how on top of things admin is with updating the user rankings (IIRC it's done manually), but as far as I am aware, you will stay "down a crevasse" until snowHeads has a valid email address for you.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The course is now full

Confirmed on the course are

Martski
Mogs
Geepee
Linds
Farley Goode
Pam W
Pam W's OH
Mark B

Elizabeth B will also be assisting on the day.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well given the weather I doubt I'd take the bike over for a pint... have fun gang. And remember - the worse the weather the better it is to train nav skills Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarpa, how do you know what the weather will be like? And when you're at it, can you tell me whether it will be OK for skiing in Morzine at Christmas? Come for a pint. I lived in Wales till I was 24. It doesn't always rain. Just usually.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, Very Happy I'm trying to tempt fate and make it dry up Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Morzine will suffer a temperature inversion on the fifth day of Christmas so take an early lift up high and you might look down on cloud filled valleys as you ski in brilliant sunshine.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarpa, What about Verbier/La Plagne/St Anton from the 14th December ? Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ahh curses, missed it !

if there's a cancellation list or anyone drops out then I'd love to come along - if not then have fun everyone... Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm so jealous, do hope it might happen again (very happy to pay a fee, though, to you or your organisation, mark handford.) Enjoy yourselves, one and all.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mark handford wrote:
The course is now full

Confirmed on the course are

Martski
Mogs
Geepee
Linds
Farley Goode
Pam W
Pam W's OH
Mark B

Elizabeth B will also be assisting on the day.

If there is a change to those listed above please post on here so that other SH may fill your place.

The meeting point and time for Saturday 15th November is:

The Tyn y Coed Inn
Capel Curig
LL24 0EE
01690 720331

The course start time is 09.00
Finish time back at the Tyn y Coed car park will be no later than 17.00.

There is ample parking on the car park opposite the hotel. Please use the central entrance to the hotel and go straight ahead to the mini reception room, I will put a sign up on the door.

Tea and coffee will be available for you whilst we spend no more than 1.5hrs covering the basics indoors.

After that we will be spending the rest of the day outside using marked tracks and paths in a hill/mountain environment. We may venture off the beaten track depending on how we are all getting on.

For the day you will need:

Waterproof jacket and trousers, these can be light weight, please don't wear ski wear as its not always waterproof and can be very hot to walk in.

Sturdy waterproof walking boots or similar, the ground will most likely be wet and boggy/muddy (Its North Wales!).

Lunch will be taken outside, so a packed lunch will be needed plus your hot/cold drinks for the day.
A small ruck sack will be ideal for carrying your food and personal items etc, make sure you pack warm gloves, hats and Don't forget some form of head torch or similar!

We will be using the Ordnance Survey map of Snowdonia - OL17 1:25,000 scale. Maps can be provided if you need them as well as compasses, please let me know before hand.

The course content is aimed at novice level. If there is time and people are learning effectively there may be the chance to cover some intermediate techniques later on in the day.

I will be e-mailing you all the above information as well as booking/medical forms which I would like you to bring with you on the day.

See you all soon
Mark
latest report
Sorry, due to other commitments can't attend so anyone want to take my place?
snow conditions
skisimon wrote:
Linds wrote:
I was on my RAF basic training camping course and it was so cold they pulled us out after 24hrs back to our Hereford base Shocked
I could say something... but I won't. Other than to add that we were left out when the pongoes were being pulled off Dartmoor (-20 plus further windchill and flooding Skullie ). Problem with the RN is the bootnecks take you for a week on Dartmoor, evil b*ggers...

Navigation is best taught on location so to speak. So enjoy the course everyone.

Raf on Exercise really!!!!!! They check in (hotels) not dig in don't they NehNeh
snow report
martski wrote:

I'd love to, might have work commitments meself though. Shall check and possibly become a superdooperheadfullofsnow or somesuch?! eh?
ski holidays
martski wrote:

I'll happily take this place if still available ?

Thanks !
ski holidays
phil625sxc, I have PM you. The spare place is yours.

kittya, I will happily put you as a standby if another place becomes available and your work commitments allow.

The course is now full again.
ski holidays
[quote="mark handford"]phil625sxc, I have PM you. The spare place is yours.

Thanks Mark.
ski holidays
Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap n cheerful accomodation in the area ?

ta.
latest report
phil625sxc, Plenty of the mountaineering clubs rent out external bookings... under a tenner per night usually.
ski holidays
phil625sxc, There is a YHA in Capel Curig, you should get a good B&B deal there:

http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodation/wales/hostels/Capel-Curig/index.aspx
snow conditions
Scarpa, mark handford, cheers chaps.
snow report
Anyone travelling there on the Friday night? I'm staying overnight in The Tyn y Coed Inn. snowHead
ski holidays
phil625sxc, Happy birthday. Cool
latest report
geepee, some of us are staying in Betws y Coed - the Church Hill Guest House, arriving Friday. If you can make it down from Capel Curig it would be great to meet you. The Church Hill Guest House, according to jacksonskis, is neither very cheap nor especially cheerful but we shall have a good evening nonetheless.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

cheap n cheerful accomodation

bivi bag, that's what I do! and happy birthdayphil625sxc.
snow conditions
Me and Linds will be there Friday night....but I've not booked accommodation yet Embarassed
snow conditions
geepee, Swirly, thanks !

I was toying with the idea of chucking the tent in the car but as I'm heading up straight from work on the Friday and won't get there until late-ish I've wimped out and booked into the YHA !
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, see my post above - a few of us are in the Church Hill Guest House, Betws y Coed. It would be nice if you could join us.
ski holidays
pam w, I was holding off becasue I was thinking of seeing if pyb had any space for b&b...but they only do last minute bookings.

phil625sxc, which YHA are you in? Linds and I are booked into the one in Capel Curig for 2 nights. I liked the fact that for a cheap price they throw in a free breakfast!

May make an attempt on Snowdon or Tryfan on Sunday if the weather is pleasing.
latest report
Elizabeth B, yep, I'm in the same one, as per Mark's suggestion earlier, but just for the Friday night as I have to get back to London on Sat night.
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, phil625sxc, I'm in the Tyn y Coed Inn for 2 nights. I will probably be leaving earlyish on Sunday morning. I didn't fancy the drive home after a day in the mountains. Looking at the map it's only a few hundred yards from the YHA.
snow conditions
Hi all,

We will be using the ordnance survey 1:25000 scale map of Snowdonia, the map reference is OL17.

Can those attending please let me know if you need to borrow a map and/or compass for the day.
I will also e-mail you all direct this week.

If you have gaiters to wear with your boots then please bring them; its quite boggy up here:)

See you all on Saturday.
Cheers
Mark
ski holidays
mark handford, I was just wondering about that; might have left my compass in France. Definitely left gaiters - was up to the knees in mud on a very mild walk in Essex on Sunday. Embarassed I might try to borrow a pair. I will definitely have to borrow a map - will let you know about the compass. If it's OK I'll bring my GPS because learning how to use it on the mountains (as opposed to the sea) is something I'm hoping to tackle.
latest report
pam w,
Quote:

Definitely left gaiters

I may have a spare pair I can bring - I'll check tonight.
ski holidays
phil625sxc, thanks a lot.
snow conditions
I've got a compass, but could do with borrowing a map if you have a spare one!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy