Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year's Skiing in Europe - where best???

Poster: A snowHead
I'm hoping to go skiing with my boyfriend for the week around New Years, but I'm overwhelmed when it comes to deciding where in Europe. Our criteria is fairly simple - somewhere that will have good snow at that time of year, and that won't feel really, really crowded on the slopes... Neither of us are especially good at skiing, so a resort that's improver friendly is what we're really looking for. Last Feb we were in Soldeu in Andorra - liked the resort facilities, lifts etc, for the most part, but the snow was rubbish and the slopes were thronged!

Am I looking for the impossible - a super-snowy, improver-friendly resort that isn't super-crowded over New Years??? So far, I've had recommendations of Les Arcs, La Plaigne and Val Cenis in France - more recommendations really, really welcome!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone seen that snow report for late December lying around? I'm sure I put it down here somewhere..... wink

wkndtripper, Head to one of the bigger resorts/areas - Espace Killy, Paradiski, PdS or the 3 Valleys. You'll get better in resort facilities, an expanse and variety of skiing to enable you to miss the crowds whilst satisfying your personal ambitions, and also more altitude to 'guarantee' snow (or failing that, better snow making facilities)

Oh, and welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wkndtripper, try La Rosiere, great snow record always one of the top 5 French resorts for snow cover. It's smaller and much better value than the mega ski-stations nearby, so it never gets as crowded and it's terrific value. It's also a really good resort to learn in or to improve in, just about all the pistes are south or south-west facing so it makes the most of sunny days and there's a good mix of pistes. Have a look at www.trackvacations.com www.morealps.com or www.amountainchalet.co.uk for for some independent chalet operators who specilaise in La Rosiere.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Montgenevre fits that criteria pretty well.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all that info - super useful! The choice is so overwhelming...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
wkndtripper, it is probably your requirements that have drawn the stunned silence (except of course for the recommendation of La Rosiere, but then Mr Traxvax would have been recommended that resort whatever you had stated as your requirements). You are going at the busiest time, early season, but want quiet slopes and good snow. Could be tricky.

Of course if the snow is good, then you may find a quiet resort, but if it is not good, then everyone will head for the same few places and it will not be quiet.

I would suggest Obertauern in Austria. A high resort with an excellent snow record, with almost all hotels ski in/ski out. Some good slopes to build your confidence and also other ones to progress onto. I went there one Easter and it wasn't that busy.

Tignes would be another option (but unlikely to be quiet slopes) lots of blues and a high, snowsure resort.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wkndtripper,
Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

What you are asking for is not really answerable as alluded to by Guvnor, at the beginning of his post. New Year is not the most reliable time for snow anywhere in the alps. It is also busy, crowded and expensive. If you have the opporunity of taking any other week I would from a snow point of view I would. Having said that new year can also be lively and fun and may well have good snow.
The above suggestions are reasonable though the large resorts are more likely to be crowded and expensive. Personally I quite like some of the Austrian resorts which often get good early season snow. Galtur is small and uncrowded resort with decent height and a good snow record though it can be very cold in December. Obertauern is a little less attractive and busier but has an excellent snow record.

Edit Ray Zorro we seem to have x posted and said much the same thing.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 21-08-08 22:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
T Bar, snap!! Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wkndtripper, would strongly agree with the last couple of posts. New Year is the LAST time to go skiing unless you have no choice. Very crowded, expensive, short and quite dark days, too early to be sure of snow. If you have no choice, I actually think La Rosiere would be a good place for you to go (and I have no vested interest - other than having had a good couple of holidays there in the past). I don't think there's much point going somewhere like the Espace Killy where you're not likely to be able to make the most of the vast domain and where the skiing can be quite bleak and intimidating at that time of year.

But if you can possible go later (ideally mid March, or failing that end Jan/early Feb) do. No time of year is guaranteed good snow but those give you the best combinations of lack of crowds and fair chance of good snow. If you want to make the money go a long way, go for mid January and WAIT to book - with two of you you'll find good last minute deals, especially in catered chalets.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A well reasoned answer as usual pam w,
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zermatt ticks some of your boxes. It will have snow if anywhere has, it has plenty of intermediate skiing, and while there will be lots of people there is also lots of space. The downside is that it wont be cheap.
A bonus is that its very romantic. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wkndtripper, Welcome to snowHead 's. It will be difficult to fulfill your requirements! As said earlier in the post New year is very high season and you will be paying top dollar! To put it in context that week for a particular apartment is @ €1500, two weeks later the same apartment is @€600 Crying or Very sad .

How many times have you and bf been skiing? If you have skied 6 weeks we may have a recomendation for you, if you have only been once we can steer you in the way of another resort! Lots of lovely places to go to, sooooo little time! BTW where will you hope to fly from?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think Les Arcs would be a good bet for New Year. It is one of my favourite resorts particularly the slopes around Arc 1800.

I'm hoping La Rosiere will be good at New Year as we are trying it for the first time. However we have children and are now tied to the school holidays. In your position I would book somewhere like Les Arcs for last week of Feb or first week of March.

Would also recommend Courmayeur in Italy..not ski in ski out, but good for intermediates and has lovely mountain restaurants. You can also Ski the Vallee Blanche run to Chamonix - I went years ago with Inghams and they arranged the day trip there from Courmayeur.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowymum,
Quote:

You can also Ski the Vallee Blanche run to Chamonix -

Not usually at New Year you can't
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've not been at New Year, so can't comment on the snow record, but Livigno in Italy could be another option for you.
latest report
I would recommend Austria at Christmas, atmosphere, real villages, real beer, apre Ski to enjoy.

Consider one of the resorts with access to a glacier to guarantee the skiing. Kaprun and Zell am See could just be your ticket.

Good luck and enjoy.

Very Happy
snow report
its got to be austria, Welcome to snowheads. You aren't biased in anyway are you?? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
David Murdoch, At least he has not put a link on to his first post!!! That would indeed be ott!

Despite our cynicism its got to be austria, , Welcome to snowHead 's
snow report
its got to be austria, absolutely. As usual most recommendations are for France because that's the only place most seem to have any knowledge of. People troll out the same myths regards snow-surity. "Guaranteed" snow has as much to do with latitude and longitude as it does with altitude. And skiability has more to do with what's under the snow than the meterage above it... Austria has mainly lush pasture, most of France has nice jagged rocks. At that time of year with the possibility of howling weather, I think a few trees are a good idea... Austria has 'em higher up the skiable area, some of the French places recommended can be desolate, featureless, wind turbines. Then there are all the other considerations like ambience, value for money, night life etc.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Bode Swiller, loser ! wink

btw, "reliability" as defined above is the altitude necessary to average a 100 day season given today's climate.
snow report
brian, this doesn't take into account the direction in which the slopes face. South facing resorts in any department of the alps is going to have increasing snow melt than an resort at the same altitude.
latest report
brian, thanks for the confirmation that reliable skiable snow is found at lower altitudes in Austria. And you need a lot more snow depth to cover those big gnarly French rocks! Your graph also doesn't take into account garlic breath.
ski holidays
brian, Fascinating .... if a bit generalised .... not surprised about Italy either as the snow line does always seem to be higher than France and Switzerland when we drive through.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
And you need a lot more snow depth to cover those big gnarly French rocks!
Are French pasturelands only to be found at lower levels than Austrian pasturelands? Is the vegetation line higher in Austria than France?
snow report
Quote:

big gnarly French rocks

don't go over the top, Bode Swiller, there are plenty of French slopes with no gnarly rocks, which are grassy pastures in summer. There's a big one right outside my apartment, in fact.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

big gnarly French rocks

don't go over the top, Bode Swiller, there are plenty of French slopes with no gnarly rocks, which are grassy pastures in summer. There's a big one right outside my apartment, in fact.

Indeed. The golf course outside my apartment goes up to about 1900m. Makes lovely nursery slopes in the winter.
ski holidays
rob@rar, pam w, of course there are many examples of lush French pasture but, in general, and depending on the resort, Austrian slopes are mainly pasture and French slopes mainly aren't. I'm generally generalising in a general kind of way and generally like to dispel skiing myths about altitude being the big factor in snow reliability, generally.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, Austrian slopes will be mainly pasture if they are relatively low altitudes, French slopes will similarly be pasture if they are low and have less vegetation if they are high. Nothing uniquely Austrian or French about that.

In general the higher you go the colder it is, so if unseasonably warm temperatures are leading to a lack of snow you are better to aim higher. Also, the closer you are to the continental interior the colder the average temperature will be in the winter. That is why is is often not possible to compare an Austrian resort at 1500m with a French resort at 1500m - they have different climate systems. The best advice IMO is to aim high in which ever country you choose, if you plan to ski at the start or the end of the season. There will be times when that advice is not valid, but as a rule of thumb I think it is a good one.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think this photo shows that relatively high altitude terrain in France is not always covered in boulders and loose scree. That photo is of the terrain above Arc 1800, probably ranging up to about 2100m in the immediate foreground.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 28-08-08 14:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
rob@rar, somewhere in there we're agreeing. The original question was where's best at New Year. I'd gamble on Austria before France.
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
rob@rar, somewhere in there we're agreeing. The original question was where's best at New Year. I'd gamble on Austria before France.

I have no idea what the historical snow records are for that time of year for, say, the highest three resorts in both countries, but I think that would be more useful info than a discussion of pastureland or rocky slopes. I've skied at Christmas or New Year for at least the last 15 years in either Courchevel, Val d'Isere or Les Arcs. Always had enough snow to ski on, and conditions have often been good considering how early it was in the season.
snow report
This is St Anton

and this is Les Arcs (note big rocks and small children)
ski holidays
Well I'd hope those children aren't permanent fixtures in Les Arcs. Doesn't say much for the welfare of the children or the maintenance of pistes. Very Happy snowHead

Well from what I've heard (as I've never been to either of those 2 resorts) St.Anton would suffer from crowding on the pistes and at the lifts at new year regardless of the amount of snow.
latest report
I have noted that Schladming has opened for skiing in November for the last 6/7 seasons (may be longer but I just haven't noticed), yet the highest lift goes to only about 1900m
snow report
Bode Swiller, apples and pears.
snow report
pam w, ...stairs. Next.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
...and this is Les Arcs (note big rocks and small children)

Not sure where that photo is taken, but if that was a piste those big rocks would have been moved.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:

It's funny, I see those same lines of children stretched out in a line across the piste in the winter!
snow conditions
Not to mention the children..... wink
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
This is St Anton

and this is Les Arcs (note big rocks and small children)

Hello you're comparing 1300m with over 2000m, that isn't fair! In fact in France the treeline is much higher than in Austria! In serre Chevalier it is well over 2000m while in Austria in the eastern resorts it is at 1500-1600m. Having said that, much depends on the resort. Alpe D'huez has no trees at all at 1800m, I guess because they have been cut down in the past.

Which one is most snowsure in december, Austria or France? I think out of 3 winters Austria will have 2 better starts and France 1. Austria benefits more from northern winds than France and tends to get earlier snow due to this reason. But note that this is only a generalisation! For instance Sölden in Austria tends to have a bad start, because it is in inneralpine "dry zone". Sölden may have no snow at 1300 m while sankt Anton has 1 m. Similarly in France Flaine and Avoriaz will have more snow at the same altitude than the the inneralpine Tarentaise (3 Vallées, espace killy,...). La rosiere is the resort in the Tarentaise that gets the most snow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy