Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiing in January for dirt cheap?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone fancy getting away in January?

I know people are finding stuff tight at the moment but i came across a good deal which included free flights from Gatwick and the stay in the chalet which works out about £530?

Think it might be cheaper - I can go and check with the chalet if anyone is up for it?

the resort is La Tania...

: - )

pm me if you fancy getting a group together Razz
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am planning a group, but only for a short break over the weekend of the 15th of January. Looking at probably booking some cheapy flights out to an airport and then leave the accommodation until nearer the time. What was the deal you mentioned? and do they do anything for short (4 nighters) breaks?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen_sheba, PM sent. may be looking for a trip early January or March
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We are doing any day arrival short breaks next season in Les Coches if that's of any interest...http://www.mountainsunltd.com/guests/shortbreaks.htm . This is just a preliminary page until our new website is launched (soon) but it gives you an idea. We sensed there was a need for this sort of thing - I hope we're right! We'll see Confused
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also looking for a getaway in january or 3rd week week of march, struggling to find anything reasonable.

please PM the details! snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen_sheba, Could you also PM me the details too.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski Power ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you want to pay less for a chalet holiday in January it is best to wait until December or even early January a few days before departure before booking. There are usually plenty of beds available in La Tania - often whole chalets.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
it's not the chalet that's usually the expensive part mate. it's usually the flights if you leave them too late. i'd rather have them organised now (or for FREE as per this offer) i'm sure closer tto the time there will be other stuff going but it's the risk factor of not getting the free flight offer.

: - ) especially when you don't have the luxury of flying from london

ps smokin joe - wouldn't like to say as this forum is very unhappy over blatant advertising. lol. have been stung by this before.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
£530 doesn't particularly sound very cheap to me for January-don't be fooled by the free flight offer as these tend to be just already built into the price-i've just put a search in to the iglu site for jan and its come up with a chalet in courchevel for £429 including flights with similar deals to Les Gets,Val D'isere,Meribel and St. Anton all coming in cheaper than the £530 quoted.

queen_sheba, Are you making any money out of this offer as i see you have links to 2 websites that indicate that you might have a vested interest in this offer that you are making-if so then i think you should be upfront about it from the outset.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Atomic_Mick1970, People on this site might mix us up as we have similar user names!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen_sheba,

£530.00 is not what I'd call cheap for January.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnboy wrote:
queen_sheba,

True - £530 is getting me 11 nights in Banff end January Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would have a look at some independent chalets - if you can get the cheap flights booked now, the small companies usually offer some really good deals in Jan - I know we do! Blush
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dobz,

Nice one Very Happy
snow report
Atomic_Mick1970, victoriac, johnboy, Dobz, I undertand ( I know as I have asked) that these prices already include single supplements and are fully-catered. This to me anyway sounds a reasonable price for a nice chalet on a single basis person basis.
latest report
Linds, i wasn't aware that this was advertised as a solo skiers trip-if it does include single rooms in the price then it isn't quite so bad though still don't see it as 'dirt cheap' as suggested in the thread title.

I'll wager that before the end of November that there will be 2 for 1 offers for January that you could pay for both places and still come out cheaper than this offer-or as Joanne Mountainsun, said-that they have offers in Jan already up too-i just checked their website and you can get 7 nights in Tignes for £270 to £290 in early to mid jan-even allowing for the 50% single supplement you'd still have around £100 spare to play with to book the flights you wanted from where you wanted.

I've done ski trips over the years both as a solo traveller and as a couple and never paid more than £350 all in -it just niggles me that people claim to offer a not to be missed bargain(especially when it seems that they might be gaining something themselves from it) when there are lots of other options available for similar prices or cheaper right now even without taking into account the better deals that await if you wait a couple of months.

I just don't like to see people misled and/or ripped off.
snow conditions
Atomic_Mick1970 wrote:
I'll wager that before the end of November that there will be 2 for 1 offers for January that you could pay for both places and still come out cheaper than this offer-or as Joanne Mountainsun, said-that they have offers in Jan already up too-i just checked their website and you can get 7 nights in Tignes for £270 to £290 in early to mid jan-even allowing for the 50% single supplement you'd still have around £100 spare to play with to book the flights you wanted from where you wanted.

Don't forget to add on the £25 each way transfer......you've now got to get flight for £50!!
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, Sorry i didn't clock that bit (as we get free transfers included on the bootcamp deal) but thats still do-able-take for example the jan 4th offer- £269 for the accom+meals+free wine then add the 50% single supplement of £134.50+£50 transfer=£453.50 then add flight from Luton to Geneva of £55.98 gives you a total cost of £509.48. Thats still £20 cheaper than the alleged 'dirt cheap' deal offered or a whopping £155 cheaper if you can get someone to share with.

I'm not on any commission by the way wink i'm just quoting an example of somewhere i've been that i'd heartily reccommend and i know a fair few snowHead s have been to this place too-i'm sure there are lots of other good offers around with a little digging.
ski holidays
I think the point of this is that queen_sheba, is just trying to pull together some individuals who fancy joining up as a group to take a holiday, there are probably cheaper deals if you want to be a 'billynomates' on go on your own wink
latest report
Atomic_Mick1970, I'm not disagreeing that there are other options out there......I just presume that those who are showing interest (as there appear to be a few) would rather jump on board something that someone else is offering to do the legwork for, and there is likely to be a group going together.
latest report
And the point that I feel Atomic_Mick1970, is making is that (a) the price is not "dirt cheap" as advertised in the title (my chalet week in school holidays works out at £550 all in, so I would say that £530 for low season is actually expensive) and that (b) the OP is advertising something that she appears to do professionally. If she is doing this as if doing it for a group of mates, then fine, if however it is for commercial gain, then that would be against the ethos of the site.

We wait to hear from queen_sheba for clarification on that point.
snow conditions
Elizabeth B, thats fair enough-if people are happy to pay that price and a group of solo skiers joining up is more of a deciding factor then i can kind of understand-what i'm objecting to is the way the offer is being portrayed as being extremely cheap when it seems obvious to me and a few others on here that it clearly is not really the bargain of the century and the 'free flights' are just built into the overall price.

If she'd put something like 'i'm thinking of organising a group trip in jan that will cost around £530 that includes the flights and single supplements which i think is very reasonable' then that might of being a bit more accurate and a lot less misleading.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, Spot on
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, post titles are generally intended to be 'eye catching' and in this case seems to be a question anyway rather than a statement that the deal is dirt cheap? Laughing and the actual content of the post is not too misleading really ?

Atomic_Mick1970, she has not really said much different in the post from what you have suggested Confused , ............... (i came across a good deal which included free flights from Gatwick and the stay in the chalet which works out about £530? Think it might be cheaper - I can go and check with the chalet if anyone is up for it? )

although she does not mention if the price is for singles or includes for ski carraige etc.
ski holidays
Quote:

If ........ %%%.... is doing this as if doing it for a group of mates, then fine, if however it is for commercial gain, then that would be against the ethos of the site.

Really...????
snow report
Dobz wrote:
johnboy wrote:
queen_sheba,

True - £530 is getting me 11 nights in Banff end January Laughing

who with ? i could hardly get a flight for that to Canada? spill the beans please Very Happy
snow report
JT wrote:
Quote:

If ........ %%%.... is doing this as if doing it for a group of mates, then fine, if however it is for commercial gain, then that would be against the ethos of the site.

Really...????

hmmmm!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, thats like saying you've got a massive wanger then proceeding to say its 4-1/2" but great! NehNeh

Its also the inference of this great 'free flight' further down in a reply to someone else that narks me too-if she'd found a deal at around the 350-450 pounds mark which lots of independent chalets offer and they were offering a free flight based on that then i'd say fair play that is a good deal.

Maybe i'm getting the wrong end of the stick here and over reacting and as long as people go into it knowing all the facts and are happy paying that price (for all i know it might be a 5 star luxury chalet with fine dining and the chalet girls help you into and out of your ski clothes-if so where do i sign Laughing ) then all well and good but trying to advertise something for £530 is in my eyes never 'dirt cheap' even with a ? after it-but thats just my opinion based on never paying (nor really being able to afford to) more than £350 for a flights+meals included ski holiday.

I'm not going to say any more on this now until queen_sheba, comes back with her views on whats been said as we could go on about this forever in her absence
ski holidays
I agree with most of what you say through out the thread . . . . but a reply along the lines of 'it does not seem so cheap to me' perhaps would have surficed, maybe. Wink
ski holidays
On the face of things...does not sound dirt cheap to me.. Reasonable, yes..good value for a single skier, possibly..and a fair price if the persons concerned are willing to pay....
It may well be the bottom end of the going rate, but I'd not use the words 'dirt cheap' myself.
snow conditions
i remember a thread title that said 'free trip' but it was just to get the attention of people Laughing hint hint wink
ski holidays
It may well be a cheap price! The problem is that it sounds like "buying a pig in a poke" as they say over here. queen_sheba, post the details and peeps can get back to you! It could be a quality chalet in a quality resort!
ski holidays
Paid £240 for a week in a fully catered 4* chalet in January this year, including a 'free' flight and transfer. If I'd known that £530 was 'dirt cheap' I might not have bothered sharing rolling eyes

I think I'll stick to my normal agent again this season Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

"buying a pig in a poke" as they say over here.

they say it over here too. My Belgian friend caused amusement at our apartments' AGM last month by describing something as like buying "un chat dans un sac". The French people looked at him as though he was mad; apparently it's a Belgian expression. He was delighted to learn "pig in a poke" and continuing to baffle people.
latest report
£530 is more than my maximum.

"Dirt cheap", indeed!
snow report
Quote:

i remember a thread title that said 'free trip' but it was just to get the attention of people

IIRC it meant there were some free places on a trip wink
ski holidays
Swirly, Laughing maybe there is aomeone called Dirt Cheap on this site ? Very Happy
ski holidays
rayscoops, Laughing
ski holidays
Caspar, who's your normal agent? Best I've found so far for first week in Jan (09) in 3* CC is £365 inc f & t.

Incidentally, we did La Tania last Jan in a 3* CC for £370 inc f & t with Crystal. This Jan (09) same hol is £530!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy