Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hooked new boarder in need of kit advice please!

Poster: A snowHead
Not going to bother with crash pants, i have elbow and knee Dainese hard pads which are wicked, dont feel a thing through them (like my motorbike leathers), and i'd probably rather buy a spine protector before bum pads.

Already decided i'm getting a helmet, just havent found the right one yet snowHead I dont know what the hoards will say but i'm happy to protect my head Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
naryn, a helmet will make you look like a helmet Laughing

but whilst your learning its not funny when you smack your head so coolness lost the battle over seeing stars for me !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Admittedly my experience is limited but in L2A alot of the people wearing helmets were bombing it straight down the mountain, definately not beginners. Besides, im going to get a hlemet cam and what use is that without a helmet lol
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Once you start wearing one, you tend to get used to it and not wearing it seems odd.
All of our group (10) bar 2 wear one. I am a lot faster on my board now and do park jumps & kickers more whilst wearing it. False sense of security maybe but I have improved so thats all I care about.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
naryn wrote:
Admittedly my experience is limited but in L2A alot of the people wearing helmets were bombing it straight down the mountain, definately not beginners. Besides, im going to get a hlemet cam and what use is that without a helmet lol

my helmet cam mounts on the goggle strap
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nigel b wrote:
my helmet cam mounts on the goggle strap

yeah yeah i know, what cam and pvr have you got?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
archos 605 and archos helmet cam(sony ccd lens)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cool, im thinking of getting the Archos 5 which just came out and the helmet cam to go with, heard that the archos cam wasnt too good though, any thoughts? Can always get the mini dock and a 3rd party cam.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So i went to MK today and took out a 160 instead of the usual 155. I didnt think as a noob that the difference would be so obvious! It was so much harder to turn the board, my boarding took a step back for a while. I got to grips with the board but still wasnt enjoying it as much as i was the 155 which has made me think maybe i will go for a 158ish board in the end.

Headed to BBC afterwards for the first time, just to check the place out. Guy was really helpful and it wasnt till i asked when they closed that he said 20 minutes ago! Hadnt planned on buying anything but i came away with a pair of K2 raider boa boots, seemed to fit me well, K2 are noisy boots though, lots of squeeking! Will spend a couple of hours in them at home to make sure, good choice? He said i dont really need to heat mould them if they fit well anyway, should i get it done still?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It was explained to me that 5 minutes or so of heat moulding was the equivalent of 2 or 3 days of snowboarding in getting the boot shaped to the foot, and that the boot needs to be a bit tight (rather than fit well) prior to moulding.

Bigger board are designed to turn in a longer arc than smaller boards and you need to let them turn in their own time, I suspect that you were naturally trying to turn the 160 in the same way you turned the 155, you may also find it easier to learn to ride the 160 on a big mountain rather than on in a little cold shed. Also it take time to get used to some boards (even for experienced boarders) but once mastered thay will be fantastic.

A 159 sounds a good idea, I found that size was good to learn and anything bigger was difficult to turn and I generally hired a board that size, but after a little while I bought a 163 and 'learned' to 'ride' it rather than skid it around.

It is all about progression and if I had a 155 now I would probable end up spinning in circles, which is why I would fancy getting one

a listing of stock clearance boards and boots at www.bargainboards.co.uk - or so the email said anyway
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Im after an all mountain board. The guy in BBC was recommending Rome Solution, K2 Podium and a Ride, Antic i think. They all seem like good bets?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can vouch for the Rome Solution, its a very good board, no mates got either of the other 2 though so can't comment on them.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
naryn, I started on a 166cm because of my height (6' 3") and weight (13.5st) but it was a biatch to turn in the indoor domes. On the piste though it's great, especially when you have powder, so once you start getting some miles under your belt you'll be clamouring for your second, longer board!! Smile I ride a 157 now, which soooo much easier when you're trying to avoid peeps at MK
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
naryn wrote:
.......The guy in BBC was recommending Rome Solution,.........

i'm with him all the way. i've got a 163, but then i'm 6'0" an 15 1/2 stone, so it's gotta be a bit bigger to float me off piste. i don't have access to a dome either, otherwise i might have gone a bit shorter too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hey naryn i was in the same position as you a couple of years back i took the plunge and bought Rome Anthem 161...Awsome, Burton P1 bindings and Burton Ruler boots, all good kit no complaints especailly the board!!!!!!
ski holidays
Hey naryn i was in the same position as you a couple of years back i took the plunge and bought Rome Anthem 161...Awsome, Burton P1 bindings and Burton Ruler boots, all good kit no complaints especailly the board!!!!!!
snow report
The website says the Anthem is a directional standard, presumably that means not turned up at the back so you cant ride it switch?
latest report
naryn, no, it means it has a directional sidecut and core rather than being a symmetrical true twin. Those things you see with a flat end are alpine boards.
snow conditions
Lizzard, ok then i have to ask, whats the difference between a directional standard and a directional twin?
ski holidays
naryn, a what and a which? Laughing

A directional board is one with a front end and a back one, courtesy of the way the core is constructed and how the sidecut is. A twin is the same at both ends. Hence I could in theory ride Mr L's Darkstar without switching the bindings round (apart from it being too long for me and his bindings too big, obviously).
ski holidays
naryn, the front end of a directional board is slightly longer than the back end of the board, which provides for a slightly different shape, but it will have two tips and most boards you have seen will be this kind and can be easily ridden switch

I do not think a 'directional twin' exists - it is either a directional board (and all conventional snowboards and every one you have been on has two tips, so to speak) or a twin tip which is just a board that symmetrical rather than haveing a slighly longer front end
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
naryn, I do not think a 'directional twin' exists

I realise it is a contradiction but that doesnt stop them using the term on their website!
ski holidays
naryn wrote:
rayscoops wrote:
naryn, I do not think a 'directional twin' exists

I realise it is a contradiction but that doesnt stop them using the term on their website!

Isn't a directional twin where the board is actually a true twin shape, but the binding mounts are set back an inch or so to give it the directional bit?
latest report
ronaldothefrog, but surely you can always set the bindings back a bit anyway due the the three or so hole settings? seems strange to me but I have never been on one Laughing
snow report
This is all getting rather confusing!!!

Who killed who, where and with what!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
colonel mustard in the sauna with the jagermeister! Laughing
latest report
A directional twin will normally be blue, a true twin will normally be what's strapped to my feet.

I'm actually with ray on this one, directional twin is a nonsense, it's a twin or it's directional, how can it be both? (yes I know it can be with the binding holes but then switch powder is hard work if you set back the bindings for normal riding)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy