Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Planning a Skiing Break - Suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I have potentially foolishly agreed to plan a short skiing break for me and my friends in early 2009. It will hopefully be about 5 - 6 guys, looking for about 3 / 4 days skiing. I know there are a number of companies offering such breaks but would welcome any suggestions from fellow Snowheads as to whether it can be doen better / cheaper myself, also any suggestions for resorts would be greatly welcomed.

Look forward to any responses.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
reded78, there are masses of possibilities. If you want to keep costs down, I'd go for renting an apartment for you all, during the low season part of January - around middle of the month. You will pay for Sat/Sat but the cost of the unused nights, between you, will be very little. Travel Mon - Fri. Or Sun - Thursday. Or whatever. You then have max flexibility to eat out, or cater for yourselves. Rent a car from the airport, and stock up with cheap supermarket booze and food basics on the way up to the resort. If you go for a "short break company" it'll cost you heaps more.

You could book flights now, then wait to choose a resort and rent an apartment. There'll be plenty available mid-Jan, no need to choose now. You can make a choice later with a better idea of snow conditions.

5 guys better than 6, from the car rental point of view.... will you be bringing your own equipment?

To suggest resorts we need to know more about what kind of skiing and apres you like!

With a few more details you'll find suggestions will flow thick and fast (not to mention contradictory.....)

If you want to arrange your break around a weekend (Thurs/Tuesday) it'll be considerably more expensive.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The guys will be good begineers to low intermediates and possibly one decent snow boarder, as far as Apres Ski we would want a few bars at elast, but certainly no need for night clubs.

The idea of booking flights but then leaving the accommodation is a great idea. I take it any of the major airports would be suitable Geneva, Grenoble etc. Any suggestions which airport would have the most options?

I have had a look at some of the organised trips but they certainly seem to charge a premium.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also the above is dependant on whether or not I can talk my wife into going skiing for New Year, she is a little hesitant as we went this March and our 4 year old wasn't that keen. I keep trying to tell her that she will be much better a year on. Any suggestions for what would be a suitable family friendly resort for New Year?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
reded78, If you can get cheap flights to Salzburg that would be a good starting point, then you've got lots of options in the Ski Amade area of Austria, Schladming might well suit you, or somewhere like Obertauern. Both get lots of mentions on threads here. Both Easyjet and Ryanair go to Salzburg though may need to book flights soonish to get decent prices.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
reded78, if you have a 4/5 year old, so that missing school is not a big deal, would strongly recommend travelling a bit later. New Year is crowded, days are short, it might be quite cold, snow is a lottery. If you travelled in, for example, mid March you'd have a much better chance of good snow and the days would be longer and warmer.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As to airports, I would personally recommend Geneva, but that's just because it's closest to the areas I know best. I'm sure there are some great places within easy reach of Salzburg too - though it's not quite so easy to find self catering accommodation in Austria. Any resort is going to provide you with a few bars; the world's your oyster. Will you be looking for tuition?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes on the tuition, any suggestions.

Having spoken to my wife further today, it looks like this lads weekend is much more likely as she thinks we should wait another year for our next family trip, we also have a nearly 2 year old. I suppose it's possible to fit in as much skiing in 3 / 4 days with other like minded folks, as it is in 6 days with the family.~

Talking about it is getting me excited already, just want to book something now, well at least the flights.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
reded78, I have done 3/4 day lads trips for the last 3 years. We found Austria is generally cheaper than France and also has a different vibe. However the best skiing and setting we had was this year in Avoriaz. We flew to Geneva with EasyJet (£60pp), used Ski-lifts (£50pp) for our transfer, stayed self catering in the Balcons du Soleil (£60pp) having booked the accomm with Erna Low. Avoriaz has all you would need for a short break, especially as it is true ski-in ski-out which is a real bonus for a short break.

Avoriaz, Jan 2008

Other trips were to St Johann (lovely little resort if the snow is good) and Saalbach, large resort but we didn't have the best conditions.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski-finder, Blimey those seem like very good prices, are they par for the course or do you think you got a particularly good deal? Although is £50pp for the trasnfer worth ti, to take away the hastle of hiring a car?

Where you planning for this year? Got any decent snow predictions to pass on?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
reded78, not all apartment owners inssit you book Sat-Sat, some offer Sunday to Sunday, and some are flexible offering short stays. Try www.eurekaski.com/accommodation.htm for some suggestions in Serre Chevalier. I can't offer my own apartment as it isn't large enough for your group. It is close to both Turin or Grenoble airports (although Turin is the best option). Tuition can also be arranged with Eurekaski.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
reded78, we've paid pretty much those same prices each year. I've looked up how it broke down last season:

Flights = £229 / 5 (so actually £45pp) booked in August 07

Transfer = £266 for a private return transfer (Geneva>Avoriaz) for up to 8 (there were 6 of us going, 5 coming back)
Pros: Hassle free (text on arrival to say where they were waiting, text day before departure to specify pickup time dependent upon conditions)
Cons: A bit more expensive than hiring i guess, but have never tried

Accomm = £450 / 6 (so actually £80pp) booked in August 07
Pros: Self catering, slept 6-8 so a little more space, choose if you want to eat in or out
Cons: Couldn't check in til 5pm! (stashed our stuff at a befriended bar Smile and hit the slopes!)

It does take some organising to go DIY but i wouldn't have it any other way...

p.s. the prices are good, but don't be fooled into thinking it's a cheap option... ski pass was about £100 for 4 days, plus a large beer was over €6/7

// EDIT

As for this year... my 2nd child is due in 3 weeks so a 08/09 trip will be cheeky... but hey it's only a few days isn't it! Wink

I fancy Kitz (if conditions are good) or possibly Ischgl? All dependent on timings, conditions and flights this time round!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

my 2nd child is due in 3 weeks so a 08/09 trip will be cheeky.

as a mother of 3 and grandmother of 2-soon to be - 3 I think having trips away is a very good idea. But only it it works both ways. Maybe you could look after the kids for your wife to go on a trip too - skiing, or the beach, or a spa, whatever she'd enjoy. But for your wife to have confidence that she can leave them with you, you need to get into practice soonest. wink The only time that won't work is when babies are breastfed, and that's usually only for the first 4 - 6 months.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, i'd have no problems looking after them for a short break... although my wife seems far less keen to have time away. My ski trip is my only real "escape" through the year and I find it fantastic to truly appreciate what i have got. Can't wait to take my little ones skiing, I like my most skiing parents just hope they feel the same! Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh my wife going away was part of the deal from day 1, although surprisingly she has decided to take our 4 year old to Disneyland Paris!
latest report
reded78, i loved our trip to Disneyland Paris (we took our niece and nephew) another trip i'm looking forward to with my two!
snow conditions
Quote:

My ski trip is my only real "escape" through the year and I find it fantastic to truly appreciate what i have got

ski-finder, like you, I think it is a real treat to get away with the girls. I miss the family, but it's great to ski without trying to keep tabs on them all the time and to be able leave my 'mum' hat at home. I think they realise that it benefits us all because I have such a good time. And if I want a few drinks, so what!!

reded78 Over the last three seasons I have organised weekends for 5 or 6 girls of varying abilities for 3/4 nights B&B in a reasonably cheap hotel in Portes du Soleil. It's still sounds a lot for a weekend but when you think that you get three or four full days skiing I think it's worth it. I book flights and accommodation early and I know the hotel well enough to ask for a little discount. We use SkiTransfers at about £50 each. If you want more info on what we have paid, let me know and will look it up for you. snowHead
snow report
Quote:

i'd have no problems looking after them for a short break... although my wife seems far less keen to have time away.

Mums can get to think they're indispensable - and also if she feels she has to stock up the fridge and freezer before she goes away, and catch up with all the housework and washing you haven't done when she's away she might just feel it's not worth it. Luckily, lots of Dads can cope with the kids for a few days - but not so many of them can cope with all the other stuff!

Still, it's worth trying to persuade parents to have a break away on their own. Just a few days makes all the difference.

For skiers, I've said it before but will say it again, grandparents are the answer. Preferably competent skiers who can look after the kids on the nursery slopes before or after their lessons. French resorts are full of them - and all concerned seem to have a good time.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
catch up with all the housework and washing

Oh that's okay, we have fairies that do all that while i'm at work Wink
snow report
our yearly lads 5 day/4 night trip to Andorra cost £55 return flights,£30 per night HB, £25 per day lift pass plus beer money plus car hire if £90(divided by 4)
latest report
reded78,

Our new short breaks operation in Les Coches might be good for you...any day arrival short breaks with cheap transfers... http://www.mountainsunltd.com/guests/shortbreaks.htm
snow conditions
ski-finder wrote:
reded78, I have done 3/4 day lads trips for the last 3 years. We found Austria is generally cheaper than France and also has a different vibe. However the best skiing and setting we had was this year in Avoriaz. We flew to Geneva with EasyJet (£60pp), used Ski-lifts (£50pp) for our transfer, stayed self catering in the Balcons du Soleil (£60pp) having booked the accomm with Erna Low. Avoriaz has all you would need for a short break, especially as it is true ski-in ski-out which is a real bonus for a short break.

Did a couple of these types of trips last year - great fun but personally I would hire cars as it's gives you more flexibility... for example we stayed with snowandtrek at one of their excellent appartments in morzine, but then drove every morning to the super morzine bubble to get up the hill.. Plus you have somewhere to stash kit on the first / last day which is a bonus. Focus on resorts with short transfer times and a decent amount of self-catering. We did Morzine and Kitzbuhl, both of which 'ticked all the boxes'
snow report
bertie bassett, definately would have been handy having a car on both the first and last days. Although i'm not sure anyone in my group would have volunteered to do the driving... especially on the way home. We hit the slopes and the bars pretty hard in our 3 nights Smile
snow report
bertie bassett, ski-finder, thanks guys.

How long does it take to get up from Morzine to Avoriaz? I don't suppose mega queues etc should be a major problem in mid January. I take it you guys would recommend Morzine over Avoriaz?

I have just actually booked the flights for the 1st 4 of us to Geneva for Thursday 15th for 4 days, so we will deffinately now be going.

When you hired the cars I take it you get a full ski rack then? And driving in snow etc wasn't too much of a problem?

Any further advice / recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
snow report
ski-finder, what was the accommdation like at Balcons du Soleil? We have been offered a one bedroom apartment (not studio) for 4 for about £110 each. Are the apartments big enough for 4 guys? and worth that amount?
ski holidays
reded78, can't advise on those apartments - it'll mean two of you sleeping in the living room, obviously, but if you're OK with that, OK.

As far as driving is concerned, it wouldn't be a problem driving to the lift which takes you up to Avoriaz (can't remember the name, and I drove it from Les Gets, so can't tell you the exact time - somebody else will, though). If you hire a car, from the SWISS side of Geneva (very important) you should get snowtyres (though might charge you extra, even though there's no choice) and you should also check you have chains. You won't get a ski rack as standard - book as an extra, they're usually those magnetic jobs that clip on the roof. If there are 4 big lads and gear, don't go for a weeny car.

It's not a big climb up to Morzine. If it's snowy you might need to fit the chains, though. You'll know by the time you go, in which case you should practice doing it asap and before you actually hit the snow. It's not a big problem, you'll sort it out, and if you need to fit chains because of snow you'll be in for a good time. It's an adventure. snowHead snowHead Having the car will give you a lot of flexibility.
snow report
Thanks pam w, so don't hire a car from the French side? Another website they recommended the French side, but then I also heard that it was a nightmare to find.

Looking forward to it now, and may thanks for your earlier recommendation for booking the flights and leaving the accommodation till nearer the time. The flights from Luton to GVA fitted in very nicely, especially the return flight at 20.25 which should mean we can get a near full days skiing on the last day.

So what would your resort reccommendation be for a sensible drive from GVA?
ski holidays
reded78, like I said I stayed in Avoriaz so didn't really take much notice of the ride up from Morzine to Avoriaz itself. As for the accommodation, the Balcons du Soleil is at the top end of the resort (next to the car park) and you can see it sitting on top of the huge cliff face towering above morzine. We stayed in an apartment for 7/8... there was only five of us in the end (6 paid, but one couldn't come) and I certainly wouldn't have wanted there to have been any more of us. It was fine, but at full capacity it would be rather cosy. You can view inside the apartments on the Pierre & Vacances website here (click virtual visit > select Balcons du Soleil (left menu) > Come in > select your accomm type).

Here is the view of the Balcons du Soleil, and the view from our balcony:

As for the price, we paid £450 for an apartment sleeping 7/8 (2 bed+cabin) for 3 nights last year if that helps.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
reded78, it's not a nightmare to find if you have the directions (available on Snowheads!) but it's certainly easier to use the Swiss side, and you get snowtyres. Unless there's a huge difference in price it's not worth hiring on the French side. Your flights will go in and out of the Swiss (international) side and the road connections are easier, even into France.

There are a number of resorts which would do - Flaine is one of the most obvious, with a good range of skiing, and near Geneva. You want to minimise time on the road. There are probably Swiss options too, but I don't know about them.

You might find an apartment for 4 is better for 2 - they can be very small. It's OK once everybody is lying down in bed, but finding somewhere to stash all your stuff can be a pain, especially if it's wet. If your mates are all used to living on a small boat, or in a caravan, you'll be fine! A 2 bed apartment would be nicer.

If your flight is at 2025 leaving Flaine at 5 should leave you ample time (unless it's super snowy) so yes, a whole day of skiing. You might like to consider renting the apartment for the night you leave, so you can go back there to change/shower. Otherwise you're likely to have to vacate at something like 10 am.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy