Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Not too bad in Serre Che?

Poster: A snowHead
Great news Mel, don't tell anyone about the new snow, ok?
Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mel,glad the snows falling
snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Keep posting as I have taken a chalet for 16 in Chantemerle begining April and will be in trouble if snow poor!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skilegs, you'll be fine. We've been in early April a couple of times and it's been good.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi skilegs, will keep you in the know. Also check out our web site snow news at www.eurekaski.com/news.htm I try and keep that up to date although I could do with a new snow cam shot ... better get the camera out!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Excellent site - hope to see you in April - it just has to snow!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any thoughts on Serre Che snow for week of March 21st based on current skiing? Replacing someone on a planned trip but can still swap out and go to Utah in US instead (where I know the snow is good). 8 to 20 inch base listed on some websites for SerreChe area has me questioning. Thanks!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
julskis, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead
I love the skiing in Serre Che and will be going there at Easter, but I must admit based on current reports if I had not already booked I would probably choose elsewhere. There will probably be some skiing available but unless there is another real 'dump' the available skiing is likely to be limited in both extent and quality.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Julskis, Serre Che is a great resort, but if I were you I would leave it for another year. It has been very warm here and we are not forecast to have anything other than sun for the next 10 days. It will be skiable I'm sure, but not great. Hope this helps your decision and make sure that you come out here some another year.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the input. Will definately visit sometime, even if not next week, looks wonderful from photos.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's been baking here and the south-facing pistes are really under pressure; some even closing now. I hear that the link between Monetier and Villeneuve may close this weekend. The terrain in Villeneuve is struggling but Monetier and Chantemerle are both offering good skiing despite the warm temps with such a thin base. It may yet snow, you never know, but temps are due to get even higher over the weekend. Not the best news but for those of you who are coming skiing, there is still lots of Spring skiing to be had here due to the sheer size of the area, and you get a free day in a neighbouring resort with your lift pass. Will keep you in the know... Mel
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So let me get this straight... this year I have truly surpassed myself and managed to not only pick the wrong part of the alps & the wrong resort... I've also managed, by choosing Villeneuve, to choose the wrong bloody part of the resort too!? Sheesh... Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carled, some you win, some you lose. I've been to Serre Che already this year, and then off to Whistler next week. At least we got the best snow of the season in Serre Che, as they'd had 30cm the day we arrived. And it's been snowing in Whistler too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carled, Definately wrong resort this year I'm afraid and I'm going the week after Sad But I wouldn't worry to much about being in the wrong bit it is dead easy to get from Villeneuve to Chantemerle on the lifts. The link between Monetier and Villeneuve closing is probably on the way back. I guess it may still snow there is often good late season snow so heres hoping rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The lifts in Chantemerle have been opening early (8.30) some mornings and the skiing is excellent untill 11.30. Then it begins to get slushy, so I recommend ski wax of 10-15 degr when waxing.
Skilegs, where's the Chalet? There is a beautifull one just been built 100m from my place in 'Le Clarenes' so we may be neighbours.
Don't worry just yet as all the pistes with snow cannons have plenty of snow and there is a rumour of more snow coming this way next week.
snow report
Hi Chris - just picked up your message in the wilderness of British Columbia where I am heliskiing and the snow is not that brilliant here either! Am staying at Les Marmottes with Hannibals. I spent 3 winters in Serre-Che as the Ski Club rep in the 90s. Keep me posted on ski conditions as we are a big group and I know I'll get the blame!! It usually snow at the beginning of April and I am always optimistic.
ski holidays
Skilegs, looking good here on tuesday (16cm expected). Then 5 more days of snow up the mountain although rain on the valley floor.
snow conditions
skilegs, good choice with Les Marmottes - if you've not been before, you're in for a culinary treat. Karin Lucas produces superb food and Denis (apart from an ESF instructor) is a wine merchant, so the wine is generally excellent. The place is very comfortable and well furnished. If you remember, do pass on my greetings to Karin and Denis. Thanks.

Hi chris, how're you and Lin?
ski holidays
I have just returned from a 2 week sojourn in Serre che. 2 weeks of unrelenting sunshine. The Briancon area is really suffering from the heat, and lack of snow. The rocher blanc chair was closed, the croix de la nore teleski had almost no snow on it on wednesday P.M. grande gargouille and remparts were rapidly losing snow and becoming patchy.
The Chantmerle area was mostly open and skiing well. The Luc Alphand piste was skiable all the way down to the village. The rocher de l'enfer link to Villeneuve was non existent but you could access the villeneuve area from the gentianes blue run.
Also closed were the Isolee and the tabuc, most of the Monetier area was open with good snow cover. The cuccumelle had become very thin in places and the steep section which is usually mogulled just before the turn off to the Pi Mai was only half covered with steep sided rocky moguls (they were running a chenillette up the other side to bring down skiers who found it too daunting), and on tuesday and wednesday the piste was diverted past the PI Mai due to lack of snow on the normal piste.
In spite of this we still managed to have a great 2 weeks skiing, just don't use your own skis. Here's hoping they have the usual late snowfalls .
ski holidays
Just to add a note to pistemeister's comprehensive report....the link to Monetier is only open one way, you can ski there but can't ski back. It's got the best snow conditions and is attracting large numbers of skiers which means that there is absolute chaos at the navette stop! There was even fighting in the queue last Friday evening!! You need to be very brave to get on a bus....one of our group got so fed up having failed to get on three navettes in a row that he just walked back!! Good luck to anyone out there the forecast is for 18 degrees at 2000m and sun sun sun!
snow report
If all else fails, the indoor, spa-fed swimming pool in Monetier is good. Cool
snow report
About time for an update. Well, what changeable weather we have. Snow overnight, snow this morning then rain this pm. Been skiing Monetier most of the day and piste Aya is providing the best skiing, right down to the village (L'Eychauda and Cibouit were good first thing this morning). The nursery slopes at the bottom are sticking it out but don't look too pretty. Finger's crossed this rain will turn to snow overnight. The Aya will provide good skiing for a good week or two now - took a pic on Piste Aya just before lunch which you can all see at www.eurekaski.com/news.htm
snow report
Mark H, please pm for we have lost your e-mail adress. Cheers, Chris.
ski holidays
??? 10cms at resort (ok, Briancon......) but only 35cms at altitude (2800m), 67 out of 104 slopes closed (eg only 2 out of 14 blacks and 13 out of 43 reds open....)

I would have thought the Serre Che could be described as struggling a little? And those are the official figures and snow depths as well.
snow conditions
Definitely struggling when compared to previous seasons but there's still ample terrain across Serre Chevalier to ski on - lots of people are booked to come on holiday next week and I am not in the business of disheartening people!
ski holidays
Mel@EurekaSKI, ah but this is snowHeads, we're all honest and open here, even if it's to our own detriment!
snow report
You missed my point but never mind. No dishonesty here and I'll leave it at that. Come and have a ski. Mel
latest report
Mel - am arriving with 16 friends and family on 2 April staying in Chantemerle - can you give me an honest opinion of conditions please.
Will have 8 children under 10 - what are the nursery slopes like??? Any advice enormously appreciated.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello all... just back from my week... what did I tell you about snow falling as I left a resort? I could see the snow level had dropped further down when we left the resort in rain this morning, but didn't realise that a foot or so had fallen! We had about 5cm of damp snow down to about 2,300m on Thurs morning (I think!) and a couple of cm of dry powder on Friday morning, but apart from that, we watched the snow run off the mountains in some of the hottest weather I've ever experienced in a resort.

Will write up more in a report later - only just got back, but have to say sorry I missed you Mel! I made it to Monetier twice... once on Tuesday afternoon when, just as I arrived in resort on the bus at about 1pm, I got a text message from the rest of the group back in Villeneuve that one of our beginner boarders had fallen and broken her wrist - so I had to go straight back and once again on Thursday afternoon when we got thoroughly soaked in the late afternoon run (did all the runs at the top in heavy cloud and enjoyed the Aya back down!). Had a look in through L'Alpen window on way past but saw no blue jackets and remembered that you'd said you were there Sun-Wed only...

I can't sugar coat it for people going over though... apart from that fall of snow (down to about 1900-2000m) last night, there's almost nothing lower down apart from the artificial remains. The snow up top won't be enough to re-open most of the shut runs (and there are lots of them, I'm afraid) and the temps appear to be too high to use the cannons lower down... I really hope the temps drop for you otherwise it'll get seriously grim, I'm afraid... If you get out early and catch the snow before the crowds cut it to mush, then it's great - particularly the Casse de Bouef (well the bottom section that's open, anyway). You can almost give up after lunchtime though. I've never seen such a brown resort and I've had some brown resorts before! Crossed fingers for lower temps for you all...

Having said that - we found that the best snow by far in the area was the Prorel area. Much quieter than other bits too.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 27-03-05 17:51; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
I'm sure Mel was being perfectly honest! As stated, it is a big domain. It's just because of the shrinking cover in the resort (down another 5cms to 35cms at altitude, 15 cms at Briancon, 67 of 104 pistes currently closed), it makes sense to advise anyone with a choice to consider going elsewhere.

Resort info lists:

14 of 19 greens open
8 of 28 blues open
13 of 43 reds open
2 of 14 blacks open
ski holidays
6-9 inches fell at the Grand Alpe on Saturday night and I went up at 11.30am to find the fresh snow in poor condition 'cause it hadn't been bashed and the runs were busy. Plenty of snow on the nursery slopes. Fewer people around as from Wedensday so the pistes will be in better condition and more snow is forecast all week.
snow conditions
chris, Hope it happens for the sake of the people going over. The frustrating thing I found was that the snow was falling higher up, but due to the paucity of the conditions, we couldn't get higher up to make use of the snow! I think the highest we managed to get all week was either the top of the Prorel lift or maybe the L'Eychauda in Monetier. Many, if not almost all, of the runs around that level were shut due to no snow at all and it got worse through the week. What litle did fall seemed to be susceptible to melt by the afternoon. Hopefully the greater depth that has fallen now will improve things a bit, although looking at the webcams just now, what fell on Saturday night is fast melting too...

The snow that falls higher up is rain lower down and that is washing away even the artificial snow they have! Talk about a double-edged sword! The temperature needs to drop so that snow can fall down to village level, then there's some hope for what remains of the season.
ski holidays
Leaving for Chantemerle on Saturday for a week - any chance of getting to Pi Mai for lunch. Any info on snow conditions enormously appreciated - are lift passes reduced - can't see this on the Serre-Che website? Is there a golf course open nearby??
ski holidays
Since last Sunday another 8 runs closed (75 closed of 104)

Resort info lists:

11 of 19 greens open
8 of 28 blues open
8 of 43 reds open
2 of 14 blacks open
snow report
Nearest golf course at Montgenevre is under snow but Gap (45 miles) should be open. It is snowing at the top of the mountain at the moment.
snow conditions
skilegs, I skied past the Pi Mai on 16th of march, there was no choice, the normal return run off the cuccumelle was closed at that point due to lack of snow. The going was quite deep but heavy just outside the Pi Mai. There did not appear to be enough snow to ski down off piste through the trees above the Pi Mai either, so unless they have more snow you may be in for a spot of walking/ ski touring to get there.
They were allowing holders of the Briancon area pass to ski in the Chantmerle area due to lack of snow, so I assume they will make the same allowances further up the valley if things don't improve.
snow report
Skilegs, its been snowing in Charntemerle all afternoon and fresh snow has covered the mountain and more expected friday.
ski holidays
Chris- thanks enormously - may it continue until after we arrive.
ski holidays
Forecasts are all over the place at the moment - hardly worth following them. One minute there's going to be a cold snap, then there's not then it's on again...... and now it's not. That's to say, this morning's forecast has upped the freeze level once again to around 1500/1700m for the early part of next week. But by tonight it could all have changed again!

I'd settle for 1500/1700m - that's ok for this time of year. It's just all the damage that has been done previously that has shortened the season for many resorts - there's hardy anything left at resort level, and the 10/15 cms that fell at altitude has been pretty wet around 2000m, not surviving long in the sun. At least Serre Che has increased its depths at altitude to around 50cms, 15cms up on the 35cm figure of a few days back.
snow report
Just back from a week staying at Chalet Les Marmottes in Chantemerle which I can highly recommend to anyone looking for a really comfortable, central, family run home from home atmosphere, not to mention the excellent food and wine. Karin and Denis Lucas have done a fantastic job renovating the chalet and their attention to detail to ensure our group of 16 adults and children had a memorable holiday was enormously appreciated.
Our group consisted of complete beginners to experts and we all managed to ski every day thanks to the efforts of the pisteurs making this possible. The best snow was at Le Monetier, classic late spring conditions and we were lucky to have 15 cms of new snow last Thursday/Friday which was an unexpected bonus.
A day with a guide in La Grave was also an adventure. Low temperatures are forecast for this week.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy