Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lib Tech Skate Banana

Poster: A snowHead
snowhugger wrote:

Anyway i thought all the kids hid there bindings with their pants?
look at these kids in their tight pants that was a skier thing when i started to ride now the skiers are going baggy and the snowboarders are going tight?

Yep its all about the skinnies tucked in this season !
This (possible future fashion faux pas) could be the answer to my long trousers draggin on the floor night mare Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
snowhugger wrote:

Anyway i thought all the kids hid there bindings with their pants?
look at these kids in their tight pants that was a skier thing when i started to ride now the skiers are going baggy and the snowboarders are going tight?

Yep its all about the skinnies tucked in this season !
This (possible future fashion faux pas) could be the answer to my long trousers draggin on the floor night mare Laughing

I think i'll stick to baggy it's served me well for 15 years. plus i think my balls are too big i might bruise them!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowhugger, too much information Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
At the end of the day:

Burton have made some new and innovative products
K2 have made some new and innovative products
Ride have made some new and innovative products
Lib Tech have made some new and innovative products

For that matter, so have: Forum, O-Matic, Prior, StepChild, Salomon, Apo, Never Summer, Palmer and Capita to name a few others

Each brand has products in their range which are arguably better than some of those in the other brand's ranges

Some brands are rider owned, this does not make them better or worse than large corporations
Some brands are owned by large corporations, this does not make them better or worse than rider owned brands

There is enough choice out there in the market place for people to buy a good board that is hand made by people who ride every day. Equally you can buy a good board which is mass manufactured in a factory in China if you prefer. You may get more of an inner glow from buying the board from the rider owned company, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to ride any better.

snowhugger FYI, K2 actually started in the 60's as a rider-owned ski company. Nowadays both K2 and Ride are actually owned by Jardin Corp who also own Shakespeare fishing rods in addition to the following brands: Ball®, Bee®, Bicycle®, Crawford®, Diamond®, Dicon®, First Alert®, Forster®, Hoyle®, Java Log®, Kerr®, Lehigh®, Leslie-Locke®, Loew-Cornell® and Pine Mountain®; Consumer Solutions: Bionaire®, Crock-Pot®, FoodSaver®, Harmony®, Health o meter®, Holmes®, Mr. Coffee®, Oster®, Patton®, Rival®, Seal-a-Meal®, Sunbeam®, VillaWare® and White Mountain®; and Outdoor Solutions: Abu Garcia®, Berkley®, Campingaz®, Coleman®, Fenwick®, Gulp!®, JT®, K2®, Marker®, Marmot®, Mitchell®, Penn®, Rawlings®, Sevylor®, Stearns®, Stren®, Trilene® and Volkl®. (copied from the Jardin website - couldn't be arsed to get rid of all the ®'s Very Happy )

I ride a K2 Titan because its a good board that does everything I want it to do, fits my size 12 feet and I got it for a good price. For me, where it was made and who owns the company who make it was secondary to all that. I'm thinking of buying a Jib board - if the price is right and I can actually get hold of one in this country I might get a Capita Stairmaster as they seem like a good, rider owned brand. But if I can't get one of those I'll probably get a Ride Dose from the faceless corporation and it really won't bother me that much Very Happy

For what it's worth, I think the Skate Banana looks cool and if I can get a wide one, I might consider getting one of them.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 24-09-08 19:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^^^ wot he said^^^

One of my friend works for a Decathlon (not on snowboards), a big corporation by many standards, which I imagine manufactures most of their stuff in China.

I see their way of working and you can't take away the fact they really promote sport as a way of living (2hrs lunch breaks for sports activities with amazing facilities on site being one example), they ask several times a month that all employees test a range of products, and they hire "passionate" people.
They are really pushing hard on innovation as well as trying to make is cheap so that it is more affordable to most of us, but also improve their margins obviously..

So big corporation does not necessarily equal crap stuff....

Without discussing the quality of their products, despite being rider(s) owned, I'd have Burton more on the big corporation side than the small all handmade company side...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ronaldothefrog wrote:
At the end of the day:

Burton have made some new and innovative products
K2 have made some new and innovative products
Ride have made some new and innovative products
Lib Tech have made some new and innovative products

For that matter, so have: Forum, O-Matic, Prior, StepChild, Salomon, Apo, Never Summer, Palmer and Capita to name a few others

Each brand has products in their range which are arguably better than some of those in the other brand's ranges

Some brands are rider owned, this does not make them better or worse than large corporations
Some brands are owned by large corporations, this does not make them better or worse than rider owned brands

There is enough choice out there in the market place for people to buy a good board that is hand made by people who ride every day. Equally you can buy a good board which is mass manufactured in a factory in China if you prefer. You may get more of an inner glow from buying the board from the rider owned company, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to ride any better.

snowhugger FYI, K2 actually started in the 60's as a rider-owned ski company. Nowadays both K2 and Ride are actually owned by Jardin Corp who also own Shakespeare fishing rods in addition to the following brands: Ball®, Bee®, Bicycle®, Crawford®, Diamond®, Dicon®, First Alert®, Forster®, Hoyle®, Java Log®, Kerr®, Lehigh®, Leslie-Locke®, Loew-Cornell® and Pine Mountain®; Consumer Solutions: Bionaire®, Crock-Pot®, FoodSaver®, Harmony®, Health o meter®, Holmes®, Mr. Coffee®, Oster®, Patton®, Rival®, Seal-a-Meal®, Sunbeam®, VillaWare® and White Mountain®; and Outdoor Solutions: Abu Garcia®, Berkley®, Campingaz®, Coleman®, Fenwick®, Gulp!®, JT®, K2®, Marker®, Marmot®, Mitchell®, Penn®, Rawlings®, Sevylor®, Stearns®, Stren®, Trilene® and Volkl®. (copied from the Jardin website - couldn't be arsed to get rid of all the ®'s Very Happy )

I ride a K2 Titan because its a good board that does everything I want it to do, fits my size 12 feet and I got it for a good price. For me, all that was secondary to where it was made and who owns the company who make it. I'm thinking of buying a Jib board - if the price is right and I can actually get hold of one in this country I might get a Capita Stairmaster as they seem like a good, rider owned brand. But if I can't get one of those I'll probably get a Ride Dose from the faceless corporation and it really won't bother me that much Very Happy

For what it's worth, I think the Skate Banana looks cool and if I can get a wide one, I might consider getting one of them.

Yep your right i wish i was a couple of grand behind mr k2
people just assume that burton are the big boys when compared to some they're quite small

The sk8 banana is quite wide i think the 159 is around the 160mm mark???

every thing is owned by everyone soon there will just be one corporation and it called microsoft

the best we can do is run off to the mountains and hide in the snow!! Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kruisler wrote:
Without discussing the quality of their products, despite being rider(s) owned, I'd have Burton more on the big corporation side than the small all handmade company side...

Err, yes. Shocked Hardly anyone is rider-owned, certainly not Burton (Nike!) nor, before anyone points it out, Lib Tech (Quiksilver). I personally feel that Burton are the Microsoft of snowboarding, as many people aren't aware of the alternatives, and their blanket marketing bears some comparison.
ronaldothefrog wrote:
You may get more of an inner glow from buying the board from the rider owned company, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to ride any better.

Good post, with many valid points. The reason I always back Lib Tech on this board is that they do make some of the best snowboards on the planet, plain and simple. All the eco stuff, the local factory, innovations, the close connections to the bleeding edge of the sport (TRice!) are just bonuses to me.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowhugger wrote:
K2 and ride are the best example they are owned by Shakespeare who make fishing rods!! Do you really want a board that is made by a fishing company?

It's the other way around actually - K2 owns Shakespeare or rather Shakespeare is owned by Pure Fishing (who do Abu Garcia, Mitchell, Berkley etc), which is in turn owned by K2 Sports.

Coleman (the stove people) fit in there somewhere too....

Shallimus makes a good point - Burton's aggressive marketing stance and the fact that it's the most 'global' of the big brands means a lot of people make that brand their first stop, even though they represent just one company is a massive market.

I started out with Burton boots because I’d heard they were the best – I made my mind up after my first week when the stitching and laces fell to bits. That was me totally out off Burton stuff (I have since warmed to them again when I pick up their clothing at half price in the sales!!). However, I still believe that like in most sports, the cost will often be the biggest factor in what the consumer buys and despite whether or not Burton/Lib tech/whoever are he best, it’s what the punter can actually afford that dictates what gear they use on the hill. That how aspirational brands are created because if it’s out of reach then we want it IMO….

All this talk of rider-owned kit is just marketing hype that’s fuelled by the magazines. How many of us actually care if the company comprises a few unwashed boarders in a little shed in the backcountry, knocking out hand-shaped trays? We all end up buying what’s best for our wallet and our ‘cool’ ideologies go out the window the minute we consider if we can afford the bills this month…
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boards offered with reverse camber from K2 and NS both use the rocker on the outside of the bindings towards the nose and tail of the board. The board area between the feet (or bindings) is flat. This is great for floating in powder and shredding some back country but these I would argue that these boards do not perform as well as the Lib-tech boards when on piste, or in the park / pipe. One reason for this is that the boards coming out of the Mervin Factory have the rocker or the ‘BANANA’ between the feet with the area either side of the bindings being flat.

My K2 Turbo bream is flat between the bindings so i must have been one of the lucky guys to get a board made ok coming from the mass produced factory
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
i asked my local shop the differences between my k2 darkstar,the turbo dream and libtech
they reckon i should keep the darkstar as its a good board anyway and not too much difference to the others
id still test one tho just to see how different they are

what i would like to find is a proper board test where you can turn up and try different boards on a real mountain
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just bought one to see what all the fuss is about.
It arrived yesterday - now I cant wait to try it out.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nigel b, Tignes Bootcamp in Oct and Dec !!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nigel b, what rayscoops said. When I was trying to replace my Duck before last season I had a list of boards to try and there wasn't one shop that sold half of them let alon the whole lot (there were only 9 or 10 on the list) to try and demo them from.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, ive got very limited holiday now till xmas
just had my darkstar serviced so that will have to last for now

Swirly, when are you off to 2 alps
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nigel b, soonish, probably leaving on the 27th.
snow conditions
Swirly, like as in next monday ?????????????????? you must be peeing your pants with excitement Laughing
latest report
DebbiDoesSnow, nah the one the month after Embarassed but yes I am.
ski holidays
Swirly, how is the exchange rate hitting your plans - will you be working ? smaller apartment ? less beer ? Shocked
snow report
rayscoops, I don't think about it! Fortunately the big cost of rent is in £'s.
ski holidays
Swirly, what are you going to do for a month? Place is dead as a doornail until December, I warn you.

Mind you, you can always come round ours for a cup of tea - relieve the interseason lethargy a bit. Laughing
snow report
Lizzard, forgot the 27th of this month hadn't passed yet rolling eyes
snow conditions
Swirly, that would make rather more sense. Laughing
ski holidays
stab wrote:
Shallimus wrote:
I Basically, I defy anyone to come up with 3 good reasons for you not to test this board. [/size]

1. The picture isnt very good
2. thats it, even I cant knock that board.
3. I'm betting burton come out with magna traction next year and claim it as their invention.

Ermmmm - my '03 Idiom has 'pressure distribution edges' where the edges bulge out slightly from the binding areas. Does that count?? Puzzled

Having said that, it's nothing like as noticable as on the lib techs!

As for me, I'm torn between a skate banana and a K2 www rocker - I like a really soft flex for buttering (which is probably the K2) and also like a bit of grip on the piste and inevitable artificial....ice (the banana, then!) Confused What shall I do ?? I want both Evil or Very Mad . Why can we only ride one at a a time?? When is someone going to invent a board with adjustable stiffness? Some kind of dial attached to carbon stringers like boa lacing??

So many questions ! Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Hi guys im off to Tignes boot camp on Sunday they have a Lib tech skate bannana there to try so deffo gonna give that a go and they also got also the following boards:

Burton Custom Ics 58
Burton Feelgood 152
Burton Feelgood 154
Burton Supermodel 163
Burton Supermodel 168
Lib Tech T Rice 157
Lib Tech Skate 156
Lib Tech Skate 159
Atomic Cold smoke 160
Atomic Rapture 159
Atomic Dream Raider 158

I ride a Rome Anthem 161, in anyone's experience are any of the other boards worth a go compared to my Anthem.
Nice 1 Very Happy sooooooooooo excited Twisted Evil
snow report
romeowner, definitely the dream raider I wanted to try one but couldn't find it anywhere.A lot of people like the custom but it's Burton Toofy Grin
snow report
Swirly, thanks for the reply, dont think i'll bother taking my own gear now Very Happy
ski holidays
romeowner, The skate banana was very popular when we were out there, only just managed to get it for the day...may well be worth an email ahead to try an reserve it for a day?....its definately worth it.
snow conditions
joydivision, i have e-mailed them but you cant reserve in advance...... think i'll take mine just incase
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the dream raider is a stiff, directional free ride monster. Definitely not a jib stick. Try the custom, come over to the even darker side and be a burton whore like me Smile
The feelgoods are womens boards and at those sizes dont really handle much more than 65kilos in rider weight.
I like atomic boards but the ones I would pop for arent there, hatchet, axum etc.
ski holidays
stab, cheers for that i'll prob try the bananna, custom and the dream raider, im aware of the feelgood my misses has the ES version which she loves its dead light too.
Iv already got burton jacket, boots and bindings so im well on my way to being a whore Smile
ski holidays
Skate Banana wins 'Best in Test' Award from Snowboarder Magazine
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy