Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tarentaise Tour - anyone done it ?

Poster: A snowHead
Is it worth doing or is it a bit contrived and more trouble than enjoyment ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a whole lot of traversing.....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, certainly worth doing, especially if you ski well enough to do the North face of Bellecote down the classic route (assuming it is safe to do, that day). Normally lots of people do it and they divide you into groups of similar standard, or you can make up a group yourself, if there are enough of you.
You need to start early and take sandwitches to eat on the way, or you won't get round in time and will miss out on the other best descent round the back of the Aiguille Rouge (Les Arcs) at the end of the trip. (Or if you don't ski so well, or the avalanche danger is high, you might anyway do a variant of the black Villaroger run).
Yes, there is quite a lot of time spent traversing along one side of a valley and skating down a track (but it is remote and beautiful and no problem). Less enjoyably quite a lot of time is taken crossing La Plagne on fairly uninteresting pistes and long lifts and there are two short minibus rides. But there are some stunning descents and you spend a lot of time very far from any piste and any resort in wild landscapes. Last time I did it (I've done it twice - but some time ago) an American in my group said it was the best days skiing of his life (despite really bad, old snow), which in my view very much overstates it. But yes, it is worth doing, especially if you have had limited experience of more adventurous skiing with guides away from it all.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have tried it twice but unfortunately both times we missed out on the runs off the back of the Auiguille Rouge because we ran out of time.

You do need a pretty strong group to do the classic route. When I did it also, the ski schools were taking a number of groups all on the same day and on the first long traverses, they insisted people were so spread out because of avalanche risk, that it took some time to get everybody across, particularly as one or two groups were very slow. They do take people with limited off piste experience which can lead to things slowing down. I seem to recall both times were on a Thursday.

My advice would be to see if you can get a guide to take you on a day when there are fewer groups on the route. That way you will have more chance of completing the whole thing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well worth doing. The Tignes - Champagny section does have alot of traversing, but your well away from any resort - great views onto N Face of Grande Casse & the Aiguille/Pointes de L'Epena/Grande Gliere etc. Any day which features a descent on the Bellecote North Face is a good day... and there's a great little caf at the bottom to have a quick drink while waiting for the bus to Peisey-Nancroix.

My advice would be not to do it with EV2 though - big groups, charging all over the place, trashing the X-country track at Champagny ("Respect the Mountain" yeah right).

It is a big day though - needs a strong group to finish with an off-piste down to Villaroger...
As mentioned above early in the week will be quieter than later.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, good advice, richjp. If you don't have to wait for slower groups you will have a better time and get to do the full tour. Alpine Experience guides often take clients on the tour and will put you in a group of similar standard if there are too few of you to make a group

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 15-08-08 14:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do you end up skiing in both Tignes & Paradiski areas? If so do you need to by a day ticket for each - seems like it would be expensive....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowsparkle2, yes. I can't remember how they deal with that.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowsparkle2, If you have an espace killy 6 day pass you get a free day in paradiski.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry a bit dim here - can someone describe, or show a map of the route from start to finish.... I recognise the La Plagne and Arcs bits, but its been a while since I skied Tignes, so not sure how the two connect.

Ta
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
offpisteskiing, and vica versa
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dsoutar, there is mention of the Tarentaise Tour on this thread I started a while ago about something else

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=911415&highlight=tarentaise+tour#911415

From memory I think the words "broken" and "man" were mentioned within it but I think that was down to fitness or lack of more than anything else. Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Make your way to Val Claret (perhaps from Val d'Isere, perhaps from Tignes) and take the right hand lifts to the Col du Palet and go over the top - continuing a long way down the right side of the valley till you finally hit a cross country skiing track which you follow for a mile or two. You reach a restaurant at the end of a tiny road and take a minibus a short way to the back (south) of the La Plagne area at the Champagny lift. Cross La Plagne to the top of Bellecote. traverse left, and go over the edge (north face) down to les Lanches where you catch another minibus to the lifts at Peisey. Cross Les Arcs ski area and, depending on time and ski ability ski down the back of the Aiguille Rouge from the Grand Col to Villaroger (or the piste or off piste from Aiguille Rouge summit). Minibus/bus back up to Val / Tignes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
offpisteskiing, sorry to divert, but with those offers for a days skiing in Paradiski with the Espace Killey lift pass is it 6 days skiing in EK and then 1 day in Paradiski or is it 5 days in EK and then the 6th day is Paradiski. Cheers.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball wrote:
Make your way to Val Claret (perhaps from Val d'Isere, perhaps from Tignes) and take the right hand lifts to the Col du Palet and go over the top

From Tignes Val Claret take the Tichot lift and then the Col du Palet drag lift(This is the left hand lift). This is the Col from where most people start.

It's a great day out and beside great skiing you might be lucky to see lots of wild animals.
snow conditions
Christopher, it's usually 6 days in total in terms of lift pass - if you go to Paradiski, you only get 5 days in ES
ski holidays
nbt wrote:
Christopher, it's usually 6 days in total in terms of lift pass - if you go to Paradiski, you only get 5 days in ES

Quote:

Do you end up skiing in both Tignes & Paradiski areas? If so do you need to by a day ticket for each - seems like it would be expensive....

Does that means doing the tour would use up 2 of those 6 days (1 for Tignes and 1 for Paradiseski) or just 5?
snow report
dsoutar, It's a crackin' Summer scramble Toofy Grin
ski holidays
abc wrote:

Does that means doing the tour would use up 2 of those 6 days (1 for Tignes and 1 for Paradiseski) or just 5?
Did you mean "or just 1"?
It is too long since I did it, I can't remember. Anyone?
ski holidays
If the above is the Tarentaise Tour, what is the route from Tignes to Champagny called?
snow report
If you see my description of the route a bit up the page you will see that Champagny is about a third of the way round.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 10-09-09 12:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
snowball, oops Embarassed
snow conditions
Quote:

abc wrote:

Did you mean "or just 1"?
It is too long since I did it, I can't remember. Anyone?

If you buy a 6 day EK pass, you can have a free day in Paradiski and Trois Vallees.
These can be the same days or different - it doesnt matter.
I have done this where we skied in 3V, EK and PS all in the same day - all for no extra charges.
You need to ensure that you take your ski pass paper receipt with you (don't lose it at start of week) - they punch holes in it, so they know that you have had your free day for that week in 3V or PS.
Just take your paper receipt and EK pass to a lift office in 3V or PS and ask for you free day pass - it is very simple and very quick.

Its called Espace Olympique (started in '92 Olympics year)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy