Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarding Armour/Wrist Guards/Padding

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I learned to board last week at Tamworth Snowdome being there for the week doing my BASI shadowing anyway, and before I had chance to think about buying/or actually going and buying some armour/knee pads/wrist guards or what have you I broke my wrist falling backwards standing still and landing on a stick arm! Bit of rotten luck that.

I will get back on a board again I expect when my wrist is fully healed up, but before I go to Tignes in December I'd like to get some suitable armour/protective clothing etc.

Therefore I'd like to know from you experienced boarders please, what sort of protective stuff if any, you wear on holiday for a week and is there any particular brands or bits of gear you can recommend? I have a helmet already, just as well I was wearing that last Thursday night or I would have had a whacked head as well to boot. snowHead

For those of you that wear wrist guards etc have they saved you a break before do you think? Am interested in your views, ta. snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
VolklAttivaS5,

You'll find that on the darkside, wristguards are a bit like helmets...they have huge potential for long animated threads! wink Laughing

Some are for, some are against. I won't get into details, if you do a search I am sure you'll find one of those long threads and find every side's arguments..

Personally, I wear some. While I would not wear a helmet whilst skiing, I do when snowboarding...Perhaps because I am not as confident there..

A few painful fall on my wrists last year prompted me to wear some guards (Dakine ones) last time around. Although I hear the "nays" points and do try and fall properly, i.e not extend the arm.. but a snowboard fall does slam you into the ground harder than a ski one IMV and it's hard to fight the reflex to put your arm out..

I don't bother with padded shorts/knee pads. I do get the odd painfull fall on kness/a*se but not enough to justify the expense or the the extra layer IMO..I don't want to end up like Bibendum (Michelin man)...
Idem with spine protectors...I don't think they're worth until you plan on going into the park and trying dangerous tricks..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry to hear about your accident, its always the small falls that seem to do the damage....just ask the misses...she caught a back edge on a flat green piste in Les Deux Alpes and ended up with a factured spine!

I personally just have ass protection as I had a few nasty back edges when learning....you've never seen bruises like it!...I think my curent ones are Burton maybe, not sure though..but they do the job...they have the added bonus of keeping your rump warm when sitting in the middle of the piste annoying skiers. wink

My bro has the Dainese shorts which he highly recommends...he also has full moto-X gear , so we natuarally rip the p*ss out of him for being a wuss.

I did experiment with the Dakine wrist guards, but found them annoying when on button lifts as I couldn't grab the pole properly....and I struggled to get my gloves over them, but I would defo wear them if I had a history of wrist injuries.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always wear a dainese back protector jacket thing, absolutely always. I wear a helmet if it's icy or I plan on being a peanut for the day. That's it, wrist guards? We didnt win 2 world wars with wrist guards did we.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kruisler wrote:
Idem with spine protectors...I don't think they're worth until you plan on going into the park and trying dangerous tricks..

I broke my ribs barely moving on piste, fell over my heel edge and landed flat on my back on a large ball of ice/hard snow. A back protector would I'm sure lessened it a bit, but maybe it was just unlucky where the ice stuck in me.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have wrist guards, and never snowboard without them (not that I board very often, or very hard, or very fast, or very anything). I know the arguments about the shock being transferred further up the arm, but wrists are super-complicated. I have become quite good at falling (lots of practice...) but whilst little falls are OK, and I do try to cross arms across chest etc. I did bash my wrist in a particularly spectacular cartwheeling fall one day last year. It hadn't stopped hurting when I drove back to UK some days later - it was very sore changing gear on occasion, and because I have some experience of scaphoid fractures (my daughter did one playing basket ball and it wasn't till next day that she decided things were bad enough to get X-rayed) I went to A & E after a few days in the UK. They X-rayed and said they couldn't see a fracture of the scaphoid, but that they were often not obvious on X rays, and that I should wear a support and go back some weeks later. In the end it settled down, and I didn't go back, and in the meantime the support was a help. Without the guards, the force could well have broken the scaphoid. On that occasion I was completely out of control and the sheer centrifugal force of the cartwheel meant I had no chance of doing clever things with my arms. I had a helmet on too, which was good as in the middle stage of my cartwheel the top of my head, or rather helmet, was the only thing in contact with the ground. I think the next thing to hit the ground was the edge of the board, which whiplashed me forward again - onto my wrist. By that time I had rather lost track....).

You do need to buy wrist guards and gloves together (there are some which are sold as a unit) because the wrist guards are too bulky to go into some gloves. Mine are Dakine. I did wear knee and elbow guards (cheap skateboarding ones from Decathlon) at the outset, but don't bother now - they were very uncomfortable. I have armoured knickers too. They don't protect your coccyx unless you fall properly, which is a great incentive. I have found them most useful in preventing heavy bruising on the top of thighs/hips. I wear them skiing sometimes, for example if trying to do turns on the wrong leg. They need extra large trousers to go over the top; sexy they're not.

Re-reading the above, I do wonder why I bother.

Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VolklAttivaS5, I thought you were going to Tignes in October?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stab wrote:
Kruisler wrote:

I broke my ribs barely moving on piste, fell over my heel edge and landed flat on my back on a large ball of ice/hard snow. A back protector would I'm sure lessened it a bit, but maybe it was just unlucky where the ice stuck in me.

That's the whole helmet debate which I won't get into! wink Very Happy

Obviously anything could possibly happen at any time and you can get unlucky. To each individual the responsability to evaluate risks compared to their riding skills/terrain/style and decide what in their view is worth wearing or not....

Hopefully VolklAttivaS5 will have and easier time deciding "what not to wear" from reading all posts...

Silly thing can create a lot of damage. I broke my rib while touching down a try whilst playing rugby...Dived in with ball firmly tucked under arm/rib cage, bounced on landing and found myself with a broken rib... Embarassed
I won't start wearing impact vests though....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, I'm going to Tignes with you and Mountain Sun in October and will be skiing as it will be too icy for boarding for me and too early to risk knackering this hand up again. At least with skiing you tend to fall to the side and can do something about it. December I'm back there in Tignes for 3 weeks until Christmas, 1 week boarding/skiing (well that was the plan!) and 2 weeks on a course skiing with Dave Peek et al with Inspired to Ski.

I think I will have a look at some wrist guarded gloves as my gloves won't get anything underneath them they're too close fitting. Plus some knee things simply because I hate falling on my knees. I don't like to see them all black and mottled as they are now.

Thanks for the info guys!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
butt protection my main bit of safety equipment - protects my brain !!,
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rayscoops,
Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Actually rayscoops, this season might see you don back protection as well mightn't it? wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kruisler, maybe ....... but I include L4 L5 discs as my butt and my padding extends over that region
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wrist guards, knee pads and a helmet. My backside is big enough to look after itself
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
VolklAttivaS5, have a look at the Level Fly gloves. easy to get on and off, warm, waterproof - goretex with removable fleece liners.

two weeks use and abuse, a few sessions in a dome and they still look like brand new too.

had separate dakine guards and gloves - that was a right pain in the hole!
snow report
the flexmeter ones are often recommended (see here for the ones that extend halfway up your forearm as well as cover your wrists: http://www.alpsgear.co.uk/Home/Flexmeter-Wrist-Guards-Double-Protection ). it's really down to what you want out of the protection you're researching.

i wear a demon branded helmet and demon branded impact shorts - the helmet cos it's not just me that can do silly things like fall over, others can crash into me too and a helmet may lessen the impact/possible injury. the impact shorts are worn cos i'm still rubbish at snowboarding and still catch edges. impact shorts bless you with curves you didn't have before, so take your ski/snowboarding trousers with you when trying out impact shorts to ensure a proper fit. better still, buy the two items at the same time. also, personal preference, i got a pair of blokes shorts cos they had proper impact panels (the ones aimed at women were pink, girly and useless rolling eyes Evil or Very Mad )

i've used dakine wrist guards but they became a nuisance as i improved and learned to fall properly. i will start using them again when i eventually venture into the park or start doing freestyle stuff over natural terrain. i may also get back protection depending on how good i become at freestyle or if i venture into proper freeriding territory/off-piste.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, Hope your feeling better.

I always ride with my Dakine wrist guards after breaking my wrist(s) skiing on plastic. see http://www.surfdome.com/Dakine_Wrist_Guards_-_Black-4806

I guess with hind-sight a helmet is a good plan, having suffered a few sharp heel edge falls resulting in a sore head. Don't worry too much about the brand, rather make sure it fits correctly.
snow report
sherlock235, I use flexmeters and can't recommend them highly enough. I'm currently learning to do rails / rotations from kickers (so falling a lot) and I'm convinced that without them I would have bust one or both of my wrists by now. I agree with the comments above about buying gloves and guards at the same time though - my gloves are VERY snug now I've got the wrist guards on too. I've tried other wrist guards - Level's biomex guards that come with the gloves are pretty comfy but I didn't like Dakine's at all (I've got a pair of Nova gloves with built in guards which I found really uncomfortable on my palms (strangely) when I fell...

I don't really understand why anyone wouldn't want to wear a helmet either. I personally wouldn't board without one. I've got a Protec B2 Scotty Arnold (with built in speakers) which I'm well chuffed with and looks pretty good too.
snow report
Quote:

I don't bother with padded shorts/knee pads. I do get the odd painfull fall on kness/a*se but not enough to justify the expense or the the extra layer IMO..I don't want to end up like Bibendum (Michelin man)...

I use Burton Red impact shorts, which are practically invisible under baggy Quiksilver snowpants ... having back bottom and knee protection to stop bruises makes you more confident when practising! wink

AFAIK my wrists have never been at risk of fractures but having wrist guards ... mmm ... they may make you feel safer which could encourage you to take more risks ...
snow report
Aviator wrote:
AFAIK my wrists have never been at risk of fractures but having wrist guards ... mmm ... they may make you feel safer which could encourage you to take more risks ...

Before the flame war begins... let's just all agree that there is no one right answer for everyone, mmm? Little Angel

Personally I don't wear wrist guards, nor do I plan to. When I fall, I always try to roll over whichever shoulder is going to impact, and get my board in the air so it doesn't catch on the ground. Thus far I have had good results (long may it continue). When falling at very high speed, rolling over the shoulder isn't always a practical possibility, but wrist guards probably wouldn't save me in that case either. Having said that, I'd hate to recommend someone not to wear protective gear and be proven wrong the hard way.
ski holidays
aviator,

The day I get into tricks and jumps I might invest into impact short/vests, but that is still a few boarding days away. My level is not good enough yet and for what I do on the piste I don't think padded shorts are needed...

And with regards to ending up like Bibendum I meant more about how I felt rather than looked. It's probably just me but I hate feeling like I have bulky things on me. Hence I wear several small layers (base + small fleece + soft shell) rather than a big jacket for example... It's a personal thing..
latest report
Quote:

I don't really understand why anyone wouldn't want to wear a helmet either

Meh. Did you really want to say that.
ski holidays
Quote:

they may make you feel safer which could encourage you to take more risks ...

why would that argument apply to wristguards but not to impact shorts and knee protection? Doesn't make sense to me. As for wrists not being at risk of fractures, the statistics of snowboarding accidents suggest otherwise. Few people fracture their coccyx, as opposed to just having a horribly sore a*se, but plenty break their wrists, including people just having a very gentle go on a nursery slope (one young girl I know, a good little skier, broke her wrist in her first ten minutes on an almost flat piste). The fact that scaphoid fractures are so prone to ongoing problems means that anything which reduces the risk of that fracture (the most common in wrists) is worth considering. Falling onto your coccyx, or onto your wrists, are both indicative of falling badly, but most of us do, especially when we're far from expert.
latest report
Swirly, Laughing

The helmet/no helmet/wrist guard/no wrist guard thread is showing its ugly head again!

Everyone, run! run now before its too late! Toofy Grin
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, bad luck. Glad you haven't written yourself off despite the obvious.

I suppose protection aids are a bit like airbags in cars – they will help, I have no doubt about it, but they won't prevent against everything that can happen.
snow conditions
Specialman, thanks. No, I will endeavour especially as I'd just got the hang of it.

rogg, Just looking at some Level Biomex Women's Half Pipe Gloves, the Fly's I can get here in the UK from Robin Hood Watersports but they are not women's and Level say to get the women's specific ones so the Biomex thing fits your hand right. The Half Pipe gloves are exactly the same as the Fly in every way re features as far as I can see. I've found a shop in Germany that sells the Half Pipe ones though, with postage and exchange rate into £ they are working out to be £85. The Fly's are £65 plus postage so not a lot in it really. Not much difference from the top of the range Flexmeter ones either at £73.99 with double wrist protection. I've got some Level gloves already too so I know they fit me well if I get the same size as what I've got now.

Has anyone noticed that their Level gloves get smelly quickly though? Shocked I can wear my old Salomon gloves for a fortnight and they don't get smelly at all, my Levels honk after like a day or two so it can't be me! Hmmm.

I'm hoping these Half Pipe ones will be alright though because they're Gore Tex. wink
ski holidays
Just thinking when I learnt (on the dry slope) I wore wrist guards, knee pads and elbow pads. I gave up on the elbow pads pretty quick as they didn't seem worthwhile. I also wore two pairs of shorts under my trousers with some camping mat stuffed down them protecting the backside. Nowadays as I said on t'other thread it's just the bendy wrist guards that are built into the gloves, problem is the gloves are falling apart, I'm not too happy with this £50 down from £80 and they've only lasted 7 weeks I wonder if it's from carrying the board as it does have fairly sharp edges.
snow report
I have a Leedom helmet, wear a back protector and wear my boxing wraps on my hands (go neatly under gloves). Thinking of investing in some impact pads as concerned for my coccyx as I try to jump off every item in sight. So far so good!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swirly wrote:
Quote:

I don't really understand why anyone wouldn't want to wear a helmet either

Meh. Did you really want to say that.

Yep, I stand by it. Why don't people want to wear helmets? Do they think they look cooler without or is there a some percieved way in which it affects ability / movement?
ski holidays
Quote:

Do they think they look cooler without

Yes rolling eyes
ski holidays
gel filled beanies' the way to go - if you have the cash! Very Happy
snow report
rayscoops, this season I'm experimenting with an air filled bin bag, if it works I may try and develop some sort of hot air balloon style device.
snow conditions
Swirly, is that for your head or your @rse ? Laughing
snow conditions
some people dont want to spend 4 days packing all their protective crap.. then spend all morning looking for it and putting it on.. the total freedom of get up , getting your sunglasses and boots and just f..king off on a sunny morning is great.. no backpack full of tools, no 14 gallons of energy drinks, no contour piste map.. no gps.. hell sometime even no lip balm!!!
snow conditions
CANV CANVINGTON, what about your board? Very Happy
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON, you too crazy.
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON,

Revolutionnary...That's some brave forward thinking...

Especially in light of all those reports/stats showing the huge number of head injuries among snowboarders...
snow conditions
Kruisler, may i suggest reducing the chances of smacking your bonce up, by using whats in it
latest report
CANV CANVINGTON,

mmhhh... Puzzled .....

that's where english as a 2nd language let's me down.
snow report
I have 2 helmets (oo er) both are cool, both make me look like a retard, but I will still wear one as hitting your head hurts.

Although this season I must rememeber to get a pic of me on the piste with my hat as it much more attractive than having a upturned pottie on your head Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy