Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drag lift technique

Poster: A snowHead
Draglift poll
When on a drag lift, do you have front foot in only, or do you strap both in?
Explain your answer in 100 words or less. Use both sides of the paper.

Front only: rayscoops, fatbob, Specialman
Both: Shallimus, pam_w, Swirly
Haven't tried yet: Kruisler
I refuse to go near any drag lifts!: no-one yet

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 15-08-08 12:26; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am a near beginner and have only ridden easy lifts - might be different with tougher ones. Have both feet in (Flow bindings help). Because I am less likely to fall off and, if I do, less likely to hurt a knee if the board digs into the snow and (contrary to what some assert) can get out of the way of the lift a lot quicker. BUT - don't try to use the backfoot to steer. Weight on the front foot and keep the board flat. Relax. Listen to music. Smile.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
front foot only - only because I have not tried both feet ! is it is a hassle getting both feet in and getting in the right position to grab the pole? and also I find being goofy I always seem to be facing the wrong way for the side the drag arrives from
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Both.

Not a problem to move around using a combination of "waddling" and fences. I find 50% of the time the pole is in front of me and 50% behind, I've not tried switch yet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have not tried drag lifts yet...

Do you actually fit the pole as per skiers and slide slightly to the side of the track?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Front foot - some places won't let you with both in - do you hop up to the take off or strap in once you're moving? Either sounds like too much hassle when a couple on traction dots do the job for the backfoot.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
At MK i go front foot only. In resort I avoid drags like the plague but will go front foot. Find doing it with two feet puts me off balance.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kruisler wrote:
Have not tried drag lifts yet...
Do you actually fit the pole as per skiers and slide slightly to the side of the track?

It goes between the legs and applies pressure to the inside of your leading thigh. Advice to all gentlemen: ensure that you dress to the appropriate side immediately prior to applying the button or T-bar wink
Having said that, I can also ride with a T-bar behind my waist, behind my rear thigh (although this tends to try to slide away and isn't comfortable), under my rear shoulder or even just holding on with hands (exhausting and only recommended when you're bored, though).

fatbob wrote:
Front foot - some places won't let you with both in - do you hop up to the take off or strap in once you're moving? Either sounds like too much hassle when a couple on traction dots do the job for the backfoot.

I haven't found anywhere which won't let me ride with both feet in, although some places told me I was wrong/stupid for doing so, but when pressed couldn't explain why this should be so - I reckon it's just received wisdom. So long as you look halfway competent on the approach (about the best I can manage wink) I can't see them stopping you. I strap in either while waiting for the poma or just after takeoff (this second takes a bit more practice to get right). I agree with pam_w that Flow bindings are awesome for this (and for everything else too IMO) but you can strap in while moving with traditional bindings too.

As I see it, the advantage of having both feet in vs. just a stomp pad or whatever is that if you catch an edge while on the drag lift, or just feel yourself losing it, you can jump out of trouble, which is much harder with one foot out. I also reckon pam_w is onto something re: getting out of the way quicker and - critically for me given previous knee trouble - being less likely to twist a knee in the event of an 'oops-based event'.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've heard the some resorts won't let you thing many times but have never experienced it. I expect the results of this to be 50-50, this is what I've experienced in resort. I don't think there's a right or wrong way just whatever works for you. Drags are generally avoidable but they're the sole lift for most parks I've seen so if that's your thing you'd better get on them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

no, up the middle. Or, in my case, sometimes slaloming rather precariously, and unintentionally, from side to side when I take off. Your feet/weight are still on the centre line. Pole as per skiers, but that's easier for girls. Confused Confused

I stick my back foot in at the last minute right by the pole - though all lifts have things to shove yourself along.

My son and nephew, both good boarders, using a very steep lift last year, one with a vicious jerk to start with, had different techniques. My son grabbed the pole with both hands and, once under way smoothly, shoved it between his legs. My nephew sat on to start with and rode the jerk. Neither fell off. My son rides regular, my nephew goofy, and the pole is one you pick up on your right; don't know if that made any difference. It's not a lift I've ever tried on a board....there's a warning about it at the top of the slope.

I've heard before about lifts where you're not allowed to ride both feet in. Can't imagine why not - personally I can clear the track quicker with both feet in - no need to stand up, just roll the board over your head as necessary. But I know I should practice more with one foot. I'm a bit scared, because the only time I've come close to a genuine injury (as opposed to agonizing temporary pain!) on a board was falling on the off ramp of a chairlift, with one foot in. the free end of the board dug into very deep snow and wrenched my knee badly.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

My son grabbed the pole with both hands and, once under way smoothly, shoved it between his legs. My nephew sat on to start with and rode the jerk.

New poll anyone Toofy Grin

I do both but when it's quite vicious I tend for holding in my hand initially, I will normally put it between my legs to start with though but let it slip out if it's particularly vicious then put it back.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I do both but when it's quite vicious I tend for holding in my hand initially, I will normally put it between my legs to start with though but let it slip out if it's particularly vicious then put it back.

this is getting a bit saucey wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Front in mostly, as some lifties/resorts get a bit funny about having both in
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I reckon anyone who can ride in a park ought to be able to get up a draglift. Even I can do that and I'm a useless old age pensioner who wouldn't go anywhere near a park.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
front foot only
ski holidays
back foot out of the binding, phone in left hand, lighter and spliff in the right hand, gloves in pocket.

If you ride with both feet strapped in then you can't recover if something goes wrong, you'll just hit the deck.
I use them like a skier does, bar behind my ass, but this is only because I have a huge c0ck.
latest report
Quote:

if something goes wrong,

If you can use a drag nothing goes wrong.
ski holidays
What I am struggling to picture is if the button is placed between legs/behind ar$e as per skiers then surely the body is all skewed and mighty uncomfortable, and/or the board is at angle to the track making hard to do keep it flat/do little turns...
Any videos?
ski holidays
Kruisler, the button has a flexi-hose type end and you can bend it round, but you are a bit sort of skewed, it is a bit like a hook that goes up a skiers jacksie, but for us it sort of hooks around the inner thigh of the front leg
snow conditions
rayscoops,

I know about teh flexible end but did not think that would provide much relief...
The skiwelt has no drag lifts ( I think) and it's where I have boarded since taking snowboarding up, so I never really looked at boarders using drag lifts...
Will have to look at this more...
latest report
Kruisler, I avoid them if I can by planning my route and if I see one on the piste map I will take another piste - I only use them if, by accident or lift closure, I have no other option. Saying that I have spent a few hours on them when other lifts are shut - to practice falling off Laughing
latest report
rayscoops,

Very Happy
latest report
Swirly wrote:
Quote:

if something goes wrong,

If you can use a drag nothing goes wrong.

It can do if you are pi$$ing yourself laughing at one of your mates in distress Laughing
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
Kruisler, I avoid them if I can by planning my route and if I see one on the piste map I will take another piste - I only use them if, by accident or lift closure,

I make my way too them, you can guarantee a monkey free day on t bar pistes. Saddest part of the region I live is they are slowly replacing the t bars Sad
snow conditions
stab, you the man wink
latest report
ooh yeah, spitting game as well and all that. Laughing

Just trying to get a pair of custom YO! 24k ltd at the moment, then I shall have true playa game. Cool
latest report
rayscoops, I'm still waiting for a response from grazygeorges, I trust you'll be up for continuing my theme here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=41308
snow conditions
stab wrote:
ooh yeah, spitting game as well and all that. Laughing

Just trying to get a pair of custom YO! 24k ltd at the moment, then I shall have true playa game. Cool

Is that solid gold? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
doubt it for 200 dollars.

There is a platinum YO! as well Cool
latest report
front foot only
snow report
nigel b wrote:
front foot only

So platinum at the front and gold at the rear?
latest report
stab, there is a limit as to how much bling one should have... are you going to be sporting a burberry hat too ??
snow conditions
DebbiDoesSnow, there's never a limit. I have to stand out from all this credit crunch chic don't I? Laughing
latest report
stab, your trousers will cover most of 'em ! Maybe you should invest in gold calvins so they show above baggy falling down pants wink
snow report
DC do an almost chrome mirror finish trouser and jacket this season Cool
ski holidays
I'm wearing clothes made exclusively from £50 notes.
snow conditions
stab wrote:
DC do an almost chrome mirror finish trouser and jacket this season Cool

Blinding!
snow report
Swirly, thats an exspensive dressing gown Shocked
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
Quote:

this is getting a bit saucey wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I've only encountered one type of surface tow lift so far and that was that tow rope at Tamworth Snowdome. I kept my goofy front foot in and placed the back foot right next to the back binding to rest it on there. There was a lot of near limbo-ing under the rope at times but after a few practice runs I got it sorted. I found it easier to twist my body and face up the hill as it I was on skis although some of the boarders ride the tow rope with their front or back to it and face across the hill. I like to see where I'm going.

I wouldn't know where to start if I was in resort and had to suddenly take a button/poma tow or a T-bar at a moment's notice. When I get to Tignes I will have a scoot around on skis the first day to see where they all are and pay attention to how the boarders are getting on them before I get the board out. Laughing Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

I like to see where I'm going.

Twist your neck! Not your body.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy