Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine - Christmas/New Year????

Poster: A snowHead
We planning on going to Morzine for Christmas & New Year this year and was hoping someone here could give us an idea of what the skiing will be like at that time of year. Both of us are novices so not looking for off-piste!!!! Very Happy
Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dowcipnis, Hello and a warm welcome to Snowheads.

I am afraid you have asked an impossible question. No-one knows the answer. It might be brilliant (I've seen that), you might not be able to ski at all (I haven't seen that but I know it's happened) or anything in between.

Probably...the snow is likely to be good enough for you.

The resort will be warm, welcoming, and mighty fine. It's a terrific place. You'll love it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dowcipnis, welcome, great resort to learn. As David says, chances are you'll be fine, but who knows! We've skiied Les Gets (and therefore into Morzine ski area) for the last four years at Christmas or New Year and have had good snow except for 1 1/2 days end December 06 when it was dreadful and we had to accept defeat and come inside. Going again this year.
Morzine is a great town with plenty to do and a great atmosphere. snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the response, going to book it this weekend!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can't wait till Christmas - heading there tonight with a tent, a mountain-bike and a couple of mates Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dowcipnis, went to the PDS in March and stayed in Les Gets. Snow was awesome and the links over to Morzine were great - it's a brilliant area that you'll love. In bad weather there's loads of tree cover to break up the winds. Loads of blues and fun reds that you'll really like.

However, Morzine is the lowest of the resorts in the PDS (1000m) so if there's a lack of snow, you'll suffer first in Morzine. We had mountains of the stuff in LG when we went in March but when we go over to Morzine, the snow was churned to death and it was just getting too thin, too icy and not enjoyable at all. In fact, after half a day we swore never to go back to Morzine through the week because it was just so unpleasant.

If you get a massive dump of the stuff then you'll love it. The good thing is you can get over to Avoriaz and Les Gets very easily and up to the peaks where there will be good snow cover. Try Mont Chery in LG if there's powder – heaven on earth – and ge up to Chamoissure above Morzine for an exhillarating descent.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Caspar wrote:
Can't wait till Christmas - heading there tonight with a tent, a mountain-bike and a couple of mates Very Happy

Wouldn't it be easier to just travel out closer to the time, rather than camping there for all that time Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PhillipStanton, Laughing
It's only for a week unfortunately. Would love to camp there till Christmas and beyond but that would mean taking even more gear. Besides, I'm due in Tignes for Christmas snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Specialman,
Quote:

Try Mont Chery in LG

Shh shh shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for that. Maybe thinking of taking the Eurostar or the overnight snow train from london, whats the nearest Mainline station to Morzine. Also, if we moved onto Val Thorens for New year how difficult would it be to get between the 2 resorts?
Dow
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cluses is nearest train station. Not sure about transfer to VT.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lou, bum, forgot about the secrecy vow!!!...

Dowcipnis, forget that I even mentioned MONT CHERY in LES GETS.... Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Specialman, If my fav run has anymore than two skiiers or boarders on 27 Dec ..... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Are you going back again btw?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Of the PdS, I say that Morzine is possibly the most convenient place to be. If the snow is good, the Morzine/LesGets side is good. If it's bad, then there's a direct link to the Avoriaz side, and the higher you go the better (and easier) it will become. I've been the week after New Yr a few times, and it's been brilliant fun all times except one (when it was dire low down, but more than acceptable at the higher end of Avoriaz).

Does "Novice" mean "never skiied before"? or "skiied once and desperate to go back for more"?

Pretty sure there's a bus from Cluses to Morzine (if not it must be Taninges to Morzine). Dunno how to get to VT.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Novice means skied a few times, had couple of weeks in Davos, can get down a blue without making a total a**e of myself Very Happy . my better half has never skied before!
snow conditions
Dowcipnis, once booked, start looking to book lessons as will be busy time (esp on Mont Chery wink ). Ski schools I have come across so far seem to start checking their emails from September time and many can be booked online. BASS have good reputation in Morzine though more expensive.
snow report
So, Morzine for Christmas is booked, now just need to decide on Val Thorens or stay in the Morzine area for New year! Puzzled Any ideas?????
snow report
Lou, may head back at some point. Really liked LG - great village feel but with a shedload of great runs - but have booked Val D'Isere for december so if I do get back, it won't be until March-ish. Mind you, if it snows then like we had last March I'll be well chuffed... Smile

BTW, which was your fave run then? Epiviere/Chamois on Mont Chery was great but that Combes of Pont Du Nyon too some beating. Gives me shivers just thinking about those turns.... Smile
snow conditions
Specialman, I hope you haven't blown it, I'd hate to have to wait behind someone to get on a lift on Mont Chery. Would be very tiresome...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy