Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To stay in Tignes or Val D'Isere?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having booked for Arabba in January and 3 Valleys in February it leaves a last minute opportunity for December 13th.

I have never been to Tignes/Val D'Isere but from reading reports on here it seems a good option plus there will be last minute availablity through Crystal and the rest.

So my question to you guys is which resort is the best to stay in and is it pretty easy to get between both resorts for a fairly confident/competent intermediate?

Or would LDA/Les Arcs be better?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's fairly easy to ski between the 2 resorts-and if your a competent skier then you can get to the other end of the domain from whichever way and back home in a day.

I've stayed in both and i prefer Tignes mainly because i think its a bit more down to earth with less hooray henry's there than Val and its a bit cheaper too.

Both are great resorts though so i'm sure you'll have a good time whichever you choose. I guess also it depends what your priorities are such as closeness to pistes/lifts and apres ski.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would choose to stay in Tignes out of the two as well.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tignes for the skiing, Val for the apres ski.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The route on skis into VD from Tignes can be tricky for beginers. If I remember correctly there is 3 ways.
The Okey run, up until recently the world cup run
Le Face, the original world cup run and now reinstated as the world cup course
And a horible 'blue' run which is a natural half pipe shape which is horrible to ski in poor conditions and then to top it off has a realy long flat run in. So if you dont carry your speed (or come from the darkside) you end up with a long walk.

Please correct me if im wrong.

That said confident/competent intermediate will be fine, Les Face is great as is the Okey.

I am re-visiting Espace Killy this comming year, I just love the sking there. Stayed in Val Claret befor prob' looking at Le Lac next year.

I would also say stay Tignes side. But ensure you get the area ski pass.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Tignes for the skiing, Val for the apres ski.

Definitely agree re. the skiing as I find access to the slopes (and return) more convenient from most parts of Tignes. Disagree re apres ski as it depends where you stay in Tignes. In my view, Val Claret (at Tignes) compares very well with Val d'Isere (especially if you are only there for a week) in terms of a decent choice of bars and restaurants BUT has the advantage of everywhere being no more than 10 mins walk away. Plus, for variation (if needed), there is a free 24 hr bus from Val Claret to Le Lac & Lavachet.

Having said all that, you'll have a great time whichever resort you choose Madeye-Smiley - the ski area is fantastic.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Renry wrote:
has a realy long flat run in. So if you dont carry your speed (or come from the darkside) you end up with a long walk.

Please correct me if im wrong.

Shocked even from the black it is a tricky flat section

if you are having any problems(struggling beginner) its much better to ski to laDaille and bus it to val center or ride the olympic gondola down
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Armitageblue, I don't think there is much between the two. There's plenty of nightlife in both resorts, maybe slightly more in Val than in Tignes. As competent intermediates you'll get around the ski domain without any issues, although as others have said getting back to Val d'Isere village (rather than La Daille or Le Fornet) can be tricky. Tignes is a few hundred metres higher than Val, which might make a difference early in the season in terms of skiing back to the resort. All other things being equal my choice would be Tignes Le Lac. Easy access on skis, good lift system out of the resort, nice pool/spa complex, good choice of restaurants and bars (including the Alpaka, haunt of a few saisonnaire snowHeads).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you for your comments, I'll look out for Tignes then. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just to add, from a skiing point of view Tignes has better glacier access if early snow is poor. Val d'I has better tree access if weather is poor.
From a non skiing point of view Tignes is uglier but has a more relaxed atmosphere with less of a Yahoo brigade that can make Val irritating at times though I would imagine this is less of an issue in a pre xmas trip.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
Armitageblue, All other things being equal my choice would be Tignes Le Lac. Easy access on skis, good lift system out of the resort, nice pool/spa complex,

That is the reason for my choice of staying in Le Lac next year.
Will be there (hopefuly) first week in Feb
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy