Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sochi 2014???

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/302f20b8-6754-11dd-808f-0000779fd18c.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We better offer to host the games at Castleford, then.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But has Castleford ever had a communist dictorship running the show? Clearly an important criteria for the IOC.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
waynos, Ken Livingston needs something to do - and should be acceptable to the IOC. Problem solved.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
waynos, No the IOC does not mind if a communist dictatorship runs the show! They only care how much the government/dictatorship are prepared to give the bergers of Ouchy!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It seems the area is set-up for brinkmanship. The southern states seem to support Georgia's stance in wanting more contact with the west
and Russia does not the potential of NATO allies in its soft underbelly. Georgia's work in Osietta was smashed by Russia who probably did not want to miss the chance to warn the whole region not to go too far. As far as I know, the states have a semblance of democracy and the goverenments were pretty reasonably elected so it could be explosive for the region. It sounds like a Russian version of the Balkans to me which would have huge ramifications for the 2014 games.....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT, All the more reason to go to Castleford. And it would stop all that nonsense about Northern folk should be going south.

So. Red Ken as Chief Exec. Somkin Joe as HR. Bring back PG to run the races. It's all beginning to make sense. admin should contact the IOC at once...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Russia's not communist. If you're going to have a jib at it's political direction least get it right, it's fascist.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timmaah, is it? I'd have said it was a limited democracy, a bit like the UK's only without the liberal tradition and respect for the law (most of the time) which curbs the worst excesses of our government.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timmaah, "fascist"?? You are waaayyy off piste with this one.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Because a state that is heading in the direction of a one-party police state with private enterprise doesn't sound fascist?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hhmmmm not sure either way, although the russians themselves would be horrified to be described as fascists...Of course, that doesn't disallow them to be so.....

AFAIK, they had 'free' elections' or certainly in name and outward appearance, although it still put Putin in charge of a puppet government... AIUI.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Interesting, there doesn't seem to be a precedent for games being moved from the original venue apart from for world wars when they were cancelled completely. No Olympic host cuty has ever had the games taken away from them and awarded elsewhere because they were not ready (although we know that preparations have often been pretty close to the wire).

I guess there are two scenarios that might require this: either there is military action now and for a few months, which sets preparations so far behind that it would be deemed impossible to meet the target date, or there is military conflict that continues until 2014 leaving the area unsuitable for security reasons, regardless of venue readiness. I wonder at what point the decision would have to be made in each scenario, for another venue to swing into action.

One of the things with the Sochi bid that always struck me was the sheer scope of infrastructure etc. needed to transform such a remote area into an olympic venue. It doesn't seem like they would have much tolerance in the schedule to allow for things like military unrest.

D
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Deliaskis, It isn't remote to Russians in the sense that it is their MAIN Black Sea resort, AIUI. And they will be a fast train link in place..or planned to be in place, down from St P and Russia..which is just as well as the journey take over a day from Moscow atm...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, I had read though that despite it being a black sea resort, there was still limited road access and none at all to a lot of the actual venue sites. Might be wrong though. And I guess this is the question - whether all of the things planned to be in place, will actually be in place, in view of the current unrest.

Of course it is 6 years away so too early to write it off, was just wondering on a hypothetical level how it would be moved if that ever happened.

D
snow conditions
Deliaskis,

I would have thought the russians would approach it like the Chinese did Beijing...although whether they will have quite that amount of money to throw at it, I am not sure.

I would guess the Tarentaise has a lot of facilities it could use... I doubt they are worn out having been specially built and used sparingly since the last time..Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy