Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Children and Prescription Glasses

Poster: A snowHead
I will be taking my daughter skiing for the first time in Feb but she wears glasses and i'n not sure what the best thing is to do as i've not noticed any other kids as they normally have goggles on.

Is it simply a case of wearing goggles over the top or will i have to fork out on prescription sunglasses that will not sufficiently protect her eyes as they are not of a sports type.

Is there a clip on version (but i dont want her to look geeky and feel awkward.

Any suggestions?? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Libertine, My understanding from adults who don't wear contacts is to get goggles that go over the glasses. They do make these for kids.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's also possible to get googles with prescription lenses, although this can be expensive for complex prescriptions. These either have an integrated lens which matches your prescription, or has clip-in lenses which are designed specifically for the googles. See http://www.rxsport.co.uk/ski-ps.htm

Alternatively, decent prescription sunglasses ( http://oakley.com/pd/1239/2582 ) would be OK in good conditions, but there's nothing to beat goggles in low visibility, blowing snow, or if they are likely to fall over a lot.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Libertine, My 9 year old son wears glasses with a pretty strong prescription, but tends to ski without them, without problem (his vision problem is close up stuff). However, we are going to investigate prescription goggles/sunglasses for the next ski holiday. If your daughter can't do without her glasses, it may be worth looking into perhaps?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 12-08-08 16:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Libertine, A few years back, Tesco opticians did goggles with prescription inserts for £35, see this thread
It may be worthwhile making enquiries of Tesco as to whether they still do them. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Libertine, she should be OK with goggles over the top, but you'll need to get good quality goggles with adequate air circulation. I bought some prescription inserts last year, but I ski many weeks each year and used goggles over glasses for years.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get contact lenses.

Kids with glasses is unfair.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Libertine, my 10 year old has been ski-ing for 3 years now, he has a very strong prescription (can see nothing at all clearly without his glasses on), most of the skiing we have done has been in fine sunny weather so he has worn prescription sunglasses almost all the time. We got these either for free or for a very minimal cost (can't quite remember, but if we did pay anything I think it was less than £30) when his opticians were doing a 'buy one get one pair free' offer: as children's glasses are free on the NHS we could opt to get the second pair as sunglasses. If your child needs to wear glasses all the time I would highly recommend getting a pair of prescription sunglasses as he has had a lot of wear out of them at home (when and if the sun shines!). Having sunglasses also means that if you stop for lunch etc the child can wear them, rather than having to keep their goggles on. Choose a pair with wide side pieces and that fit well round the ears so that if she falls they stay on, or get the strings/elastics to attach them. For bad weather he wears the googles designed to go over his normal glasses, and they have been fine, the only time we had a problem was when he had a big wipeout resulting in goggles and glasses full of snow which I found difficult to get dry on the slope!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Prescription sunglasses ond OTG goggles for my son. Pity he then decided he didn't want to ski anymore Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Libertine, My daughter has the Addidas glasses with the inserts. They are not cheap though, and kids prescriptions may change within a short period.

snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Prescription sunglasses are not as effective as goggles, so go for the goggles over normal glasses route. Prescription goggles I class as an indulgence and inserts are not as good as proper glasses (except for children who probably can cope without glasses).
With helmet as well of course, so there is no real differential.
My daughter for reference has been wearing glasses since age 2 and is now 11. Her prescription is unlikely to change but I can see no reason to put children onto contacts until age 16 earliest.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold wrote:
Get contact lenses.

Cr@p. Certainly not while vision is changing fairly rapidly.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all your advice. i will def check out all the above. Have asked my ski shop to get in those specific goggles over glasses to try them out and looking into that tesco option. Very Happy

As for contacts, was also told that she should not wear until at least 16yoa
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As an instructor who worked quite a bit with young (4-5) year olds I highly recommend sunnies over any kind of goggle. Kids leave sunnies alone, giving them the very needed eye protection, but goggles gives them some discomfort so they permanently mess with it, or refuse to wear them at all. Kids goggles are absolutely terrible... they cost like 5p and their quality is worth even less Wink

From 6-7 yrs goggles seem to go down a lot better.

So choose depending on the age of your young one.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, You bit again rolling eyes
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
Hurtle, You bit again rolling eyes

Yes, but... Toofy Grin
snow report
Libertine, we went into our son's opticians (Specsavers) yesterday to enquire about prescription sunnies or goggles. They can convert any of the children's glasses range into presciption sunglasses, for £42. This includes making our son's strong lenses very thin so that they are not 'bottle-bottoms'. They also advised that although goggles are possible, the lenses are less than ideal for children and in their experience, less comfy than sunglasses - the kids are used to wearing glasses so don't find them uncomfortable or fiddly. Specsavers need about a week to process an order We will definitely get them done for him, and the sunglasses can also be used in the summer of course. Hope this is of use Very Happy
snow conditions
My daughter has sunglasses, but they are not as effective as decent goggles particularly if the light is poor (or in strong sunlight). So if you do go for sunglasses I would still recommend some goggles as well (they are after all easier to keep clear in rain or snow).

So to clarify my post above, mid-range (£35) goggles which fit over standard glasses would still be my preference.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Get contact lenses.

Kids (and adults) with glasses look like losers and get bullied.

Much better to dig deep and buy contacts.
latest report
Whitegold,
Quote:

Much better

Not for the eyes, it isn't.
snow report
Whitegold, Ah, but not everyone can wear contact lenses Cool

snowHead
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Get contact lenses.

I disagree. I don't think I look like a loser in glasses, and I've had plenty of unsolicited positive feedback from various girls/women when I do wear them. I wear both contacts and glasses (not at the same time though wink ) and don't recall being bullied for wearing glasses.
Contact lenses are a lot more fun when it's raining (and I always wear them on the slopes), but I think you'll find that most people wearing glasses will resent being told that they "look like losers", and you may lose out as a result.

Finally, if that's what it took to get Vanessa Paradis would look at me like that, I'd wear glasses every day of my life...
snow conditions
Shallimus wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Get contact lenses.

I disagree. I don't think I look like a loser in glasses, and I've had plenty of unsolicited positive feedback from various girls/women when I do wear them. I wear both contacts and glasses (not at the same time though wink ) and don't recall being bullied for wearing glasses.

As for "digging deep", it may not be a question of money. Contact lenses aren't suitable for most children under 16, as they probably won't have developed the necessary hygiene skills / discipline. For convenience, I always wear contacts on the slopes, but I think you'll find that most people wearing glasses will resent being told that they "look like losers". On the other hand, Whitegold, if you have ever been bullied for wearing glasses, you have my sympathy.

Finally, if that's what it took to get Vanessa Paradis would look at me like that, I'd wear glasses every day of my life Razz
ski holidays
Thanks all for your advice, i have options now which is good. My Daughter is too young to wear contacts and she DOES NOT look like a loser nor is she bullied, rather a silly comment for a genuine question. Whitegold, if that is your rational for what makes a loser, you need to sort your head out !
snow conditions
Libertine, Ignore him, he trolls like that all the time rolling eyes . Glad you got plenty of good advice to work with.
snow report
Libertine, As holidayloverxx, there are a certain element to most forums, inc. this one that it is better just to just ignore. You may be interested to know that as an adult I have contacts, prescription sunnies and goggles that go over glasses.

For you daughter of course contacts are out, but if you can run to it how about getting some prescription sunnies (pick a style with a largish lens) and a cheaper pair of over the glasses goggles. I'll tell you why.

Out of choice I tend to ski in my prescription sunnies on blue sky days, however, on the more filthy days when it is slinging the ice about in the wind goggles over the glasses do seem to have the advantage (they can be mildly uncomfy where they pass over the arms of the specs so try a few pairs if you have the option). However, if it is very 'damp' in the air or the child is working hard the googles over glasses option can steam up. So I tend to carry both options with me when I'm out on the slopes.

Fwiw I also try skiing in the contacts and goggles, but because I can't wear them reguarly (eye reasons) I find when I do put them in there can be problems with them drying out particularly with the goggles over the top as I think the lack of air flow means that I probably don't blink as often. That said, they are an option once daughter becomes old enough and depending on conditions can work fine. Unfortunately you will probably end up carrying an assortment of specs/goggles to cope with going into restaurants out of the daylight, but that's just the cross those of us with specs bear. To cut down on specs carried I wonder if you could get her a set of reactalites for the days she doesn't wear the goggles - mind you they would probably even work under a plain set of goggles too - in fact that's not such a bad idea the next time I change my own specs!! They wouldn't need changing when you pop inside. Most spec shops seem to be able to put whatever coating you need onto specs these days - I bet you could get reactalite finish on kids specs.

However, I've never seen the use of reactalite lenses on the slopes discussed here - Snowheads!! do any of you use these and are they dark enough to be safe in the snow?

Hope these observations are useful
ski holidays
Megamum, I have Reactions lenses in my glasses and they don't go dark enough, in my experience, to ski in. Fine for reading on a sunny terrace though Very Happy
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Libertine, Ignore him, he trolls like that all the time rolling eyes . Glad you got plenty of good advice to work with.

Not trolling.

It's a fact, treacle.

Glasses advertize that someone has a disability.

If a boar ran past two cavemen, the hunter with the better eyesight will see it best and have a superior chance of catching it and feeding his offspring.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold, but the vain caveman who refuses to wear the glasses will get a mammoth up the khyber...
latest report
stoatsbrother, That might a way of us recognising Whitegold!!!
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

You are a nob!! You have a disibility insofar as tat you do not know how to present yourself. i'd rather wear glasses than be like you. so, in your "eyes", pretending not to have sight issues, shows you as being very shallow. But hey, you are probably quite UGLY (certainly in the written word) which in your shallow world is important. Put a picture of you here and we'll vote who has the greater disability - you or someone who wears glasses....... I dout that you will.
snow report
Whitegold, I know you and I have some sort of understanding on here so sorry, but I've got to say it.

It's hardly fair to launch into a relative newcomer to the forum so soon - a new name often means some interesting new information and questions, don't drive them away before we've had a chance to get to know them. The rest of us are used to you and know when to hit the 'ignore' button and can distinguish this from the odd times when its generally useful to read your point of view - it can take someone new rather longer to become used to your 'style' of posting. Come on, play the game. Ease off a bit and give Libertine a chance to get the information they came for, before you have your fun.

From a clearly disabled spectacle wearer!! snowHead
snow conditions
Megamum, I think Libertine hit the nail on the head bigtime anyways... Its a clear sign of weakness when someone needs to get his/her rush from forums in the way of Whitegold.

Oh, i'm also clearly disabled... I have very sharp vision, but see absolutely nada in sunlight without major sunnies.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Not trolling.

It's a fact, treacle.

If a boar ran past two cavemen, the hunter with the better eyesight will see it best and have a superior chance of catching it and feeding his offspring.

You could argue - and I would - that consistently trolling on forums advertises that someone is socially impaired; far more serious than imperfect eyesight, I'm thinking, as it can't be fixed with a trip to the optician or by "digging deep". You have offered your thoughts, and found no takers, so let it go. If you truly feel the need to get your kicks by clumsily attempting to insult people over the internet, then I suggest that you really ought to get out more.

One more thing: if you'd ever seen a boar in real life, you would know that it would take more than good eyesight to turn it into dinner - you will also need to be extremely brave, strong, fast and capable of teamwork...

Libertine, don't forget to ask your optician about putting anti-fog coating on your daughter's glasses, if it's available as an option...?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy