Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Check whether your guest card gets you ski hire and/or lift pass discounts. If so, make sure you get it and present it when buying. We pretty much made up our 3CHF a night guest tax using the card- which we'd have forgotten to do but the woman at the desk reminded us.

Seems obvious, and the discounts aren't huge but easy to miss/forget, and they can add up - esp. for families.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skanky - where were you?

I'm off to Davos on Friday, would this trick work there as well?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was in Laax.

It should work as whenever you stay in Switzerland you *have* to pay 3CHF a night visitors' tax a night, per person. This is *normally* included in the hotel bill, and often in the apartment bill - otherwise it's paid on top on arrival.

The tax is supposed to pay for schemes that reduce the tourist impact on the area in which you're staying (whether it actually does, I'm not sure).

Most resorts give you a visitor's card when you pay the tax, and have negotiated discounts with various businesses on presentation of the card.

What discounts will probably vary on the resort - and their usefulness can be debatable. We only got CHF15 (roughly UKP7) for the lift pass, but the tax came to CHF21 for the week anyway, so we only needed to make up 6CHF over the rest of the week (easily done if you use local swimming pools, saunas, etc.).

Check with the tourist office, they'll be only too happy to let you know.

Incidentally, I quite liked Davos, though I'm never that enthused about resorts with split ski areas (main reason we didn't go to Lenzerheide). It does have the only t-bar I've seen that gives you permission to get off half-way up though. I didn't understand the sign, thought it had said don't get off and was faced with my most difficult descent until Schweg at Flims on Friday (both runs harder than Face at Val d'Isere, Schweg mainly due to ice, lack of snow and numbers of people on it).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll look out for a visitor's card when I book in, and try a find out if I can get any discounts from the places we go - lift pass, ski hire etc.

This is my first time in Davos - and I'm greatly looking forward to it. I've had a weekend already in Januray which only served to whet the appetite. I've been trying (with a little success from being busy at work) to put the trip to the back of my mind - if only someone had warned me that skiing was so addictive!

We're hiring a car for the week so hopefully this will allow us to drive to and from the different areas. I'll try to write a little trip report when I get back - unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much discussion of Swiss resorts on here!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Note: I have different usernames at work and home!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Usually the local tourist office will have a list of discounts available to people with a visitors card, discounts vary and what you can get a discount on also varies so don't expect to get a discounted skipass everywhere however you may get reduced rates at the local pool or cinema instead.

Speaking of Davos I once had a red squirrel run up my leg and sit on my knee whilst I fead it nuts on a walking path above Davos one summer/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know it got a slagging off at the other place, but I did quite enjoy Verbier. I think our antics at the Farm Club may have had something to do with it, and the fact that the police were very understanding (although they might not have been, had they seen our reenaction of Fight Club in one of the car parks - hilarious!)

D G Orf, Perhaps you should keep your flies done up next time??? Razz
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masopa I knew that would get a coment Razz , the nuts in question were obtained at the local supermarket with the specific aim of feeding the squirrels, who that year were especially tame rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Razz Razz
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
RichL wrote:
I'll look out for a visitor's card when I book in, and try a find out if I can get any discounts from the places we go - lift pass, ski hire etc.

This is my first time in Davos - and I'm greatly looking forward to it. I've had a weekend already in Januray which only served to whet the appetite. I've been trying (with a little success from being busy at work) to put the trip to the back of my mind - if only someone had warned me that skiing was so addictive!

We're hiring a car for the week so hopefully this will allow us to drive to and from the different areas. I'll try to write a little trip report when I get back - unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much discussion of Swiss resorts on here!

If you do get to Lenzerheide, I'd love to hear about it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went to Flims last year and would second the reminder about the card.

But I've been to Klosters and Cran-Montana in recent years and they didn't give me a guest cards. I just presumed it depended on the resort.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm pretty sure that the tax is mandatory, so I assumed the card was (though I didn't get one in Luzern, Zurich or Bellinzona when I went there one summer) Embarassed . I did think you need to ask for one (maybe at the tourist info.) in some places, esp. if in a hotel. However I could be wrong and it would be good if someone could give me a definitive answer.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In Wengen I think all the hotels and most of the chalets hand them out when you book in, but I guess it depends where you are
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you book an aopartment through Interhome, they will give you discount on lift passes. In Crans Montana it's 12% I think, so well worth having.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just got back from Davos (returned on Sat 21) - the apartment provider gave us a small blue/white card that gave free train/bus trravel around all the slopes, from Madresa to Glaris.
Used it on the train back from Kublis and the guard decided it was valid for free travel Kublis-Davos Dorf too, even tho it wasn't !

No-one checks for them on the resort buses anyway, but worth asking for if you head out and plan to use a train there/back.

Slopes off the back of Parsenn, down to Kloster/kublis excellent; if using the blacks off the top of Parsenn, do them in the morning - they get sun 1pm on and ice over quickly.

Parsennbahn train up mountain gets v busy from 9.15 - 9.30am on - this appears to be when the skischools all turn up. Madresa - get there early - pre 9am if poss, same reason. Others all ok.
latest report
The pool in Grindelwald is free with guest card.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy