Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prevention of knee injuries ?

Poster: A snowHead
CEM, thanks so much for those details, will certainly use these clare mcbride, My husband has had 3 arthroscopies, 2 on the same knee, and 1 on the other, all for meniscus tears; tidying up the tear edges, flushing out debris and smoothing off roughened arthritic surfaces. And I had an arthroscopy for a meniscus tear 2 months before my husband's last one, and I have grade 3 - 4 arthritis in 2 places, so we really are on borrowed time as skiers, and know all about painful knees!!! We have been told that partial knee replacements are the next step to get rid of the constant pain and stiffness, but the thought of dying from MRSA means this will be a very, very last resort. Before our last hols we did as everyone on here, and our consultant (who is a skier) has suggested, and spent months at the gym to make sure our leg muscles were as fit as they could be to support the knee structure. We both came back with very sore, stiff knees, but managed 4 days skiing (then we used Snowbikes Very Happy ). We did wear knee supports (the neoprene ones with metal stays-but no hinges) and my husband feels they really do help. We chose a wrap around design that allowed you to adjust the tension a little better than the pull on sleeve type, and it has extra elastic straps that criss crossed around the joint, but no buttress around the knee cap, as this can cause problems if your knee cap doesn't need it.

The only thing that really gets rid of the pain for us now is having a steroid injection into the knee joint about a week before we go skiing, drastic we know, and long term can cause joint deterioration, but as we see it, the joint is shot anyway, so might as well hold out pain-free as long as possible, as new knees have a life span of only 10-15 years, and not going Snowbiking isn't an option! Madeye-Smiley

Take care of your knees, like backs, you don't realise how much you depend on them until they go wrong! Sad

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 18-08-08 22:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rayscoops said,
Quote:

also ....... do not get pissed and slip on the way home after the apres

how true. Several friends of mine have hurt their knees that way - or broken wrists or ankles! My most scary moment in an average day's skiing is walking down the snowy/icy steps and across the road in front of the restaurant; once on the piste I feel a lot more relaxed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CEM wrote:
...do 15 every day for a week,

Disagree... the most important part of exercise is recovery. I would suggest once every 3 days for 3 months.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sharon1953, gosh, that really does put yer average twinge into perspective. Respect.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM, a naïve question Embarassed that I'm been wanting to ask for a while. I've read (several times) the pages on your hidden link and I always read this "Flexibility is one of the five main motoric forms of exertion and stretching the key" and wonder what the other four are. Presumably one is "strengthening" but then... Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
red 27, it is a progressive exercise increasing in intensity over a period of 3 weeks, it also relys to an extent on muscle memory which at approx 2.5 hours has to be trained in. the physios i work with would have their pro sports men doing 3 sets every day, for the recreational user i use 1 set, there is no weight involved only that of the body so there should be no problem
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sharon1953, l don't know what to say, comparing myself to you two, l have nothing to worry about. l admire your love for the sport, the work and effort you've made to keep enjoying it and doing it. The more l learn about this game, the more l realise so much l don't know, especially, knees. Mine sore at the mo, thing is l've gone down the orthotic road, maybe treadmill analysis the next thing ? Sure l've tried a 100 diff. ways of walking. Feel l regularly move in ways which upset it, and removing the habitual movement, once l know what it is, is surely the first step ? Confused
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clare mcbride, understanding which muscle are weak and which are tight will help you see where the problems are coming from, video analysis if done properly will give you that information, along with exercises to resolve the issues [assuming they can be dealt with by muscle training]
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clare mcbride, Yes, things like foot beds will certainly help correct any misalignment, but you have to use them religiously in all your footwear, and that’s the problem, especially for women. Unless you are prepared to wear identical foot wear, day in day out, you would need to have any number of beds made to fit each type of shoe, as for instance trainers already have built up arches, and this totally changes the way the beds fit. And flip flops are out, so half the time you end up thinking...well I’ll just go without them today.... The odd thing is, NHS hospitals seem to work in reverse, they operate first, then suggest physio, and then foot beds when all else doesn’t work; to me that seems back to front. But you can’t repair damaged cartilage, only tidy it up (well you can have some meniscus tears repaired, depends on where they are and how large). It’s a constant battle with wear and tear (tear being appropriate in this case) fighting the ageing process, and the fact that we were never designed to walk upright! My father-in-law is 85, never done a days exercise in his life, led a very sedentary life, and is complaining that he has just started with muscle aches in his legs... there really is no justice! Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM, lf l came to Bicester, is video analysis part of what you do ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been writing a series of articles about this on my page Fitness Page on Examiner.com

http://www.examiner.com/x-618-Colorado-Mountain-Fitness-Examiner~y2008m8d28-After-the-fall-A-fitness-plan-for-safe-skiing
As someone mentioned, stay out of the back seat of follow the Vermont Ski safety Guidelines. Also, be sure to work your hamstrings, and avoid excessive imbalances between the hamstrings and quads.[/code]
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lisamer, excellent summary and well written article, please post anything else you write up Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lisamer, Great info. saved it in faves, cheers
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lisamer, is the swiss-ball hamstring curl a static exercise or does one move the feet back and forward?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lisamer, fascinating, thank you.
latest report
Lisamer, Thanks for that, I never thought of looking on YouTube for ski fitness stuff, was amazed what was on there!
snow report
Lisamer,

From the link you posted .....

Quote:
Being Female: The “Q Angle,” which refers to the angle between the hip and the knee is steeper in women, making the knee cap more prone to sliding.

but "Q Angle" ? I'm still looking for the G-Spot. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
DB, Very Happy LMAO, that's just made my day, after all the doom and gloom on break fast news, thank you!!!
ski holidays
red 27, back and forward i believe. also try it with one foot on top of the other it becomes much harder...
snow conditions
DB, skimottaret, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Girls, looks like we should all be on the pill. snowHead
ski holidays
pam w, must say that DB's and skimottaret's posts taken together, did look a bit alarming. Shocked
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
red 27, back and forward i believe. also try it with one foot on top of the other it becomes much harder...

Yes but what about the balance ball exercise?
snow report
DB wrote:
Lisamer,

From the link you posted .....

Quote:
Being Female: The “Q Angle,” which refers to the angle between the hip and the knee is steeper in women, making the knee cap more prone to sliding.

but "Q Angle" ? I'm still looking for the G-Spot. Toofy Grin

Darn, DB! I've missed you! Very Happy
ski holidays
skimottaret, lordy, tried it today, one foot on top of t-other resulted in swiss ball pinging off humiliatingly accross the gym floor.

I hate hamstring exercises, they always feel like they're 'shortening' the muscle - the opposite of increasing flexibility if you know what I mean.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy