Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarding Armour/Wrist Guards/Padding

Poster: A snowHead
Kruisler, bonce is slang for head Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shallimus,

Thanks. I had guessed then, but was not sure...

Not sure if CAN CANVINGTON 's post was ironic (as per mine) or not....

If not, I shall ambush him next time he is biking in my neck of the woods! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I bought a helmet as a skier after being mowed down from behind by a young chap in Courchevel last January. I was cruising down a nice red piste minding my own business when whoosh he hit me right in my back with his chest and sent me flying. My hat and goggles got dragged off in the snow and had quite a slide on the back of my head so it made me think "What if?" I like wearing mine and it's ever so comfy plus lhas loads of vents so it doesn't get too hot. I'll definitely be using it for boarding as well. I was glad I had a helmet on last week (albeit a rental one this time-Paaawwrgh the stench!!!) because when I fell backwards my head cracked on the ground too, enough to feel that without a helmet on would have reaaaaaallllly hurt and possibly done some damage so just as well I had to wear it even though it stunk. Shocked

Behold! The protection purchases have been made! I've bought some Flexmeter Double Wrist Guarded Gloves, some impact shorts and some knee pads. The knee pads were only a tenner from Bargain Boards so not bad at all, the shorts were quite pricey as were the gloves but I don't mind that. Glad I've got the stuff now as I'll wear the gloves for skiing anyway and possibly the impact shorts if they fit under my Freethinker pants sensibly. That will be another thing, I'll probably need a bigger size ski trousers now to fit the shorts in! Hopefully not though.

I will feedback eventually what a difference it has all made after having a complete pummelling at the Snowdome last week. Black bruises on knees, back bottom and hips so far as well as this broken wrist so I'll see what a difference it makes. Obviously we won't know if the gloves will stop a broken wrist again if I fall on it again but at least it reduces the risk of it happening anyway although does not eliminate it completely.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 15-08-08 16:28; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Hopefully not though.

Wrong! any excuse to buy more gear is good!!!

Having bought virtually everything last year, I am now in the process of trying to find excuses to sell further purchases of gear to the wife! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kruisler, thing is I like these Freethinker pants and don't want to change them! I just hope the shorts fit in. I will have to lose some weight off the backside to improve the chances of this.

Saying that I could always have a skiing pair and a boarding pair in a bigger size to accomodate the shorts.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
or quit skiing?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stab, Noooooooooooo!! I've only started the boarding for my second discipline and have had quite a lot of bad luck with it so far right from the beginning (see my Snowboarding as a Second Discipline thread). So I have no intention of going over to the dark side completely. I will just merely be merging in and out. Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
oh god, one of those half breeds.
I myself am a competent skier Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stab, are you now? wink Do you ski and board in the same week away or do you just take one or t'other with you? Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
stab, Noooooooooooo!! I've only started the boarding for my second discipline and have had quite a lot of bad luck with it so far right from the beginning (see my Snowboarding as a Second Discipline thread).

that thread reads just like any learner, expect a pile of crap at the beginning then it's easy, I nearly quit it as I just couldnt do it. Sounds to me from that thread you can do your turns but maybe your top half isnt turning so the board will pick up speed then you ride up on the tail and lose control. Imagine holding a tray of drinks in front of you, wherever you want to go to serve drinks twist your top half towards the imaginary person. And bend your knees, makes the falls easier. And dont lean back Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
stab, are you now? wink Do you ski and board in the same week away or do you just take one or t'other with you? Laughing

I skied for 20 minutes total in my life, always hated on skiing, then tried it out of boredom on a lunch break, mastered it then decided it wasn't very interesting for me.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Kruisler, thing is I like these Freethinker pants and don't want to change them!

Who said anything about changing?
Quote:
Saying that I could always have a skiing pair and a boarding pair in a bigger size to accomodate the shorts.

There you go, that's the spirit! Toofy Grin

I am a "half-breed", and love to be able to switch at will... better at skiing actually but loving learning my new trade..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stab, I got the turns sorted now on "snow" at the Snowdome last week, they are now nice big S shaped curves.

It was going swimmingly too until I fell back and did this. Never mind, I'll keep on going though as it's easier and nicer on nice soft snow in resort (or so people tell me anyway) besides I've just bought a board, boots and bindings cheap in the summer sales to start me off when I go to Tignes in December and have unwrapped it all too before I went to the Snowdome last week-so there's no going back now!

One thing I have noticed though is that perhaps my toe to heel edge transitions are a bit hasty whereas the heel to toe transitions are ok. Thought it might be because on a heel to toe transition I'm facing forwards when I start the turn and when I'm going round the turn I'm facing up the mountain instead of down it. It's like I don't "like" going from toe to heel and therefore rush it a bit to get onto the heel edge asap.

Personally I like my feet on two separate planks and like facing forwards. Laughing wink

Saying that, the walking up slopes in snowboard boots-what bliss! Lovely and comfortable aren't they?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I've just bought a board, boots and bindings cheap in the summer sales

I didn't know that, what'd ya get?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Swirly, well, I got some Salomon Ivy women's boots for £105, some Flow Amp 5L Bindings for £80 (based on seeing how easy it was for david@mediacopy to get his feet in and out of his Flows compared to the ratchet bindings on my rental board) and I got a Salomon Pulse board for £140. So all in all £325 for that lot. I know the board hasn't got an extruded base but for all that lot the price wasn't bad I thought and also the bindings are intermediate level so say and thought I would progress into them so to speak, especially considering how quick people improve on boards compared to skiing.

What do you think?

Oh of course most importantly it all matches too. wink Laughing rolling eyes I love the snot green colour on the base of the board.
latest report
I definitely wanted to get my own boots anyway as it's just nice to have them and more comfortable, and thought I could spend £100 on a week's hire of a board and boots so thought I'd have my money back in 3 weeks like. This kit will do me for years anyway what with only doing it as a side line. Must say it does look very nice in my front room at the mo awaiting the bindings to be fitted (when arm is better!). Laughing
snow report
I don't like Flow but if you though helmets were controversial that's nothing compared to Flow!

But I'm sure the rest will be fine, I think the Ivy boots are quite popular, seems like a good price for the lot, I spent almost that much on a board for last season!
snow report
Swirly, how come you don't like Flow? You can PM me if you like and tell me so it doesn't kick off another controversial thread. I was going to get Burton Stiletto's but couldn't find any Black mediums around at the time (I see looking around last night on the web they are available now) and also glad I didn't get them after trying the ratchet bindings at the Snowdome. To be honest I got chuffed off with the ratcheting after a couple of days and saw David's Flows were real easy to use. I suppose what you gain with one you lose with the other and vice versa.

Quote:

I think the Ivy boots are quite popular

Yeah I did quite a bit of research on the boots and have to say the boots are spot on, Salomon are nice and narrow to suit my feet so that's why I went for them, I found some of the others a bit too wide around the heel cup.

Quote:

seems like a good price for the lot, I spent almost that much on a board for last season!

I know! The board cost £140 as I said so that's not a lot really is it in the grand scheme of things re snowsports and I spent £400 on my Scott Missions earlier this year reduced from £600 so I could easily spend that kind of money on skis, so can see how you could spend £300 on a new board. I thought £140 was plenty for a board just for my own pottering around on to get my BASI Level 1 in it. It just saves all the hassle of hiring here and there and then I can come and go half a day here and there swapping over if I want. Plus I can carry both sets of equipment in the car to Tignes and have the choice of tool for the day Laughing Laughing wink
ski holidays
Swirly wrote:
I don't like Flow but if you though helmets were controversial that's nothing compared to Flow!

me neither, wait until the little pin comes out of the high back and you die, probably.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Swirly, well, I got some Salomon Ivy women's boots for £105, some Flow Amp 5L Bindings for £80 (based on seeing how easy it was for david@mediacopy to get his feet in and out of his Flows compared to the ratchet bindings on my rental board) and I got a Salomon Pulse board for £140. So all in all £325 for that lot. I know the board hasn't got an extruded base but for all that lot the price wasn't bad I thought and also the bindings are intermediate level so say and thought I would progress into them so to speak, especially considering how quick people improve on boards compared to skiing.

What do you think?

Oh of course most importantly it all matches too. wink Laughing rolling eyes I love the snot green colour on the base of the board.

Good work Very Happy The Flow's will do you fine for a while and sound a good deal.
snow report
stab wrote:
Swirly wrote:

me neither, wait until the little pin comes out of the high back and you die, probably.

Gee thanks! Tell me what's wrong with them then! They haven't arrived yet, I can always send them back and get the Burton Stilettos with cap strap now they have got Black Medium's available.

I'm worried they're going to fall off when I'm going along now! What evidence is there about the pin coming out? Got any links?
snow conditions
hahaha.
much as I hate to say it they are better than the stilettos, you'll probably be fine with them. The only problems I ever see with flows is the pin coming out. easily fixed though and not very life threatening. Beats straps snapping all over the place which is the other alternative Smile
If the pin does come out the cable kind of holds you in anyway, I would ignore me.
latest report
stab wrote:
hahaha.
much as I hate to say it they are better than the stilettos, you'll probably be fine with them. The only problems I ever see with flows is the pin coming out. easily fixed though and not very life threatening. Beats straps snapping all over the place which is the other alternative Smile
If the pin does come out the cable kind of holds you in anyway, I would ignore me.

Oh good. Shocked Anyway it's not as if I'm going to be stomping on the ground after landing a tail grab or 'owt anyway. Laughing

I just want them for some pleasant cruising around the pistes and later on in life, a bit of off piste.

Anyway, why are they better than the Stilletto then? When I've finished with the Flows what binding would you recommend for me? Does it matter if I get a women's binding or not realistically? Them Amp 5 Flows aren't bad for £80 are they?

And you're right, I guess the straps on a ratchet binding could always come undone same risk as the pin coming out of the Flows.
snow report
the straps on rachet bindings snap whenever they feel like it, coming undone is quite rare unless iced up/worn teeth.

The stiletto is IMO quite an entry level womans binding. Normally women have calf muscles lower than men, which is why the highbacks are lower for women.

If you hit the off piste in the flows good luck getting them on in powder, I don't see how people do it.
If you want to cruise the piste without any pain in the feet all day then the flows will do you ok, I couldnt recommend anything as I ride like a box of frogs and like everything to bend to the point of breaking. If it's just the thought of not having to click the straps all the time then K2 cinch are decent.

Strangely this seasons flow M9, NXT FS, and team have a tiny piece connecting the 2 straps together, compared to the older flows that had a whopping great big sandle strap thing.
snow conditions
stab, so that's a yes to get women's bindings and these Flows will do nicely for now apart from I might have a bit of trouble getting them on in the off piste?

Quote:

Strangely this seasons flow M9, NXT FS, and team have a tiny piece connecting the 2 straps together, compared to the older flows that had a whopping great big sandle strap thing.

So is that better or worse? Puzzled

P.S Does anyone know how I can watch Ed Lee's Siberia to Sahara A Snowboarders Odyssey? I've mentioned it in the other thread as want to see what Japan is like again. snowHead
snow conditions
dunno if it's better or worse, just seems strange the big drama with flows is the pain people get from straps, then flow change to an almost strap design.

womens bindings, yes normally. I say normally because not everyone is normal Smile Off piste, think about it, the back comes down, how does that work in the powder?
snow report
stab, dunno haven't thought that far ahead as I've got to get sorted on piste first for a while! I think I read on here somewhere that someone uses Flow off piste ok. I will soon find out won't I.
snow conditions
Quote:

tried it out of boredom on a lunch break, mastered it

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think not.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
well I guess it was technically skiing as in I was on skis and moving. Pointless way of getting around a mountain if you ask me, which nobody did. Smile
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
stab, so that's a yes to get women's bindings and these Flows will do nicely for now apart from I might have a bit of trouble getting them on in the off piste?
stab wrote:

So is that better or worse? Puzzled

I have Flow M9s, which I love. I doubt the connected all-in-one strap (which Flow calls the I-flex Powerstrap in my case, or the X-flex for the Amp 5L) makes a great deal of difference, but I reckon it can't be a bad thing to have a single piece of material holding your foot in place, as it may distribute force more easily onto the top of your boot...? As I've never had other Flow bindings I can't offer a true comparison.

Ignore the Flow nay-sayers, they're just bitter at the amount of time they waste strapping in and out Laughing

stab wrote:
womens bindings, yes normally. I say normally because not everyone is normal Off piste, think about it, the back comes down, how does that work in the powder?

True, this might possibly have been an issue in deep powpow with older / entry-level Flow bindings (like the previous incarnations of the Flite series), but not with my pair, nor with VolklAttivaS5's Amp 5Ls. These models (in fact I think all current Flow bindings?) have quick-release ratchets on the foot-strap thing (yep, the I-flex Powerpuff Girl or whatever it is). If the worst comes to worst, you can leave the high-back locked in the 'up' position and use them like normal bindings. It's not quite as easy as regular two-strap bindings, but the other advantages more than make up for it. I can attest that this method of strapping in does work (having bailed out spectacularly in some deep n' fluffy more than once).
snow report
Ride bindings, the way forward. I got a pair of Ride DVa a while ago at a very good end of season price, most excellent.
snow report
Lizzard, I've heard good things, and they do look very adjustable.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy