Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

pros and cons of these resorts?

Poster: A snowHead
Some Big White piccies:

Big White high street wink

Skiing through the trees

Night skiing

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go to Red Mountan, no lift ques, and you'll either die or come back a skiing Jedi!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bones wrote:
colors, Lift line at Harmony Chair taken March 16th Shocked

I seem to remember this lift being the only lift to get back up the mountain to ride Harmony Bowl, so if it closed for bad weather for a while people have the choice to go back down the mountain on a cat track or wait it out for a while for it to re-open, possibly this was the case. Having been there at a very busy time a few years ago during Presidents week the queues were generally quite long though. One thing that I noted out there was that because W/B is basically two big hills, is that the chair lifts etc seemed to go on for ever and ever (compared with the shorter but multiple chairlift rides in Europe that are restricted at times due to the topography), which again adds to the bottle neck queues imv

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That Harmony photo is taken at a very specific time of day too - maybe 1/2- 3/4 hour after the lift has opened on a powder day I'd guess - lots of people still arriving from the main mountain while those that have knocked a couple of laps off still piling in from the right. Note a lot of people binning it off who've had their fun to go to Emerald (bad idea) or the always empty chair if they've sense.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
haha i think i would more than likely die at red mountain that come back a jedi from what ive read about it. big white does sound great, strangely though why isnt it in any of the uk ski brochures? isnt that a bit odd? i know that picture from whistler is probably just on a certain day at a certain time of the year but my god its big. lake louise pics look good too, stuarth, are you trin to say lake louise looks as empty as it does because it wasnt exactly a powder day whereas whistler was just white everywhere?

cheers guys for your help been great
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
colors wrote:
big white does sound great, strangely though why isnt it in any of the uk ski brochures? isnt that a bit odd?

Puzzled SkiWorld, Ski Independence, Frontier Ski? Up until last year, SCGB had a rep there for a few weeks during the year and is also normally included in one of their holidays. Of course if you want to go somewhere where there's hordes of Brits........I've heard Whistler is quite good wink Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, it may have been a powder day but with no access to the bowl until later in the day due to winds or bad visibility, which seemed to happen quite often, every one heads down there when the lifts open, has a few runs and then there is a mad rush to get one last run before the lift shuts at 3.30. It should be noted thatn the Harmony bowl is a huge off piste style area with everyone heading for the last lift back up the mountain at the end of the day
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cathy........... or hordes of aussies .......called Big White wink Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
whistler as I remembered it

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
luigi, NehNeh true for the workers there for sure! But most of the people we met when skiing were American or Canadian Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
that pic of whistler is bloody awesome, im like a kid at christmas want to be there right now
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops,
Harmony also gets busy because it's normally the first of the "alpine" lifts to open after avalanche control before the peak gets opened up.

Was the picture above Symphony bowl?
colors, this was what I meant by being able to go somewhere with a few trees to get you used to the idea without needing to do a more hardcore gladed run. Relatively speaking it's fairly flat (hence the local name of Sympathy bowl), but definitely good intermediate terrain and high enough to normally have good snow. Kind of gives you the feeling of tree skiing (and the definition) but without too much chance of actually hitting a tree! Shocked snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stuarth, that is what I thought regarding Harmony, lots of peeps waiting to head that way, hence the bottlenecks. Over the couse of a normal day the queues were not like the ones in the picture

I think it well might have been Symphony, off to the right a bit after the wide open space. Harmony was not open much when I was there due to the fact that it dumped pow every day !! The bowls were great for me as a fairly new boarder getting used to safe 'off-piste' type conditions Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to let you know guys, the pic was taken on a Sunday at around 13.30 Smile and the lift hadnt just opened. Before the masses every got into Symphony Bowl wink

From our position in the queue we waited approx 25 mins before we got to the front Shocked Generally most of the trip we had really bad lift queues but this was one of the worst hence the pic. Whistler was extremely busy for the two weeks we were there - tis was the start of our 2nd week. The reason for the volume of people was down to Spring Break both in Canada and the US, the place was pretty full with Americans too. After speaking to numerous people in resort they basically recomended avoiding March due to the crowds.

Fro the whole two weeks it rained in resort every day, and didnt dump powder every day as many people say or think. We had a couple of days of fresh dumps as you can see from the top of the lift station. Generally the Vis on the mountain was foggy or misty if it wasnt raining !! The only places the rain turned to snow/sleet /hail was going up into the Alpine, top of Harmony( Whistler) or 7th Heaven and around Horstman ( Blackcomb ) After this trip we said we wouldnt bother about going back Shocked

However we did return after friends told us to go earlier in the year, we went back in January. The lift queues were much improved Very Happy snow conditions were better but nowhere near perfect, after a warm front decended the snow went to ice crystals. After this time Im not too bothered if we dont go back as theres plenty of places to ski around the world.

Whistler has some great terrain, theres no denying, but I dont think it deserves the hype it gets and the fact it was designed by skiers for skiers ( their marketing ) I think some things need attention. The bottlenecks on the mountain for one.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
haha just as i seem to like the idea of whistler someone else says it aint that good. dont think i have ever seen or heard of a resort that divides people so much. seems to be you either love it or hate it and its a lot of money to find out which side your on isnt it really
snow report
colors, like everything, you don't know until you've tried it and your opinion will probably vary greatly from the next person's. And if you don't go to Whistler you'll always be wondering if you should go. We've never been, but then we've just never particularly fancied it. Whatever it's like, you would have a great time skiing there I'm sure snowHead
latest report
Whistler IS a ski area designed for skiers. There's no denying it. And a nice base area with vibrant apres.

The one thing the "designer" can't do anything about is the snow QUALITY. It's got plenty of snow alright, just moisture laden heavy stuff. I doubt it's any worse than the Alps. But definitely not the fluffy kind in the Rockies. Though if you're a on-piste skier, you probably won't notice the difference.

Crowds (and expensive). Crowds is something that could happen in ANY resort, if you're unlucky. If you stop and think for a moment. Why do you think the crowds are there when there're other resorts around? wink

It boils down to what do you care MORE: the crowd? Or what draw the crowd there in the first place.
latest report
colors, you seem more cofused now than when you started this thread Sad

I think for a first time to Canada, it's a two-way match between Whistler and Banff/Lake Louise, I plumped for the latter because Whistler seemed too much like something you could find cheaper in Europe (purpose-built mega-resort) whereas the Banff area seemed more quintessentially Canadian with the awesome scenery, rocky mountain powder, national park status, non-skiing activities and the possibility of visiting different ski areas.

Though if it's all about the convenient skiing and the vertical, I can see the attraction of Whistler.
snow report
well thats the thing, there seems to be more to do in the way of off slope activities in whistler than banff. seems to have everything banff has plus ziptrekking. i am confused about whistler as ive never heard so many good/bad contrasting reports on one resort
ski holidays
colors, seems to me that those who like Whistler, like it because it is the biggest, probably most complete ski destination in North America (snow quality issues aside). Those that don't, because they can see it's become a bit of a victim of it's own success and can't really cope with the people it attracts.

So, it sounds like you want to try it, so go in January, avoid the worst crowds and it should be cold enough to snow right down to resort level and you'll have a blast! snowHead snowHead
latest report
colors,

Whistler = Mega resort, mass of foriegn and local workers and visitors with huge ski terrain good snow record and a busier weekend than other resorts in canada due to its proximity to Vancover ( A much bigger city than calgary). Amazing skiing great convinience modern lifts, great rental shops and everything your little heart could desire. 1 option to fly inot Vancover. Snow garuntee but weather can be bad alot (Low visibility,rain in the village(sometimes) but mostly snow & if you have the right kit wont be a problem and a great choice of places to stay, shop and eat

Banff: Very Canadian resort set in the most stunning scenery in the world with plenty to do on/off piste and on and off the snow. Very local not as much vertical as whistleer & no where near the convineince but amazing locals much more sceninc with more wildlife and local flavour. Modern lifts great and efficent ski bus and rental shops. 2 options to fly to Edmenton/Calgary, shorter transfer and smaller weekend crowds but same great snow. Not as great a variety of hotels and shops but no shortage of good food stops Better weather in general more chance of sun!

Happy choosing
snow report
Yep, Big White would suit your needs very well i.e. tons of intermediate terrain, ski in/out, zero queues (and I mean zero) if you avoid major holidays. You could combine it with a trip to Silver Star if you're there for a couple of weeks. Snow will be great throughout Jan/Feb and not too cold. Let me know if you need further info.
snow report
uktrailmonster, We are thinking about Big White for March - will check out your website. I assume it's your place?
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
uktrailmonster, We are thinking about Big White for March - will check out your website. I assume it's your place?

Yes indeed. Snowhead discount available of course. We'll be going ourselves sometime in March, but not sure when yet.
We've found it to be a less stressful resort than the mega resorts like Whistler. Skiing is pretty laid back, with lots of dry powder and great tree lined runs. Lots of fun inbounds off-piste too for the slightly more adventurous. A great place to learn powder skiing without any worries. The village is pretty quiet too, but there are a couple of lively bars and some very nice casual restaurants. Best described as a quiet family oriented resort with superb snow conditions and tree lined runs. Not ideal for the hardcore, but there is some pretty challenging terrain off the cliff chair and over in the GemLake area. but if you like cruising knee deep powder on long rolling terrain, it doesn't get much better.
ski holidays
i do love the sound of big white but the cost of booking it all seperately would be really expensive due to flight costs and none of the main tour operators seem to do package holidays which means im struggling to book it which is why whistler is looking so much easier
ski holidays
colors wrote:
i do love the sound of big white but the cost of booking it all seperately would be really expensive due to flight costs and none of the main tour operators seem to do package holidays which means im struggling to book it which is why whistler is looking so much easier

Yep, cost could be an issue. Lots of flight alternatives though if you shop around. There was a thread about extremely cheap flights into Seattle, which is only a short hop away. It's hard to compete on price with the package hols to Whistler, but that's the difference between the hustle and bustle of a major international resort and a more local one. You can't have it both ways unfortunately.
snow conditions
just think bearing in mind the cost and the snow conditions to be similar then whistler is the wimmer. would love to go to big white but at the moment its not viable for myself unfortunately
snow conditions
For four people, it was much cheaper to book everything ourselves when we went to Whistler, but we did get a good deal on the flights.we got decently priced accommodation through www.alluradirect.com . I think they may do Big White too Banff was a package, but we hired a car to avoid the transfer bus.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
colors wrote:
just think bearing in mind the cost and the snow conditions to be similar then whistler is the wimmer. would love to go to big white but at the moment its not viable for myself unfortunately

For an intermediate level skier, you might find Whistler a bit of an anti-climax. It's great for experts, but for intermediates the runs don't have much variety and you often need to head higher up the mountain to get the better snow conditions. If you're going down the package route, you'd be better off heading to Banff / Lake Louise. Less crowded and beautiful scenery.
snow report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
For four people, it was much cheaper to book everything ourselves when we went to Whistler, but we did get a good deal on the flights.we got decently priced accommodation through www.alluradirect.com . I think they may do Big White too Banff was a package, but we hired a car to avoid the transfer bus.

We advertise our apartment on alluradirect
snow report
Quote:
For an intermediate level skier, you might find Whistler a bit of an anti-climax.
Exactly my feelings about the place. For me, it was a big anti-climax, and I enjoyed Banff far more despite the drive to the slopes.
ski holidays
I was an intermediate when I first went to Whistler, and had a blast. It's a great place still - I get about 10 days a year in there and rarely encounter any of the nasty stuff people allude to here. You just have to be sensible, and be willing to get on the hill before the crowds, and move ahead of the masses, eat lunch at 11.30, etc. it ain't exactly difficult.

Advise to go in January is spot on - best snow and lowest crowds.

There's plenty of reports/pics on my blog (see below) on Whistler. here's one of the sets of pics from Feb this year.

http://gortonator.spaces.live.com/photos/cns!AF2DD3CC35CC7ADF!1574/
snow conditions
gortonator wrote:
I was an intermediate when I first went to Whistler, and had a blast. It's a great place still

Sure, I can think of many worse places to go and we had a great time there too. But of the places I've personally been in Canada (Whistler, Lake Louise, Big White) Whistler comes last for me. All depends on your personal preferences I guess. But for me crowds are a non-starter at any time of day and by Canadian standards Whistler is a very busy resort.
ski holidays
ive booked whistler nw, dont think the crowds will be too bad mid jan, from what ive heard and seen its feb it starts to really build up and ive seen plenty of pics with no one on slopes so think people may be over exaggerating with the crowds sometimes. anyway im thinking i might be able to get another ski trip in around late feb and it wil prob be banff but i havent given up the idea of big white. one prob im having with big white is i cant find any accomodation whatsoever on any website not even the independant travel agents online. where do people book accomodation for big white? im just findng it impossible at the moment
ski holidays
Quote:
one prob im having with big white is i cant find any accomodation whatsoever on any website not even the independant travel agents online. where do people book accomodation for big white? im just findng it impossible at the moment

colors, have you tried the travel agents I linked to above? I've used Ski Independence twice when going to Big White and they've been fine. Staying in the same accommodation it has worked out cheaper than booking accommodation & flights myself direct. Or you can book direct through the Big White Central Reservations http://www.bigwhite.com/index.php?fuseaction=home.showSection&ID=445 or try alluradirect
ski holidays
colors, What sort of accomodation are you looking for in Big White? We have an apartment there, but if not suitable I can help you find somewhere that is, no problem at all.
snow report
how much does big white tend to come out at for ski in/ski out accom (doesnt have to be luxury but around 3*) flights and transfers say late feb? also is how is the skiing/snow usually in late feb?
latest report
late Feb about as good a time to go as any.

I always book Big White thru ownerdirect.com. See:

http://www.ownerdirect.com/accommodations/bigwhite.htm
snow report
colors, just looking at a quote I got from Ski Independence at the end of March, for 10 days from either 31 Jan or 7 Feb 09.

Staying at the White Crystal Inn, probably the best hotel location right in the centre of the resort with the piste going right to the back door. Price including transatlantic flight and then internal flight and transfer:

31 Jan - £1,036
7 Feb - £1,183

No doubt if you asked now the price might be different. Don't forget hotels in Canada tend to be room only, but you can eat pretty cheaply in Big White and the lift pass isn't expensive as say Banff. You can probably do it cheaper if you book an apartment in not such a convenient location.
snow report
i think we are pretty much settled on Big White - looking at the Woodcutter Cabins - anyone know them?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy