Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any other Snowbikers out there? (Skibobs)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've discovered that these Snowbikes are accepted in many resorts in Europe, USA, Canada, and Scotland, and there are Championships and various associations you can become a member of - so a whole world of like-minded people enjoying snow-covered mountains, that we only came across due to an injury. Has anyone else on Snowheads used these Snowbikes (also called Skibobs) and if so, in which resorts? Would love to hear from you.

How we came to use them

Having injured an already operated-on knee when skiing this year, I was sat watching others skiers coming down the run at the back of the hotel, when I spotted someone on what looked like a bike with skis instead of wheels. Intrigued we enquired at our hotel and we were told they were Brenter Snowbikes and they could be hired, once you have completed a 2 hour instructional course and you can prove you are competent on piste and the lifts.

As you sit on the bike and have two very short skis on your feet, they are ideal for someone with dodgy knees. So I had the lesson, and hobby joined me just for to keep me company...and we have never laughed so much. We then continued to hire them for the remaining 2 days of our holiday, and as the sun melted the snow, they performed better and better, much to the envy of the skiers we were passing! wink We have since used them for another 4 days on a return ski trip to the same resort, exploring runs that I normally would never had dared to do, because I’ve always been a nervous, cautious skier and reds were just not for me. But with 4 points of contact with the snow, and a lower centre of gravity, I feel confident on everything - which for me is a totally new experience. We both have bad knees, (hubby has had 4 ops) and we were seriously considering giving up (we have to have steroid injections to get us through a weeks skiing) but now we can sit down, and just ride the slopes in comfort. We have since found out that they are used by people with allsorts disabilities, and amputees, which must be really liberating, so we should be on the slopes for many years to come now Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 10-08-08 23:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sharon1953, do you have any pictures?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, lots on http://www.snowbike.us/e-galerie.htm and http://skibanff.com/rentals/snow_bikes.php and if you surf on YouTube for "Snowbikes" loads of videos.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
not much chance of looking at a movie with my 28kbps internet dial up connection - managed to look at one of the stills though. Looks like fun. Are you attached to the bike by a leash? and if so, is there a danger that it clobbers you if you fall? They look much better than those horrible things with just the front and back skid, that teenage lads rent and then can't control even on an easy red slope.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saw a few people on them in ValT, they looked fun if a little lethal when people fell on them!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, There are some called "scoots" which you stand up on, can't see the point in those really, but boys will be boys! And there are some that you sit on, but have don’t have footskis, so you rest your feet on little foot rests. Most lift companies won’t allow you on the lifts with these, because you are really a foot passenger (as in summer) and the approaches and dismount areas are not suitable. Personally I feel much safer with skis on my feet, as we use them like stabiliser wheels, and for extra carving. There are loads of homemade ones about, literally converted bikes, and if you've had no tuition, and can get them to the slopes without a lift, then it's an accident waiting to happen. We have been issued with licences, and can only hire the Brenter model on production of this certificate. I guess it’s like any downhill sport, if you don’t learn the basics, you are a danger to others and yourself... boarders coming up behind me always worry me!

In the USA you have to wear a leash just on the chairs, in case you let go of them, but not required in Europe, and they are never worn when riding, if you fall off the bike just stops dead because of the handle bars, you tend do just topple over, unless you are in the fun park doing tricks! (Which we don’t)

Shame you can’t see any of videos, they are really good to watch.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sharon1953, which resorts have you used a snowbike in? Thanks for the info.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cad99uk, Only in Obertauern (Austria) so far, where we had the intructional course, but there is a website that has a list of the resorts where they are accepted. If there isn't a rental shop, they will drop them off at your hotel from a central depo. We are going to Saalbach/Hinterglemm 2009 to use them there. List of resorts on http://www.snowbike.us/e-rent.htm
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My father hired one in (I think) 1963 when his ballance had gone due to MS (well, Frederick's Ataxia actually) and had quite a good time on it. I had a go and it was really easy - I can see the appeal.
However nothing changes - he had tried one at least 31 years earlier (but without the stabilisers) - here is one of Dad's friends with one in 1932 :

(click to view)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball, Great photo, what a treasure. On March 10, 1949, Engelbert Brenter (born in 1887) submitted his patent for the "Sitzski" which is the origin to the todays Snowbike. Picture of it on http://www.snowbike.us/e-az-geschichte.htm . So yes, they have been around an awfully long time!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball, Great B/W pics, l enjoyed them all, especially "Dads friend climbing" now my desktop wallpaper. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ah, it was the muscular back, I take it - the Jane Austen effect!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball, those photos are lovely! Thanks for posting them Very Happy

(& yeah, the muscular back is not at all bad either...)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy