Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please recommend me a daypack/rucksack

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

I'm fed up with cheap rucksacks where you use them a few times and then look at the shoulder straps and find the stitches are pulling away from the main body of the bag. I know that there is nothing better than personal recommendation and as many Snowheads are into this sort of thing I thought I would put down some criteria and see what you come up with.

ABSOLUTELY must be DURABLE (manufacturer is immaterial as long as it will last me loading it up and using it)

I would like it to have a waist strap.

Uses I intend to put it to: Anything and everything - day long trips to the zoo with the children - loaded with coats, waterproofs, bottles of drink, hats, gloves, small thermos etc.; a day trip hiking in the hills with necessary gear, waterproofs, food etc. - maybe it should be waterproof?; possibly skiing for a day as I improve to carry odd bits and bobs - drink, hat, buff, sunglasses etc.; to lob stuff in for a day trip anywhere with the kids; maybe even the odd bit of shopping on my bike.

Should ideally be comfy to wear - I use a rucksack a fair bit and some do cut into the shoulders

Volume - am happy for guidance given above list of uses - thinking around the 30 litre mark - does this sound reasonable?

Bladder? - not bothered if it doesn't have a bladder - I doubt the ease of keeping them clean anyway - I am more than happy to add bottles of drink instead.

Price - If I could the above for <£40 inc. postage I'd be more than happy. An online source with quick delivery is ideal

Hoping the above list is feasible - I await your recommendations for a looksee,
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have had a Mountain Equipment Solstice 35 rucksack for close on the last ten years. Did me for uni, backpacking round Europe, hundreds of trips abroad and a daily commute for the last four years and still looks almost brand new. There's hardly a scratch on it. The top handle and the main straps are bombproof and there's no obvious wear to the stitching anywhere. I went through a decent backpack (North Face, Salomon, Karrimor) every six or nine months prior to this one.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum,

30 ltrs is a big pack, IMV and maybe only you can quantify what you want and need to put in it.

As a quick guide, I will carry a first aid kit, small 12m rope, harness and dangly stuff , spare hat/gloves, avi stuff, drinks bottle, vid cam, and maybe a warmth layer quite easily into 20lts. You don't want to pack to be full all the time, IMO.

Dakine Heli pros ll are around 22 ltrs plus..maybe more, and are dedicated day ski packs. They can have a hydration pack and have good waist and chest straps...which I think are both essential when skiing. They also have decent padding as well. I would take a look at this model to get a feel for how big they are, and use it as the benchmark for other brands to beat. Ospery make great packs but they are expensive.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT, Don't forget that there are womens and mens version of the Heli-Pro, with different back lengths.

Megamum, I have a 20 litre Ortovox pack for sale if you fancy a used one. A1 condition. Suitable if you are 5'6" or over, or shorter and have a long back. 30 litres is pretty big for a day pack. I have replaced this with a Dakine womens Heli-Pro.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dakine Heli-Pro. Pretty durable-plenty features blah blah blah. Can't remember how much I paid maybe fifty quid or something.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowbunny, 5'9" here - have PM'd you we might be able to do something.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have used a BCA Stash Backpack whilst skiing for the last few years (this model actually includes an hydration system). I recently lost one of the chest straps (it has both chest and waist straps). I contacted the UK distributor Anatom to ask if I could purchase a replacement strap, and they sent me one free of charge - which I thought was good customer service Very Happy . I therefore have no hesitation in recommending the BCA products - have a look at their range to see which model suits your requirements best.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum,

My 3 packs are;

1. A Carrimore Hi-pack which is over 35years old and is great hiling pack but unfourtunatly does not have a waist strap so is no good for skiing. The Carrimore pack is still in a great condition and gets lots of comments from people who had one in their younger days. Not sure how much it cost but was definatly in £ s d wink

2. A Dakine Heli-pro which is about 6 years old and is still good but rather faded. Cost about £50

3. Just bought pack 3. A 60 ltr pack with shoulder and waist straps from TESCO. This pack will be getting lots of stick during next season so hopefully it will be up to the job but at a cost of £20 Blush Blush if it is tired after one season i will not be too upset.
(ps. except as a yorkshire man i expect it to last 35 years + Toofy Grin )
(pps.In 35 years time hopefully someone else will offer to carry my back packl Puzzled )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all your comments folks - I'm going to give Snowbunny's for sale item a try.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
arv wrote:
Dakine Heli-Pro.

I agree.
Although they are about £75
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, I have a vango rock 20 it's slim enough to keep on on a chairlift and has a compartment for a bladder. Think I paid less than £30 for it a couple of years ago so it's durable.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Renry, ah don't really remember, was the best purchase i've made in a while though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
20 litres seems to be the most recommended size and is what I have coming. Most of you seem to find that it is big enough for gear for a day. The actual sizes are very difficult to visualise without being in a shop as you never know how big the cheaper rucksacks are, but I hope that it will fit in what I need for a day walking/sliing. At least the fact that it won't be overly large it will mean I have to be sensible about what I put in it which should help to keep the overall weight down.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Renry wrote:
arv wrote:
Dakine Heli-Pro.

I agree.
Although they are about £75

No, quite a bit less than that online (I've just Googled and seen one at £54.) Incredibly comfortable. 20L is ample as a day bag, if you're not carrying the kitchen stove.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, I saw that offer too. I make a point of googling a lot of what I want to buy - you can save a huge amount by not spending at the first place you see something for sale - the ease of internet shopping probably means that I spend more than I would without it, but at least I know that I have compared most items and got the cheapest online deal I can find before I part with my cash. My nice wheeled ski bag I got for VT was a case in point - it retailed for around £60 at the official site. Via ebay, a sale on the ebay site, and a paypal offer as I hadn''t ordered for a while I got it for around £30 delivered. I wasn't going to buy it, but in the finish I spotted all these offers on the same day and thought 'well someone clearly now wants me to buy one' so I then parted with the cash. Morale of the tale is that spontenaiety often costs cash. I also try not to buy on impulse unless its a brilliant deal on an item I'd already been thinking about buying.

I'm sure the Dakine pack would be a great bit of kit, but on a budget, and probably not in a position to make regular use of its excellent technical spec. I'm sure Snowbunny's pack will suffice for my needs for the foreseeable future.
ski holidays
Quote:

you can save a huge amount by not spending at the first place you see something for sale

Quote:

the ease of internet shopping probably means that I spend more than I would without it

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
I'm going to go against the flow somewhat and suggest that whilst a 20L pack is a good size for an individual skiing or walking, I'm not so sure its big enough for some of the things you've listed if you are the only one with a rucksack. Mostly I'm thinking about day trips with the kids where you could have several coats, plus packed lunches for (how many) etc. I've got a (IIRC) an 20L rucksack that's expandable by 5L. This has space for everything we need for the walks in the summer with waterproofs etc for two of us. However in the winter, with extra layers, flask, cups etc I find it a bit small, this is when I use a 35L sack to get everything in for both of us. I find I need the space more in this country than on my winter holiday because during my winter hol the additional clothing is worn rather than carried just in case. Although it cost more I think it is useful to have two because the larger rucksack wouldn't be so good for skiing etc being too large and floppy. I'm not sure if the answer should be to find an (additional) larger rucksack for yourself or get some for the Megakids. Personally, I prefer to carry the stuff for both me and Mrs P. but you may want to share the load wink .
latest report
My day sack is a Black Diamond Covert 22L. It has a compartment for avalanche kit and is set up for bladder. Right size for my day needs.
snow report
I have three packs, two 35L, one is kind of redundant I only use it to keep things together really but I did take it to the Dolomites for 5 weeks climbing, the only things on the outside were tent, sleeping mat and helmet. I mention this as an idea of just how big 35L is: 5 weeks! I then got a 35L Lowe Alpine Alpine Attack which I use for climbing now as it's a better shape: no side pockets and lighter in this I can fit a full climbing rack, harness, 2 55m ropes, rockshoes, helmet, water, waterproofs and lunch along with map, compass, guidebook, headtorch and associated small things. Finally for boarding I got a heli-pro. I'd have used the climbing bag except the one time I strapped the board to it I was worried about losing it down a glacier with no real snowboard straps although skis would have been fine because the ice axe loops double as side compression and would open large enough, moreover, it's far too big for single day trips, the smaller bag can easily fit avvy gear, food, fleece, water etc. even snowshoes although I like to avoid them. It's probably a bit overengineered for town use though.

Here is a very good and true rant on the British wish to carry too much stuff ion too large a bag: http://www.aqvi55.dsl.pipex.com/climb/alp-gear.htm
ski holidays
Swirly,
Quote:

a very good and true rant on the British wish to carry too much stuff ion too large a bag:

but which makes no mention of things like underwear, soap, toothpaste, face cream etc, in other words life's essentials whether you are up a mountain or not. The ranter is fairly obviously a man. wink
ski holidays
Hurtle,
Quote:

underwear, soap, toothpaste, face cream

Sorry I don't understand.
ski holidays
What colour do you want? I've got a red one kicking about somewhere, and I saw someone with a blue one once..... Toofy Grin
snow report
i've got BCA Stash BC 30L, struggle a bit sometimes when i want to bring camera (fairly sizeable DSLR setup) - not necessarily to fit it in, just with the fannying about with getting/putting the camera in and out beside the other gear! other than that it's great - bit pricey but i suppose they all are these days - it is absolutely bombproof though, can carry skis/board comfortably, compress down for bike use in summer, neat feed for bladder hose through one shoulder strap etc etc.
ski holidays
just got an email shot from sailgb.com offering 20% off deuter packs
snow conditions
I got a DaKine Heli Pro 20 litre last year and that was great for my gear + girlfriend's + Camelbak bladder.

From your list I'd say you definitely need more space: 30/35 litres at least.

Do you have any Blacks, Snow and Rock, Ellis Brighams or similar outdoors shops near you? You can spend an afternoon looking at/trying on the various rucsacs and then pop on the internet and buy what you like.
latest report
While on the subject, does anyone have an opinion on the normal Heli Pack?
ski holidays
mark_s, for me, it hasn't got enough space but know plenty people who have them and are happy. Dakine are good bags.
snow report
One thing to bear in mind is the shape of the bag... I have a 20l berghaus, which is well constructed, is curved to allow airflow between the bag and your bag, which is great for reducing sweating on hot days... but it feels tiny. Its an awkward shape, and you have to stuff things right into pointy corners, and under the curve of the bag's back in order to use up the space. I could fit much more in my old, cheaper 20l one.

At the moment, my all purpose bag is a 25l Karrimore Skye which I paid about £20 for. It feels massive (can easily fit a couple of lever arch files, or 8 cans of beer upright on the bottom), and comes with a rain cover, waist and chest straps. The only thing it might be missing is fittings for a hydration system... but I don't own one of those, so I'm not too worried.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks arv. I'm looking for something small/compact which i can stick my random bits in when I'm skiing. I don't tend to carry much around with me - sunglasses, drink, hat, suncream. With a bag I'd probably stick another mid-layer in as well, and maybe my helmet if it's not in use. I'm just sick of having full pockets Laughing

Sorry for hijacking your thread Megamum Confused
snow conditions
mark_s, Yeh heli pack would do you although even the heli pro isn't too big. Bomb proof aswell.

I think megamum had her question answered and bought a bag in the end.
snow report
mark_s,

as arv says, good well thought out bags. The Heli pro is about 16ltrs,
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
The ranter is fairly obviously a man. wink

Yep, no deodorant spoo .
latest report