Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

stuff falling from sky.....

Poster: A snowHead
looks like it might have started, we're getting sleet/snow/rain here right now
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
'ger all here, so far.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
getting heavier here, be interesting to see what it looks like in the morning. We're only at 500m so I'd be fairly sure it's falling as snow fairly heavily up the road now.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG, I hope you're planning to stay up all night to report the exact moment that it starts to snow wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It doesn't appear to be falling yet in Zermatt. Their live webcam seems to show a very dry town centre!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar.org.uk, the relevant words being "all night", the way it's looking!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My pal in La Plagne rang before and told us it had started snowing there at 18:30 Very Happy

Roll on next Wednesday and Sleazyjet Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hadn't even noticed from inside, but just gone out to check, there is a light (very light) drizzle/sleet falling, so snow at Les Arcs. Needs to be heavier though!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar.org.uk, no doubt about it, in the light of the street lamp opposite there is slow-falling whitish stuff mixed in with the drizzle. Definitely counts as snow, so I'm off to bed....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ise, Remind us please which part of Switzerland you are in ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG, ise, good morning, is there a morning update?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good morning Ray, we have approximately 1cm lying on the ground and occasional very light drizzle. Fog/low cloud. No wind. Approx 2°C at 850m. Possibly a little more (snow) at altitude.

However heavier snowfall has been *postponed*, according to the forecast, until Sunday and Monday. Light snowfall only Friday and Saturday.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PG, thanks for the report. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG, yes, thanks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
here's a nice picture:

http://meteosat.e-technik.uni-ulm.de/cgi-bin/meteosat-latest?imgtype=color&format=jpeg&D.x=76&D.y=40

Note the cloud out in the Atlantic.
ski holidays
Interestingly Les Arcs had a little snow overnight but from the webcam at the top of Tougnete Meribel didn't receive a flake. Is this some special power that PG has?
snow report
On closer examination other Meribel webcams are showing fresh snow, so perhaps the panoramic webcam on the Merinet site isn't functioning properly.
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, Someone at 1800 has just told me they've had about 6-8 cms up there, but didn't answer when I asked him if he had Provencal ancestors! (Given to exaggeration wink )
ski holidays
What is a little worrying (at least, the bit about the wind) is this, just in from Val d'Isère.

17th December 2004 - weather: Snow showers

Snow cover altitude: 25 cms
Snow cover resort: 25 cms

lifts: 23/50
slopes: 31/72
greens: 13/21
blues: 14/27
reds: 3/18
blacks: 1/6

Temperature altitude: -10°C
Temperature resort: -2°C
Freezing point: 1400m

wind direction altitude: north-west - wind strength km/h: 50/110 kph
wind direction resort: north-west - wind strength km/h: 40/90 kph
snow report
Snowed overnight in the Jura and there's a fair amount fallen up there so far, same for the pre-alpes as well. The clouds suggest it's going to start again in a few hours. Temperatures are way up on the last few weeks though.
snow report
Can't see DH training going ahead with those wind speeds.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, no, cancelled. Doesn't augur well for tomorrow either. And the forecast for Sunday is heavy snow....
snow report
Quote:

And the forecast for Sunday is heavy snow....

Not all bad news then.. Very Happy
snow conditions
PG wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, no, cancelled. Doesn't augur well for tomorrow either. And the forecast for Sunday is heavy snow....

I can confirm this, I've got to move some furniture around tomorrow morning so I'll only grab a couple of hours on the slopes. I've arranged for the snow to be delayed for Sunday when I've got a bit more time.
ski holidays
PG, I guess missing an opportunity to see the delightful Ms Alcott in the Ladies DH is a small price to pay for some real snow to ski on over Christmas.

I like the sound of 'heavy snow' on Sunday. Must make sure to pack my snow chains...
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, I'm getting sceptical about Meteo's France's "double snowflake" image. And just about every time I check:

Meteo France Les Arcs

....it's changed in some way. The sun peeping through wasn't there last time I looked! But then again, it only had a single snowflake for this afternoon.... now it's a double snowHead
snow report
ise wrote:
I've arranged for the snow to be delayed for Sunday when I've got a bit more time.

Nah... you just know the big one's gonna arrive tonight (just after we park up, please, and definitely not before we've landed at GVA) and we'll make every effort to ski it out before you get there... Cool ...the web cams for Flaine and Avoriaz look rather more enticing than they did yesterday.
snow conditions
We've got guests arriving tonight for a few days, flying into Geneva this morning at 9.30, determined to ski in either Courmayeur or Flaine today, then head down to BSM for early evening. Tight schedule, given the conditions!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow report

From Meteo UK Les 'Ayling

Here on Isle de 'Ayling in Hampshire snowing very heavily at the moment although the snowflakes are rather high density and temperature challenged.

Well your doing it, so why shouldn't I?
ski holidays
Slowplough, Laughing
latest report
La Plagne website says 6cm of fresh last night at 200m, Stockton on Tees in Smogland Central had no snow last night, however we have grey clouds (poss chemical smog) and are expecting a nice drop of acid rain. snowHead
snow conditions
If you look at the Les Arcs Moutaintop Webcam there is a chamois in the middle pic just by the camera, looking towards Arc 2000 - I'm interested to see if its still there in the 11am pic - it may be a new plastic one for this year Puzzled . Not snowing heavily, but its snowing
ski holidays
Martin Nicholas, it was there a few days ago, I'd guess it bain't real Confused

Here's something I posted in Snow reports:

Quote:
The current charts show a switch to SW winds after the weekend (after the current crop of lows goes through). This will probably mean a rise in temperature, though by how much I don't know. However, looking at the extreme range of the charts, you may get another cold front (and possibly a low pressure system) or two through before Christmas. The big problem is that teh Azores high is looking to ridge eastwards - this is what brings the SW winds, and it could also deflect some low pressure systems to the N & E of the Alps (Austria may do quite well from this set-up). How good or bad it is will really depend on how much that high ridges and how long it remains like that.

Inciodentally, if you look at the French rainfall radar, it shows a large area of (unknown heaviness) rain over the NW part of France. If this moves SE you should see some more. However, the skies should clear a bit between now and then as there's a decent sized gap in the systems. It's a shame this system over S England is dumping a lot of its moisture now. Hopefully it'll still have plenty left when it arrives down there.... snowHead

[EDIT: I was talking rubbish about the Pyrennes Embarassed ]

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 17-12-04 14:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
PG wrote:
We've got guests arriving tonight for a few days, flying into Geneva this morning at 9.30, determined to ski in either Courmayeur or Flaine today, then head down to BSM for early evening. Tight schedule, given the conditions!

Geneva - Courmayeur - BSM ? They sound loads of fun Very Happy
snow report
I did point out they couldn't nip over the Col, but that didn't seem to put them off at all!
snow report
With that schedule I think you should make them aware of the Mont Blanc Tunnel speed limit!
snow conditions
It's getting stuck behind a lorry on the French side that could double their journey time. If they spend a day in Courmayeur, it could be the same lorry in both directions.
latest report
Uk & France weather (plots observations from various weather stations): http://www.xcweather.co.uk/
latest report
skanky,

How do you know about this site - are you into some aerial cross country action?
snow conditions
No, it's from my increasing collection of weather info. sites. I only recently realised who it was aimed at (I did wonder about it's obsession with winds). That's not to say I wouldn't give it a try if the opportunity presented itself (I'm far to good a time-waster to actively seek such an opportunity out though). Confused
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy