Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Head Monster i.M75

Poster: A snowHead
These ski's seem to be getting the same sort of reviews in the States as the Bandits did when they first came out, but very few people on here mention them on their shortlists.

Anyone ever been on them, and how do they compare to other "do everything" ski's?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marc gledhill, I have a pair and love them, Whats your boot size there bindings are set for a 28.5 boot. If your the same size I'll meet you a Castleford and swop skis for a session.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used them last season for a day fantastic
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Russell, that's damn decent of you. My boot size is 270/275 with a 315mm sole length so there should be more than enough adjustability in the bindings to sort a fit out.

I've been to Cas a couple of times since you offered to meet up, but that was during the day on weekdays. Do you still go Thursday evenings?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marc gledhill, I can go Sunday this weekend and then it will have to be evenings until after Christmas cos during the day I'll have 2 children to look after. If you can go Sunday just suggest a time I'm free all day but from experience Sunday evening seems quieter from about 7.30pm onwards.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've skied on them and recommended clients to buy them. I thought they were excellent. fine off piste, carve quite nicely on piste. An easy ski with reasonable performance.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, bootneck, thanks for the feedback, very useful, and could put a hole in Santa's credit card Very Happy

Russell, I'll check things with my social secretary for the weekend. I've also got two to look after, do yours ski?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marc gledhill, Not yet the ex wife was not a skier, hoping to get them on the snow for 2005/2006 probably with Mark warner.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am looking at these to replace XX's and I want them to do everything. Does the 75 refer to the width..?
I am looking at these, maybe the iM70, and Dynastar 6200's. Someone said to check out Volkl 724 EXP's as well.

Post what you think about them, please
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, Im75 dimensions Tip 113.9 waist 74.3, tail 108.0, Turning radius 16.3 So I guess the 75 is the waist rounded up.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marc gledhill, my experience with the i.M75 chips is a bit different from the others here. If you're not talking about the chip version, then you can ignore this comment completely: I found that the chip dampened the ski just about the time I thought it was going to "wake up"! I like a lively ski, so this was frustrating for me. As you've read elsewhere, I'd suggest you try both the Atomic Metron:b5 and the Fischer RX8. I'd also recommend trying the Elan S12 Fusion.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the input ssh, I had read your review threads here and on Epic, many thanks for them.

Some of the Epic members seem to think that the Heads struggle a bit with short turns, would you agree with that? Also, how do the b5 and RX8 cope off the groomed runs?

Thanks.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marc gledhill, sometimes I feel like I write too much on equipment. I am a gearhead and love talking and learning about gear...!

The Heads (again, I only skied the chips) didn't have the energy to work really short turns, IMO. While they carved well, they did not give energy back to the skier. They were most comfortable in middle-of-the-road turns on middle-of-the-road runs. As you read on my Epic review, it was my least favorite ski.

I skied the RX8 in 170 all last season. I skied them on a milk run in about 6" or so of new snow (I was the first tracks for a couple of runs in a row). The skis planed up on the snow very nicely, and floated well.

I also skied them during my clinics and exams. Among the conditions we skied was crud in the back bowls of Vail and about a foot of fresh on top of bumps for the "off-piste skiing" part of the level II exam. In all of these conditions, I found myself with a big ol' grin enjoying them very much.

Over on Epic, Si reviewed his new Metron:b5s. Given his commentary and my experience on them, plus the objective truth that the dimensions are 127-76-114 (in the 162) or 129-76-116 (in the 172), I expect them to be fantastic in soft and deep snow (the primary impetus for picking them up is my week in Montana for the ESA).

Again, hope this isn't too much! Let me know what you think if you get a chance to ride any of these...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ssh, when people talk about gear, it's never "too much" Very Happy

Looking at the Fisher and Atomic sites, they both have these skiis listed for real top end skiiers so I presume they're pretty stiff. What levels of skiier do you think they'd work for?

Thanks again.

Marc
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marc gledhill, the M:b5 is quite versatile. On the day we were demoing, we had folks from mid-level intermediate up ski on them, and all liked them. They get better the more one uses modern technique (no lifting of the ski; use edge changes and carving or skarving for direction changes).

The RX8 is a lot of ski. Not necessarily "stiff", but designed for upper-level skiers. It is light and lively, but if you find it too much, drop to the RX8, which is a little less beefy. The RX9 is also, IMO, less ski. It has a longer turn radius and isn't quite as demanding as a result. That said, for me, those characteristics make it a bit less fun, too!

What level skier are you?
ski holidays
ssh wrote:
marc gledhill, What level skier are you?

I have no real idea! We have no consistant rating system in Europe, that I'm aware of. I've seen mention of levels on Epic - is there a written description of the criteria anywhere?

I like steep pisted runs and bumps, but struggle with really deep stuff (so thats what I'll be trying to ski properly next).

I also struggle with other people's own rating of themselves, to me you can't "ski" a slope unless you can get down it with good technique using any turn radius you care to mention.

Others regard mere survival of the journey as proof that they skiied it. wink
ski holidays
ssh,

Good pointers on the M:b5. I am looking for a ski that will replace XX's and am very interested in the performance of this ski. However, as I am over 6 and weigh about 190lbs I may think the longer of the two you mention would suit me. I want an all-round ski and will sacrifice a certain amount just to carry that one ski for the duration of the holiday.
Mostly I want it to be helpful on steep off-piste but I do like to get the ski in the air and round so maybe this ski might be tiring after a while. It also needs to be able to get through bumps and chop through crud because as much as I like to spend time in deep snow sometimes the conditions aren't helpful.

So despite my reservations about my older technique and the ski not being a match...thats one reason why I call B2's planks... your reviews have made this ski my first pick... Cheers

marc gledhill,

I know what you mean here and would agree with you if people are falling down the hill, but as long as they make a good fist of it then I think thats ok. After all even top guides don't always have a classic style but they never struggle. In fact, I would say if you can link pretty good turns down a hill you have 'skied' it.

Having said that sometimes I am glad to have side-slipped things...the key being control...!!
ski holidays
Here is one description of levels. Given what you've said, I'd put you at an 8! Given that, I think you'd love the M:b5!
snow report
JT, this is the line that concerns me:

JT wrote:
Mostly I want it to be helpful on steep off-piste but I do like to get the ski in the air and round so maybe this ski might be tiring after a while.

If you can work your technique as carving and skarving and keep those skis on the snow (or allow the snow to lift them, as opposed to you muscling them), I think that the skis would be great. However, if you prefer to ski by lifting your feet, I suspect you'll find them tiring. But, you'll get in better shape! Laughing
snow report
ssh, I think U are just being kind. I'd settle on 7, as I still struggle with the powder.

Yeah, JT I was probably a bit OTT with that comment. But if I don't do it well, I just don't feel I'm skiing it- just sliding down it. Self critical as usual.
ski holidays
ssh,

OK, you have convinced me, I'll go with these babies in 172.

Many thanks.
snow report
JT, why the 172s? Will you be able to demo? If you can ski the 162s, do it! I can't believe how solid those skis are in all conditions I could put them through. I weigh 180-185, but do tend to push boards a bit harder than that (I'm an 8+ by the levels I posted--not quite a 9).
ski holidays
ssh,

Don't know really, last year I was on 184 XX's and I have always been used to longer skis and I have handled them ok.
What is most apparent from these discussions is how much I am off the pace from a technical point of view. I have skied lots for 20 years and am an 8 on your scale. I need to tighten up in crud which I find an ordeal still and I could always be fitter. What I have noticed is that in our group I struggled last year and even went backwards..or so I thought but what actually happened was one guy came on a bomb. He has never had a classic technique but is well balanced and fit and he just nailed the technique of the modern skis, ie right over the centre of the ski with very little angulation. I realise now that I have been fighting a modern techique as I ski with an old slalom style and pick the ski up and drive round with weight mostly on the turning ski.

I tried B2's in a 182, I think, and I found they turned like a ship. I like a much tighter turn and it was too much of a fight, so much so I took them back and used 184 XX's happily enough for the rest of the week. We did some very steep Glacial stuff over all the types of snow you would not want and I felt comfortable on them.

This year I will be demo'ing the Atomics and I will try the 162. I'll get over the fact that the will look tiny compared with what I am used to. I think I will have to reappaise my skiing and the suggestion I have a lesson is not something I will resist too hard.

Old habits die hard, I guess
snow conditions
JT, snowHead. I really know what you're going through! The amazing thing with the M:b5s is how wide they are! That 127mm tip looks like a water ski! After I got on them, everything else looked skinny. The weight and the width make up for the length, I think. Actually, the height, too (they are pretty thick skis with those magnesium power channels). See what you think.

We can take this over to the instruction forum, if you want, but I'd love to give you a chat about how I think you can play with some drills to get the modern turns going pretty quickly when you're on-snow this year. Let me know if you'd like that, and I'll start a thread there. Or you can start one and I'll reply!
snow report
ssh,

Look forward it, as I am looking forward to trying to blast the b5's. That will make me step up the fitness work..!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy