Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time for the powers that be to shut Ryanair down?

Poster: A snowHead
Given the latest news about Ryanair, should the relevant authorities stop Ryanair trading in and flying within/to/from the UK?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What news is this?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Winterhighland, why? I don't think predatory pricing is illegal in the UK.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Announcing Friday they've cancelled thousands of bookings starting Monday, once again their shafting their paying customers to get at other businesses. I know quite a few people who have been left in the lurch in the airport by Ryanair, and they strung them out to the bitter end to avoid even a refund. Their behaviour to friends and family in question have been such that I nor any of my family will fly with them again.

They flouted the rules over price advertising on their website as one example, but the relevant authorities seem reluctant to take any serious action against them, despite repeated transgressions In any other sphere taking money for a service, refusing to provide that service, then refusing a refund would amount to fraud, it is to put it plain english theft. A business that people use once and swear never to go near again surely has a limited shelf life. Basically only fly Ryanair if you can afford the expense and inconvenience of getting yourself home on last minute booked trains, planes, hire cars, ferries delete as appropriate! Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's so much ryanair bashing on this site yet I'm sure that at least 75% of those who complain still fly with them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timmaah, Not given a choice
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I forgot that Ryanair is the only airline out there. rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have never had a problem with Ryanair, but i have flown on them with no baggage every time apart from 1 ages ago. id continue to fly with them, but not on a ski holiday though. for cheap travel around Europe they are fine, but no cheaper than BA etc when it comes to taking skis and the like.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've never flown with Ryanair but they must have plenty of satisfied enough customers to have the cash they have accumulated. The publicly stated reason is that Ryanair doesn't get passenger contact details for these 3rd party bookings so can't advise of cancellations, I'm sure there will be an underlying benefit of stopping 3rd parties making margin off them.

Basically I'd guess they don't care about individual passengers & their gripes because there are plenty more to take their place e.g. all the antipodeans who arrive in London each year and fly somewhere different in Europe every month. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that they'll have a battle on their hands if things go tits up with their trip, but the human eye for a bargain is a powerful thing to overcome. Airline service and pricing certainly won't improve if a major "low cost" player gets taken out. I've had bigger delays and cancellation on BA this past year than EZ for instance.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Winterhighland, i have been screwed by Ryanair twice and i will not fly with them, period.. I dont have a beef with their business model as it works and is profitable. but i personally wont put my business with a company that views their customers as "self loading cargo" to quote their CEO.. we do have a choice and if it is a bit dearer on the occasional flight remember the hotel bills etc from the horror stories from those left in the lurch before pressing the buy button....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hmm..never used them and not sure I like to....but as fatbob says, it will not help the overall market if a low cost carrier ( supposedly ) goes out of business.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

"self loading cargo"

That's a very common term for what aircrew call the passengers - or more commonly SLF (freight).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have flown three or four times with Ryanair, although I accept that I have probably been lucky in my experiences. All the flights have been on time,the planes were new and clean, all my luggage arrived at the required place, and I haven't been screwed for excess baggage charges. I have also taken my skis twice without incident.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah - found what you are talking about. I don't know how long the present Ryaniar terms and conditions have been up on site - but the requirement to book directly with them is right up there. Although there site is hideous to look at, the requirement is not unreasonable. By insisting booking is directly with them, Ryan air control the collection of information they heed. Ryainair claims that third party booking slows down their site - and I guess they also gain from the advertising. Since they require booking directly with them, I cannot see they should be obliged to honour bookings made through a third party. It seems to me passengers complaints should be against the 3rd party, and not Ryanair.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As long back as I can remember, people have been taking pot shots at Ryanair for their failings with particular reference to reliability and lost luggage. I have been lucky in my use on all counts, but still would rather use BA or easyjet given the choice. For ski trips our flight booked for February coming to Innsbruck was over £100 less on Easyjet when taking into account fitting in boots and board. I would still use Ryanair, but would be wary of any long-term bookings. It all comes down to costs. I agree with the sentiments above that if they were taken out of the UK market, it would be detrimental to prices generally as it forces BA to be more competitive.
latest report
Have flown with Ryanair a few times with no probs, but find their marketing cheap and tacky. Given the choice I would go with Easy or Flybe.
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
Since they require booking directly with them, I cannot see they should be obliged to honour bookings made through a third party. It seems to me passengers complaints should be against the 3rd party, and not Ryanair.

If you book through an agent, your contract is with that agent. Simple as that. Unless the agent was merely acting as a free intermediary to point you at Ryanair and the booking was made direct with them.
The goodwill however is a different matter though.
snow report
I would emplore all those with a gripe or vendetta against Ryanair to stop using them full stop. ....................... Now that they have gone the rest of us can get the 1c flights or at least the cheaper flights. Expect to get what you pay for mind you, and carry your own baggage, but the price of €150 return flight to the mountains is good for us at the far western side of europe.

I know that many of our snowHead bretherin living close to stansted, luton and gatwick have a greater choice and cheaper prices but I and many more over here are screwed with the major carriers. Alas Easyjet could not make a go of it out of our local airports, partly due to ryanair's pricing policy although to date they still have not increased the prices as I had feared.
snow conditions
I have travelled many times with Ryanair. I use them quite a lot between Glasgow and Milan to visit family (in laws) and for skiing. I have also used them for city breaks (Budapest, Paris) and I am going to Vienna with them in November. The only problem I have had is when my luggage got lost flying from Milan to Glasgow (however, they put it on the flight the next day). I certainly would NEVER book a flight way in advance with Ryanair as they can change flight times significantly;particularly if I had ongoing travel arrangements.

I would NEVER pay a lot of money to fly Ryanair as I am mindful of the fact that they can cancel a flight on a whim (for example if Ryanair were £100 and BA or KLM of any other "real" scheduled airline were £120, I would probably choose not to fly with Ryanair, even though my journey would be longer as I have to change). However, they are direct, meaning I don't have to change in Heathrow/Amsterdam/Brussels. I am flying to Italy over New Year (KLM via Amsterdam £379, Ryanair direct flight £511 - Iam going with KLM). I suppose there are instances where people have to pay a lot of money to fly Ryanair (if you have to get somewhere quickly for a funeral is one example).

Ryanair basically are good; you just have to remember:

1. Play by their rules (be on time, check and double check passengers names when booking, be careful with luggage weights, etc). Basically, do not give them any ammunition to throw back at you.
2. Do NOT pay over the odds for one of their flights as they are renowned for cancelling flight(s) at very, very short notice.
3. Do NOT make travel plans too far in advance in case the flight times change.

We have exactly the same problem here in Scotland as Roy Hockley has in the West of Ireland, whereby we are limited in choice. Ryanair does work well for me (direct flight) as I have already mentioned as it means I do not have to change planes in Heathrow or Amsterdam. I still would not pay a lot of money to fly with them.

I do not think they should be taken out of business, although this business of cancelling passengers flights/tickets is very bad and could be detrimental to Ryanair. Fair enough, they are morally c*** but I think one has to look at what they have done, which is, they have allowed lots of people to travel to lots of places very easily and very cheaply and have really opened up and changed air travel. I can't take advantage as I do not live in close proximity to Ryanair's main base at Stansted but look at people who can nip over to Europe for skiing/city breaks straight from work on a Friday night - would they be able to do that as cheaply a number of years ago Pre-Ryanair - I don't think so.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 9-08-08 18:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/2524912/Ryanair-threatens-to-cancel-passenger-tickets.html
ski holidays
Ryanair aren't the only budget airline but they are the most complained about (in Europe). The amount of flack they get on this forum and others, compared to the other lo cost carriers tells it's own story. I have personally seen them dump passengers at airports for no good reason other than to save money.

They have consistently been in trouble with the authorities i.e. telling untruths in their adverts, misleading prices on their website etc, etc.

As for them going bust - no chance, they have £1.7 billion in cash reserves which will allow them to take a loss while at the same time try to take out their competition.

But, cancelling about 1,000 passengers tickets is staggering, even by their standards.

snowHead
snow report
jb1970,

Is Prestwick not the most depressing airport in the world though? Horrible place.
snow conditions
jonm wrote:
Quote:

"self loading cargo"

That's a very common term for what aircrew call the passengers - or more commonly SLF (freight).

Yes and gerald ratner said his jewerly was cheap crap, and look how well his business did....
latest report
johnboy wrote:
jb1970,

Is Prestwick not the most depressing airport in the world though? Horrible place.

It is a bit tired, although looks to be getting a bit better. It reminds me of a communist Russian airport (never been to Russia but I imagine that it looks like that!).
snow report
Most regional-designed airports are small and crap though...

Hahn (lot better since 1-2 years), Forli, Norwich "Intl.", etc.
snow conditions
Ryanair are sharks, but then so are dodgy web-based travel agents with whom people choose to enter into contracts at their own risk. Caveat emptor..
latest report
stanton wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/2524912/Ryanair-threatens-to-cancel-passenger-tickets.html

Quote:
Rochelle Turner from Which? Holiday said: "We are stunned that Ryanair is treating its customers in this way.

Thing is, Ryaniar are not mistreating their customers. Those affected are customers of travel agents.

I am not a fan of Ryanair, but this time I think they have been completely reasonable - it's up to them how they sell their plane tickets. If they had pussy-footed on this one, the situation would simply have dragged on. Rough luck on those affected - but their grievance should be with the travel agents, not Ryanair.

All that said, I have only once booked a flight with them. Their pricing policy is rather like
this. Madeye-Smiley

[my thanks to jacksonhole for the link]
ski holidays
pam w, Absolutely. Screen-scraping is in contravention of Ryanair's Ts and Cs ... agents do it ( knowing there is a name pass-back to Ryanair's systems ) in order to line their own pockets at the operators' and us, the punters, expense. Consequently imo it is ABTA who are totally out of order for 'condoning ' what is an 'illegal' practice. Shut ABTA down would be an equally logical conclusion.

The reason they are the 'most complained about' low cost carrier in Europe might simply be because they are the biggest.

We may ( or may not) dislike Ryanir and their current CEO , but their existence is only good for the traveller. Seems very strange to me that this thread is all about knocking them for attempting to keep prices as low as possible by taking predatory and unacceptable practices ( who said 'leeches'?) out of the 'system'.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre, agreed but as jb1970, said it is sometimes cheaper for you lucky ones around London to use "traditional" airlines. Here alas they seem to be cheaper than the national flag carriers. Arrogant, churlish, uncompromising yes, but know what you are doing when booking. You pays your money ......

Ryanair in this instant were correct according to their T&C's the ones that are at fault in this instance are the copycat agents and their unsuspecting clients! Those clients that know about Ryanair's policies on not giving an inch are fools! Those from not near these shores that assumed they were dealing with a company like BA should be pitied!
snow report
the dude that owns ryanair - DOES NOT CARE, so everyone's wasting their breath. this guys does exactly what he likes (such as buying a taxi plate so he can use the bus lanes in and around Dublin!!)

use them or don't use them that's a choice, but any kind of campaign against them will simply be ignored / laughed at. That might not be right but it's true!
ski holidays
Quote:

any kind of campaign against them will simply be ignored / laughed at.

or it might be welcomed. No publicity is bad publicity?
latest report
barry, Yeah clever; wish I had thought of that! Of course I don't his business acumen either. He and Denis O'Brien worked as a PA to Tony Ryan, he certainly had some bright sparks working for him. Also as you know he is CEO and not the owner of Ryanair!
snow conditions
Agenterre wrote:

..The reason they are the 'most complained about' low cost carrier in Europe might simply be because they are the biggest...

Biggest complaints were about lost baggage and delayed or cancelled flights. The fact they had more complaints than BA tends to indicate the poor quality of their customer service.
Ryanair will be relegated to the second biggest Airline in Europe if/when the BA/Iberia merger goes through.

Re. the cancelled tickets - is this the correct way to go about this, cancelling thousands of tickets of passengers who were unaware of Ryanairs T&C, considering the fact screen-scraping sites have been supplying bookings to Ryanair for years - Ryanair is penalising the sites which are actually giving it business.
Ryanair could have just blocked all future bookings without shafting so many people in the middle of the holiday season. How many of the people with cancelled tickets will ever book with Ryanair again.

Easyjet, for example, have said they don't like screen-scraper sites but tolerate them i.e. because they give them business.

For those that have mention how Ryanair have brought cheaper prices and competition to the market - what do you make Of O'Learys comments when he says he wants to price the other lo cost airlines out of business. What will that do to their fares? Ryanair's only purpose is to make money, end of story.

snowHead
latest report
Sage wrote:
............Re. the cancelled tickets - is this the correct way to go about this, cancelling thousands of tickets of passengers who were unaware of Ryanairs T&C.....

As no bookings were made legally with Ryanair, there were no bookings. As to whether Ryanair should have permitted the passengers to fly, that's a marketing decision for them. I don't fly with them - but I can't underztqnd the fuss on this one.
snow report
Sage, don't worry Ryanair won't take over the world so they will never get a monopoly to send prices sky high wink . What they will do is try and make money, exactly the same as every other airline in the world. The way Ryanair try to operate means that there will always be cheaper flights available if you're prepared to play by their rules as it's their game. I use them but wouldn't pay high prices for their flights as I know what their customer services are like, but I will use them when I can get to Rome over the New Year holiday period for £78.90 each for me and the wife. I would never use BA mainly because I believe they lie, cheat, price fix and were ashamed to show the red, white and blue colours a number of years back even though they're supposed to be the flagship airline of our country. We all make our own choices, if you want to use Ryanair fine, if you don't....don't, simple. I can still get to Pescara with the wife and still have change out of £100, I just travel out of peak times, travel light, get my music on so I can't hear the dreadful adverts and go to sleep for two hours Laughing .

As for the rest of it, Ryanair are sticklers for their T&C's, as I mentioned it's their game and their rules either play it or don't but why try to take that choice from everyone else?

snowHead

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 10-08-08 19:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Just flown in from "Bologna" Forli this afternoon with Ryanair. Hand luggage only for a family 8 day summer holiday. Plane on time, Online check-in worked well so straight to security rather than a queue. Free priority boarding. Out of the airports half an hour earlier than expected each way.

Their advertising policy sucks and they evidently have the Irish regulators by the short and curlies, and Mr O'Leary is clearly the spawn of satan. But their product and business model seems to work. They have had a few interesting incidents on approaches though...
snow report
Grimsby Ranger, sound common sense!
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:
...... They have had a few interesting incidents on approaches though...

Most of the stuff like this is long on rumour - short on fact. Or have you some specific instances that cause you concern?
ski holidays
achilles, Bit testy tonight darling?

look into it a bit closer and you will find some interesting events, like the one where they had to climb to reach a safe approach to the runway at Cork.... The sources seem solid. Look at the last para. too...
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, any info on the rate of such incidents versus other airlines?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy