Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What Skis for an advancing intermediate

Poster: A snowHead
I've come to the conclusion that I'll be cheaper buying a pair of skis than renting everytime I go away. 3 - 5 trips a year.

I've kind of stuck to renting rossignol B78's since I read that they are pretty good 50/50 skis. But now I really want to improve on piste and was wondering what a good ski is to buy. Yes, occassionaly I like to do a bit off piste but mainly sticking to the pistes looking to improve on turns and controlling speed. Also, I'm 5'8 and 12st so was wondering about size. Is 165-168 a good size ?

Hope someone can help.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally at your weight and level I'd go for something perhaps in the 170-180 range but length remains a very personal issue and also depends what you are used to etc. Skis tend to be getting sold very short for my personal preferences so that's sorta down to you. I am a big fan of the Nordica Hot Rod range so i'd have a look at that-take a look at them I they stock them in Ellis B-they come in a large range of waist sizes and remain a pretty forgiving ski. No doubt someone else will be along to give you advice of other sorts but those are mine.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can tell I'm still learning. I feel that something in the 170-180 range will be harder to control than something in the 165-168 size ? The thought behind this being the smaller in length they are the easier to control. OK, have I lost the plot completely Puzzled

I skied rossignol b78 in a 165 size.

I'll check out these Nordica's ...........
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeh of course but as you increase in ability etc you will find yourself wanting to go faster, with length comes more stability at speed. Maybe a 172 could be a good length to look at if you are concerned about going too long.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

The thought behind this being the smaller in length they are the easier to control. OK, have I lost the plot completely

No, you haven't. You're right, especially if you want to concentrate mostly on piste and on tight controlled turns. The slalom skiers use very short skis these days and they know a thing or two! However, the most important factor is your instructor, rather than your skis - though if you go on so many trips you should improve FAST! The right size for you partly depends a bit on the model of ski though - I expect lots of people will come along with advice, most of them suggesting you go somewhere you can try out different models before buying.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah don't get me wrong head to xscape or wherever and try some skis but my points remain valid. You were right in thinking shorter skis are easier to control apologies for not validating that point.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kiltedlad try a few pairs out in resort and get the ones you get on with. Most shops will let you swap your rentals and even discount the rental if you buy some. The rossis you have been using are regarded as an easy ski to get on with you might find a more advanced set up a bit challenging.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Really like what I'm reading about the Nordica Eliminator. Size 170. Not a ski I would have considered but the write up does seem to sound a bit like me. Could be a winner..........

Thank you everyone for all your help. Amazing site ! now looking at a longer ski and a brand I would never have thought about. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The eliminator "It’s the ultimate all-mountain option for adventurous intermediates and lighter-weight advanced skiers".
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My husband is an 'advanced intermediate' on piste and at 12st, 5'10" he skis on 165's - they're Volkl racetigers. However, we have been skiing for 5 years or so (3 times a year) and have always had 'shortish' skis. As Pam says - you will learn faster on shorter skis. Plus on piste skis give a lot better edge grip and you can do nifty short turns, long carves etc.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Erica, you calling me short and fat Very Happy

Yeah I've been told to check out Volkl too. Just so many different brands on the market these days.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kiltedlad, No Toofy Grin
A lot of people like K2s but we've found these have quite a 'flat' feel. The volkls are very bouncy and energetic. Such fun!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes i agree. I tried them for a couple of days in Verbier then went onto the rossignol b78 which i enjoyed better. But, I know there is a perfect ski out there for me Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kiltedlad,
If you are thinking about the Nordica Hotrod Eliminator they are now only £220 at Ellis Brigham. Down from £390 and they have them in 170cm. Check out the website. Might go for the 178's myself. Bargain
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kiltedlad, I went through a very similar thought process to yours a couple of years back, wanting skis with good on piste performance but still with enough width to make off piste forays OK. I moved from some older Salomon 1080 noodles to Volkl AC3 (now AC30) and they have delivered exactely what I wanted. I'd strongly recommend a test of these for you.

erica2004, I completely agree with you!
latest report
Thanks guys !!!!
snow conditions
Ski length much depends on the type of ski you choose.

A 50-50 Allmountain ski i'd say would be around 175 at your height.
An 80-20 Allround carver around 165-170
And finally a full-on piste carver 160-165.

The best plan for you is to hire once more, and then test out as many skis as they let you.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy