Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

London (all) to Geneva ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi y'all,

When we fly across the pond into Europe with final destination GVA, it's mostly on the cheapest flight I could find and we therefore sometimes end up at London Heathrow.
Now, that wouldn't be troublesome if it weren't for the fact that, as to my knowledge only BA connects from LHR to GVA and their flights are in truly antique aircraft combined with steep prices; however all ski-gear is (still) checked free of charge.
Easyjet leaves from Gatwick and that requires a nasty, costly transfer, smack in the middle of rush hour and on top of that they'll charge the hell out of you for extra ski-gear.
Is there anyone between you FF out there who has a better option for us ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you book in advance BA probably won't be too much more than other options if you take into account free baggage etc
Do Swiss not fly LHR -> GVA any more?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BA are the only carrier LHR>>GVA this summer. Not sure about next winter.
Alternative is to use other european hubs. Paris, Zurich, Brussels, Frankfurt and others all have plenty of connections onwards to GVA.
Why go through LHR and lose half your luggage ( oops, sorry all you baggage handlers ).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno, no, Zurich I think. I definitely would not want the grief and cost of transferring to LGW- I 'd look at BA.

DallyPaul the baggage loss thing seems to have been sorted out.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jeu-d-esprit, Don't NorthWest/KLM fly direct from Portland to Schiphol (Amsterdam)? You could then get a KLM connection onto Geneva.
Maybe an option worth checking out. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jeu-d-esprit, a random search (assuming Portland as your departure) lists Continental (Newark), Northwest, (Amsterdam), KLM (Amsterdam), and United (Frankfurt) doing similar prices with one stop in January. BA aren't even mentioned...

Would be surprised if BA's "antiques" were averaging any older than most of the US carriers?

And BA will operate (I understand) to Geneva out of Gatwick (again) next winter...which means you could use Continental inbound from Newark, etc.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 6-08-08 7:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jeu-d-esprit, even if BA use antique 'planes (which they don't, SFAIK), the flight's only about 45 mins so who cares? Prices will be competitive; the downer is their recent poor luggage handling.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richmond wrote:
jeu-d-esprit, even if BA use antique 'planes (which they don't, SFAIK), the flight's only about 45 mins so who cares? Prices will be competitive; the downer is their recent poor luggage handling.

I am a little surprised the age of BA aircraft, though I am not sure it is significant in therms of passenger comfort. BA's engieeering reocrd is good - though the cause of the 757 crash-landing is still unknown, AFIK.

Here's how American Airlines compares. Its fleet is even older.

To save stanton a search, here's the data on KLM - a little newer than BA.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm currently on my second trip out of T5 and have had no problems with baggage so far. Out of maybe 200+ flights over the past 15 years I have only had 4 baggage "incidents", one with Iberia, one with a Portuguese airline and two with BA. Given that most of my flights are with BA maybe not too bad a record, although a right pita when it happens of course.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I fly BA-GVA from Heathrow fairly often in the winter. I've never been aware of planes which are particular old - they all seem to be fairly modern Airbus things. The times when I have had trouble on that route it is because of factors outside of BA's control (such as snow closing runways at Heathrow). The luggage problems which blighted the opening of T5 seem to be completely resolved now, and I think BA are just about to start an advertising campaign using reliability and punctuality data from T5 to try and rebuild its reputation. I flew out of T5 today and it was a very pleasant experience.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i had a couple of LHR -> GVA trips on the late friday evening BA flight last year. both times it was a massive plane given the length of the route, pretty old and tatty and half empty. didn't bother me much. it was on time, my bags turned up, there was plenty of room and one time i found myself sitting next to rungsp so good company too
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

To save stanton a search, here's the data on KLM - a little newer than BA.

although they're not really Dutch now anyway wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That Arno, he says all the right things!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rungsp, flattery gets you everywhere wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

When we fly across the pond into Europe with final destination GVA, it's mostly on the cheapest flight I could find

Arno,
Quote:

it was a massive plane given the length of the route, pretty old and tatty

Exactly what I meant with 'antique' Very Happy .. The Boeing aircraft we just flew on in July into GVA from LHR was from a time (I forgot what year) when Airbus didn't even exist, complete with ripped up leather seats, ashtrays and coat-hooks next to the tray and for a fare triple of that of Easyjet ! Like I explained before, it was all I could find to get from LHR to GVA.
Anyway, it got us from A to B and even departure from T5 went surprisingly utterly smooth !

David Murdoch,

Yes, did the Continental route many times into GVA in the past, however not the most economical and convenient route.

Frankfurt with Lufthansa is a firm No, not competitive at all and by the way, I hate FRA.

Alastair Pink,

Yes they do, and I'll be flying this itinerary next month - the connection is a breeze, AMS is great - however , if you read my quote:
Quote:

it's mostly on the cheapest flight I could find

and that's where the catch is: this connection is brand new since April and almost prohibitively expensive and not competitive. When you travel to Europe as often as we do, you have to take the most economical itinerary, even if it means several Canadian stops with Air Canada, departing from Vancouver BC rolling eyes or departing from Seattle which has many more options to Europe.
Believe me we've done every possible itinerary in the past, however LHR is still the most challenging of connections. But the route from the US is so competitive, despite the high airport taxes, that at basically any time there is an attractive (under $1500.-) coach fare to be found.

Anyway - can ramble on for hours about these days of necessary air travel - I guess in my naivete was secretly hoping for a new start-up airline serving GVA out of LHR, but alas that probably ain't gonna happen now with the airline's dire state and difficult circumstances. Sad
latest report
jeu-d-esprit, I think the problem with anyone "new" out of Heathrow is that the London(All)-Geneva route is generally fairly competitive (4 airports, 4 airlines) plus good regional-GVA routes too - so a. there's unlikely to be a great deal of incentove, b. getting slots at Heathrow I would imagine is difficult to impossible and c. I expect Heathrow landing fees to be prohibitive.
snow report
David Murdoch,

Quote:

Would be surprised if BA's "antiques" were averaging any older than most of the US carriers?

Don't get me wrong - have nothing against BA, will fly them anytime if the fare is good and no better options available - however, transatlantic flights on US carriers are mostly done these days on new A330-200's and the stark contrast of departing LHR to GVA on an 'antique' Boeing was more of a hilarious surprise than a bothersome event Smile
snow report
David Murdoch,

BTW, being a frequent visitor at GVA for other arr. and dep. than my own, I'm just curious about Baboo ?
Noticed long check-in lines etc. - Any chance they might expand outside the mainland, or are they just a scheduled airline (charter) ?
snow conditions
jeu-d-esprit, "FlyBaboo" doesnt fly to LHR .... it's GVA/NCE-centric ... superb service but renowned for always being late ( do you like prop-driven aircraft? ) LMAO at the idea of 'antique' aircraft from BA given most US-airlines' assets ! BA only have 5 757's left !

Edit - and to answer your original question. From USA to GVA and avoiding London airports look at Swiss and Air France ... AF are interesting as they have a number of subsidiaries who link from transatlantic gateways .. Zurich is one of them.
snow report
jeu-d-esprit, Have you thought of going direct to Zurich with United, I also think either US Airways and/ or Continental fly the route as well. Easy 2 to 3 hour drive to Geneva from there, plus Zurich is good airport to deal with and avoids a transfer in Heathrow. I think Swiss fly from JFK, Chicago and LA direct as well.
ski holidays
jeu-d-esprit, Baboo are a funny animal - they had a great rep (again) until recently but they've had trouble on their Russian expansion plans. And a mate has had her flight cancelled the last three times in a row.

I'd be delighted if they could get their act back together again.

At present though they're hubbed in Geneva although flying to increasing destinations. And they've started taking on Embraer 190s which are very nice little jets at least from a passenger's point of view.
latest report
jeu-d-esprit wrote:
.. The Boeing aircraft we just flew on in July into GVA from LHR was from a time (I forgot what year) when Airbus didn't even exist.......

Really. The aircraft was pre-1974 then (assuming you meant the date Airbus entered airline service). Somehow I doubt it - if it was a BA aircraft.
snow report
achilles, Darn it .. I sometimes miss the obvious .... so it was a 1-11 /Trident Crying or Very sad Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
Which came into service with BA first? 757 or Agenterre? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, Moi .. Embarassed
latest report
achilles, P.S. it was a 777 that had the problem, not a 757...
snow report
David Murdoch, I grovel.
snow conditions
Agenterre,
Quote:

When we fly across the pond into Europe with final destination GVA, it's mostly on the cheapest flight I could find

Swiss and Air France absolutely no option, since they depart from only a handfull of places in the US and are not competive for my itinerary at all -in my humble O.
Flew AF couple of times from LA into CDG - no happy travels there ! Crying or Very sad

David Murdoch,
Quote:

the London(All)-Geneva route is generally fairly competitive (4 airports, 4 airlines)

May I ask which other airports with connections to GVA - besides LHR and LGW - you are referring to ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jeu-d-esprit, Actually, it's not 4, it's 5.

London City (Swiss, AF) [which is a lovely airport if such a thing exists - small, mostly business/frequent travellers so everyone knows what they're doing, all very easy], Luton and Stansted (EZ) - none of which of course really help you I'm afraid...

One thought, if you can book early enough, Easyjet have some really good prices out of Gatwick into Lyon and Geneva at the moment. If you can find an economic routing into Gatwick.
snow report
jeu-d-esprit, there's...
London Gatwick
London Heathrow
London Luton
London Stansted
London City (this one is actually in the city too!!!!!)
snow report
you can also get to GVA from london city/luton/stansted but none are an easy transfer from LHR or LGW
snow conditions
David Murdoch,

I'm still hoping, despite troubling circumstances the airlines find themselves in these days - there were rumors - that Virgin Atlantic will move into a Seattle slot. Now that would be an interesting solution to our European travel needs, especially if they would fly out of LGW ! Very Happy

FlyBaboo : I remember now - our gardien will be flying it for a Tunisia-holiday sometime this month !
snow report
jeu-d-esprit wrote:
Is there anyone between you FF out there who has a better option for us ?

What is an 'FF' ?

Is it an unkind reference to the Lardy Boys ?
latest report
jeu-d-esprit, just make sure she checks her Ts&Cs. Our chum recently had her GVA-NCE cancelled and although they offered to get her onto the next quEasyjet if she missed it it was her own fault and no longer their problem. Alternatively she could try the next morning on a FU-boo flight. We had 1 hr 10 to get from Cham to GVA (we did). Seemed rather unreasonable to me. Also, the last time her flight was cancelled they offered her a 100 (something) voucher rather than a replacement flight with a 3 month expiry. So the "replacement" flight cost an additional 30 somethings. Really not very impressed.

Although, not nearly as unimpressed as me, having had a heathrow-amsterdam trip cancelled cos of storms over london, phoned BMI who said, "no worries, just call in the next 6 months and well re-book you". Cool. 2 weeks later they ask me to pay for the return leg as I voluntarily hadn't used it. It didn't take long to convince them that I hadn't used it as they hadn't been able to get me there in the first place...

Teleportation anyone?
ski holidays
David Murdoch,

Sorry, as a half-ass americain, wink being so ignorant about chats in the 'proper English language' despite a short re-education last month in Oxford - what is a chum ?
snow conditions
jeu-d-esprit, a friend, mate or even... a "buddy".
snow conditions
'Two nations divided by a common language' Toofy Grin
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
jeu-d-esprit, a friend, mate or even... a "buddy".

Or shark bait? wink
ski holidays
fatbob, ROFLMAO
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy