Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arlberg for a day- advice please?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm off for a week's skiing next Feb 7th, flying into Stuttgart, I've got an apartment booked in the Dolomites which I must vacate Sat 14th AM. My return flight isn't until Sun 15th at 19:00, I fancy a day in the Arlberg as it's kinda on the way back and I 've never been before. So if I get going early Sat, I could be up at St Anton in 2.5 hrs, by 9:30-10ish.

So, I need some advice as to which lift base to hit, I'll have a car to park and my own equipment. Which area is best for intermediates (I'm not up to steep and deep yet)? Would Lech be a better bet? I'd like to experience the legendary apres too. Will I be able to find a cheap last-minute pension for that Sat night? and how?

Cheers for any help you can offer! snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Travelling by car from St Anton to Stuttgart on a Sunday will be extremely busy especially as it is the holidays & the autobahn has major bottlenecks & traffic Jams.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What would be the best way to avoid the traffic as I must be at Stuttgart airport by about 5pm on Sun 15th? Why would Sunday be so bad? Where exactly would I expect traffic to be busiest?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
luigi, ignoring stantons traffic info for the minute rolling eyes Dolomites to St.Anton is a bit of a treck. I guess the way to go ( if the weather permits ) would be to drive past Bozen (Bolzano)->Meran->Reschenpass->Landeck->St.Anton. Alternatively over the Brenner to Innsbruck and back to Landeck, but that's further. Not sure you can make it in 2.5 hours either way.
Once in St.Anton you will find that there are parking facilities but that they cost! You can usually park at the Rendlbahn, and that also subsidises your breakfast up on Rendl. I have often skied all day and just gone to the tourist office 'Fremdenverkehrsamt' in the evening to see what free. If you don't find something in St.Anton direct then you should find something in Pettneu or Flirsch a few Km back towards Landeck ( gotta be a bit careful about the apres then of course ).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was hoping that driving during daytime on Sunday that everyone that could would be on the slopes, no commercial traffic, just holidaymakers on a Sunday changeover, but Saturday changeover is more usual, isn't it?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Steilhang, thanks for the info, I'm staying at Pedraces in Val Badia, so ViaMichelin routeplanner gives 2h40 journeytime via the Brenner and Innsbruck, but if it takes a bit longer it won't matter too much.

So, Rendl base is free parking? I was looking at the piste map and Galzig area's got some nice long runs down to St Christoph, is Rendl better?

You think it would be possible to get last-minute accommodation from the tourist office for a Saturday night stay?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
luigi, no parking at Rendl is not free (nothing in St.Anton is for free Sad ), but the parking ticket reduces the price of your food up at the Rendl middle station. Rendl is a nice ski area, usually a lot less busy than the main areas on the other side on Kapall and Gampen, and well suited to intermediates. It's easy to switch between the two sides so I quite often start off on Rendl and then switch over to the bigger area on the other side when the morning crowds have subsided at the bottom!
As far as 2h40 for the journey is concerned, I think that's probably a bit optimistic, because the Brenner is almost always a building site and the area around Innsbruck can be quite busy. Not sure though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
luigi,
Quote:
You think it would be possible to get last-minute accommodation from the tourist office for a Saturday night stay
I've done it that way often enough. Like I say, you may end up in one of the villages down the valley instead of St.Anton itself, so not so much nightlife but nice in different kind of way!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This will be the holiday period. Weekend traffic will be heavy on Saturday & Sunday & then you have to factor in the weather. Quite often it is heavy snow at that time of year.

St Anton to Stuttgart you need to allow at least 3.15 mins drive time but more often it is a 4 hr drive.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&saddr=st+anton+am+arlberg&daddr=A14+%4047.398390,+9.693200+to:stuttgart&hl=en&geocode=2249618444453248682,47.398390,9.693200&mra=ls&via=1&sll=48.169749,9.711914&sspn=2.597408,4.943848&ie=UTF8&ll=47.945786,9.711914&spn=2.608728,4.943848&z=8

Bottlenecks.

In Austria
Langam to Bludenz
Bludenz to Bregenz A4 Portal Amberg Tunnel

In Germany
Lindau Memmingen Autobahn is not complete on southern section (just a normal highway)
The Autobahn Intersection at Memmingen (Munich-Stuttgart traffic)

The upside is Stuttgart airport is on the east side of Stuttgart right along side the Autobahn.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Steilhang, thanks again for your advice. The switch at the bottom between Rendl and Galzig/Gampen, is it on foot, lift or bus? It doesn't look like the pistes connect.

stanton, thanks for the traffic update, good job we've got all day Sunday, I was hoping it would be about 3 hrs, but seems like we better play safe if it's likely to be busy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
luigi, the switch either by bus or foot! I just walk it, it takes about five minutes. they have recently also built an airport style travelway which takes you part of the way rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steilhang, sounds easy, will be following your advice, thanks. You don't know a good place for lunch on Sunday at Lindau harbourfront, do you?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
luigi wrote:
Steilhang, sounds easy, will be following your advice, thanks. You don't know a good place for lunch on Sunday at Lindau harbourfront, do you?

There are alot of places there but in Winter your be inside Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton wrote:,
Quote:

There are alot of places there but in Winter your be inside

I wasn't planning to sit outside unless it's freakishly mild, any particular recommendations for places with tables by windows?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steilhang wrote:
luigi, the switch either by bus or foot! I just walk it, it takes about five minutes. they have recently also built an airport style travelway which takes you part of the way rolling eyes
Lindau island is full of cafes, restaurants and hotels. Just walk around a bit and take your pick. It's a really nice place!
latest report
Steilhang wrote:
Steilhang wrote:
Lindau island is full of cafes, restaurants and hotels. Just walk around a bit and take your pick. It's a really nice place!
OK, thanks, will do!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy