Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe D'huez - Posh Restaurants

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend the best places to eat in Alpe D'huez.

I am wanting to book for Xmas Day and New Years Day evenings for a posh dinner out in top notch restaurants that would give a celebrity chef a run for its money. I am not looking for the local pizzeria or steakhouse. I am looking for exclusive, inventive food and romantic.

thanks to all who give feedback

happy sliding this winter coming

xx
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My immediate reaction was to try changing resort. I don't associate Alpe D'Huez with "top notch restaurants that would give a celebrity chef a run for its money". But maybe someone will prove me wrong.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I hear of an excellent McDonalds in Grenoble, it's an hours drive but could be well worth it!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Au P'tit Creux is probably the best place in the resort.

Bonsoir Clara in Villard Reculas was getting some recommendations last time I was there but haven't tried it myself.

the cabane de poutat on the slopes is v good too - don't know whether they operate in the evenings with skidoos?

Laughing "p'booby" - swear filter strikes again. p't1t is closer to the name
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno wrote:
Au P'booby Creux is probably the best place in the resort.

And I can just imagine the OP asking people where, exactly, it is Laughing Laughing Laughing .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Au Petit Creux, top of the steps up from tht tourist office, v nice. La Cabane doesn't do evenings.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
take your pick

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Isere-Drome/L-Alpe-D-Huez#Bars

Chalet du Lac Besson is one of the "must do's" in the week but best to book as it gets busy. You can eat in the evening too, they pick you up by ratrac. Chris Gill rates it as one of the Alp's top ten mountain restaurants.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, nice one.

Quote:
The woodfire-grilled lamb is superb; traditional cheese dishes are another speciality.
. That Guardian article was written in 2002, though. From your comment it would appear to be still good. Whether it is up to being one of "top notch restaurants that would give a celebrity chef a run for its money" is another question. Definitely worth a look, though. Concerning views, I see Gill has no problem with the views at Refuge Evariste Chancel in La Grave. Nor do I.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I actually think the on-mountain dining at Alpe d'Huez compares pretty well with pretty much anywhere I have been. The in-town dining (p't1t creux aside) doesn't really stand up to it for some reason.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles wrote:
davidof, nice one.

Quote:
The woodfire-grilled lamb is superb; traditional cheese dishes are another speciality.

One thing about the review, Chris Gill went to the restaurant, paid for his own food and didn't tell them that he was a journalist about to write a review. The first they knew was when I brought them a copy of the article. That gives me a lot of faith in what Chris writes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:
take your pick

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Isere-Drome/L-Alpe-D-Huez#Bars

Chalet du Lac Besson is one of the "must do's" in the week but best to book as it gets busy. You can eat in the evening too, they pick you up by ratrac. Chris Gill rates it as one of the Alp's top ten mountain restaurants.

We ate there one evening for a treat about 3/4 years ago. It was very nice. Picked up by piste basher. whisked up the mountain ( not a posh limousine). Atmosphere was great. We all had a great meal. I wouldn't say celebrity chef/outstanding bistro standard but certainly one of the better meals I've had in the Alps. From memory it was about £40 pp inc copious amounts of wine
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
got told about these restaurants aswell.

passe montagne - told to go here on new years day - any thoughts welcome

genepi

cremalliere

thanks
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
innerspaceservices, The Restaurant D'Altiport is pretty good and stumble-able from town, not celebrity chef good but not bad. And another shout for Chalet Lac Besson as best slopeside restaurant, Cabane de Poutat has changed hands a couple of times and really lost its sparkle . I would expect booking will be essential for Xmas or New Years day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ahem..... if I may hijack this thread.....? Smile

Please tell a cheapskate like me where the best value places are in ADH, thanks. snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the ice perv, Captain Sandwich. Laughing
snow report
the ice perv, The Hors Sac at Vaujany! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy