Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zell am See in the Summer

Poster: A snowHead
Found a cracking H/B deal to Zell at the end of this month.

What's it like in the summer? Is skiing still possible at Kaprun?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnboy, I have been there in August a few times, last time being last summer. I have no idea how the Kitzsteinhorn is doing this summer but it didn't look too healthy last August or 2 years previous. Whatever, it is "a long ride for a short slide" and there are plenty better things to be doing out there at this time of year. Biking opportunities are huge, hiking even huger (if there is such a word). Try biking up the Grossglockner Strasse or taking a hike in the Hohe Tauern National Park. Ice cave at Werfen is a must. Take the train into Salzburg for a bit of culture. Or just chill out round the lake and swim, sail, whatever. If you play golf you'll like the course.

ZamZ is pretty busy in August and plenty going on at night (unlike most ski resorts). You might be surprised by the sheer quantity of middle eastern folks. It has become a "Mecca" ('scuse the pun) for them each summer. There's a love/hate thing going on with the locals but I'm not exactly sure why - no alcohol being purchased probably. A bit odd seeing fully veiled ladies in the alps but they are very pleasant even if they did scare the kids! Their men folk have never heard of queueing but otherwise just fine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller,

Cheers, Wouldn't be going for the skiing anyway. As you say more to chill out, walk, cycle, sail etc. Skied there once and it is a beautiful place.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnboy, good place to learn to rock climb.... if you fancy something more intense than hiking
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah, the climbing round there is particularly good and quite accessable. I have the guide book so can give more info if you want it.

I was in ZAS last year and as Bode Swiller says, there's plenty of people there. Try the white water rafting at Taxenbach too. The rafting is far from scary but it's a good laugh.

Have fun
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi,
Have also seen good deal for end of August. Can't decide between Zell or Kaprun. What to do lots of activities during day and also enjoy nights out. What is the social life like in both resorts? Any advice? How far is the glacier from the village of Kaprun? Clare
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CKskier,

I have been there in the winter. The Glacier is a short bus ride from Kaprun, but not much further from Zell. I think Zell would be a better place to stay on the lake
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnboy wrote:
CKskier,

I think Zell would be a better place to stay on the lake

I agree, particularly so as a summer destination
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller wrote:
ZamZ is pretty busy in August and plenty going on at night (unlike most ski resorts). You might be surprised by the sheer quantity of middle eastern folks. It has become a "Mecca" ('scuse the pun) for them each summer. There's a love/hate thing going on with the locals but I'm not exactly sure why - no alcohol being purchased probably. A bit odd seeing fully veiled ladies in the alps but they are very pleasant even if they did scare the kids! Their men folk have never heard of queueing but otherwise just fine.

I have recently returned from a week's walking based in Zell am Zee myself and I noticed your post just before I left.

I have to admit that I did find the middle eastern presence a bit disconcerting, but at least I was prepared for it.

The feeling to me was that the Europeans and Arabs were just not mixing at all. We were in a group of about 30 staying in a four star hotel just outside Zell and as far as I could see the rest of the guests were all middle eastern. It was little things I eventually noticed. The hotel restaurant always laid out an extensive buffet breakfast and a buffet course in the evening. On any other trip I have been on, I find that after a few days you tend to make just a little small talk at least with one or two familiar faces when helping yourself to salads or whatever. With this lot however there was nothing at all yet I know some of them spoke good English because I had heard them in reception making various arrangements. Obviously you dare not even look at the women let alone try and catch their eye.

Their relationship with the staff was the same. With us the staff were soon in the habit of asking how our day went or what we were about to do during the day ahead, whilst with the Arabs the staff simply took their orders. So I would agree that there is a love/hate thing going on with the locals. The locals I am sure just want them for the money and although they do not use the bar, they all looked pretty well heeled and probably all stayed in quality accommodation.

Well the weather was pretty awful but the walking was good in the circumstances. We also used buses, trains and taxis to go walking in Kaprun, Saalbach and Bad Gastein so Zell is a good base. The town is surprisingly noisy at night so I would be careful where you stay.

On the one free day we had, some took the train to Salsburg, whilst three of us went to the Eagles's Nest, the mountain top retreat built for Hitler's fiftieth birthday located above Berchtesgaden. Now that was a different day out.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wouldn't worry about the middle eastern presence, they are like every other group, some nice some not so nice. They only stay in certain hotels and allegedly some of the hotels will not take them in. They do keep to themselves and have generally always been very pleasant to me.

I have heard stories that there have been problems with rooms booked for 2 people filled with whole families and the hotel staff being kept out the room for the duration. The main problem with the locals is that they like to sit for ages at the outdoor tables of bars/cafes in large groups but will only order a couple of coffees amongst their group which is not exactly profitable for the establishments.

One of the funniest sights I have ever seen was in September a couple of years ago, on a coolish early autumn morning. Cue middle eastern chap and wife leaving hotel, he dressed in leather, sheepskin lined full length trench coat, flying boots and flying helmet, she in full length fur coat and fur hat! the entire street stopped and stared and in some cases openly laughed. Have never seen any Arabs in the winter for some reason Puzzled

I would stay in Zell in the summer, definitely visit Kaprun, but Zell, with the lake, has more to offer and better public transport links. As Bode Swiller said above- go up the Glacier to see the view, but unless you are desparate to ski or just want to be able to say you skied in August, its a long way up. You also have to be early as the snow is too soft by late morning, don't go on a cloudy day just to ski, its not worth it in summer if you can't see the view.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was told that the Zell area target all their advertising at the Arab countries.....hence the big influx.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We had been to Zell this year and we had a blast. I like going to Europe for my skiing holidays. Last year we had been in Germany with some friends and it the weather was was great. We didn't have to pay for the accomodation because they own some property in Germany which came in quite handy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had an energetic week in Kaprun returning last Monday. Skiied 3 days - 2 days in poor visibility - snow last Saturday

- Sunday was glorious. What you see here is pretty much what is open so not a lot.
The instructor who worked with my teenagers gave explanations of how much less is open now compared to 10 years ago and how much shallower the snow is.
The Egyptians head for the glacier in hundreds too often poorly dressed and may try walking down the ski piste and try to use the Poma up in shoes..... Very Happy
The cycling/swimming/walking was fantastic. Zell am see was a bit overwhelming after 4 days in Kaprun - we scuttled back to peace & quiet to swim on a very hot day!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just come back from 3 weeks in Zell. We had a great time with the weather on the whole very good. There is so much to do as has been previously posted. We found the Austrian hosts to be warm and friendly with nothing too much trouble.

The arabs tend to stay close to the centre of Zell town for some reason. Although I must admit it is quite strange to see so many women covered head to toe when you are not used to it. Have to say it tickled me when I saw them eat though!!!

Overall it was a fantastic place with beautiful scenery, a real must for a summer and winter holiday.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wonder if the influx of Arabs is a new thing? I did a very rainy week in Zell in summer 2001 and can't remember seeing any. Having said that it did pelt it down the whole time (we even got a bit of snow atop the Krimml waterfalls) so they probably kept indoors.
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, We have an annual influx of religious jews in August!
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, it's been a feature for about the past 4 or 5 years in Zell, but not before that really, that I remember at least. The local tourist office are still doing seminars for property owners and those working in tourism with things like 'how to do business with our middle eastern guests' so it sounds like it is not something that has been going on for many years!

D
ski holidays
According to the Austrian press the number of the Arab turists increased by 4 times in the past 5 years in Austria.
Interesting that last year altogether 280,000 Arabs came to Austria, and half of them spend their holiday at Zell am see.
They love the lake, the mountains, and are happy to touch the snow on the glacier.
Since the Ramadan month is earlier and earlier in the following years, their numbers will decrease in the near future.
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
I wonder if the influx of Arabs is a new thing? I did a very rainy week in Zell in summer 2001 and can't remember seeing any. Having said that it did pelt it down the whole time (we even got a bit of snow atop the Krimml waterfalls) so they probably kept indoors.

Sounds like a gap in the market for goretex burqas!!
snow report
Spent 2 weeks in Kaprun last summer. The weather is not good on the whole. Everyone I know that has gone in Summer has had pretty crap weather. Agree with other comments on the Arabs. One of them decided to take a swipe at my 9 year old son up on the glacier - not a pleasant experience and spoiled what up to that point had been a great day.

If you're going skiing I would not expect too much. It took us 2 hours to get to glacier (from base station) and 2 back.

There are much nicer places to stay in Austria. For example Saalbach just up the road is stunning and great for walking/cycling. If you're looking to go skiing would probably suggest Saas Fee or some other glacial resort, as Kaprun is not that great. Mayrhofen could also be good. Spent a couple os summer holidays there and loved it. Did not ski in those days so could not comment on the Hintertux glacier.
ski holidays
boabski, Everyone you know has been a bit unlucky if their weather has been crap. I have enjoyed some beautiful weather there in the summer. Yes, it can also be crap and my advice to anyone who has never been to the alps in summer is that if good weather is important to you then its not the place to go.

There must have been some problem with the lifts if it took you two hours each way, it takes about 20 mins in high ski season. There are less cars on the cable in summer ( as there is everywhere else i've been) but two hours sounds strange?

IMHO as a village Kaprun is much more interesting in summer than Saalbach. However Saalbach is a great ski resort and great for summer walking and mountain biking, as it is in a one road valley it is no good for cycling. I agree that Kaprun is not the best summer skiing, as I said above it is only worth it on a clear day and if you really feel the need to get a few turns in and can't wait 'til winter.

As for the Arab, I hope you gave him a good kicking! Shocked wink rolling eyes

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 4-09-08 9:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
FenlandSkier, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
robboj wrote:
boabski, Everyone you know has been a bit unlucky if their weather has been crap. I have enjoyed some beautiful weather there in the summer. Yes, it can also be crap and my advice to anyone who has never been to the alps in summer is that if good weather is important to you then its not the place to go.

There must have been some problem with the lifts if it took you two hours each way, it takes about 20 mins in high ski season. There are less cars on the cable in summer ( as there is everywhere else i've been) but two hours sounds strange?

IMHO as a village Kaprun is much more interesting in summer than Saalbach. However Saalbach is a great ski resort and great for summer walking and mountain biking, as it is in a one road valley it is no good for cycling. I agree that Kaprun is not the best summer skiing, as I said above it is only worth it on a clear day and if you really feel the need to get a few turns in and can't wait 'til winter.

As for the Arab, I hope you gave him a good kicking! Shocked wink rolling eyes

Was even there on my Honeymoon 13 years ago and weather sucked. Agree that in general the weather in Alps not that great in summer, but fantastic in winter. I've been about 5/6 times to Alps in summer and have had some absolutely amazing weather. Think Zell may suffer due to it's proximity to Gross Glockner etc. The 2 hours was casued by the middle section (cable car) on the way up and the finicular on the way down. Worst queues I've ever experienced - there was even folk fainting! And as far as the Arab was concerned the boys father nearly got a kicking from me
latest report
boabski, "The 2 hours was casued by the middle section (cable car) on the way up and the finicular on the way down"

FYI everyone else -good news is the funicular and the middle cable car have now been replaced by new gondolas, the only cable car remaining is from the Alpincenter at 2500m up to the Bergstation at 3000m. This work was done in 2002 following the tragic fire on the funicular in 2001.
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
Sideshow_Bob, We have an annual influx of religious jews in August!

A few years ago in Klosters/Davos in summer we kept crossing paths with a large group of English orthodox Jews of all shapes, sizes and ages wandering around the mountains. They were all wholly inappropriately dressed, a cross between the Sound of Music and Stamford Hill, but they seemed to be having a jolly time. Apparently a group goes there every year. I don't know why I found it a bit odd and amusing, but I did.
snow report
boabski, You would not want to generalise on the weather in Austria would you? I have been many times and more often than not have on the whole had very good weather. 3 weeks this summer and 17 days of fantastic sunshine .....The other days were rainy, but I will take this every time as without rainy days you would not get the greenery, just take a look at Spain.. Or have you had crap weather there too? rolling eyes

Give your experience by all means but just stop generalising...

By the way Saalbach although a fantastic Ski area is as a village no where near as nice as Kaprun IMHO.
snow conditions
dk100 - where were you in Austria just out of interest? I check the webcams pretty much daily (sad I know) and looking at St Anton, Saalbach and Serfaus it was cloudy/rainy I reckon about 70% of the time throughout the summer. I obvioulsy do not get the Kaprun thing. Nice village etc but felt that for the size of it, it lacked something - can't quite put my finger on it. I was seriously thinking of buying a flat there as you would get winter and summer rentals etc but was disappointed in the place ultimately. Must have been that I felt it was nowhere near as nice as the Arlberg region as I just love St Anton and Lech - now if I could afford something there, that would be excellent, but highly unlikely unfortunately
latest report
boabski, As per my previous posts we were in Zell am See and have been there many times. The weather tends to be pretty good, which goes against your experiences I know. 17 sunny days with temps up to 37c in the sun this time around! Maybe you were just unlucky? Fair enough about Kaprun that is your opinion although Zell is much nicer than both Kaprun and Saalbach IMO. Would be tricky buying in the Tyrol region even if you did have the cash as local rules tend not to want foreigners buying property there. Salzburgerland on the other hand has a much more open policy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy