Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

first snowboard?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
i took a snowboard lesson while i was on my hols last year and really enjoyed it but the rental boards where so heavy it was like having lead weights attacthed to your feet. i want to try it again but i want my own board this time but i dont know where to start. what do i look for in a board? i want something thats going to help me progress but not hinder me by being out of my range. however i would like a board that i can keep for a good while and take on different terrain as i get better, i dont want to have to buy another one in a yrs time as its a bog standard board and i would need to upgrade again. so any tips? something thats easy to use but i can progress on for a good few yrs Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Let me send you a little book..
Drop your address to dickie@fall-line.co.uk and I'll sling a copy of the Document Snowboard Gear Guide into the post, pointing out a couple of boards to look at.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
anyone gonna Help????????????
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get the guide he is offering you that should be alot of help included in there!! They do a great ski guide, so i guess the snowboard guide is similar!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
grazygeorges, listen to fallliner, he's offered you a seriously good resource for free and here's some advice that's equally gratis . . . if you're serious about boarding, spend your time and money buying a good, well fitting, medium flex pair of boots before you even look at buying a board. Comfy feet will let you ride any old plank with a reasonable level of control but more importantly, your own boots will let you try may great boards before you splash your cash. You can go even further and buy your own bindings and have them fitted to a rental board.

There is no 'one board' recommendation as there are far too variables to each individual and to be brutal, there's not a snowflake in Hell's chance that at your level you could tell the difference or benefit from that of any mid-range snowboard.

Boots first, then some serious instruction/practice, probably bindings next, then when you've decided where and how you want to play on the snow . . . you can choose a board with the characteristics that suit you and your riding style.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ive already given my details to fallliner so im hoping that will be a great help. i didnt realise you could fit your own bindings onto rentals, will every major resort let me do that? ye i know what you mean about the boots its the same for skiing, already got boots in mind looking at burton ion and salamon f20s but im thinking i'll have to wait until the 08/09 range comes out to try any. any recommendations regarding bindings?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

will every major resort let me do that

How can they stop you? Take board back to apartment, swap bindings over.

If I were you, however, I'd get a good pair of boots and buy a cheap beginner board/bindings package. Masque is right in saying that at this stage you won't notice much difference from one board to another, but you will soon spot that rental kit is rubbish (much more rubbish than rental skis). I started on 200€ worth of cheap package and it did me very well for a whole season, after which I sold it to another beginner bird for her first season's boarding.

As for boots, I recommend trying K2, very comfy and top quality.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

you will soon spot that rental kit is rubbish (much more rubbish than rental skis)

Would def agree with that. I've given up renting snowboards now after being grudgingly handed various boards that were too big; too directional; different sized bindings; bindings that came apart; unadjustable bindings screwed down so tight they won't budge; by shops who admitted they don't know much about boards; or "would ban them if given the chance, we only stock them becoz we have to" rolling eyes

I've now got a selection of cheap bargains carefully garnered off eBay during the quiet summer months, will shortly take them all to a snodome, try them out, stick the losers back on eBay just before Xmas and probably make a profit - ha! Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the ice perv, so that's where they're going! If there's a flexible one with a bit of pop that you don't want I'll have it, I've been failing to win on a few lately as I've not wanted to pay much for a board I'll trash.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
grazygeorges, If you want a recommendation that'll suit almost anyone, I'd suggest a Burton Air or Custom. If you have big feet, there are also wider versions available (King and Custom Wide?).

Boards that anyone, at any level can get on with.

I've been riding very long, very stiff boards for years and bought an Air last year for freestyle/general messing around, but I ended up riding it almost every day last season, only getting the big stick out when there was powder around. Was very, very impressed with the Air. Very responsive, carves extremely well, but forgiving enough to learn on. I'm a BASI snowboard instructor by the way.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hmm i was looking at burton air as it seems to get a good write up and also ride decade seems to be a nice board from the description in snow and rock
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As someone who bought his fiorst board last year I'll echo Masque's and Lizzard's comments...Good boots first...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
grazygeorges wrote:
i want to try it again but i want my own board this time but i dont know where to start. what do i look for in a board?

Are you a man, woman, short, tall, fat, skinny, left handed or allergic to anything? Have you measured your legs yet? If the right one is longer then you will be goofy, left longer then you will be regular. Have you considered what picture you want on the board? Black and white is faster due to less ink being used and saving weight.

Holla at ya boi Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
get a helmet first and some padded shorts too, it will be painful Very Happy edit - oh yeah, just get something that is a nice colour too, unless you are tall then get a long board, but if you are heavy also get a long board, but if you are heavy and short get a medium board, but get a board that is a bit bendy too
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bendy is good, but not if you're really tall and heavy, then not so bendy. Red or blue are the bendiest colors.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy