Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Credit Crunch?! Affecting YOUR SKIING?

Poster: A snowHead
No way it's gonna stop me getting my ski fix either. I have used the poor exchange rate with the euro as an excuse to go to the states instead.

Like others here I will cut down on spending to compensate. Think I've only bought late dated and reduced food (except tins) for the last month. As far as clothes go this year I've replaced a pair of jeans that fell apart and bought 5 tops for work.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lizzard wrote:
Hurtle, it's a piece of moronic soundbitage.

Frosty the Snowman, what do you mean 'still'? I am currently working in supermarket retail.

Soundbitage yes, but not particularly moronic, since it has meaning. Actually, it's rather less moronic than soundbitage! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hello BBC, myself, girlfriend and two other friends booked a Jan 09 Canada ski trip last month, why? because it was less than £450 each for two weeks flight plus accomms. So even if the credit crunch was affecting people, Im sure that those with any business savvie will be adjusting their price structure to still offer an affordable ski holiday, now if they just lowered the lift pass prices........... Laughing

As a director of a small UK outdoor activity company providing, climbing, walking mountaineering as well as adventure activities for individuals, groups and families at locations in North Wales, I can say that the credit cruch has probably effected family holidays this year and this can be seen in our higher than normal sales of family orientated activities throughout July and August. Whether they ski or not I don't know, perhaps they do so they chose to stay in the UK for their summer holidays so that they can still have a ski holiday.
Also our winter courses are booking up earlier but I don't think that has any direct bearing on the credit crunch as it is still cheap to go to Europe for winter type activites.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

now if they just lowered the lift pass prices...........

I hear a rumour that the UK ops have just tried that one on with the lift company in 2Alpes and have been told to stick it up their collective bottom. Laughing

I have no idea whether or not this is true.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard,
Quote:

They pay a bonus for speaking English, which I think I could just about manage.

and there's me thinking you were from Pompey Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
But there's a difference between the mortgage you can afford to put a decent roof over your head and the nonsense which some banks have been creating with 120% mortgages at ridiculous multiples of salary. And nobody "needs" a credit card in the same way they "need" a mortgage. Or at least, they should be careful to pay it off every month and not pay the ruinous interest rates charged. And as for anyone who buys stuff they don't really need and puts the charge onto store cards, at their interest rates.....

For those of us with more resources than we need to live on (which is everybody who goes on ski holidays, quite obviously) the question is one of priorities. I have friends who say they've never been "able to afford" to go skiing who spend more on their cars (one each, both in their peak depreciation years) than I spend on my Alpine apartment and a season lift pass.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, what's wrong with Portsmuthian English then? Or are they all now speaking that bizarre faux-Jamaican patois that seems so popular these days? (And sounds nothing like the real thing, I should add.)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard, one of the myths of working abroad is that you get loads of spare time, but the reality is that you do not unless you are retired or part-time working, so good luck with next season and the new job. Out of interest did you actually get out on the snow that much whilst running the chalet? at the few chalets I have stayed, the staff usually managed only to get a few hours a day at the most on the slopes and half the time were too knackered to ski.

During a visist to see old Pompey Poly friends a month ago, I was stupidly pursuaded to get in a three man canoe and paddle from Southsea to Hayling Island - dodging the dredgers on route to the two waterside pubs on Hayling Island. Needless to say I refused the paddle backm in favour of extra liquid refreshment and a taxi ! They do talk a bit strange in Pompey though !!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops, as a chalet host you do get lots of time on the mountain (about 11:00 to 17:00 daily if you're doing it right). If your chalet staff were too tired to ski it's because they were drinking too much. Bar staff likewise. Both positions pay about £300pcm max.

As hotel manager (please remember that there is a difference between a hotel and a chalet) I skied one full day, two days up until I started work at 15:00 and two days after I finished work at 15:00.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

now if they just lowered the lift pass prices...........

I hear a rumour that the UK ops have just tried that one on with the lift company in 2Alpes and have been told to stick it up their collective bottom. Laughing

I have no idea whether or not this is true.

As someone who has been contracting with TOs then lift pass prices, as with every other contract, are up for negotiation at the end of every contract period. The amount of discount a TO will be able to negotiate will depend on how much business they do in resort. For example, in one resort Inghams were getting double the discount Crystal were getting. Things like free LPs for the staff are also heavily dependent on visitor numbers.

So yes, of course TOs will try to negotiate a good price and of course the lift company will try the same. I'm sure your chalets do the same with suppliers - laundry, food, drink etc.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof, Eggs. Grandmothers.

I suspect they have been looking for bigger discounts this year since they are getting stung on fuel prices, exchange rates etc, and DAL is having none of it because business from Belgium, Holland and Eastern Europe is increasingly more significant than that from the UK.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard wrote:
davidof, Eggs. Grandmothers.

when did you become a grandmother? Little Angel

Anway TO asks for discount is not going to make the front page any day of the week.

Still even a quite small drop in demand can have a big impact on a lift operator's profits but with an increase in turnover last year I can't see any lift co. dropping prices next season.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 6-08-08 14:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mortgage will get paid regardless, just means I cut back on frivolities. All the bills will get paid too.

Holidays are always a case of saving for me anyway, so it's just a case of putting the money aside at the start of the month like normal.

Will deffo be doing a December/early Jan trip and an April boarding trip too. I'm aiming to get out in March too, but it's just a case of holiday time, saving and getting a good deal. We'll all always get to do our skiing and boarding I think – that's the kid of peeps we are – but we'll just have to cut our respective cloths accordingly
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
we have sacraficed our summer hols this year to use the money for pre booking ski trips. we normally go 3 times a season each year and book late. This year we are booking early and intend to pay for next years summer hols in the winter etc so once booked and paid, there is no worry about building debts. It's the old fashioned way I guess.

We have stopped living in credit and stay in the black... the c/cards have gone ... YESSSSSSSS !! snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have booked up as usual - so no not affected.

But we have always spent less than we earnt and not borrowed - so to a large extent the Credit Crunch is not an issue. Yes the mortgage is now costing a little more, but when we took it out, we took it out at a level which we could afford even if rates went up to 15%
latest report
pam w,
Quote:

For those of us with more resources than we need to live on (which is everybody who goes on ski holidays, quite obviously) the question is one of priorities. I have friends who say they've never been "able to afford" to go skiing who spend more on their cars (one each, both in their peak depreciation years) than I spend on my Alpine apartment and a season lift pass.

I so agree, we still get raised eyebrows and "oooh, going skiing AGAIN?" and "skiing is such an expensive holiday so we've never tried it" from people who choose to spend their money on exotic summer hols, big houses, private education and lavish entertaining. I can't be bothered anymore explaining that it doesn't have to break the bank and it's worth it Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Quote:

private education

ah yes! If we start looking at the absurd cost of private education - paid out of net salary - then you're not just looking at ski holidays, you're looking at savings on a scale which could finance an entire lifestyle revolution!
snow report
I didn't ski while my two kids were educated in independent schools.

Come to think of it I can only afford to ski now after they have finished the education, left the house and I only need to pay for only for the wife and myself. It is a good job that they are not interested in going skiing with us, after a couple of trips together. It pays to be boring parents.
snow report
Luckily our children are as mad about snow as we are and happily come along. I have noticed that teenagers from skiing families tend to holiday with parents for longer than most wink Yes it does cost a little more with them but it is a great family holiday (aside from trying to get out in the mornings with clobber for a ski school rendezvous, though this is getting easier as they get older) and it brings out my competitive spirit when it comes to snowballing and tobogganing (haven't a hope of getting ahead on the slopes though)

That said, I LOVE my annual ski weekend with my girlfriends, when I don't have to worry about the boys.
snow report
I looks like I will be giving up any solo holidays next season and having 2 family holidays. They kids love their skiing as much as me and it seems a bit selfish to repeat last years 2.5 weeks away without them. The more you have to pay for, the more the "kkkkkkerunch" is costing.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, while the current financial climate is not directly affecting my job (or Mr Lou's at the moment) the cost of living seems to have risen steeply of late. Aside from the usual culprits ie energy bills, food and fuel, even childrens' match fees, for goodness sake, have risen dramatically! Our trip to La Ros next season is being helped greatly by the use of a friend's apartment so it won't affect our x2 family trips this year. I think my two probably enjoy a weekend without me anyway, even if they are miffed it's on snow. They have several trips through the year with cubs, scouts, school, cadets etc to even things out Very Happy
ski holidays
Lou wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, Our trip to La Ros next season is being helped greatly by the use of a friend's apartment so it won't affect our x2 family trips this year. Very Happy
Now they are the friends you want Very Happy
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, kids and dog on strict instructions not to fall out with their peers lest they put potential trips at risk Very Happy
Quite excited as looks very nice with a few extras such as sauna, pool etc. It's a business owned place and hoping the opportunity may arise every now and again Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
if feel i may get shot here BUT,

is the credit crunch not going to have more affect on those less fortunte, say who can only just afford one summer holiday a year..and poss cannot afford that now !
rather than those who choose to go skiing.

the reason i say this is,
i never saw a summer holiday abroad till i was 18, yet i skied every year sometimes twice a year from the age of about 3 till i was 21, and had many camping trips in the uk to afford the skiing trips.

it is all about what would you sacrifice, i guess what i am trying to say is chavs dont ski
ski holidays
And Charlie don't surf... !!!!
snow report
critch wrote:
i guess what i am trying to say is chavs dont ski

But they must snowboard wink

http://www.hot-zone.tv/store/mitt-anaberry-green-p-1791.html?manufacturers_id=22
snow conditions
Quote:

is the credit crunch not going to have more affect on those less fortunte, say who can only just afford one summer holiday a year..and poss cannot afford that now !
rather than those who choose to go skiing

What is the difference between a summer holiday and a skiing holiday, it's still a holiday? We choose to 'holiday' in the winter because that's our choice, and has been for the last five years. Before that it was no holiday or a week in Cornwall (not knocking that btw). I'm not whinging because we don't usually have a summer holiday, although it would be nice Very Happy What annoys me is that as soon as some people hear that you are skiing they assume that you are loaded!

Not quite sure what you mean about
Quote:

i guess what i am trying to say is chavs dont ski

Puzzled anyway I'm sorry to say that they do, saw a few in Flaine this year.
ski holidays
fatbob, Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ohhh fatbob you nasty person lol

Come upto manchester/salford, then we will go to a summer package holiday destination,

there is not much difference. you will see what i mean rolling eyes
ski holidays
If this is true I wonder what kind of knock on affect it will have in Europe (Apart from Banking sector job losses) ?

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/banking_and_finance/article4563171.ece
snow report
Do you think bbc140 may be regretting starting this....?
ski holidays
We have booked a skiing holday for next year, but we will just take 1 instead of the usual 2 unless some extra cash shows up and we can get a bargain.
Things have got tighter not really with credit crunch but with fuel prices and utilities bills and cost of food increasing. So we have modified our lifestyles (shopping at different places), trying to use the car less etc. in order for us to be able to afford our skiing holiday. We have also changed the type of holiday in part due to cost so rather than have a catered chalet holiday booked via a tour operator we have opted for self catering holiday organised DIy style. Also have joined the local dry slope so that we feel we are skiing more frequently without having to invest in sneaky weekends and additional trips.

Unfortunately we do have a mortgage, school fees and usual family expenses etc. so we are modifying our expenditure
ski holidays
[quote="Lou"]pam w,
Quote:

I so agree, we still get raised eyebrows and "oooh, going skiing AGAIN?" and "skiing is such an expensive holiday so we've never tried it" from people who choose to spend their money on exotic summer hols, big houses, private education and lavish entertaining. I can't be bothered anymore explaining that it doesn't have to break the bank and it's worth it Madeye-Smiley

And they are the folks effected by the credit crunch because they have been keeping up with the "Jones's" and the bank manager has said your not having any more.
God bless them. I will be thinking of the Jones's when iam skiing and on my summer holiday's when they are in financial shite.
snow report
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/economics/article4592947.ece
snow report
I can honestly say I think it has had an effect. There are a hell of a lot of people looking at self catering apartments for any peak time. More then usual.
snow conditions
bbc140, the credit crunch has affected my planning.... I've booked and paid in full, in advance for all 4 trips so if the worst happens I'll still be going!

Committment!
latest report
After many happy years of relatively cheap Italian ski holidays, our group of 4 families decided to 'break out and live dangerously', so booked DIY to ischgl, Austria. When EJ flights were released they were horrendously expensive for half term, plus the transfer costs for 2nd choice airport. So back to our old favourite of Italy where I know we will have a fantastic time. Holiday now so reasonable that we are also able to send youngest daughter on school trip to Saas Fee in April. Mind you the crunch has meant holidays v house extension. Holidays have won.
ski holidays
red 27, like your style! By the fourth trip you may have to hitch to the airport but you'll still get the snow time in - that is commitment!
latest report
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23546506-details/Two+million+could+be+out+of+work+by+Christmas%2C+Bank+of+England+warns/article.do

Your Pound has taken a big hit against the euro today & dollar wink

http://www.forexdirectory.net/euro.html
ski holidays
I dont get the euro hit thing. I have balances to pay for two ski trips. both will be euro's - will i be best to pay it off today then??? sorry if seems a bit thick!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy