Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski question

Poster: A snowHead
can anyone recommend a nice light easy to turn twin tip ski, easier to turn on piste the better, something that is versitle and that i can whip around the corners and get edge to edge nice and easily. im not anywhere near an advanced skier so dont want anything to stiff or difficult to use so some pointers would be much apprieciated. whats the entry level version of the twin tip ski? all help will be rewarded with good karma ;0)

thanking you, dave the rave
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
welcome to snowHead dave_the_rave.

I'm sure that someone will be along to help soon...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
k2 PE or this years extreme - it's the same ski

tried them out in banff and they were great fun
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
K2 Fujatives are good budget skis (199 euos Sport-conrad), quite light and perform well on piste.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cheers for the info guys, i had a look on the k2 website and it says the PE and Fujative are park and pipe skis, doesnt that mean they are for tricks and stunts only? want something that will be similar to a piste ski as poss but looks the mutts nuts
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dave_the_rave, buy a good looking piste ski. There are loads.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Companies don't make 60mm waisted slalom twintips. It doesn't even begin to make sense. Style over substance is pretty pointless.

There are twintips that are aimed at all mountain/piste skiing - the two I looked at for my everyday ski were Line Prophet 90s and Volkl Karma's. They're both reasonably stiff and rip. Couldn't find many other options, but then again they might be too much ski for you. I have a severe dislike for PE's... heavy and dead feeling, but it does fit the catagory - ignore the advertising otherwise.

If you want a pure piste ski, then you should give up on twins. Personally, I think that the 65mm niche is a bit out of date now and 85-90mm skis are the way forward, but a lot of people will disagree with me there - for literally just skiing groomers, you are sacrificing performance. I think it's a small sacrifice for more versatility, but it depends what you want to do.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yeah, cpuldnt agree with davec more, personally i love the icelantic range, the pilgrim is an awesome all mountain tool! if youre looking for a piste blaster look elsewhere, twins are good allmountain tools and sacrifice a bit of piste ability for allround ability.....as much as you can categorise an entire ski range!!!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
arv wrote:
dave_the_rave, buy a good looking piste ski. There are loads.

....if you like neon & race stripes wink

Seriously why do you want a twin tip unless its just for the image, unless you are intending to use them for messing around. The k2 silencer is I believe made in the old PE moulds, so slightly skinnier and is cheap & understated for instance.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dave_the_rave, my Fujatives have never seen a park or pipe. They are not a stiff ski, so not suitable for very fast piste use if you are a heavier person IMHO. For someone of your ability (not knowing your weight) the ski works ok in all conditions.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yea im not really into the whole racing stripe neon wording i like to look at skis as art not just skis and the twin tips are the only skis that give that individuality. im no demon on the slopes and i know my limits and dont over do it with the speed. the skis im used to using have a waist of 80m but they are illuminous green and the whole sporty look doesnt do it for me, but i dont want anything to different in the way they ski. i still want something flexible and not too stiff and chunky, i know they will ski differently but whatever is the lightest and easiest to get to grips with would be my best shot. im not a heavy guy well depends how many takeaway ive ate in a week but anywhere from 10-11stone and 6ft in height. i like skis that are able to give nice tight turns without having being eddie the eagle on the slopes haha
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dave_the_rave, why don't you just paint the ones you've got then? Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Individuality? Every man and their dog has twin tips, what you want are some 205 Dynamics of times gone by, then you truly will be one of the only people on the hill with those skis!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
haha i cant paint and by individuality i meant the art work is more individual and striking than say a standard pair of head skis or rossingal Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Might just be a personal thing, but I didn't get on at all well with Fugatives the last time I skied them. They're a nice park ski, but I wouldn't want to ski them around groomers all day. Although having said that I've heard plenty of people doing just that and saying good things about them so maybe it's just me. And the 07/08 model have some pretty sick graphics, which satisfies your main requirement Laughing

The 4FRNT STL might also be worth a look. A bit stiffer than most park skis, so they might suit you more. And again, sick graphics Smile
snow conditions
dave_the_rave, so the endlessly repeated graphic on a mass-produced twintip would be more 'individual' than a less fashionable design on a pair of equally factory-made piste skis.

I suggest you are a poser rather than a skier. Try www.newschoolers,com - buy what ever brand seems to be 'sick' at the moment and you can't go wrong. Mind you, you'll need to buy a new pair at least twice a season if not indeed every five minutes. Give us the url of your eBay shop, won't you? Laughing Laughing
latest report
lizzard if you are just going to abuse people on here with sh**ty remarks i recommend you do it somewhere else. i asked peoples advice on what are the easiest twin tips to use so if you havent got any advice on the matter dont reply to my thread its pointless, havent you got anything better to do. we all have our tastes and my taste isnt racing stripes if that harms you in anyway then im sorry and i will write a letter to the police to own up to my crime.

muppet
ski holidays
dave_the_rave, but she has a point. You're not going to find any twintips designed for the type of skiing you want to do. It's a bit silly to buy a pair of skis which aren't what you want or need just over some graphics. It's kind of like buying a boat to drive to the post office in the morning.
ski holidays
ah but there is a way of saying things and there is a way of not saying things and im afraid lizzard says things in the wrong way. if you dont have anything constructive to say why say it? honestly those remarks where uncalled for, if i had done something to hurt lizzard in a previous life then yes maybe but why say that to a stranger who was only asking for advice i dont get they way people act sometimes. yes lizzard is probably 20 times the skier i am but that gives him/her no right to look down and talk to me that way its pathetic. anyway back to the original point, i know twin tips arent the same as piste skis and i dont just want them for the graphics, but i will probably be skiing in canada or the usa next fw yrs and the snow there is much softer even on piste that in europe. so this is one reason i want a pair of twin tips as i would prefer something that can handle hard packed piste, soft snow, off piste etc etc. the graphics are an added bonus. all i was trying to ask the lovely people of snowheads is what the entry level of ski would be. i know there is easy and hard piste skis so im assuming there are easy and hard twin tip skis and as i dont know much about them i was hoping someone else could tell me Smile
latest report
Well, there are different twin tips, but you can see why the question comes across facetious - it's kind of like asking amateur rally drivers which colour car is best on muddy tracks Smile
snow report
ye but come on why do people have to be such pratts when replying to threads? all i wanted to now is what the most versitile and easiest to use twin tip ski would be i.e. the entry level ski that will still ski well on piste and off piste. surely thats not such a terrible thing to ask is it? again i would like to point out that i DO NOT want to just buy twin tips for the graphics just look up and read my original question and it doesnt even mention graphics lol. yes i like the graphics and art on skis and im not ashamed of that its my taste and i like it Smile, am i a poser hahaha am i hell im the total opposite, i dont care if anyone likes my gear as long as i like it thats all that matters to me. anyway the snow is softer and lighter in canada and usa so i think a more all round ski would be more suitable but i dont want the equivalent to an ultra hard racing ski if you know what i mean as im not anywhere near that level.
snow conditions
Yeah, you're right, I'd recommend a 90mm ski as an allrounder in a heartbeat to anyone who skis NA over Europe, because conditions are less variable and generally softer. So long as you don't go uber stiff or ridiculously soft you'll be OK with whatever, they'll just ski a little differently. I really wouldn't go for Fujative/Silencer type skis as they don't have much room to improve in to and are cheap for a reason.
snow conditions
DaveC - can you name a few skis for me so i can take a look please? i saw one pair before at 121mm must be like a snowboard that thing haha
ski holidays
dave_the_rave, what you really need are hellbents. Apparently they are surprisingly good on piste.
Try Line Prophet 90's, Dynastar Big Troubles and 4FRNT MSP perhaps, if not the STL.
snow report
i do like the sound of the line prophet 90s, does anyone know where i can try them out?
latest report
Where abouts are you from and what's your boot sole length/size? I have some for sale Wink
snow report
from lancashire, my boot length is 43.5
snow conditions
does anyone know much aout the K2 silencers?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, I love neon and race stripes, especially when combined!
latest report
dave_the_rave, I think someone said somewhere about them coming out the old PE mould. From what I hear they are really floppy so if you are a big guy forget about it.

I've got some armada ARV's, for a "backcountry twin" 92 on the waist they handle pretty well on piste but they would be far too much of a compromise for an every day ski.
ski holidays
arv wrote:
dave_the_rave, I think someone said somewhere about them coming out the old PE mould. From what I hear they are really floppy so if you are a big guy forget about it.

I've got some armada ARV's, for a "backcountry twin" 92 on the waist they handle pretty well on piste but they would be far too much of a compromise for an every day ski.

It depends what you consider an "every day ski". I probably logged most days on 110mm waisted Scott P4's over the course of last season.
snow report
dave_the_rave wrote:
my boot length is 43.5

Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
DaveC, Fernie had one of the most epic seasons ever recorded so I don't think it is really an accurate comparison to us mortals.
snow conditions
It really didn't. Alta/Snowbird/Jackson all get more snow than last year in Fernie, as an average. See the TGR types and their idea of day to day skis - it's not that they're all insanely good skiers, it's just that it's a reasonable thing to ski.
ski holidays
DaveC, I see where you are coming from and am far too well acquainted with the attitudes over on TGR, but for a week a year skiier whom i'd suggest is a bit of a gaper then I don't see it as being a practical ski.

I thought, for Fernie, it was the best in years?
ski holidays
haha boot length is 48.5 still waking u. i think im being dim but whats TGR and whats a gaper? Puzzled
snow conditions
Teton Gravity Research. Have you ever worn a comedy hat whilst skiing?
snow conditions
arv wrote:
DaveC, I see where you are coming from and am far too well acquainted with the attitudes over on TGR, but for a week a year skiier whom i'd suggest is a bit of a gaper then I don't see it as being a practical ski.

I thought, for Fernie, it was the best in years?

I'm not saying an 110mm ski is anything but an aquired taste for something to ski every day, but I don't think 90mm is unreasonable is all I meant.

Yeah, I think it probably was the best in a while in reality - within the season start and end dates the snowfall record didn't get broken though. What I meant was that a lot of places (American not Canadian mainly) get as much or more than Fernie did on an epic season...and even with less snowfall so long as it's not boilerplate fatter skis are fine/preferable.
snow report
Yeah totally agreed-i'd happily b last about on a pair of proriders but can't imagine this dude loving something that wide.

I just had a couple of buddies down that way for a weekend and there were reports of chest deep which generally means epic at some point. I was skiing G3 El Hombres on slushy bumps and it was not pleasant at all.. took a wrong turn at revvy and it's when you realise skis like that are designed for pow and pow alone.
ski holidays
yeah i have a few daft hats why?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy