Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

(Potentially stupid) helmet query

Poster: A snowHead
I've heard lots of conflicting advice regarding helmets and air travel. . . is it ok for me to stick it in my main luggage or should i take it in my hand luggage?

I've heard from somewhere that because the luggage hold isnt pressurised this can damage the helmet . . . is this right?

I've read all the info that came with my helmet and although it advises me not to paint it, stick stickers on it, drop it, leave it in the sun or store it on its crown it says nothing about the effects of pressure in the hold of an aircraft . . .
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why not wear it, just to be on the safe side. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snobunni, I usually stick mine right in the middle of my hold luggage and have had no problems yet !

I am 99.99999999999999999999999% certain the pressure will have no effect on the helmet.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snobunni, can't off the top of my head think of any reason why it shouldn't be in the hold, I would imagine that its full of expanded polystyrene or similar foam which should be perfectly ok
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Smokin Joe, D G Orf, thanx guys, puts my mind at rest
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The hold compartments in planes are pressurised.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, lol i did warn that it was a potentially stupid query
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jbob wrote:
Why not wear it, just to be on the safe side. wink

I thought ski helmets weren't tested to protect from airplane crashes...that's MY definition of being on the safe side anyway!

wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Air pressure isn't your issue........the gorillas that load your bags are though!!!

WHo knows how heavy the bag will be that they chuck on top of yours will be!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Smokin Joe wrote:
snobunni, I usually stick mine right in the middle of my hold luggage and have had no problems yet !

I am 99.99999999999999999999999% certain the pressure will have no effect on the helmet.

That's pretty much what I do. I've traveled a bit with my helmet and have never had a problem.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Normally stick mine on the back back/bootbag what ever is coming on but always bringh it as carry on not sure if sticking it in the hold will do it any damage but just to be sure to be sure
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I put mine in the suitcase. Once stuffed with socks/underwear etc.actually takes up little space and adds little weight as well...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kruisler wrote:
I put mine in the suitcase. Once stuffed with socks/underwear etc.actually takes up little space and adds little weight as well...

Yep...in the middle stuffed with socks, packed round with socks/fleeces, takes up virtually no space and is well protected from the baggage gorillas! I used to take mine in a back pack on board but it was just a nuisance...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I take mine on with hand luggage.

Never had any problems and at least you know how it is being handled.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's a helmet, non? So if it can't take a bit of rough treatment from the BAA gorillas, I won't be counting on it to protect my noggin.
snow conditions
zammo, I've seen the damage that the baggage gorillas can do to a pair of ski boots.....a helmet stands no chance against them if it's not got a bit of protection round it. A nasty bang on your helmet can mean it loses it's strength and won't protect your noggin when you need it....and you might never know until it's too late if the damage doesn't show.
snow conditions
We normally attach our helmets to you rucksacks and never had a problem yet but it's always a worry that they'll pull us at the airport.

However when we where away in the summer the climbers had their helmets on the top of their rucksack with a "net thing" Puzzled over it so it looked like part of the bag! Good idea - might try to get one of these because I agree you never know what happens once you've checked you bag in.

Also Snow and Roc sell a speacial helmet "pod" thing! - Great with the explainations! So I have considered looking at those.
snow conditions
zammo, I had a helmet mangled in a transfer through Heathrow by BA baggage handlers.

snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy