Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

freeride skis?

Poster: A snowHead
hi everyone, i went to fernie last year and i saw everyone using freeride twin tip skis and they all look amazing. im looking to buy my own skis for next winter and wondering if these type of skis would be suitable for me? im an intermmidiate skier so can go on all reds, just wondering if anyone can offer me a bit of advice?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
height, weight etc would be useful, also what type of skiing you enjoy doing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For reference, where were you skiing in Fernie? "Can do reds" isn't really much of a frame of reference... you said you didn't like the steep funnel section of Falling Star for example?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
5'11 ,11stone, prefer on piste at the moment but everyone in fernie was using these skis on piste too and they look so cool. i would like to try more off piste skiing in the next couple of years though as i get technically better. didnt say i didnt like the funnel on falling star just said it was about my limit as it is quite a narrow run. it wasnt the steepness that i found hard just how narrow it got if it was wider i would be very comfortable on it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shapes, you need 189 K2 Hellbents-it's fine they ski short!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sabraham/shapes, (assume this is the same person) - what skis have you tried in the past? which ones did you like or dislike?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The only reason I mentioned Falling Star is that it's a pisted run. To be honest, if you go for too funky a ski it'll just cause you problems. You're much better off sticking with sub90mm waists for now... things that you won't have to alter your style to ski and develop your turning etc. There're lots of weird and wonderful skis out there (if you look in B/S/E there's a pic of my favourite Fernie ski in my post in there that's reverse cambered and reverse sidecut) but they're not nessecarily for everyone.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd go for something along the lines of the Atomic Nomad Crimson.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
im used to sking on metron 9's which i do quite like as they really do whip you round the corners. i just really want a pair of fat skis so whatever is the most versitile i.e. is still responsive on piste. also where is a good place to get skis from ? i only know snow and rock?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
shapes, lots of people on here have enjoyed the Scott Mission as a first wide ski.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
does ayone know much about the icelantic ski range?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PM kiwi1 - he is the UK distributor
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
icelantics rock like no others, the pilrim is awesome for allmountain whilst the nomad is a great fat trick ski and the shaman is a beefy pow ski. theyre all easy to ski, more so thn you think to look at them and designed to be skiied short, if you get the chance you should defo test them out as they dont seem to be for everyone!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ye spoke to kiwi and they will be on demo at the chill factor end of the month so going to try out a few pairs, seems to me at the minute the pilgrims, scott mission and head monster is it? seem to be about the best comprise for onpiste/offpiste skiing. if anyone else knows of some decent ones, answers on a postcard please
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rad side cut, special flavour crisps. "I think you'll find my friend has the 'Flava'." Toofy Grin
ski holidays
eh the flava? the what?
latest report
sabraham,
Quote:

i went to fernie last year and i saw everyone using freeride twin tip skis and they all look amazing. im looking to buy my own skis for next winter

I stumbled upon your thread and felt the need to post just a thought I had: If you would buy your new twintips (or any skis for that matter) across the border from Fernie in the USA, the price difference, compared with the UK, alone would probably pay for your ticket to Fernie !
Can let you know where to buy, if you're interested ! (Ahhhhh ..... good old, beautiful Fernie, passed through many times with fond memories, on my way up to Calgary from Idaho Very Happy )
ski holidays
well im in two minds as where o go next year, could be fernie, copper mountain or whistler
latest report
Hired the Nomads for a few days in Val Thorens last season - really improved my off-piste skiing (that's not saying much!). Have gone back to longer freerides since (Dynastar Legends) and am doing much better.

I noticed a similar improvement in my piste skiing years ago, when I dropped down to mini-skis for a week. They really improved my balance & technique, so I was much better when I went long again.

If you see Icelantics, give 'em a go. However, I would say if you only ski on-piste you would be (partially) wasting their talents.
snow conditions
Laughing
snow report
I loved the Liberty Hazmat skis... 94mm underfoot, twin tip. More of an all mountain do anything kind of ski though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy