Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

more info on the BASI ski regulations

Poster: A snowHead
beanie1, I'm saying nought....
BASI guy in your link says.... ??
and a guy that train racers around world... and an ex-instructor trainer(again around the world) ??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
little tiger wrote:
... again he is suggesting GS skis will improve skill set ...

I might be having a blonde moment, so can you highlight where in the BASI article Sean suggests that GS skis will improve skill set?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar,
Quote:
I hope that the facts and arguments listed above; not least the safety implications will help you to understand the reasons for the new implementation of the ski recommendation for the 2010 season. After all if someone said to you that you will develop faster and risk less on a different pair of skis, would you not change them?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Aussie forum thread that little tiger references is a doozy and a classic of its kind - looks like a race bred pro instructor/coach arguing with someone who skis for fun, although at presumably a high level that "cheater" skis are impairing their technical development.

Its pretty obvious that skiing GS skis everywhere is the route most junior coaching programmes take and obviously once people have these skills then it is natural they will turn to race room GS skis as anything else lacks the precision and feedback they are used to. I'm not sure that it means that to be a good instructor you have to be race bred (though the Eurotest is a legacy of this) or that individual adults shouldn't be capable of making their own decisions as to what equipment works best for them - presumably there's no rule yet that all instructors have to ski plug WC boots.

Would I choose to take an instructor course on a fat ski? - probably not, unless it was the offpiste training module. Do GS skis help with speed and edge grip? - Yes. Am I perfectly happy taking a fat ski as my one ski quiver on holiday? - Yes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
little tiger wrote:
rob@rar,
Quote:
I hope that the facts and arguments listed above; not least the safety implications will help you to understand the reasons for the new implementation of the ski recommendation for the 2010 season. After all if someone said to you that you will develop faster and risk less on a different pair of skis, would you not change them?

I might be a bit hard of thinking today, but I can't see that is a recommendation for a GS ski. That article clearly explains Sean's thinking on why slalom skis are not suitable for BASI courses, but it says nothing about what skis should be used other than a less extreme sidecut (>17m radius for men), longer and wider (curiuosly described as thicker). That could point to a GS ski (although not if you pay much attention to the ski advice for variable snow), but it also describes other types of ski. That article does NOT make a firm recommendation for a GS ski, as far as I can see.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 2-08-08 13:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob wrote:
Would I choose to take an instructor course on a fat ski? - probably not, unless it was the offpiste training module.

The challenge is that all BASI's technical courses ski on AND off-piste. I therefore use a ski which can hep me perform to the required level in all conditions that I'll encounter (on-piste, bumps, variable off-piste snow). The BASI Mountain Safety course is obviously off-piste focused so I'll use something fatter for that. When I'm just skiing for fun or when I'm trying to work on developing my skills I might well choose a different ski. Seems to me that choosing a ski that is best suited for the purpose is a good thing to do, rather than pedantically sticking to one type regardless of what you are trying to achieve.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, Based on what I've skied I'd probably pick an 80-85mm for that sort of mixed conditions - maybe a Movement or a Nordica or the Head Monster. I don't think I could be a**ed worrying about what we we going to be doing the next day and changing my skis accordingly. Now for someone less fat and lazy something else would probably be the choice.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, my Trainer mostly used a pair of Movement Sparks during my L2 course, which would fit neatly into your description of ideal ski for those courses. Unfortunately I don't have the on-piste skills to ski something like that as well as I would like, so opted for something a bit more piste-focused. The day I used my Karmas (it had snowed heavily the previous night) my on-piste performance was very poor.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob wrote:
Its pretty obvious that skiing GS skis everywhere is the route most junior coaching programmes take and obviously once people have these skills then it is natural they will turn to race room GS skis as anything else lacks the precision and feedback they are used to.

GS skis for "children" under 15 are suitable for free skiing as well as racing, those for "juniors" older than this are not and they would tend to use their SL skis when not skiing gates.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

little tiger wrote:
... again he is suggesting GS skis will improve skill set ...

He has never suggested that a GS ski will improve skill set, all he wants is skis over a certain radius and we can choose what they are. As I posted else where, I sent an email asking what kind of ski we were expected to use and this was the reply

Quote:
While it might make sense to have a race ski if one was continuing through the BASI system to train for the Speed Test, a more versatile ski (not a twin tip) would be better for the technical courses. It is intended to be flexible. Your choice.

IMO a more versatile skis is something a bit wider than a race ski. The reason he said no to twin tips is because in my email I pointed out that most twin tips are over 17m radius Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs, Sorry not au fait with the age splits but I take the point.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
freestyleandy, exactly right.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you've got the skills, it don't matter what you ski...........

http://youtube.com/v/o1LWqiBsUxw
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
veeeight, Exactly but it does seem to give you excreable taste in accompanying music wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As a lay-skier I am once again perplexed. I appreciate that people do 1st and 2nd level instructor courses for many reasons, many of which do not include teaching as an end goal. However, once you get to the level where teaching is the end goal surely it doesn't matter (beyond race course requirements) what you ski on?

Further, as I asked before, shouldn't you be able to demonstrate to a correct level on anything?

And, shouldn't you be able to ski on anything at speed with a significantly reduced risk of injury than Joe Punter (i.e., Me)

And if not why do stiff boots and "RD" skis not come with a Gov't. health warning?

Confused of CH-1226.
snow report
veeeight, yeah - Reilly is an aussie Twisted Evil - and the two guys saying that lower level skiers should use GS skis to improve their skill sets are also aussie and at least 1 is a trainer (I think the other could be also but am unsure).... So the guys who have the job of teaching people to ski like that in the first place want you to learn on skinny - they both ski fats/twins/midfats/whatever when they want to.... but they also can ski a GS ski anywhere and do any sort of turn on it.... as I'm sure Reilly can ( for reference Reilly is an APSI level 3 and APSI 2 = ISIA)
ski holidays
little tiger, you know there is are different priorities when learning new skills and when trying to pass ski exams, right? When you're learning you might make the demands on yourself as tough as you can manage so you get as good as you can get, but when you're trying to pass an exam you make life as easy as possible otherwise you might fail and have to undertake an expensive re-sit. It's a bit of a no brainer really. Fortunately the head of BASI training thinks that a versatile ski is a good thing for people to use on technical courses, and there is neither requirement or recommendation for BASI candidates to ski on GS skis other than when they are training specifically for the Eurotest.

David Murdoch, I agree, I think it's a strange decision by BASI to outlaw slalom skis. By all means recommend a longer radius ski in the interests of safety and versatility, but once a skier is working towards ISIA level they really should be able to ski happily on a short radius ski and should be responsible enough to choose what they strap to their feet.

Just in case anyone is curious about 'the chap from BASI' here's a video frame of him, taken from the very useful dvd he did for BASI/SCGB where he demonstrated all the Central Theme and beyond. He's the one on the left with the short slalom skis that he used throughout the DVD Wink

ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:

By having such prescriptive rules they reinforce the image of the BASI clone being made to ski in shapes – I thought they were trying to move away from this.

Now how many times have I heard this before????????????????????????????????????????? Some things never change.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
easiski wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, At the end of the day, as a working ski teacher you will only be able to ski on one pair of skis per day. You may have more than one pair, but will have to choose which pair to use each day. You will also have to expect that they will be stamped on, that you will have to stand on a beginner's skis to stop them sliding forward while getting up, that you may not be able to avoid all stones as you would free skiing since you are setting a line for others.... It seems to me that BASI is trying to make the board a little more even, but to force people to ski a longer radius ski when they may have a personal preference for a shorter one is unfair! However, I wouldn't be wanting to do bumps on Missionsn (too wide). Shocked You should definitely start skiing on detuned race skis as soon as possible - the difference on piste (whichever you choose), will be huge. You'll never want to go back to your ladies skis! Very Happy

Agreed about only being able to ski on one pair of skis per day! I only have 2 pairs at the moment, first pair was the Volkl Attiva S5's which I'd used on piste and they were really good, they were a bit narrow for off piste so I bought some Missions for off piste mainly which are good for that. You're right about the Missions in the Bumps, they are not as easy as my Volkls to use in there I have to admit.

When you say get myself a pair of detuned race skis asap, and that I'll never want to go back to my ladies skis, do you mean that the race skis will be much stiffer torsionally compared with my Volkls? Presumably my Volkl Attiva S5's must be a softer flex than a standard Volkl ski, although the S5's are a high intermediate to advanced piste ski so say.

I did say detuned race skis eg: my Fischer WC SCs. These skis are stiffer, more responsive and much more precise and accurate. Your present Volkls are much softer, so won't be so accurate or grippy etc. Don't go to a real WC race department ski - they are not for every day (although fun). Your skis should help you to improve, and it may be that at first you find them a bit of a handful, but you'll improve much faster than on a more forgiving ski.

FWIW I think you should ski off piste on piste skis (not all the time), but it's really good for your technical skiing. Very Happy
snow report
rob@rar, nice spot!!! Very Happy
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
rob@rar, nice spot!!! Very Happy

He's also wearing a helmet, but I didn't want to point that out for fear of doubling the controversy Wink
snow conditions
His mate obviously is also rather proud of his impressive bowel movement behind
ski holidays
fatbob, that's not Deirdre then?
ski holidays
Yoda wrote:
fatbob, that's not Deirdre then?

Are you saying that (the very lovely, no doubt) Deirdre looks like an impressive bowel movement? Shocked

Wink
latest report
Stupid boy Pike wink
snow report
Yoda, Laughing
snow conditions
I had an email through today suggesting that 21m is still OK for the Euro Test and that the new 27m rule "only applies to the higher level FIS races like continental cups and above."
snow report
david@mediacopy, is there a website or anything that has details of the eurotest rules and regulations, egarding skis etc.?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
freestyleandy, I guess there must be but I don't have the link. Not on the BASI site ?
snow report
freestyleandy, The eurotest is run to FIS regulations, try here.
ski holidays
rjs, cheers for that.

david@mediacopy, thankfully it does say that the >21m radius and 185 cm / -5 cm tolerance for the speed test is staying the same....just need a nice skin tight suit now Puzzled
latest report
freestyleandy wrote:
....just need a nice skin tight suit now Puzzled

erm, too much detail Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy