Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone fancy a morning in MK, Mon 11th Aug?

Poster: A snowHead
I am on a week's course in Northampton starting at lunchtime on Mon 11th. I was wondering about trying to take my room a day early so I could travel down Sun night and then of course would have most of the morning free on the Monday and as it's only about 45mins drive to MK..........!!

- but I would only bother if there were other SHs to meet up with snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Butterfly, Sorry, I am a local to Mk but working that day Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Linds, shame.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I am on a week's course in Northampton

I'm sorry to hear that - make sure you take plenty to read.

I try and avoid Northampton like the plague - ranks up there with my least favorite places ever.

But it is only a short drive from MK

If I could skive off work, I'd be tempted as only a short drive away myself
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I moved to Northampton in 1975 and vowed to stay a maximum of 3 years - it seemed such a dump. I still live there - thanks to promotion and inertia. Its main merits are (a) good motorway access (its easy to escape) (b) lots of local golf courses. I prefer golf to indoor skiing so will not be going to MK Xscape.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree that Northampton is mostly a dump - and its ring road system is truly mystifying, except that all roads lead to St Andrew's Hospital, which is handy when you've been driven bonkers by the roadsigns - but there are some lovely villages and countryside on its outskirts and, within the town, this place is terrific.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

but there are some lovely villages and countryside on its outskirts

Indeed - I live not far from Northampton and there is some stunning villages and countryside to cycle in.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We're resident in the King's Park Centre to the north of the town. It has a NO ALCOHOL on the premises rule Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Butterfly, might be up for it if deadline at work isn't too tight. think I'm overdue a session. Plus it's cheap in the week, which means a bit more boarding time Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Specialman, Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
will let u know next week, monday
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ok.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Butterfly, think I should be able to make this snowHead

The slope has been looking pretty good recently, btw, & the last time I looked (Monday evening) there were no jumps or rails out, although there was an area fenced off for tobogganing, which I suppose is inevitable in the school hols...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jo225, sounds good! They've quoted me £50 to have my room B&B a day early so I think I'll get a £29 Travelodge room instead (they are available) - unless anyone knows a better value but clean/comfy B&B in the area.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boris wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that - make sure you take plenty to read.

Once the course starts there's little time for anything else - it's 9am to 9pm! I was on a similar course at the same place 2 years ago and it was enjoyable, but hard work. No alcohol on the premises as the site's often used by young groups on residentials, but no matter - we didn't seem to miss it though a group did slope off to the local a couple of evenings!

Quote:

If I could skive off work, I'd be tempted as only a short drive away myself

Go on, skive! Toofy Grin
snow report
Jo225 wrote:
...The slope has been looking pretty good recently, btw, & the last time I looked (Monday evening) there were no jumps or rails out...

Pants - I do like the odd obstacle to throw myself off to impress the toddlers in the toboggans!! Smile
snow report
So, there's

Me, Jo225, Specialman(?) and Snowball I think.

Any more??? Go on, you know you need a fix from the white stuff really, even if it is in a fridge!!

I am hoping to get there pretty early as I will need to leave in time to get to my course venue in Northampton. It says we are supposed to arrive at 12 noon, with lunch at 12.30 and 1st session at 1.30, but I think lunch is probably optional!

So I probably will aim to get to MK at about 9.15 for the 9.30 Fresh Trax - it's a 3hr session at £29 which seems the best value on offer as a std 2hr session would appear to be £31 as I assume they're charging peak rates all the time, it being school hols? Castleford are still offering off-peak rates in the week though, so who knows - if they do offer off peak rate I'll take the 2 hrs at £20 from 9.30-11.30.
snow report
Butterfly, I don't think they're charging peak rates during the daytime, but it's still £25 for two hours off-peak. So maybe the Fresh Tracks would be worth it if you want the extra hour, although (in my limited experience) they don't seem too bothered if you go a bit over your time when it's quiet, which it most probably will be...

You do know that it's a lot cheaper to park in the purple zone, don't you? It's the outer ring of the Xscape car park around the front & sides - try to get as near to the door between the Wetherspoons (nice) & the KFC (yuk) as you can, because it's only a minute or so's walk from there to the slope Smile

Looking forward to it snowHead
snow report
Jo225, thanks for the parking tip - no I didn't know there were different priced zones - only been there the once before.
snow conditions
Butterfly, parking map here showing the different zones. The best place is probably above the 'e' in 'Xscape' (if that makes any sense!).
snow report
Yes, as Butterfly said, I'll be there. (9.00 or so in the main cafe viewing area, for 9.30 skiing). Don't forget your gloves, it is the one thing you can't hire there.
snow conditions
Thanks for the map info.

I am needing to stop over the night before, as I am driving down from Pickering, N Yorks Shocked . I saw on the Xscape website that the Ramada Encore offered discounts to Xscape customers so emailed them - they've offered £40 including breakfast - so I will probably take that and if it is near enough might be able to leave the car there.
latest report
Anybody wanting to do the 14th, there is a Pixie/Lard/normal meet of sorts on that day. Aim to be at MK for around 11 am. There will be high Pixie content, some Lard, negligible Normal. All welcome. A-level results day, so might be some emotional trauma. The idea is an hour or so in the fridge and then a long "lunch".

snowHead
snow report
Still not too late to decide you are going to join the Monday morning fun in the MK Xscape - arrive 9-ish, ski from 9.30 or so!!

I'm now booked into the Ramada for tomorrow night and have managed to wriggle out of my Sunday pm commitment in Pickering, meaning I can set off for MK MUCH earlier tomorrow - ie just after lunch Smile Smile.

So.... if there is anyone likely to be about in MK tomorrow teatime/evening ......?
ski holidays
If anyone is a SCGB member, remember to mention it - you get 20% off. But I'm not sure if that applies to special offers, which are already reduced.

Best route from the M1 from the south is from exit 14. Keep straight on till you pass the lake on the right then second or third roundabout right (doesn't matter which) then left at next roundabout.
ski holidays
Right - I am here in MK and the "Hub" (bar/restaurant) has free wifi - woohoo!!
latest report
Butterfly, Hope you have a good day tomorrow - I shall think of you - its my scheduled day in the office Sad
snow report
Megamum, will think of you slaving away then! My course, which starts lunchtime tomorrow will be quite heavy going - 9am-9pm all week, but we do get Weds afternoon off. However I have my bike loaded on the back of the car, so I can go out first thing before breakfast at least so I am not sat on my rear ALL week!

Anyone in MK fancy popping into the bar for a drink tonight?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Butterfly and Jo225, good to meet you. Sorry I've forgotten the snowHead name of the other guy (?)
Specialman, were you there? I asked several strange men if they were you but no joy.

The snow was OK, though an icy patch developed at the bottom on the left side (going down), just where you wanted to slow down to avoid people standing at the bottom. and the lower half of the other side was hived off for tobogganers after a short while, which is always annoying since the people from that side shoot accross into the other lane at unexpected moments.

Still I enjoyed it (and the coffee and chat afterwards). I have never bought one of the slope photos but decided to have a look and they weren't bad: (please note that's the underside of my skis you are seeing Cool )

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 11-08-08 20:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
snowball & Butterfly, lovely to see you Very Happy And hello to Jon (who I think must be snowyjon), nice to meet you!

I really enjoyed it too snowHead

snowball, great photo!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 11-08-08 18:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
Specialman, were you there? I asked several strange men if they were you but no joy.

If a stranger walked up to me and asked me if I was special I'd probably not admit it either Shocked
snow report
FenlandSkier, but you might if you were strange...
snow conditions
Jo225, that's true Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Hmmm, perhaps I shouldn't have said I was looking for joy with a specialman, but actually two of them talked to me quite animatedly afterwards. Now I know why.
ski holidays
Hey guys, haven't been able to get online over the weekend so couldn't let you know that i couldn't make it.

My laptop has been playing up big style (maybe I should stop being tight and trade-in the 8 year old powerbook!!) and what with playing skivvy to the missus' supervisor while sorting the garden yesterday, didn't find any time to lett you know. Anyway, my boss had a bit or a mare this morning so it was nose to the grindstone at 8am, which would have put paid to MK anyway:(

snowball, in Milton Keynes, asking someone if they're specialman usually ends up in A) a severe frowning at, or B) the men in white coats turning up en masse!!!! Smile Smile

Booking Val D'isere this week so that's sparked the missus to get some top-up lessons, so that means MK beckons. Don't give up on me guys - I'm not unreliable ALL the time... Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy