Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow in December Canada or USA?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all. Looking to go to either Canada or USA for 1 week around 11th-13th December 2008. Relative beginners. Any ideas where the snow will be good?? If so any recommendation of resorts and or accomodation?? Thanks! Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd hit Banff but folks on here will tell you I rarely suggest anything else for these sort of trips. Great ski schools, plenty to do if you've had enough of skiing.

Always plenty snow.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steamboat Spring.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow is always more of a gamble in mid Dec but Targhee is usually a safe bet, but less apres. Targhee is kind to Beginners and intermediates except for the deep powder moments. Course if the snow is good Jackson is just over the hill too.
Banff is a great place and the Mtns are open but many a year it's thin and you're scraping ptex on rocks this early, then there is alwys Whistler.
Pick a few locations and then check past years stats for that time of the ski season
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pinhead, agreed with Banff as far as the steeps are concerned but Green-Blue are generally great-only the steepest pitches tend to be scraped.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Natalie97, Steamboat could be good. I will be in Jackson Hole from 20th onwards - but good snow in December is a lottery anywhere,
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Look to see where gets snow in November then book flights a month out - a bit of a gamble pricewise but then you won't have to deal with the WROD.

Or punt on a flight into SLC, Denver, Vancouver or Calgary plus a hire car then pick the resort nearer the time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lets put it this way - we went to whistler for xmas and new year just gone for 2 weeks and it never blummen stopped snowing and wind whole time - couldn't see much and top lifts often shut becuase of high winds - near the north pacific spose.

bit of a disappointment in terms of off piste and every slope that was open felt like the same as the rest - bit same old same old if you get what i mean. can't fault the hospitality, food, service, town tho, better than anywhere else.

we got told to fly into seattle and drive to whistler - will never do that again - it was an epic journey with not much saving on flight

cu
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob wrote:
Look to see where gets snow in November then book flights a month out - a bit of a gamble pricewise but then you won't have to deal with the WROD.

Or punt on a flight into SLC, Denver, Vancouver or Calgary plus a hire car then pick the resort nearer the time.

listen to fatbob ...

Whistler, Lake Louise, various Colorado resorts all pretty reliable by mid December. And all cheap - no need to book in advance. Fly to a hub and follow the snow/bargains.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

we got told to fly into seattle and drive to whistler - will never do that again - it was an epic journey with not much saving on flight

This is the standard response you'll get if you invite suggestions from Americans. It makes a lot of sense if you live in the US: it makes no sense if you live in the UK. (i) The flights aren't cheaper (ii) you have to experience US Homeland Security (iii) you have to drive, on the wrong side of the (unfamiliar) road, in winter, in the dark, after a 10-hour flight, when your body-clock is telling you it's 3am.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Acacia wrote:
Quote:

This is the standard response you'll get if you invite suggestions from Americans. It makes a lot of sense if you live in the US: it makes no sense if you live in the UK. (i) The flights aren't cheaper (ii) you have to experience US Homeland Security (iii) you have to drive, on the wrong side of the (unfamiliar) road, in winter, in the dark, after a 10-hour flight, when your body-clock is telling you it's 3am.

Acacia - and you're point is? Smile

Actually I agree entirely, as long as you know you want to go to Whistler, fly to Vancouver and get a bus. But if you are following the snow, get ready to drive ...

FYI, the drive from Seattle (Seatac) to Whistler is 4 hours or so, very simple up to Vancouver (a freeway), fiddly thru Vancouver and then the Sea-to-Sky up to Whistler. It's a beautiful drive in decent weather. It can be a horror if it's raining, snowing or you hit Seattle at rush hour. And when there's a foot of snow on the freeway at Bellingham (sea level), it is a lot less than fun!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
innerspaceservices wrote:
lets put it this way - we went to whistler for xmas and new year just gone for 2 weeks and it never blummen stopped snowing and wind whole time - couldn't see much and top lifts often shut becuase of high winds - near the north pacific spose.

bit of a disappointment in terms of off piste and every slope that was open felt like the same as the rest - bit same old same old if you get what i mean. can't fault the hospitality, food, service, town tho, better than anywhere else.

off piste a disappointment?? in a 2 week long blizzard? It sounds like heaven to me.

I have to ask, where did u ride? You ski the trees on Blackcomb - e.g. Outer Limits? Bark Sandwich? Some of the off-piste runs below the gondola on Whistler? It's better when the top lifts are open, but hardly dull when they're not.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gortonator, Surely when there's a foot of snow at Bellingham you check the snowchains and turn off to Glacier?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob wrote:
gortonator, Surely when there's a foot of snow at Bellingham you check the snowchains and turn off to Glacier?

not at 9pm Sunday on way home after 4 big powder days on Blackcomb at ThxGiving - unfortunately work calls occasionally Sad

And don't need those pesky chains things on a Nissan Xterra!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think Acacia's point is, the extra driving is for no gain.

Not even for Americans. Those of us from the east coast, sometimes the flight to Seattle is cheaper than Vancouver, other times not. Considering the significant time expense driving from Seatle to Whistler, the flight to Seatle is seldom worth it.

The only reason to fly to Seatle is to visit Seattle, or to ski Washington/Oregon.
ski holidays
abc, if you read the second line of my post, you'd have seen the words "Actually I agree entirely,"

I was simply amused by Acacia's emphatic description of his journey! It was funny ...
snow report
gortonator, you mean the epic journey by innerspaceservices, I think.

I saw the smiley. I know you agree with acacia up to that point.

I was commenting more on your last paragraph. The drive to Whistler is "no big deal" ONLY if you already have a car there and need not hire one!
snow report
Seattle for Mt Baker, Crystal, Alpental, Snoqualamie

Salt Lake City for Powder Mountain, Snowbasin, Solitude, Brighton, Deer Valley, Alta, Snowbird, Sundance

Denver for Keystone, Loveland, A-Basin, Vail, Beaver Creek

Calgary for Castle, Fernie, Lake Louise, Sunshine, Kicking Horse and Whitefish Mountain Resort in Montana, USA

Skied all of these in November and December. All delivered.
snow conditions
abc wrote:

I was commenting more on your last paragraph. The drive to Whistler is "no big deal" ONLY if you already have a car there and need not hire one!

can't argue with that - and the weather is decent!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy