Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Catch up on your ski lingo

Poster: A snowHead
Here's a great site to pick up a few phrases to get by when we're on the slopes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/languages/quickfix/ski/index.shtml

Anyone got some phrases that might be appropriate in a lift queue or when sitting on a chair with a very attractive member of the opposite sex that doesn't speak any English?
(assuming you can that is!)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ah! Could have done with one of those phrases last hols - didn't know the French for lift-pass & had to go to loads of different offices saying: 'mon ami a perdu son lift-pass' Embarassed
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How about "Vienes aqui muchas veces?" or in French "Viens-tu ici souvent?"
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Eeyore, ha ha!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A good idea, but a bit limited, with one expression in particular that might just be said by a 90 year old (Quel m'as-tu vu!), allegedly "What a poser!" No one would say that in France, I've never heard it and I'm an interpreter/translator by profession, the wife (and she's French) has never heard it. No one under 90 would be seen dead saying it anyway (if it exists in the first place)... What's the correct expression?
"Quel crâneur!" or perhaps "Quel frimeur!" (not forgetting that if you're talking about a woman it would be "Quelle crâneuse!" or "Quelle frimeuse!")

Might well do a really comprehensive list of useful French expressions for the site one day. When I do, I'll post to Snowheads!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 25-02-04 16:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Only knowing the odd expression can be a problem, too.

For years the only two Italian expressions my brother knew were "Quanta Costa?" and "Ciao Bella!". I told him he should think twice about using them together.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Taking that a bit further, how about a list of expressions you would like to know how to say in French that aren't in the Beeb list?? Wink I'll get to work.....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You mean something like this:
http://www.geocities.com/pickelhaube2002/Ski_dictionary_1.htm ?

I wrote it for fun, I collected those words/sentences here and there...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure how much I trust that - it's talking about diamond/double diamonds and the French (etc.) translations. Don't think I'll get much joy in France asking where the double lozange slope is!

I notice there's no French translation for snowboard. Does that mean the French don't snowboard snowHead

At least I know I can order "neige collante" with my saucissons...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excellent Matteo, but I did think Mashed Potato seemed a little out of place Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No, it means that I've not found the word, yet. But my educated guess is :"le board" or "le snow" "le snowboard" will do. Next time I I'll get close to a French, I'll ask...
Please, whenever you find something that could be added, or corrected, send me a message!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowboard is a un surf, I think

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 25-02-04 16:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry Matteo - I hadn't realised you'd done it! In that case - in the "English" section I'd stick with red & black rather than the US naming convention (after all, we invented the language!!)

Impressed - I'll find out the French for snowboard...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good page Matteo, I've bookmarked that. Just to let you know though, in Switzerland last week, reds were "Mittelschwer" (middle severe?), blacks were "Schwer" (severe?) and blues were "Beginner". I think the last one's obvious.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
masopa, the French have a gift for taking English words and giving them entirely different meanings. Hence snowboarding is "faire du surf", and more often these days "faire du snow"....

As for "mashed potatoes", les grenouilles usually refer to it as "soupe" or "purée". Gets confusing!
latest report
there were a few erreurs on your translations... a chair lift is un télésiege, a poma is un téléski or un tire cul, a T-bar is un tire fesses, a bubble lift is une télécabine.

oh and in German a Poma is ein schleplift... c/f yiddish - schlepp 'to drag'

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 25-02-04 17:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
My French mate has just told me that a snowboarder is called "un pédé".

So if you want to learn, you should ask how to become a "pédé". Apparently Laughing
snow report
sherman-maeir, afaik the draglifts are referred to as 'téléski' in polite company, as a 'tire-fesses' in less polite company, and as for 'tire-cul'.... well, I don't know what company you keep!

The bubbles are also called "les oeufs" btw. The T-bars are usually referred as "les T"....
ski holidays
masopa wrote:
So if you want to learn, you should ask how to become a "pédé". Apparently Laughing

ahhh okay wink

If you want to buy some boot warmers to warm up your chaussures du snow, you need to ask for les bites chaud.
latest report
PG wrote:

The bubbles are also called "les oeufs" btw.

ha, I normally call the French les zoufs.
latest report
I have it on the authority of my nine year old son that "snowboard" in French is "le snowboard", board being pronounced with a drawled "o" and the guttural French "r".
ski holidays
Cee Bee, 'surf', 'snow', 'planche', 'snowboard', even 'board', take your pick, all are valid in difference circumstances....
snow report
And in each case incomprehensible to the anglo ear! (Compare: Australian tourist asking taxi driver to be taken to the Eyeful Towel.)
latest report
Cee Bee, It's strange, but although I have no problem with pronunciation of 'real' French (no merit, it's my job), I have big problems if I should find myself (horror of horrors) trying to order in Le Kentucky or Le Macdo... how they decide to pronounce words of Anglo-Saxon origin defeats me every time - it's neither fish nor fowl..... if you'll excuse the pun! What's more, they attach the oddest - and often entirely inappropriate - meanings to some of their adopted words!
Sorry, definitely drifting off-topic here.......
snow report
I visited Paris with one of my students to meet a chap called Mr Pine, who she'd worked with before; she took enormous pleasure in booking a table at a restaurant under the name of Mr Pine... Very Happy
snow conditions
I'm not going to stop our drift ... I spent weeks listening to a colleague talk about her trips to 'dooneel' before I figured out she was shopping across the street at Dunhill's. Embarassed
snow conditions
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
I visited Paris with one of my students to meet a chap called Mr Pine, who she'd worked with before; she took enormous pleasure in booking a table at a restaurant under the name of Mr Pine... Very Happy

yes but they would have to pronounce it 'peene'
latest report
Language difficulties, they can lead to so many misunderstandings... which reminds me of a true story about a non French-speaking friend of mine who I'd arranged to stay in a French friend's flat in Lyon some years back. He turned up there with his girlfriend but 'Yves' was out. On a scrap of paper Steve wrote "La plume de ma tante est dans le jardin', the only French he knew, (French equivalent of "my tailor is rich"), signed it, jammed it in the door, and went for a pint or three. Came back an hour or so later, still no Yves, but the message had disappeared. Decided to wait. Couple of minutes later, loud sound of heavy boots pounding up several flights of stairs (no lift). Half a dozen out of breath CRS (police heavy brigade) appear, grab Steve, pin him to the wall, yell at him in unintelligible French. Steve of course hasn't a clue what's going on. One CRS produces the message... anyway to cut a long story short, the building's resident busybody in the flat below had gone upstairs after Steve had left the message, read it, and phoned the police to inform them that an old lady had apparently been murdered and buried somewhere in the grounds of the building. Fortunately Yves turned up in the nick of, calm was restored, and a jolly good laugh was had by all while the busybody crept off, his tail between his legs, to the accompaniment of "My tailoor ees reetch" from the now multilingual gendarmes present.
Not a word of a lie, I swear....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not for use on Italian chair lift with very attractive member of the opposite sex... "Vorrei accarezzare le tue natiche!" Twisted Evil

Monty Python has a lot to answer for.
snow conditions
sherman-maeir, indeed - but Mr Pine was on sabbatical and it would appear that Peene is the appropriate pronunciation - he used to get phone calls from youths who'd found him on minitel, ring up and ask who was speaking...

What's with this "My tailor is rich?" thing - I've heard it several times before and I can't for the life of me work out what use it would be. Shocked ("M. Marsaud est dans le salle a manger", seems to ring a bell with me).
latest report
PG: liked your story. Mate of mine, anaesthetist, does lots of wonderful work in Africa. He was recently at a country where French was second language. He approached one guy and tried to explain who he was. "Anaesthetist" was obviously not a term understood. So Keith tried "Vous dormez avec moi". The guy, and his family collapsed in peels of laughter. He went off to sleep laughing the next day.
snow report
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
sherman-maeir, indeed - but Mr Pine was on sabbatical and it would appear that Peene is the appropriate pronunciation

quite so, or at least as far as my schoolboy French goes

Ian Hopkinson wrote:

What's with this "My tailor is rich?" thing - I've heard it several times before and I can't for the life of me work out what use it would be. Shocked ("M. Marsaud est dans le salle a manger", seems to ring a bell with me).

You need to order a copy of Sky! Mortimer!

eet weel explain tous

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 26-02-04 9:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
"Vous dormez avec moi". The guy, and his family collapsed in peels of laughter. He went off to sleep laughing the next day.

reminds me of a friend who told his French host "baisez tout le monde pour moi".
snow conditions
I also note from Matteo's site that there French apparantly do not have "Patrollers". Interesting !! Shocked
snow report
Ehi masopa no problem, it's not all mine, I mean, I only speak (badly) a couple of languages, so I collected the sentences from a thread at epicski, that's why the black diamond and the like btw, this summer and tried to organize the whole thing...you know, when there's no snow (or there is no money to go to the snow)...think snow!

shanky, shermanthanks!

moosepig, definitely I wouldn't use that sentence anywhere but with someone I know well enough to joke with

Tony I think that Patrollers are Patrolleurs, could that be right? I think that that function is carried on mostly by the Gendarmerie, iicr, but does that function exist in France?

Also, it's just a "work in progress" that I'd like to expand and, of course, correct...
I've yet to decide if that is to be a simple dictionary (how do I dare call that page a dictionary!!) which provides "pure" translations or tries to carry over the cultural spins of each languages (a thing I doubt I'm able to do) and match it to a corresponding spin (if that exist) oh well, in a couple of months the season will be over and I'll have time to work on...
snow report
Matteo wrote:
Tony I think that Patrollers are Patrolleurs, could that be right? I think that that function is carried on mostly by the Gendarmerie, iicr, but does that function exist in France?

Pisteurs, I think, and they work for the service des pistes who work for the ski resort.
snow conditions
Thanks, see my dilemma now?
latest report
My daughter fell about laughing a few years ago when I took my broken goggles into a french shop and asked 'avez-vouse les glass pour mon goggles'. She said they don't sell ice cream, dad.
latest report
A mate last week turned up at NTC on the first evening, with his NTC hired skis and asked "Kann Ich liebe meine skis ueber nicht?"

Fair play to him for trying though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy