Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Montalbert La Plagne Villaroger Paradiski Challenge

Poster: A snowHead
Roger C well done great result posted in the results thread Toofy Grin
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46446#1185735

Hope your legs are OK for the return trip, looking forward to the full SP Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks Boredsurfing, as promised here are the details of today's gentle tour around the Paradiski area!!!!

After the snow on Sunday/Monday we decided that today would be a good day to try and improve on the time that we Matt and I achieved on New Year's Day. So at 9.05am Empinky Chris, Foxthesnow Matt and I set out from Montalbert.

We had a good run to the VE with the longest queue being at the Grand Rochette but even that was less than 5 mins. Pistes weren't too busy and it only really got crowded as we started to descend towards the VE.

As we'd done the Challenge once before we knew which runs/lifts we wanted but on arriving at the Transarc mid statin there was a long queue so following helpful advice earlier in this thread we headed for the chair just behind it, Grand Renard . Half way up this is started snowing heavily, not ideal for Chris as he goggles where in Montalbert Sad

From the top of this it is a fairly flat blue road to Arc 200 and the last lift up towards Villaroger so this probably cost us a few mins especially as I managed to do a face plant into a gully! On the run down to the half way stop we all had serious thigh burn but Matt insisted on setting a fast pace so on we battled through the snow until a few mins before Villaroger it cleared up making things a little easier.

The round of Chocolat Chaud's in La Ferme was very welcome as was the chance to take off our boots for 10 mins. Last time we'd managed 50 mins for the Villaroger to VE section so with plenty of wind and snow higher up we knew this would be difficult to beat. Luckily the lift queues we'd seen on the way down had disappeared and we made it all the way back to the VE without stopping once and more importantly in a new PB time Very Happy achieved mainly through plenty of polling along the flatter sections!

As we uplifted back towards La Plagne the heavy snow continued and the chair lifts were a very cold place to be. Approaching Plagne Bellacote our time was good but the prospect of a long wait at Colussus loomed large. Luckily the terrible vis had sent the crowds in for lunch so no queue here either Very Happy

An uneventful but snowy return to Montalbert and three aching, tired but happy snowHeads headed were very satisfied with the times achieved especially considering conditions were a little too snowy for at least half of the adventure!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Roger C, Well done! I take it you mean the Colussus drag lift on the way back, after all you wouldn't want to waste all that time sitting on the Colussus chair, would you Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roger C, Good work, good times considering the conditions..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
got back last night after a great week in Montalbert

here is a pic of us proudly wearing the Gillets in Villaroger at the half way stage of the challenge Very Happy

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
been a busy week since getting back hence the delay with this.....

Thur March 12th - Mrs C and Mrs Empinky headed off on the Challenge, well at least the first half of it as we were going to meet them in Villaroger then take the kids swimming in Bourg (as it happens we blokes did not get into the pool as we did not have the necessary peanut smugglers but that's a whole other thread!!!)

They had a good run from Montalbert to the VE - 1hr 13, then from the VE to Villaroger 1 hr 23 but unfortunately on this leg of the trip disaster struck and Mrs Empinky missed a turing and therefore ended up on a run where the link to Villaroger was closed! So it was only Mrs C who actually made it. Note the proud Gillet wearing wink

Faced with going up to Arc 2000 to start again Mrs Empinky decided to start up a new Challenge of Vanoise Express to Bourg via nearly Villaroger and here she is getting of the funicular rather embarrassed Laughing

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BUMP

Here we go lets do it again in 2009/2010 snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Any thoughts on the new 1800 lift and Bergerie lift making the challenge longer or shorter?
Any new lifts in Les Arcs that make a difference?
I understand the extension to The Fat Controllers place in the Arc 2000 bowl will make pushing/ walking along there even longer?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Arpette in Les Arcs has been substantially upgraded. I think the Col du Fret has been removed. Can anyone confirm that.

It would be good if someone could publish and "official" routes for comparison purposes. Also is the time waiting and on the Vanoise Express included?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gravystuffing wrote:
The Arpette in Les Arcs has been substantially upgraded. I think the Col du Fret has been removed. Can anyone confirm that.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52299&highlight=
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Any thoughts on the new 1800 lift and Bergerie lift making the challenge longer or shorter?

Shorter - Monty to VE
Boredsurfing wrote:
Any new lifts in Les Arcs that make a difference?

Nope - all too far away
Boredsurfing wrote:
I understand the extension to The Fat Controllers place in the Arc 2000 bowl will make pushing/ walking along there even longer?

need to see it to understand what they've done - besides Lanchettes is a red-herring right Wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gravystuffing, It's all in this thread.
The route is the challenge.
The timing is Mb to VE and then VE to V.
(and/or Vice Versa)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boredsurfing wrote:
gravystuffing, It's all in this thread.
The route is the challenge.
The timing is Mb to VE and then VE to V.
(and/or Vice Versa)

I think not including the Vanoise travelling time is poor, it should be end to end time in including travel.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Has anyone tried Montalbert, Champagny, Villaroger, Arcs 1600 to rival Meribel, Les Menuires, Val Thorens or Courchevel in the Three Valleys?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 1-11-09 13:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We could throw in Montchavin for good measure rolling eyes

Anything 3 valleys can do surely we can do better Toofy Grin
snow report
thefatcontroller, We don't include the VE because depending on date time day of week etc etc they run only one or both some days both run at peak times peak weeks both run continuously. So it is fairest to all concerned not to include it.
But hey, if you want to include it in your overall time go ahead, as I said in the original post it's only for fun Toofy Grin
You can post your resultant time in the results thread
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46446#1109437
snow report
Boredsurfing, very cool to see others are interested in having a go this coming season. Let's try to meet up whilst you are here over new year to set a time if the snow is ok.
snow report
snowcrazy, Yes indeed looking forward to it! My mobile number is unchanged is yours the same?
snow conditions
The snow has started to fall and the Challenge for this winter is nearly upon us. Anyone fancy doing this on the first saturday that the link is open, 19th Dec, please post here or PM me.
snow report
Can i just say that as an intermedate skier, not having the speed to make the attempt on this worthwhile

but having been there for Xmas last year - I enjoy reading this thread, as its places I have skied, and some
of the narratives are just what you need on a wet night in England so you can relive parts of your holiday.

GOOD LUCK AND GOD SPEED TO ALL WHO TRY !

Have lots of fun trying
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, it might have been already said somewhere on the 12 pages , and I did look at the thread last year even though I was nowhere near the place and the ability to do it but :
what is this challenge ? who started it ?is there a map ?
thanks Toofy Grin
snow report
Snowdrop wrote:
Boredsurfing, it might have been already said somewhere on the 12 pages , and I did look at the thread last year even though I was nowhere near the place and the ability to do it but :
what is this challenge ? who started it ?is there a map ?
thanks Toofy Grin

Boredsurfing started it - grab a map of Paradiski and find the bottom left lift in villaroger (Replat), then find the bottom right lift in Montalbert (Motalbert). Time how long it takes you to get from one to the the other, and back again. You're permitted to time it in 4 section, excluding the time take to cross the Vanoise Express as it can be a 1 minute wait or a 20 minute wait depending on whether they are running one car or two. Anything under an hour for each section is a good time - possibly nearer 75-90 minutes for less experienced skiers.

Just for fun really - check the first couple of pages of the thread for more details
latest report
bertie bassett, I missed you in the crowd last night;
thank you for the info Little Angel , I went to La Plagne 2 years ago that's why I was lurking at this thread, will get my maps out and have a look wink ,
snow report
Snowdrop,All you need to know is on page 1 (I hope) any more q's just ask away Very Happy
snow report
Anyone got a map of the route to take, like a piste map with the line drawn on Smile going for about 2 weeks to Les Arcs 1800 and was thinking of giving this a try
snow report
charliwest, See the first post on the first page of this thread snowHead
snow report
charliwest, when are you coming to Les Arcs, join us when we are doing it if you like. I have good knees again this year Twisted Evil , then after you see our route you can make up your own as well and do it again, that is half the fun. Really gets your value out of the ski pass as well.

Boredsurfing, are you going to join me for a run across this winter on our boards as well. Laughing
snow report
snowcrazy, If your knees are mended, No! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing, see you on the slope, get in that gym Twisted Evil
latest report
snowcrazy, spent 5 hours shovelling and raking fallen leaves, got no energy left for the gym today Laughing
latest report
snowcrazy, thanks, I have finally booked after securing my accommodation (a friends floor) so will be arriving late 28th Dec, still not sure on when I'm leaving, prob 8th or 9th Jan. A meet up would be good, my friends will be working so will be good to ski with a few others as well. Staying in 1800 so not the best starting point Smile
snow report
charliwest, Hiya. Send me a pm with which end you are staying at in 1800 and we can meet up for a beer, plan some riding. I am in Chez Bou Bou or Bar King Mad some days as well. hope the rain stops and the snow comes back tonight. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
It's quite possible that it's only me and my friends and family who are still interested in the Montalbert to Villaroger Challenge Embarassed but as we spent a couple of weeks in Monty over Christmas and NY we had to have a crack at the challenge! In fact I had two goes at it, once on my birthday (December 30th) where the inevitable peak week lift queues slowed us down and once on Jan 4th and the much quieter pistes were reflected in the times.

After having at least half a dozen goes at the challenge I'm still trying different routes which I must admit dont always pay off (dont mention the Transarc 1 lift queue to my friend Matt M - he's still gutted about the 10 mins we spent there!)

For our times see the results thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46446#1109437

Hope some others have a go this year as well Very Happy
snow conditions
Roger C, we will be giving it a go next week Very Happy providing its all skiable Puzzled
snow conditions
Now there are not so many people about, with current conditions when Villaroger opens again I shall give it another go with all the new lifts. Should be interesting.
ski holidays
snowcrazy wrote:
Now there are not so many people about, with current conditions when Villaroger opens again I shall give it another go with all the new lifts. Should be interesting.

Indeed, I might give it a go with my buddies in a couple of weeks time, will seem strange doing it the 'wrong' way round - i.e starting at montybear though...
snow conditions
Have a great off piste route worked out now for when there is more snow to do the challenge this season. Anyone else interested in joining me for this route let me know. I hope to give the normal piste route a go tomorrow. Very Happy Blue sky and few people around. Toofy Grin
snow report
snowcrazy, just busy reading various threads! i know it is only the summer, i am out in early dec to do some work and of course some skiing and leave mid jan before we return in march. so i would gladly love to catch up and discuss some routes, just give me a shout or meet you for a beer early dec.
snow report
BUMP

2013/2014 An interesting season for the challenge with the removal of the Coqs lift in the Montalbert sector and the La Roche lift perhaps running faster.
Toofy Grin
If plans come to fruition for the 2014/2015 season the new Montalbert Gondola will take just 7 minutes to rise to the Fornelet ridge currently around 30 mins!
ski holidays
Is it worth starting a new one! My previous thread was 2011??
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy