Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Montalbert La Plagne Villaroger Paradiski Challenge

Poster: A snowHead
Still have a few GILETS left..........................
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So for those of us that are stayin in Plan-Peisey are we allowed to add the 'outward' leg to Villargoer to the time for Montalbert to the Pesiey side of the VE - as otherwise I'd need to effectively do 3 'runs'..

VE to Villaroger
Villaroger to VE
VE to Montalbert
Montalbert to VE
VE to Villaroger
Cruise home dead...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bertie bassett, Very good results today, I assume you had your ski's on! Very Happy
But no, Its The Montalbert-Villaroger Challenge (or Vice-versa.)
I only added the 'break' at the Vanoise Express because of the vague schedule it keeps (is there an official timetable?) some days it runs both cabins continuously other days it only runs one every 30 mins!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boredsurfing wrote:
bertie bassett, Very good results today, I assume you had your ski's on! Very Happy
But no, Its The Montalbert-Villaroger Challenge (or Vice-versa.)
I only added the 'break' at the Vanoise Express because of the vague schedule it keeps (is there an official timetable?) some days it runs both cabins continuously other days it only runs one every 30 mins!

Definitely had skis on - you'd lose about 10 minutes in total just strapping/un strapping and those silly 20 yd link runs between lifts are just a pain if you can't slide easily from one to another, and I hate one footed boarding - I usually end-up doing the splits.

Good to get an official decision on the times then, I'll need to find a quiet saturday then as I reckon that's 2 hours each way plus an hour to Villaroger and back, so starting at 11:30 doesn't give you enough time to complete it. Doubt it will be this Saturday as it's looking like a powder fest.

I think I can shave a little off the time to Montybear with more time on skis, there's not a lot to be found on the run to the VE from Villaroger however. I'm impressed with your 55 minutes from VE to Villaroger, took me 10 minutes longer on the way out, although I was throttling back a little as it was only a 're-location' run rather than a 'timed run'.

Overall I thought it was great fun, and it definitely made me put my foot down both down the pistes and by swerving through slow tourists in the lift queues...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bertie bassett, ntfarmer reckons we could shave 10 mins off the MB to VE time and about 5 off the VE to V time. Problem with Saturday runs is that a lot of the lifts are run slowly or are closed!
The secret of our VE to V time is the route that snowcrazy took us on in December.
I'm really hoping that cockofthenorth will put up a time for VE to V as he is still young enough to hold a tuck all the way down to the village Toofy Grin and he has done Montybear to 1950 in an hour! But I think we may have to wait until March when his business quietens down!
(He is not eligible for the challenge being an ex FIS skier) Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Watch this space. If the right lifts are open the VE to V section could be done in less than 40min. Sorry not sharing this one with you yet. Clue, study your piste map. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowcrazy, but how often is the Rhonaz drag open?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
snowcrazy, but how often is the Rhonaz drag open?

It's always been closed when I've looked that way, still might have another proper look come sunday / monday when hopefully it might be more likely to be open given a little drop of snow we've been having. Definitely got the potential to be quicker than Lanchettes...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bertie bassett, I think it is only open when high wind close the top lifts, and it is used as a "measure of last resort" to keep the link to Villaroger open. It might well have been open today.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Blimey guys now I am confused. Was planning the challenge next week but the mention of a drag (me on board) has sent shivers down my spine Toofy Grin . I will stick the route I know well and sod the time Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mouth wrote:
Blimey guys now I am confused. Was planning the challenge next week but the mention of a drag (me on board) has sent shivers down my spine Toofy Grin . I will stick the route I know well and sod the time Toofy Grin

Hey Mouth - I quite fancy doing it on a board (conditions permitting) - fancy making a go of it together?

Can do the route without drags, that's for sure...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mouth, bertie bassett, Now that is an idea. If you really are going to do it on your boards, please do let me know, fancy giving that a go as well but so far not found anyone interested. To many flat spots.

Mouth, Tows on boards are fun Twisted Evil as long as you get it right, if not Skullie

rob@rar, yes it was open today but then most of the others needed were not so still an un-tried route, but here's hoping. Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowcrazy, I can't believe that road the other side of the drag would be quicker than lanchettes - especially given that rhonaz opens when blah blah, and so there is usually a lot of snow on that flat to slow you even more. I know there are some short cuts through the trees, but even so, I'm intrigued!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skip Transarc, take Grand renard, hack it all the way down to Rhonaz, keeping to the left hand side slopes through the bowl avoiding flat bits. Intriguing Very Happy
snow conditions
JimW, thefatcontroller, If I am around when the right conditions prevail I will give it a go and post the time. So far not had the chance to put my theory to the test, and yes, you need to know the short cuts. But then that would really be telling to much Toofy Grin
latest report
Mouth, Boredsurfing, What about over on your side, are there any little secrects you fancy sharing so that we can make the times even more interesting. Sitting here thinking aboout it I have one or two ideas but they are a little extreme.
snow conditions
snowcrazy wrote:
Mouth, Boredsurfing, What about over on your side, are there any little secrects you fancy sharing so that we can make the times even more interesting. Sitting here thinking aboout it I have one or two ideas but they are a little extreme.
I'm not sure 'speed flying' is permitted under the rules of the challenge, even if you're nutty enough to give it a go...
ski holidays
bertie bassett, Are but you do not take your skis off and you are not skinning up either, so must be ok. Let's ask the boss? Please make a ruling, can we fly bits of the route, bet you never thought of that one? Or are we just getting a bit to silly.

On a serious note, Mouth, Boredsurfing, do you think coming off any of the blacks from the top of Aime Plagne are quicker than the red/blue down to the chair linking to the Mont Albert section or not?
snow conditions
snowcrazy, I refer you to the first post in this thread wink
Blacks palsembleu maybe, there is an 'alternative' lift in the Montalbert sector (outbound) !
Also there is an alternative piste for those with good speed on narrow tracks and uphill (inbound) wink
snow report
Boredsurfing, Thanks, I know the lift and the piste you are talking about. Do they ever piste those blacks, last time I was over there were very large moguls everywhere. Not easy to take a fast line down.

You really did try to think of everything we might dream up, I am impressed. Guess that counts out Paragliding as well (you can keep your skis on in winter with that as well, if you have not tried it yet, well worth the expense. Really fun). I guess kites would be bending the rules a bit to far. But it is fast becoming a big sport on our side. A little crazy but fun. This week is a big comp in Les Arcs on the Robert Blanc face. And they may well be base jumping the VE this coming week again as well. Worth coming over just to watch. I think somewhere someone has already posted links for the details.
ski holidays
snowcrazy, I've never seen any of La Plagnes blacks pisted snowHead
BBC2 Showed the guys kitting down to la ferme while Hammond raced in an Audi TT again this evening Very Happy
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
Also there is an alternative piste for those with good speed on narrow tracks and uphill (inbound) wink

Nah - you end up walking / poling too much on that route, I tested as a reconoitre last week...

Boredsurfing wrote:
there is an 'alternative' lift in the Montalbert sector (outbound) !

Do you mean the teleski? - never seen it open yet this season..but I guess they don't bother unless they are using the stade course..
ski holidays
Righty ho folks we are on for the best half term time Shocked
Same format as previously.
Post your times for
Montalbert to the Vanoise Express
Vanoise Express to Villaroger
or vice versa Very Happy

Does Villaroger ever get busy? Toofy Grin
snow report
I think the teleski is only open during peak weeks but I'm sure Boredsurfing, can tell us
ski holidays
Bonhomme de Neige, the teleski that bertie bassett, is refering to is only open when the stadium is in use wink
ski holidays
sorry I have an annoying follow on question now. Who (is it Clubs?) uses stad - and is it ad hoc times? ie when there are races?
latest report
Bonhomme de Neige, It appears to be the ski club of Montalbert only, sometimes the Ski club of La Plagne are there as well. Usually mornings only during the afternoon it is an open piste.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ok and that top bit only accessible via the teleski is not open, even tho the rest of it is an open piste

sorry wrong place to ask but...
snow conditions
Bonhomme de Neige if it's the bit i'm thinking of you can ski it anytime as long as you dont mind the walk up to the start Laughing
latest report
Bonhomme de Neige, The stadium is also served by the chairlift which is higher than the start. The draglift is across the piste from the start.
snow report
Depending on the weather I will give this another go on Wed or Thursday. redrunmarcus, will you be around so that I can collect my Gilet. Never tried it on my own so the time should be interesting, will not have to wait at lifts etc.
snow conditions
snowcrazy,
Quote:

I can collect my Gilet. Never tried it on, so the time should be interesting, will not have to wait at lifts etc.

Wow does the Gilet mean you can go to the front of the queue? Very Happy
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, That's what I am hoping. Toofy Grin After all we have our special tops now. Trouble is it will be hidden under my winter clothes with this weather we are having now.
latest report
Well we set out to do the Half Term family Montalbert to Villaroger, set out in good time, got through Bellecote in about 5 mins, got across the Vanoise Express to be greeted with the news that the new Derby chairlift in les Arcs would be closed all day due to 'technical issues'. OK so on down to the Trans Arc ...........which had stopped and the ensuing queue was horrendous. So off with the skis and walk up to the next lift, amazingly with no queue, after a long slow ride up we skied down to Renard (a 3 seater not many of them around these days!) got on and about half way up it promptly broke down! After hanging around in the cold for 5 mins or so we carried on, by now it was too late to get down to Villaroger and back so we went down to 1950 for lunch, only €3 for a hot choccy, from reports on here I was expecting to pay twice that wink
Anyway we then headed back to La plagne, which BTW I reckon was at least 5c warmer Very Happy

Maybe next year...........when Les Arcs has sorted out it's mechanical problems Confused
ski holidays
On Sunday 1/3/09 BBC 2 is showing the Top Gear version of the Villaroger challenge where Richard Hammond races to Villaroger driving an Audu RS6 v. A couple of the Les Arcs locals. Toofy Grin snowHead
latest report
Boredsurfing, i wonder if Les Arcs are paying for this publicity or is it all really free Twisted Evil I think this is the third time I have heard of this being on TV again this winter. They made this show last year. But the boys on the Kites do a great job. We had lunch at Le Ferme today. Far to busy for me right now.
snow report
Just posted some results on the results page - damn I want to do it again (with some route mods and a big whip Twisted Evil ) - but I am stuck back in the UK now - booooo hooooo Crying or Very sad
snow report
beeryletcher wrote:
Just posted some results on the results page - damn I want to do it again (with some route mods and a big whip Twisted Evil ) - but I am stuck back in the UK now - booooo hooooo Crying or Very sad

Give us a shout if you come out again. I'll give you some suggestions on routes and am up for doing it again...
ski holidays
bertie bassett, Sadly, unlikely this season - finances (unless the lottery comes through) are low this year, with a baby on the way, and 2 older ones eating my wallet already !

Nice meeting you by the way.

Cheers
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy